• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Very Insightful Spoon 2DI Interview with Director Owada and Writer Deko Akao

Master Pikachu 11

I would of like if somebody from a magazine would ask them if we should expect anymore captures from Ash and even Chloe since we know Goh is going to keep catching Pokémon regardless. That is one thing that I am curious about since I felt Chloe should get Galarian Ponyta

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I have my issues with Yajima, but if nothing else, the man knows how to present a largely cohesive narrative with proper buildup. While his work on the movies is some of the best we’ve ever gotten, I can’t help but miss him on the anime staff. I’d welcome another Yajima-led series with open arms at this point.

I like what’s being said about Koharu’s focus and how the story will supposedly pick up, but with Journeys I’ll really have to see it for myself before I believe it. Every hyped moment thus far has been enjoyable and relatively well-done but fails to really move the series in a more defined direction.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
You are right that Yuyama was more hands off with the series since he is more invested in movies. But what Tomiyasu is doing isn’t that even Pokémon at this point. It’s a different series with Pokémon in its title. I wish I could like your post more than once.
I wouldn't say Yuyama was hands-off. He just saw his work as just making sure the director don't pull a crazy idea like "Ash quits battling to become a waiter" (just an random stupid example to display my point) and as long as he checked the necessary requirement boxes he could either do an ongoing narrative (Yajima) or a slice of life (Tomiyasu)

Also, I don't think Tomiyasu is making Pokémon more "un-pokémon", he is just trying to shake up the formula and try to renew the series for what he thinks is what will make it successful.

I know some of you don't like this being mentioned but I think it's worth pointing out. The Yokai Watch fad kind of showed Pokémon the usual format could not be what the audience truly wants out of the show. Even if that show decayed - and that has more to do with some external factors like Akihiro Hino's mishandling YW, the series not taking off in the west like Level-5 wanted, Bandai not thinking about retrocompability in the toys at first, etc - it kind of pointed what sort of format would appeal to nowadays audience.

Remember, Pokémon was concieved on the late 90's. Its format was built thinking on what they saw as their preferences of the target audience of that time. In many ways, it remained static, only refinining its formula but as generations shifted, the newer blood started being interested on something different.

Where is the director of xy
He is doing the movies. As for right now, only "Power of Us" and "Secrets of the Jungle"

I wouldn't say Yuyama was hands-off. He just saw his work as just making sure the director don't pull a crazy idea like "Ash quits battling to become a waiter" (just an random stupid example to display my point) and as long as he checked the necessary requirement boxes he could either do an ongoing narrative (Yajima) or a slice of life (Tomiyasu)

Also, I don't think Tomiyasu is making Pokémon more "un-pokémon", he is just trying to shake up the formula and try to renew the series for what he thinks is what will make it successful.

I know some of you don't like this being mentioned but I think it's worth pointing out. The Yokai Watch fad kind of showed Pokémon the usual format could not be what the audience truly wants out of the show. Even if that show decayed - and that has more to do with some external factors like Akihiro Hino's mishandling YW, the series not taking off in the west like Level-5 wanted, Bandai not thinking about retrocompability in the toys at first, etc - it kind of pointed what sort of format would appeal to nowadays audience.

Remember, Pokémon was concieved on the late 90's. Its format was built thinking on what they saw as their preferences of the target audience of that time. In many ways, it remained static, only refinining its formula but as generations shifted, the newer blood started being interested on something different.

He is doing the movies. As for right now, only "Power of Us" and "Secrets of the Jungle"
Not exclusively hands off. I’m saying he cared more about the movies since that’s where the cash is. There were times when he did step in during the anime, but he let the directors do their own thing for the most part. I also believe there’s a difference between shaking things up a little and completely changing how the concept of how Pokémon works. For example, his goal of making it the human world with Pokémon in it when it’s always been the other way around.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
For example, his goal of making it the human world with Pokémon in it when it’s always been the other way around.
Original Kanto was pretty much that esp since we actually saw irl animals too
I for one love to see the humanisation of the pokemon world in relatable features while still feeling like a vast place

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Original Kanto was pretty much that esp since we actually saw irl animals too
I for one love to see the humanisation of the pokemon world in relatable features while still feeling like a vast place
tbh I kinda liked it in some parts of early JN, but overall the whole world has just felt really same-y

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
If the end goal of Goh's character arc is independency from Ash, isn't that a hint that he might not stay for more than one region? I've read people speculating that Goh may stay on for multiple regions based on the flexibility of his goal and the nature of the show now.
m8, I'm pretty sure it was mega obvious that he wasn't going to stay for more than one series after his first mon was a Gen 8 mon.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The Recent Edition of the Spoon 2DI Magazine contained a long interview with Series Director Jun Owada and Writer Deko Akao.

Here are some tidbits of what they both said.

Worldbuilding:

Executive Director Tomiyasu ordered the Staff to make the Series feel more like Pokemon in Humans World rather than in the flip way around.
The Entire Thing with Chewtle is nothing but a gag in the Staff Department. Tomiyasu just told Akao to write whatever she wants with one of her Favorite Pokemon in Episode 41.
Owada was told to direct PM when he was in the Middle of Koko Production. Meaning his takeover from Episode 55 was not planned from the beginning.

Progression of Characters according to Owada

Koharu:
Search for the future with Eevee
Future plots involving these two
Koharu and Eevee will meet more trainers and Pokémon with different goals
Koharu and Eevee will take the different routes of evolution more seriously

Goh:
Becoming more optimistic like Ash
Overcoming more struggles and development
Becoming independent of Ash as well as his equal and a more mature version of Goh

Ash:
Ash will become more unbeatable as the story goes on
Ash will begin taking more challenges
The essence of Ash is aim for greater heights and challenge more of the unknown

EDIT: Do note that I am not a Japanese Speaker so I rechecked all of these which were translated by somebody with another Translator on Twitter who gave me the Green Light before posting.
Chloe:
1. Meh, sometimes it feels like her entire character revolves around Eevee. Ex- Chloe episodes having Eevee being the focus.
2. Huge meh on Eevee's part, more Chloe is nice but Eevee's consistently shoved down our throats since XY, there's no escape!
3. Just give her a goal
4. Just sounds like repetitive filler: Chloe and Eevee meet so and so with Umbreon/Flareon/Jolteon/etc. I do hope they at least use Gary/Gladion for Umbreon, May for Glaceon, and Serena for Sylveon rather than introduce bland COTDs

I love Chloe but I don't care for Eevee!

Goh:
2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. More? That implies he HAS struggled. He just throws a ball and fails, not much to it! It's not like Ash, May and Dawn where they work their butts off to improve and overcome opponents like Gary/Paul, Drew, and Zoey. Hell even Sophocles struggled more than he has!

Ash:
1. ....that is literally a fanfic genre and not a good one. Who wants an unbeatable protagonist? He won the Alola League, he didn't beat Lance or Cynthia, no reason he should be unstoppable. Ash not losing too much in SM works because there aren't exactly a mountain of experienced trainers there and the series along with the generation wasn't much battle focused. Him hardly losing is also why I actually hate XY, he never lost apart from the same individuals. Beat Tierno first try, curbstomped Sawyer multiple times until he somehow lost(for stupid reasons, that was utterly unacceptable!), only really lost against two gym leaders... the first and the last ones. It was the same deal with Serena, she only lost because of accidents and because Aria had a massive fanbase(aka rigged match lol). So it never felt like Serena lost because Shauna or Jessie simply did better(which they did), Serena lost because of an accident and never got to grow or improve. Just breezed through it!

Seriously just look at Smart Ash and stuff along that line, it's not good. His rivals are supposed to be the ones coming off as 'unbeatable', not him!
2. I sure hope so, more PWC episodes, the Galar League or something please. Goh has THREE goals why can't Ash do something else?
3. Better be some actual stakes, Ash loses? He just regains everything offscreen so what's the point? It'd be cool if he actually had to regain it and go off to beat a prominent character somewhere like Flannery, a Galar Gym Leader, Sinnoh BF, somebody! Not just skip to the next PWC and oh look, Ash regained his points somehow or is even further than he was before! :rolleyes:
And his Pokemon magically showing off new moves throughout this series.... ugh. That just ain't right, it's fine if a Pokemon evolves and magically has new moves as that isn't unheard of there's not much challenge if Ash's Pokemon just show up with a new Pokemon. At least with Draco Meteor we could suppose that Ash was able to do so as he had experience with Gible. But why does Gengar know freaking Dazzling Gleam?! Ash never owned a Fairy Type and they ditched the much cooler Psychic! Why not lose Ice Punch? Plenty of Pokemon can learn Ice attacks lmao

Master Pikachu 11

If the end goal of Goh's character arc is independency from Ash, isn't that a hint that he might not stay for more than one region? I've read people speculating that Goh may stay on for multiple regions based on the flexibility of his goal and the nature of the show now.
Yeah I believe that once it is settled with Mew, i see him going to try to work to become a professor and that will be his new goal going forward. They will part ways like Brock did by going to learn to be a Pokémon doctor. So Ash will still try to become a Pokémon Master while Goh will learn either under Sonia or Cerise.

D

Deleted member 384931

More unbeatable? For the love of Arceus. That isnt even funny at this point anymore. His goal is so ignored.

Koharu and Eevee? You know I like Koharu struggles to find a goal (like Serena), but why has it to be connected to one pokemon? Even as an Eevee-lover it is boring.

Gou and struggles? Ha, give me a break. More independent from Satoshi? Were they student/mentor?

CONCLUSION: JN IS A GLORIFIED FANFIC AT THIS POINT