• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Very Insightful Spoon 2DI Interview with Director Owada and Writer Deko Akao

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Now, for my non-abridged version:

Didn't Yokai Watch actually grow and mature as it went on though?
Yes but it then backpedal in their instance.

Original series got a "closure" (mostly felt like another episode) for Shadow Side, following on the plot of the 4th movie. They sold Shadow Side as darker and stuff but honestly, as it started being a series, it wasn't that far of the original. The only major differences are the focus on humor being toned down and there being a sort of plot going on.

Yet, it just end up being very episodic with a "yokai of the week" and the plot being used every once in a blue moon. It end up having a rushed ending, most likely because it wasn't performing as Bandai/OLM wanted.

Then they returned to the original setting with "exclamation mark" series (mostly the same title except for the "!") and that lasted for 30 episodes or something. That show was ended with a sort of hook for their project which would be kickstarted by the 6th movie, that'd continue into a new series.

"Yokai Jam" was meant to be more of an experiment thing where they'd try crazier, more "out there" ideas for the brand. The idea was presented with Yokai Gakuen Y, a first entry that's the only one so far lol. There the kids - who looked like human versions of some of the original yokai turns out they are reincarnations with Jibanyan's being born as the grandson of his former owner from back when he was a cat - tranforming into tokusatsu-esque heroes, with the watches being used not just for summoning but for morphing (#proudpowerrangersnerd) as well. That one ended earlier this year and replaced by yet another revival of the original entry, which is the one we have right now.

I'll always love Gakuen for giving me Goromi and Bluepon who are the only yokai I really like (to the point I poured money to get their medals lol).

=================

Also, Deko Akao is not a bad writer. She's done good work on Journeys IMHO It's not a terrible episode like Drizzile's evolution that will make me change my mind on her

Plus, I like her work on Shadowverse. She build an interesting work and managed to juggle a cast of 7 main character reasonably well (not perfect, but better than SM IMHO)

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Didn't Yokai Watch actually grow and mature as it went on though?

Meanwhile SM/PM19 are flat plateaus with nary a twitch in sight

I think now they do a Reboot.

I hate Yokai Watch I stay the hell away from that.

Not only that, but I want Inazuma Eleven to return.

By the way, do you wanna know who wrote the worst episode of Inazuma Orion? The match against Italy that made no sense?

Indeed, Deko Akao...

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I think now they do a Reboot.

I hate Yokai Watch I stay the hell away from that.

Not only that, but I want Inazuma Eleven to return.

By the way, do you wanna know who wrote the worst episode of Inazuma Orion? The match against Italy that made no sense?

Indeed, Deko Akao...
Just how many Inazuma series are there? I've only seen like one episode of I think the first one, and now I hear they've gone to play football in space?

D

Deleted member 384931

Just how many Inazuma series are there? I've only seen like one episode of I think the first one, and now I hear they've gone to play football in space?
Honestly, they stopped airing it in my country, so I am out of loop as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

santiagus

First season was about battling against institutes and the finals were about battling drugged up kids who thought they were gods
Second was about aliens invading earth with football
Third was the World Cup which included Angel, Demons and warlords.
Fourth was Ten years latter and was about battling soccer communists
Fifth was my favorite one TIME TRAVELLING SHENANIGANS against kids with Superpowers
Sixth was about Football in space
Seven was an AU
Eight was about Russian world cup and the villain was a woman that I suspect was based on Vladimir Putin
Nine if it ever got released is an AU where all universes and timelines are together. Scheduled for 2023

D

Deleted member 384931

First season was about battling against institutes and the finals were about battling drugged up kids who thought they were gods
Fifth was my favorite one TIME TRAVELLING SHENANIGANS against kids with Superpowers
Seven was an AU
Eight was about Russian world cup and the villain was a woman that I suspect was based on Vladimir Putin
Nine if it ever got released is an AU where all universes and timelines are together. Scheduled for 2023
??? So many? Dear god. The last one I saw were the Aliens

Morax

King of heroes
Seven was an AU
inazuma 11?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Wasn't on Inazuma where girls started being able to play soccer with the guys? I remember we even had a character voiced by Aoi Yuuki (Iris)

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Wasn't on Inazuma where girls started being able to play soccer with the guys? I remember we even had a character voiced by Aoi Yuuki (Iris)
It was in Inazuma GO. The character in question is Kinako, she was popular enough to be in the main soccer team for a crossover movie with... mini-gundam like robots. Inazuma Eleven really embraces the surreal.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It was in Inazuma GO. The character in question is Kinako, she was popular enough to be in the main soccer team for a crossover movie with... mini-gundam like robots. Inazuma Eleven really embraces the surreal.
I miss the days when the most surreal were the stuff the 90's Captain Tsubasa anime pulled...

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I have a feeling Deko Akao doesn't care that much for Ash.

In every one of her episodes, Ash may as well be nonexistent.
Wasn’t there an interview some time ago where a staff, that i can’t remeber who exactly, said something along the lines of goh is way easier and enjoyable to write for because he’s a blank slate compared to ash who has past history?

Maybe that’s just the general feeling towards ash?

D

Deleted member 384931

Wasn’t there an interview some time ago where a staff, that i can’t remeber who exactly, said something along the lines of goh is way easier and enjoyable to write for because he’s a blank slate compared to ash who has past history?

I cant remember that, but I can somehow understand their point of view

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Replace Ash then, if they feel that he's a burden on them to write and if they don't want to be bothered with continuity to past series and all of that.

It would save them all that grief to replace him if they want a blank slate.

D

Deleted member 384931

Replace Ash then, if they feel that he's a burden on them to write and if they don't want to be bothered with continuity to past series and all of that.

It would save them all that grief to replace him if they want a blank slate.
I know. If he is so hard to write (which I dont believe) than just stop it. But cause he is too popular they dont want to.

santiagus

I miss the days when the most surreal were the stuff the 90's Captain Tsubasa anime pulled...

Let me tell you why it was so popular in Europe, specially in Spain

People love football here, number 1 sport in the continent. In Spain Captain Tsubasa was really popular in the early 90's

People loved Dragon Ball here, the most popular show in the 90's, it caused a generational change in Spain, that's why during the90's and early 2000 we had a lot of anime in Spain. Pokemon,Digimon, Elfen Lied, Cowboy Beebop,Evangelion, One Piece, Arc the Lad, you name it.

Imagine a series that combines both: Football + Superpowers = Inazuma Eleven, really popular even with some strange decisions by Level-5 in Europe like having Inazuma3 for 3ds instead of DS or Galaxy never being translated. Inazuma GO Chrono Stones was the most sold Nintendo Game during April - June 2015 and was top 10 best-selling video games of 2015 in a list with Witcher 3, GTA, FIFA with numbers that were better than Pokémon ORAS.

The problem? Level5 only cares about Japan, and Japan loves Yokai Watch, in the rest of the world it flopped. Absolute disaster.

And they reboot it and reboot it again. And we are still waiting for a video game that have been announced for 2017 and will be released apparently in 2023.

I have gone a little offtopic here but I need to vent, Inazuma is an amazing franchise and it's a shame what are they doing with that.