• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Very Confused Hacking and Cloning whats the difference

Gianni

Please i am looking on the trading and battling forum alot, could somebody please explain too me what the difference between hacking and cloning.
Thank you, I would greatly appreciate it.

BioTrainer

Hacking is when you use some sort of device(GS/AR) to hack into the game's internal coding and change it in order to make the game do what you want. Cloning is using an in-game glitch (Emerald) to copy a pokemon's data, therefore creating an exact copy of that specific Pokemon. Hacking is bad. Cloning is not, but there are people that think cloning is hacking. When you clone you aren't changing the odds to get shiny pokemon and you aren't changing the stats/IVs/level of a pokemon. That's the difference.

BT ;383;

Trax

^And yet cloning is not part of the original meant gameplay, therefore, it is not legit. But the debate on cloning is a very gray area.

BioTrainer

^And yet cloning is not part of the original meant gameplay, therefore, it is not legit. But the debate on cloning is a very gray area.

I'm aware it's not legit, but neither is using a GS/AR to hack. That is even less legit.

BT ;383;

Trax

There is no more sinner and less sinner, it is still a sin. This is also applied to cloning and hacking.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
Okay I'm a cheater so i can clearly explain the difference

Ok Cheaters and hackers use devices like BioTrainer mentioned, to catch Pokemon they may never get like the event Pokemon for example, sometimes try to get masterballs early, rare candies, and alot of money. And sometimes they make their Pokemon's stats at 999 to help them beat the tough computers. But hackers are worse than cheaters becuase they tend to keep their Pokemon at max stats and battle people like you and me and they don't care about you that don't do this

Cheaters only use max stats within the game and they can get the stats back to normal to battle you all. And That is what I'm planning on doing, either that or not doing wi-fi at all

For cloning: its a cheat that tries to copy the same Pokemon in your party or PC sometimes its risky becuase if you mess up your could loose something. The only time I cloned was when I used to have Gmaeshark for Pokemon Gold just to get more items. Now I only cheat, not clone

Shuko

Pippi! Pi!
Don't forget item cloning - which is a reality in Diamond and Pearl once you get your hands on a ditto, lol. People can clone their TMs and stuff, and trade the cloned items attached to Pokemon. Again, this is taking advantage of a glitch in the game. The morality of it aside, it's more than likely not something the programmers intended to keep in the game. I wonder if they took it out for the American versions? Anyone know? I know they took out the E4 glitch.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

There is no more sinner and less sinner, it is still a sin. This is also applied to cloning and hacking.

Thou Shalt Not Hack and Thou Shalt Not Clone eh?
and how is manipulating a video game sinning?

well, Hacking is 100% set in stone as bad, seeing as it is manipulating the game coding into creating things which you normally couldn't get, or manipulating odds and stuff.

Cloning, this is an ethical issue in Real Life, and in the pokemon games. Some people say it is the same as hacking, others think it's alright because it's a glitch. All it does is as it's name says, clones the pokemon.

Honestly, I think Hacking is bad, UNLESS it's for an event item you can't normally get, but I think cloning, even though I don't do it myself (I once did it out of curiosity on a swellow, it worked) I think it's alright, but could be evil if used in the wrong hands.

Stiker

CLoner 4 Ever
I say if you can do it in the game with no help from an outside device AR/GS then its fine thats Nintendo's stupid problem.
But if you use an AR/GS then it is cheating....I have to buy my AR soon.....So i can get those rare guys.
I don't really care about being called a hacker Because I'm only gonna cheat when i need Pokémon from events.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
But to me hacking is the worse group of cheaters, fair cheaters tends not to be like hackers becasuse you know hackers give their pokemon 4 illegal moves

Atomic Boo

Oddium Wanderus ftw
Something quite important to consider with hacking/cloning is not to let anyone tell you how to enjoy your own game. Do what you wish and don't let people tell its WRONG to clone or hack.

The only time it could be considered unethical is if you were infringing on other peoples gameplay. Which is why I will always let someone know if I am trading them a cloned pokemon.

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

yeah, some people only cheat for the right reasons, like in LG I used teleporter codes, other than that I haven't really touched my Xploder (except when experimenting on my leftover sapphire) while Hackers just well, ruin the game

Stiker

CLoner 4 Ever
Its true that the kind of PEOPLE who hack are more likely to be bad people in general, And wont lose any sleep over having poke stats 999 and owning everyone.
Cheaters have some ethics at least.

Pamizard

Queen of Charizards!
yes of course, i'm not going to use 999 stats against you just against the computer after beating the game, which i did for Emerald becase the Battle Fronteir became way too hard for me

And the only stupid thing I did was give my Pokes metronome, like my Lugia, Swampert, you name it, but I'm not going to use them against you all