• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Versatile Sun Team?

What is the best weather inducer?

• Ninetales

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Politoed

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Tyranitar

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Hippowdon

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Groudon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyogre

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I HATE weather teams!

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Alright, here is a team I have been testing with good results, I just wanted a few opinions to turn that good into great. Feel free to give your full opinion, don't sugar-coat anything, I can take all criticism

Donphan2.png

Donphan @ Custap berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Atk, 44 Def
Nature: Impish
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Donphan is the lead and is guaranteed to get up his Stealth Rocks. The custap allows him to either spin away his opponents rocks, OHKO or severely damgae the enemy lead with either EQ or seed bomb, whichever they are weak to. Seed bomb is incredibly useful against bulky waters, especially quagsire, swampert and other water/ground types. With the defensive EVs not as high it allows him to still take weak hits but assures he gets to use his berry by getting his Sturdy activated. I like taking advantage of his attack, especially with the custap berry so thats what the EVs there are for. The HP EVs is just for over all bulk.

He often dies after his custap so I guess he is a suicidal lead, but I can occasionally bring him out later.

ninetailsshiny.png

Ninetales @ Leftovers?
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP, 184 Def, 72 s. def
Nature: Bold
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Toxic
- Protect

This is my bulky ninetales, a toxic staller and a booster combined. He likes to switch in after Donphan and get the sun up, which is his main objective. He also breaks walls by using Toxic and Protect, especially Eviolite Chansey, and Eviolite Dusklops. He forces the chansey to switch out if it wants to be cured, which gives him an oppurtunity to Nasty Plot. His flamethrower is his only attack because it is STAB, in the sun which deals alot of damage without even a trickle of EVs in s.atk. The EVs are to make him a mixed wall of sorts; HP EVs for overall bulk, 184 in Def gives him a good 255 in the stat. 72 in s. def makes it 254, which is perfect for making him mixed. He can take hits and get leftovers to allow him to either Nasty Plot or Toxic the opponent.

Gengar.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP, 252 s.atk, 252 spe
Nature: Timid
- Shadow ball
- Taunt
- Hidden Power (fire)
- Thunderbolt

Alright, just your basic Gengar with a basic EV set for a special sweeper. HP fire gives him a sun abusing move. Thunderbolt is there to kill bulky waters/flyers. Mandibuzz and Milotic fear him greatly and often switch out allowing him to (hopefully) sweep 1-2 more pokes. He is used whenever during the game and is not designated late or early. Shadow ball is your basic Gengar move and is always on him for STAB and for neutral/super effective damage. Taunt stops several pokemon in their tracks and is useful.

arcanine.png

Arcanine @ Muscle Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 spe
Nature: Jolly
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun

Here is your basic arcanine, but with a special purpose on this team: absorbing fire from opponents who think they are clever to abuse MY sun. He is my priority user and Physical Sweeper. His EVs are just your basic physical sweeping set. He is also Heatrans worst nightmare: Flash Fire, Close Combat and a priority. I prefer the Muscle band over a choice item as it gives ME the choice for my move. He can take down alot with his Flare Blitz and what he cant he can finish off with ExtremeSpeed. Close Combat destroys Dark types like tyranitar and gives him a powerful move for those who resist Flare Blitz. Morning Sun is to use when the opponent switches or uses a weak attack.

Cresselia.png

Cresselia @ Leftovers? not sure as I can only have one lefties
EVs: 252 HP, 228 Def, 28 s. def
Nature: Calm
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Alright, here is my wall, the EVs make her mixed and she is exceptionally bulky. Moonlight is her recovery, the sun allows her to get 2/3 back each time she uses it. She is my go to when it comes to scouting and switching in, she uses her Thunder Wave to cripple weavile, mienshao, infernape, Gengar, all those speedy sweepers. Her Psychic destroys the fighting types and opposing Gengars, it is also useful as a neutral STAB and clears out physical walls. Ice Beam is for all of those 4x weak; Dragonite, Salamence, Gliscor, Landorus etc. and helps out with those that are 2x weak also. She is beautiful at walling and is a definite strength of the team.

071-Victreebel.png

Victreebel @ Wiseglasses
Ability: Chlroropyll
EVs: 4 HP, 252 S. atk, 252 spe
Nature: Timid?
- SolarBeam
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power (rock)
- Weather Ball

Here is my MVP along with Cresselia, he gets a speed of 524 in the sun due to Chloropyll combined with his EVs and Nature. Solarbeam dominates in the sun, and takes down alot, milotic, swampert, and still destroys with neutral damage. Weather Ball becomes a base 100 fire attack in the sun, and is great for takin down those who wudve walled Victreebel. Energy ball is for when the sun isnt yet up and a grass attack is the only thing to stop an opponent. Hidden Power is for flyers and scares the crap out of them to, they usually assume its ice and switch to a fire, allowing me to take them out with 1-2 HPs. This thing is crazy fast in the sun, and outspeeds almost everthing save a the rare ninjask and accelgor, these get destroyed by his weatherball regardless. Wiseglasses are here for the same reason that the Muscle band is on Arcanine.

Thanks Everyone,

~TJ

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
I would really appreciate some advice and suggestions, this is a bump so hopefully more people will see this, Any criticism will hep, thanks.

Toxicated92

Water Expert
Ninetails is better with Will-O-Whisp IMO, as it lowers opponents Attack once they have been burned.
And have you had a look at choice scarf Chandelure over a Arcanine?
The Cressila is a nice touch and i do like Victreebel, weather ball is a amazing move with him, just purely because of the 1 on 1 with another grass pokemon in the sun=yo have clear advantage :D
and I'm not a fan of Donphan but he seems to be in a suitable team for him.

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Thanks for the advice, I have considered chandelure but I feel like I have no way to deal with Chansey, Tyranitar, Heatran, etc. without arcanines Close Combat. I feel with chandelure I would be lacking in physical strength to much.

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Poke Cannon congrats on reaching, 900 posts ^^. Can you rate my team?

insomnimaniac11

I Destroy You!
haxorus kills gengar with eq donphan with dual chop ninetails with eq arcanine with eq and creselia and victreebel are taken care of with tyranitar.

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
umm, cud u be more specific? r we talkin a lead haxorus? lead tyranitar? cuz this team destroys SS. For example lead tyranitar, donphan lives crunch, uses SR then EQs with an SS boost, i switch to cresselia to bait a crunch, switch to arcanine to live the crunch, use Close Combat, no more Tyranitar, I switch to Ninetales and I have my Sun Up.

Telling me that I get owned by such and so doesnt help if you dont use an actual scenario, Cresselia can live 2 outrages from a Haxorus no problem, she can T-wave then ice beam him to death after she moonlights if needed.

Last edited:

insomnimaniac11

I Destroy You!
haxorus leads and double chops donphan to death. you bring in creselia to ice beam or t wave and tyranitar comes out. you are right about switching creselia but i prefer pursuit to crunch as i can predict switch ins easily. i am sorry though not many people use pursuit tyranitar and your team is pretty good. can you help me with my team when your done with this one. its called metal rain on the threads

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Sir, it seems you have not put this through damage calculations, Donphan is a PHYSICAL wall, my Donphan, with 31 IVs in both HP and Def with the spread listed above, gets between 21 and 25% of its HP taken per chop from a BANDED jolly haxorus, this means after losing a little less than half of my HP I get up my rocks, he will chop again and I will EQ after he chops, taking between 55 and 65% of haxorus' hp having somewhere between 1 and 16% of my health left, this will DEFINITELY activate the custap, allowing me to get a priority EQ killing the haxorus

I want advice on my team, not an assumption of the damage it can take, I do not want to start an argument but I would prefer you are sure of things before posting.

Haxorus is just going to Outrage Donphan, doing 95.6% - 112.8% (2HKO with Sturdy) with Rivalry or 71.9% - 84.6% with Mold Breaker. It won't Double Chop. You lay rocks and get one solid attack off before death. This works fine in most cases!

Use Focus Blast over Thunderbolt on Gengar otherwise Ferrothorn, Scizor, Tyranitar etc will wall you to death. You don't need Thunderbolt, many water types like Jellicent and Starmie take more from other moves. You also cripple their STAB with rain.

Try this Victreebel instead..

Victreebel @ Life Orb (or if you play with Item Clause Wiseglasses is ok)
Lonely
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Special Attack

Leaf Blade
Weather Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder / Growth / Hidden Power Ground

Weather Ball OHKOs Skarmory in the sun as well as decimating Ferrothorn and Forrretress. Leaf Blade cuts down most bulky waters and grounds. Sludge Bomb has ok coverage with Leaf Blade and Weather Ball only leaving you walled by Heatran. The last slot is up to you. Sleep Powder can cripple something (aka a counter). Growth gives you sweeping potential and Hidden Power Ground lets you KO Heatran.

Also you are somewhat weak to dragon moves and a bit reliant on sun to not lose instantly. Maybe run Specs Ninetales instead? Try this.

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 HP

Overheat
Hidden Power Fighting
Energy Ball
Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

With Stealth Rocks down HP Fighting should 2HKO all but the most bulky of Tyranitar. Energy Ball 2HKOs most Politoed and Hippowdon. Once the opposing weather Pokemon are gone you are free to cut teams apart with crazy boosted Overheats that can strip 47% off a Blissey! The last move is filler as Ninetales movepool is really bad. Toxic can get rid of a Latios I guess.

Good luck!

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Haxorus is just going to Outrage Donphan, doing 95.6% - 112.8% (2HKO with Sturdy) with Rivalry or 71.9% - 84.6% with Mold Breaker. It won't Double Chop. You lay rocks and get one solid attack off before death. This works fine in most cases!

Use Focus Blast over Thunderbolt on Gengar otherwise Ferrothorn, Scizor, Tyranitar etc will wall you to death. You don't need Thunderbolt, many water types like Jellicent and Starmie take more from other moves. You also cripple their STAB with rain.

Try this Victreebel instead..

Victreebel @ Life Orb (or if you play with Item Clause Wiseglasses is ok)
Lonely
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Special Attack

Leaf Blade
Weather Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder / Growth / Hidden Power Ground

Weather Ball OHKOs Skarmory in the sun as well as decimating Ferrothorn and Forrretress. Leaf Blade cuts down most bulky waters and grounds. Sludge Bomb has ok coverage with Leaf Blade and Weather Ball only leaving you walled by Heatran. The last slot is up to you. Sleep Powder can cripple something (aka a counter). Growth gives you sweeping potential and Hidden Power Ground lets you KO Heatran.

Also you are somewhat weak to dragon moves and a bit reliant on sun to not lose instantly. Maybe run Specs Ninetales instead? Try this.

Ninetales @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 HP

Overheat
Hidden Power Fighting
Energy Ball
Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

With Stealth Rocks down HP Fighting should 2HKO all but the most bulky of Tyranitar. Energy Ball 2HKOs most Politoed and Hippowdon. Once the opposing weather Pokemon are gone you are free to cut teams apart with crazy boosted Overheats that can strip 47% off a Blissey! The last move is filler as Ninetales movepool is really bad. Toxic can get rid of a Latios I guess.

Good luck!

Thanks for rating it is appreciated,

@Victreebel

I am not sure about making it mixed, I know I am lacking in physical attack but I dont like the Idea of being outsped by the bugs. Unfortunately I have just recently bred for a near flawless Victreebel(Bellsprout) with HP rock so I will use that set for a while.

I prefer the glasses because often times I send out my Victreebel against a scald/surf and take enough damage to make Life Orb a liability (especially with a burn with scald).

And yes, I do play with the item clause.

@Gengar

Victreebel is afraid of Milotic with Ice beam and thats when Gengar's T-bolt comes in handy. He also likes crushing gyarados and other flyers. So im not sure about focus blast, especially with its low accuracy.

@Ninetales

I don't like the idea of running an offensive set because then my team would be incredibly frail. I may try this on some other team however.

Thanks for the advice,

It would be awesome if you could rate ninetales as a wall, like an improved wall set.

Last edited:

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Bump, does anyone else want to give advice?

Leche

Omg Shiny Scrafty!!!
Alright, here is a team I have been testing with good results, I just wanted a few opinions to turn that good into great. Feel free to give your full opinion, don't sugar-coat anything, I can take all criticism

Donphan2.png

Donphan @ Custap berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP, 212 Atk, 44 Def
Nature: Impish
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

Donphan is the lead and is guaranteed to get up his Stealth Rocks. The custap allows him to either spin away his opponents rocks, OHKO or severely damgae the enemy lead with either EQ or seed bomb, whichever they are weak to. Seed bomb is incredibly useful against bulky waters, especially quagsire, swampert and other water/ground types. With the defensive EVs not as high it allows him to still take weak hits but assures he gets to use his berry by getting his Sturdy activated. I like taking advantage of his attack, especially with the custap berry so thats what the EVs there are for. The HP EVs is just for over all bulk.

He often dies after his custap so I guess he is a suicidal lead, but I can occasionally bring him out later.

ninetailsshiny.png

Ninetales @ Leftovers?
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Will-owisp/toxic
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fighting / Hypnosis / Protect

This is my bulky ninetales, a toxic staller and a booster combined. He likes to switch in after Donphan and get the sun up, which is his main objective. He also breaks walls by using Toxic and Protect, especially Eviolite Chansey, and Eviolite Dusklops. He forces the chansey to switch out if it wants to be cured, which gives him an oppurtunity to Nasty Plot. His flamethrower is his only attack because it is STAB, in the sun which deals alot of damage without even a trickle of EVs in s.atk. The EVs are to make him a mixed wall of sorts; HP EVs for overall bulk, 184 in Def gives him a good 255 in the stat. 72 in s. def makes it 254, which is perfect for making him mixed. He can take hits and get leftovers to allow him to either Nasty Plot or Toxic the opponent. this set allows you to keep ninetails alive as long as possible, spreading status and anguish as it establish drought. Will-o-wisp rapes tyrannitar for starting sandstorm and others. HP fighting can also take down t-tar if neccessary. A reason to use hypnosis? well. it can shut down pokes that otherwise wall ninetails. but it often fails. Also, substitute allows ninetails to safely dispose of balloon-heatran with a 3HKO HP fighting.

Gengar.png

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP, 252 s.atk, 252 spe
- Shadow ball
- Taunt
- Hidden Power (fire)
- Thunderbolt/Focus Blast

Alright, just your basic Gengar with a basic EV set for a special sweeper. HP fire[ gives him a sun abusing move. Thunderbolt is there to kill bulky waters/flyers. Mandibuzz and Milotic fear him greatly and often switch out allowing him to (hopefully) sweep 1-2 more pokes. He is used whenever during the game and is not designated late or early. Shadow ball is your basic Gengar move and is always on him for STAB and for neutral/super effective damage. Taunt stops several pokemon in their tracks and is useful.
Go with focus blast on this one. You can effectively revenge kill stupid normal/fighting types easily. Especially go for this if you run thunderfang on Arcanine (see below)

arcanine.png

Arcanine @ life orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 spe
Nature: Jolly
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat/thunderfang/toxic/will-o-wisp
- Extreme Speed
- Morning Sun

Here is your basic arcanine, but with a special purpose on this team: absorbing fire from opponents who think they are clever to abuse MY sun. He is my priority user and Physical Sweeper. His EVs are just your basic physical sweeping set. He is also Heatrans worst nightmare: Flash Fire, Close Combat and a priority. I prefer the Muscle band over a choice item as it gives ME the choice for my move. He can take down alot with his Flare Blitz and what he cant he can finish off with ExtremeSpeed. Close Combat destroys Dark types like tyranitar and gives him a powerful move for those who resist Flare Blitz. Morning Sun is to use when the opponent switches or uses a weak attack.
this is actually a common set i see, although i ususally see it spreading statushax instead of close combat; thunderfang is an option for a guaranteed rapesauce on gyarados.

Cresselia.png

Cresselia @ Leftovers? not sure as I can only have one lefties
EVs: 252 HP, 228 Def, 28 s. def
Nature: Calm
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight

Alright, here is my wall, the EVs make her mixed and she is exceptionally bulky. Moonlight is her recovery, the sun allows her to get 2/3 back each time she uses it. She is my go to when it comes to scouting and switching in, she uses her Thunder Wave to cripple weavile, mienshao, infernape, Gengar, all those speedy sweepers. Her Psychic destroys the fighting types and opposing Gengars, it is also useful as a neutral STAB and clears out physical walls. Ice Beam is for all of those 4x weak; Dragonite, Salamence, Gliscor, Landorus etc. and helps out with those that are 2x weak also. She is beautiful at walling and is a definite strength of the team.
dont know what to say here, never used this poke. :[

071-Victreebel.png

Victreebel @ Wiseglasses
Ability: Chlroropyll
EVs: 4 HP, 252 S. atk, 252 spe
Nature: Timid?
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day/Sleep powder
- Hidden Power (rock)
- Weather Ball

Here is my MVP along with Cresselia, he gets a speed of 524 in the sun due to Chloropyll combined with his EVs and Nature. Solarbeam dominates in the sun, and takes down alot, milotic, swampert, and still destroys with neutral damage. Weather Ball becomes a base 100 fire attack in the sun, and is great for takin down those who wudve walled Victreebel. Energy ball is for when the sun isnt yet up and a grass attack is the only thing to stop an opponent. Hidden Power is for flyers and scares the crap out of them to, they usually assume its ice and switch to a fire, allowing me to take them out with 1-2 HPs. This thing is crazy fast in the sun, and outspeeds almost everthing save a the rare ninjask and accelgor, these get destroyed by his weatherball regardless. Wiseglasses are here for the same reason that the Muscle band is on Arcanine.
You'll need some way of getting weather out there incase ninetails fails. and energy ball is useless. alongside solarbeam. however, sleep powder can be used if you are confident in ninetails. other than that, good set. weather ball rapes steel types not name heatran that would normally wall this set.

Thanks Everyone,
~TJ

Changes in BOLD

Over all good set with minor adjustments.

TrainerJoe

The Defiance Member
Thanks for the advise, ill most likely put FB pn gemgar and thunderfang/wildcharge on arcanine. I will also put sunny day on victreebel