• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Very Insightful Spoon 2DI Interview with Director Owada and Writer Deko Akao

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
The Recent Edition of the Spoon 2DI Magazine contained a long interview with Series Director Jun Owada and Writer Deko Akao.

Here are some tidbits of what they both said.

Worldbuilding:

Executive Director Tomiyasu ordered the Staff to make the Series feel more like Pokemon in Humans World rather than in the flip way around.
The Entire Thing with Chewtle is nothing but a gag in the Staff Department. Tomiyasu just told Akao to write whatever she wants with one of her Favorite Pokemon in Episode 41.
Owada was told to direct PM when he was in the Middle of Koko Production. Meaning his takeover from Episode 55 was not planned from the beginning.

Progression of Characters according to Owada

Koharu:
Search for the future with Eevee
Future plots involving these two
Koharu and Eevee will meet more trainers and Pokémon with different goals
Koharu and Eevee will take the different routes of evolution more seriously

Goh:
Becoming more optimistic like Ash
Overcoming more struggles and development
Becoming independent of Ash as well as his equal and a more mature version of Goh

Ash:
Ash will become more unbeatable as the story goes on
Ash will begin taking more challenges
The essence of Ash is aim for greater heights and challenge more of the unknown

EDIT: Do note that I am not a Japanese Speaker so I rechecked all of these which were translated by somebody with another Translator on Twitter who gave me the Green Light before posting.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The Recent Edition of the Spoon 2DI Magazine contained a long interview with Series Director Jun Owada and Writer Deko Akao.

Worldbuilding:

Executive Director Tomiyasu ordered the Staff to make the Series feel more like Pokemon in Humans World rather than in the flip way around.
The Entire Thing with Chewtle is nothing but a gag in the Staff Department. Tomiyasu just told Akao to write whatever she wants with one of her Favorite Pokemon.
Owada was told to direct PM when he was in the Middle of Koko Production. Meaning his takeover from Episode 55 was not planned from the beginning.

Koharu:

Goh:
Becoming independent of Ash as well as his equal and a more mature version of Goh

Ash:
Its funny when they mention Koharu ite always “Koharu and Eevee”
Its like she doesnt stand on her own without it

karanova-1

Mewtwo3214

Worldbuilding:

The Entire Thing with Chewtle is nothing but a gag in the Staff Department. Tomiyasu just told Akao to write whatever she wants with one of her Favorite Pokemon.

Koharu:

Goh:

Ash:
Oh hmmm this is interesting we hope that from now onwards we will get some character progression and anime will become better in the future

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
•Worldbuilding being Pokémon in a human world than the other way around can explain less introspective and characterization of the Pokémon to an extent. They’re in their own world while we get more the human side of things which is why Gou and Koharu’s vulnerabilities as humans without needing to be to tied directly to Pokémon are shown at the forefront like with Koharu being a normal schoolgirl or Gou being a friendless and awkward emotional kid.

•Kamukamu just a gag. Meh. People wanted TRio to have something? Guess nothing will come of the one Kyodaimax line.

•Meh at the becoming more like Satoshi line. They already struggle to not dip too far into making the boys clones at times. Being indifferent and more struggles are good. Give me more of pessimistic and flawed Gou and his own persona without conforming to the Shounen boy mold.

•Satoshi’s lines don’t see anything we don’t know. Ambiguous and generic as are Koharu’s. Poor Wanpachi tho. It’s the Eevee show.

Overall kind of fluff and ambiguous stuff; nothing of substance.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Very Important to note that Tomiyasu hands-on directed an Educational Anime produced by NHK called Pikaia! for Kids in 2015 which was full of Biology. He might have used some of those very aspects to portray the "Science" of the Pokemon themselves in this Series.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Letting a new writer (to the franchise) write whatever they want, hmmm? No wonder she's had the dubious honor of writing the most OOC Ash.
They were referring to the Gag Episode she wrote with Chewtle (Episode 41). I guess there is a lot of creative freedom in this series.

Also Akao is a Women and a Singer, you might wanna look her up :p

Blue Saturday

Thats why they are not making pwc episodes. If they are planning to make him unbeatable then they would'nt have anything left by end of show given they start ultra class now.
He was “unbeatable” as SM progressed as well. One of his only major losses was against Dia’s Mythical Zeroara who spent its time having life-risking battles against Akajiking - an Ultra Beast of all things. And his Mukuroh to Hau and then taking down both its own evolved forms. Lugarugan losing and then coming back to beat its evolved form for later. I really feel like this is fluff. For the most part Satoshi just doesn’t lose without a narrative reason these days.

LazySpy

Kimty
•Worldbuilding being Pokémon in a human world than the other way around can explain less introspective and characterization of the Pokémon to an extent. They’re in their own world while we get more the human side of things which is why Gou and Koharu’s vulnerabilities as humans without needing to be to tied directly to Pokémon are shown at the forefront like with Koharu being a normal schoolgirl or Gou being a friendless and awkward emotional kid.
..................... "Worldbuilding being Pokemon in human world not the other way around explains *less* focus on Pokemon"

I'd like you to think of just one thing wrong with that sentence. Just one.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
For the most part Satoshi just doesn’t lose without a narrative reason these days.
Now this is the part of why I just don't understand why they just don't make him lose against Stronger Opponents rather than giving him forced loses at the hands of weaker ones (PM#36). PM would have been the perfect series for that but they blew it.

Blue Saturday

..................... "Worldbuilding being Pokemon in human world not the other way around explains *less* focus on Pokemon"

I'd like you to think of just one thing wrong with that sentence. Just one.
Humans in the Pokémon world served the Pokémon worlds own lore and prioritized the Pokémon’s introspective better hence more of a focus on their selves individually (Amamaiko being a cook like her trainer who was caught by her trainer’s dying mother with a fleshed out personality and regular moments/times with her trainer.) Where as now Pokémon are more so seen in the same vein from an outsider in a human world (“hunted,” “study material,” living their own lives in Sakuragi Park (Messon training/Gengar levitating around and pranking, etc.)

Now this is the part of why I just don't understand why they just don't make him lose against Stronger Opponents rather than giving him forced loses at the hands of weaker ones (PM#36). PM would have been the perfect series for that but they blew it.
The goal is to portray him as strong to fight the World Monarch so naturally if he’s going to lose they’ll need good reasons not just from a strength standpoint but a character flaw standpoint to give the Pokémon it’s own little story. Kamonegi needed a lesson in chivalry and that’s why he lost to Rinto.

Morax

King of heroes

•Kamukamu just a gag. Meh. People wanted TRio to have something? Guess nothing will come of the one Kyodaimax line.

•Meh at the becoming more like Satoshi line. They already struggle to not dip too far into making the boys clones at times. Being indifferent and more struggles are good. Give me more of pessimistic and flawed Gou and his own persona without conforming to the Shounen boy mold.

•Satoshi’s lines don’t see anything we don’t know. Ambiguous and generic as are Koharu’s. Poor Wanpachi tho. It’s the Eevee show.

Overall kind of fluff and ambiguous stuff; nothing of substance.
You shouldn't expect shounen to not be shounen bro. Shounen will always be shounen, no matter how shounen it gets. :)

RafaSceptile

You shouldn't expect shounen to not be shounen bro. Shounen will always be shounen, no matter how shounen it gets. :)
Except Pokémon is not a shounen, is a kodomo. If you want shounen, go to watch My Hero Academia, Jujutsu Kaisen, Death Note, etc.

Morax

King of heroes
I can be wrong, but Ash needs to be a shounen to be the main character of a supposed shounen anime. And that is only the very minimum
That's not how it works. Shounen is a demographic but the tropes they follow are universal. For example k-on falls under seinen but death note, a manga much more dark and serious, is categorised as shounen. Demographics != Genre. Pokemon is a kodomomuke (demographic ) disguised as a shounen ( genre ).

.....anyyyyways i don't want to derail another thread so PM me if you want to continue this conversation.

LazySpy

Kimty
Humans in the Pokémon world served the Pokémon worlds own lore and prioritized the Pokémon’s introspective better hence more of a focus on their selves individually (Amamaiko being a cook like her trainer who was caught by her trainer’s dying mother with a fleshed out personality and regular moments/times with her trainer.) Where as now Pokémon are more so seen in the same vein from an outsider in a human world (“hunted,” “study material,” living their own lives in Sakuragi Park (Messon training/Gengar levitating around and pranking, etc.)
Ohhhhhhh okay I gotcha, pardon my somewhat agressive response then.