• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Very Insightful Spoon 2DI Interview with Director Owada and Writer Deko Akao

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I don’t think making Ash ‘unbeatable’ is a bad thing if done right. I don’t want him winning every battle, especially in the ways that Journeys has done (Ash vs. Iris being a prime example), and especially not against established opponents, but eventually Ash is going to face Leon. He needs to have a track record that matches the feat, with the losses thinning out over time. Characters like Rinto make sense for the narrative of a particular Pokémon, but not for Ash himself.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Not exclusively hands off. I’m saying he cared more about the movies since that’s where the cash is. There were times when he did step in during the anime, but he let the directors do their own thing for the most part. I also believe there’s a difference between shaking things up a little and completely changing how the concept of how Pokémon works. For example, his goal of making it the human world with Pokémon in it when it’s always been the other way around.
I'd dare to say most of Yuyama's interventions seems to be more like asking the staff to use stuff that's been decided by the bigger heads (executives of OLM, TV Tokyo and other controlling parties)

One example is BW. Since GF wanted to "reproduce" the spirit of the original games, they had to enforce the same notion in the anime while still keeping Ash around. Same goes for Team Plasma. They had to prepare to use the version as showed in BW2.

People like to say "BW is a mess" but most of the issues stems from the fact of GF subverting old patterns and not really having communication with the anime staff. I can see that as part of the reason why Tomiyasu decided to reshape the format because it's flexible enough so whatever they plan won't be affected by the new games much. Need BDSP cross promotion? Just bring Dawn back for a couple of episodes than move on the slice of life they love so much lol

As for the statement, I think the series, as originally thought of by Takeshi Shudo, was meant to a human world with Pokémon on it, so it's less about changing things around and more trying to go back to their roots so that's why we have stuff such as Chloe having a (relatively) normal school to attend, we've seen her normal family (including a very normal backstory of how her parents met) and even the family dog (which is a pokémon here). Goh got that on a lesser scale since he is a "current year kid" and we've seen their parents with relatively normal jobs. They have yet to do that with Ash but the 25th anniversary is right around the corner and the episode airs the same time the show's supposed to air a new episode so there might be something (just, please, not brock and misty again)

If the end goal of Goh's character arc is independency from Ash, isn't that a hint that he might not stay for more than one region? I've read people speculating that Goh may stay on for multiple regions based on the flexibility of his goal and the nature of the show now.
I think the goal and the current series is built in a way that he can go either way: if it's popular/successful enough, we continue into gen 9, if not, there's a way out stabilished so they can use it without it looking like a last minute change.

wellwellwells

If the end goal of Goh's character arc is independency from Ash, isn't that a hint that he might not stay for more than one region? I've read people speculating that Goh may stay on for multiple regions based on the flexibility of his goal and the nature of the show now.
My guess is that at the end of this series something will happen (Celebi?) that will send Ash and Pikachu back in time and he will have to go through whatever you need to go through in LoA, probably with Oshawott (Cyndaquil is already a Quilava and the everstone thing hinders Rowlett chances). He will have a new LoA based companion (maybe a Dawn ancestor), and it will be business as usual.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
My guess is that at the end of this series something will happen (Celebi?) that will send Ash and Pikachu back in time and he will have to go through whatever you need to go through in LoA, probably with Oshawott (Cyndaquil is already a Quilava and the everstone thing hinders Rowlett chances). He will have a new LoA based companion (maybe a Dawn ancestor), and it will be business as usual.
I mean, LA is still a gen 8 game, so if the anime adapts it it'll still be part of JN. I guess they'll have a short arc around it ala DD?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

they used that plot last gen when Ash went back in time and met Kakui as a child, inspiring him to create a pokemon league in alola.

if they do some kind of Arceus Legends special then hopefully it's kept to it's own thing seperate from the main story.

sure seeing Ash interact with what is likely to be Dawn's ninja ancestor would be cool and interesting, but the time travel stuff is kind of overdone in this show.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
Executive Director Tomiyasu ordered the Staff to make the Series feel more like Pokemon in Humans World rather than in the flip way around.
Tbh, this approach is pretty dumb when you remember that it was a Pokemon who birthed the current dimension/Universe that most of the anime takes place in.

If anything, I feel like humans are aliens who probably 'leaked in' through an Ultra Space portal or something similar to the Conjunction of Spheres from The Witcher.

Last edited:
Tbh, this approach is pretty dumb when you remember that it was a Pokemon who birthed the current dimension/Universe that most of the anime takes place in.

If anything, I feel like humans are aliens who probably 'leaked in' through an Ultra Space portal or something similar to the Conjunction of Spheres from The Witcher.
It goes hand in hand when I said Tomiyasu has a tendency to misinterpret things in Pokemon.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!

I remember as a kid thinking it was very odd that humans and Pokemon coexist on the same planet given they have vastly different biologies, behaviours, reproduction, etc.

I used to think maybe humans were aliens that colonized the Pokemon planet in ancient times and then regressed technologically.

I mean, humans in Pokemon become pregnant, can't use moves, don't have types nor do they have abilities which isn't really what'd you'd expect if they had evolved Darwinian style from Pokemon ancestors. It is like they are beings from another dimension or something.

Even aliens from a half-frozen sea on an icy moon inside a star system thousands of lightyears away are probably more related to us (through some distant panspermia or something) than humans and Pokemon could possibly be.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It goes hand in hand when I said Tomiyasu has a tendency to misinterpret things in Pokemon.
Honestly, the impression I'm getting is that the management on the show nowdays has been flat out... Terrible. This Tomiyasu regime has been more reliant on cheap marketing tricks - read it as giving Ash powerhouses/hype shillmons, a legendary being caught by a main character, nostalgia - than on the series' own strenghts.

Could it be he is a victim of executive mandates? Sure, that's the most likely option...

YET

He's the head of this "body", the "captain" of this ship and I highly doubt executives bother with stuff like "have Goh train with his Drizzile" rather than the more vague things like "hurry, give Goh an Intelleon 'cause those sell better".

He can control what happens within his episodes. He can make marketing integration work to his favor. He has the RESPONSABILITY of properly integrating the mandatory merch with the story they want to tell. That's what Kiyotaka Taguchi did on Ultraman Z which netted him a Seiun Award.

Honestly, I have no idea why OLM gave him such a high position solely because SM. I normally don't speculate on those things, but feels more like a case of just happening to have the "right" connections.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
The worst thing is that even when the next series starts with a new director, Tomiyasu will still be in charge as the executive director.

Thinking back to XY, Yajima seemed to have enough control over his series even though he was only the series director. Why isn't that happening now?

Anyways, I'm hoping for Hiroaki Takagi as the next director since he's the only one on Journeys that seems to consistently understand Pokemon and how to direct good episodes. Unfortunately, that's unlikely since he's probably busy enough with other shows (and too good for the direction that this anime has been heading).

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
The worst thing is that even when the next series starts with a new director, Tomiyasu will still be in charge as the executive director.

Thinking back to XY, Yajima seemed to have enough control over his series even though he was only the series director. Why isn't that happening now?

Anyways, I'm hoping for Hiroaki Takagi as the next director since he's the only one on Journeys that seems to consistently understand Pokemon and how to direct good episodes. Unfortunately, that's unlikely since he's probably busy enough with other shows (and too good for the direction that this anime has been heading).
I agree, this man is not meant to direct Pokemon. Shame on him.

Honestly, the impression I'm getting is that the management on the show nowdays has been flat out... Terrible. This Tomiyasu regime has been more reliant on cheap marketing tricks - read it as giving Ash powerhouses/hype shillmons, a legendary being caught by a main character, nostalgia - than on the series' own strenghts.

Could it be he is a victim of executive mandates? Sure, that's the most likely option...

YET

He's the head of this "body", the "captain" of this ship and I highly doubt executives bother with stuff like "have Goh train with his Drizzile" rather than the more vague things like "hurry, give Goh an Intelleon 'cause those sell better".

He can control what happens within his episodes. He can make marketing integration work to his favor. He has the RESPONSABILITY of properly integrating the mandatory merch with the story they want to tell. That's what Kiyotaka Taguchi did on Ultraman Z which netted him a Seiun Award.

Honestly, I have no idea why OLM gave him such a high position solely because SM. I normally don't speculate on those things, but feels more like a case of just happening to have the "right" connections.
Well SM is trash so

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Because Yuyama knew what he was doing?

As I've said on another ocasions, I've always felt Yuyama was the kind of chief director who let the series director do his thing and only blocks the more insane ideas (like, a human and a pokémon wanting to marry lol) or just tell them what the executive demands are (make BW feel like a fresh start/early Kanto).

Yajima (seemingly) having control over XY is a result of Yuyama trusting the choice that was made back then and letting him shape the series the way he saw fit.

There was an old interview with Tomiyasu where he did ask Yuyama about Ash's dream and for how his answer was presented, it seemed like he was saying "see, you don't need to overthink it because it was made very simple so you can adjust it to fit what you are going for).

What looks like to be the issue with Tomiyasu is that his role is stepping into "micro managing" area. If he tone it down for next series and trust his director MORE than maybe we'll be having a different conversation.