• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Veteran Player's Feelings on Sword and Shield

SwordDude

There is actually speculation that gamefreak tried to make crappy games to convince nintendo that the switch isnt the console for them

Gamefreak wanted to be a mobile developer since handheld consoles are dead now.

They tried it with pokemon lets go with just 150 pokemon and angering the fanbase of it's simple mechanics yet they failed to convince nintendo since it sold well.
Now even with the controversy surrounding the dexit the rushed grapics and content the game has great sales. so they are stuck on switch for now since nintendo wants to keep them pokemon console games.

Those berry bushes of gen III and IV quite a shame indeed that it's a single generic tree now they where fun in gen III and IV. it was lame that gen V kept them on pc and that heartgold soulsilver only had 4 spots with you instead of the entire overworld.

also comparing this game to botw. if only it was that good lol

LOL. Squidward and Dilbert. Enough said.

The post-game needs some love. I really hope they try DLC/ content patching for these games. I hate it when companies will just release another $60 follow-up game that you could have just added as content to the previous game that you purchased a "DLC Season Pass" for (looking at you BoTW).

I am btw of the minority that actually liked emerald platinum as stand alone releases.

dlc especially on handheld devices is a pain. you can only acces said dlc on that handheld console if you use the cart on a different device you wont have acces to said dlc. you can do a system transfer but it's a hassle if you have multiple consoles and want to keep playing when one device is out of batteries.

also can we like not forget that these games where only 40$. most dlc almost costs 40$ if not more these days so **** dlc. pokemon dlc is the past is excellent value. dlc is pricy and you get way less than what those upgrades emerald and platinum gave.

also in the long run. say your buying breath of the wild after 10 years for say 10$ or less. if you want to get acces to said dlc you still have to pay 30$ for it. not to mention that for most games with dlc all in examples wich include all dlc on disc exist looking at you ps3 making the first copies absolutely worthless. and what if said service is down it means you need to pirate dlc content.

also in the case of pokemon it would mean multiple save files since not only is there post game content but all gyms villains etc are swapped up. it's not only post game content.

I'm glad that physical dlc copies exist of emerald platinum and imo those versions are no different from black & white 2 wich some consider different because it is 2 years past of the previous games. it's basicly the same stuff as with emerald and platinum just with the story progressing 2 years after

yet people seem to forget that in platinum & emerald quite some stuff gets switched up aswell some new faces and new legendaries in the main story line.

steven stone in emerald instead of being just a champion actually fights along side you against magma and aqua it was also interesting to fight both team magma and aqua at ones instead of seperately in the overworld. also both weathers influencing the overwrld the whole thing with rayquaza.

platinum same thing. the whole area tons more snow, different gyms layout, team galactic fights and spots looking different the whole added story of giratina. some people could still for whatever reason prefer the main game in say ruby sapphire or diamond & pearl it is different after all.

i don't think dlc is a great idea better start from scratch this game was rushed to the ground some additions will not save this game.

they even left mouse cursors around in the credits and don't even patch it i mean like damm.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
There is actually speculation that gamefreak tried to make crappy games to convince nintendo that the switch isnt the console for them

Gamefreak wanted to be a mobile developer since handheld consoles are dead now.

They tried it with pokemon lets go with just 150 pokemon and angering the fanbase of it's simple mechanics yet they failed to convince nintendo since it sold well.
Now even with the controversy surrounding the dexit the rushed grapics and content the game has great sales. so they are stuck on switch for now since nintendo wants to keep them pokemon console games.
Given the wide range of quality of life changes and other improvements that they didn't have to make in these games I highly doubt that. I'd say lack of time, lack of experience with HD console games, alternate perceptions on what their target audience wants, etc. are more likely factors to any "deficiencies" in Sword and Shield than some kind of conspiracy to make bad games.

SwordDude

Given the wide range of quality of life changes and other improvements that they didn't have to make in these games I highly doubt that. I'd say lack of time, lack of experience with HD console games, alternate perceptions on what their target audience wants, etc. are more likely factors to any "deficiencies" in Sword and Shield than some kind of conspiracy to make bad games.

there are multiple articles in wich the ceo of pokemon did not believe in the switch and even till this day. the big boss of the pokemon company wants gamefreak to be a mobile game developer while nintendo wants pokemon games on their consoles. and to be fair profit might actually be better on mobile if they do this. them ceo of pokemon wants gamefreak to bring the series to mobile to get maximum profit but nintendo keeps them from doing that for now.

it also seems that gamefreak wanted to get pokemon sword & shield either on 3ds or on mobile. the speculations are that they wanted the series to fail on console to convince nintendo to be devs for mobile bringing the mainline pokemon games to mobile. there is some truth to this speculation. but sales where however to great so they are stuck on console for now.

also quality of life changes are very small things to implement. many people give those small things far to much credit. that's fairly easy to add in a game minimal effort to make people happy.

a storage box at all times fast travel/ candies that change natures do you really think such things are a ton of work to add in a game hell no. they could have done that in a few days those things are really small.

speaking of small quality of life changes not even a button to turn off the exp share for all. let's be honest how much work would that be 10 20 minutes people giving those minor things to much credit. it's appreciated but at the end of the day it is minor work and a very small part of a game that could have been added easily in a prior instalment but was forgotten or no demand for it.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/06/pokemon-ceo-nintendo-switch/

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
there are multiple articles in wich the ceo of pokemon did not believe in the switch and even till this day. the big boss of the pokemon company wants gamefreak to be a mobile game developer while nintendo wants pokemon games on their consoles. and to be fair profit might actually be better on mobile if they do this. them ceo of pokemon wants gamefreak to bring the series to mobile to get maximum profit but nintendo keeps them from doing that for now.

it also seems that gamefreak wanted to get pokemon sword & shield either on 3ds or on mobile. the speculations are that they wanted the series to fail on console to convince nintendo to be devs for mobile bringing the mainline pokemon games to mobile. there is some truth to this speculation. but sales where however to great so they are stuck on console for now.

also quality of life changes are very small things to implement. many people give those small things far to much credit. that's fairly easy to add in a game minimal effort to make people happy.

a storage box at all times fast travel/ candies that change natures do you really think such things are a ton of work to add in a game hell no. they could have done that in a few days those things are really small.

speaking of small quality of life changes not even a button to turn off the exp share for all. let's be honest how much work would that be 10 20 minutes people giving those minor things to much credit. it's appreciated but at the end of the day it is minor work and a very small part of a game that could have been added easily in a prior instalment but was forgotten or no demand for it.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/06/pokemon-ceo-nintendo-switch/
It's not a question of how difficult it is to make such changes, it's that if they really wanted to make the games bad then why would they make such small quality of life changes to "make people happy" at all?

Besides, that interview you linked is from years ago and has the CEO stating he was wrong. That he still cautioned to not overestimate the Switch doesn't mean he is determined to engage in some kind of conspiracy to make console pokemon games fail. Said linked article also cautioned against taking the translation too harshly.

Also, they explained in an interview their reason for not allowing experience share to be turned off. Whether you agree with that reasoning or not, they did apparently have a reason (namely that they decided the only reason you wouldn't want the whole team to get experience would be if you wanted to focus on just one pokemon, and that in such an event it was easier than ever in these games to just box the others).

And I'm honestly impressed by how they did indeed scale levels pretty well (i.e. playing through Sword now, and only battling trainers and catching a few pokemon I end up underleveled despite the experience share).

Last edited:

mtqc

MY BEANS!
The plot of the main game was ridiculously bad. Following after Sun and Moon's amazing story, it leaves a lot to be desired. They nail the characters, especially the Gym leaders, but I really can't care much about anything story-related with how disjointed and rushed it felt.

Tbh though, I haven't had this much fun in the post-game of a Pokemon game in a really long time. Max raids keep me really busy, and I'm only just getting started on my breeding projects. Everything feels really accessible now, and the new Pokemon are great. I wouldn't call this the best generation games or anything, but they're certainly fun for someone who's played since age ten. I'm enjoying myself with them, already racked up about 70 hours and it'd be way more if not for my full time job!

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I forgot to mention that I also find the bit where Rose was so impatient, he couldn't even let a day pass and have the Championship battle was funny... and stupid.

For all intents and purposes, I agreed with most of your assertions about the game, especially that the Wild Area didn't really make the game feel bigger and almost had the opposite of the intentional effect. As for this point, realize that I am just trying to make sense of it myself. I think the intent of the scene was that Rose wanted to make a statement that gathering enough energy to power Galar was more important than this one battle that people were hyping up. That's what I take away from it at least.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Plus having his plan happen on that day would ensure the whole world would be watching, though assuming Rose' intention was to lose control and have Leon catch Eternatus (his dialog after being beaten seems to imply this, as he seems to battle the protagonist just to delay them long enough for Leon to battle Eternatus), one wonders how he intended to have the public support his plan to use Eternatus for energy after everyone had seen how destructive and out of control it could be. Or perhaps he intended to take a fall all along, and claim that Leon could control Eternatus and use it properly while the disaster was all his own fault. He seems the sort who would try to self sacrifice like that.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Plus having his plan happen on that day would ensure the whole world would be watching, though assuming Rose' intention was to lose control and have Leon catch Eternatus (his dialog after being beaten seems to imply this, as he seems to battle the protagonist just to delay them long enough for Leon to battle Eternatus), one wonders how he intended to have the public support his plan to use Eternatus for energy after everyone had seen how destructive and out of control it could be. Or perhaps he intended to take a fall all along, and claim that Leon could control Eternatus and use it properly while the disaster was all his own fault. He seems the sort who would try to self sacrifice like that.
That would actually make sense, since he states that he figured that Leon already caught it after he battles you.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I kinda consider myself a veteran player and was disappointed by a lot of thing in the game.Overall they couldve done a lot better and I'm hoping they fix those things in the sequel (hopefully)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Marnie was great but then they threw her to the wayside after Piers shows up and as well as during the postgame and also didn't let her Morpeko know any good moves.

Bede is the validation of my viewpoint on jerk rivals who go too far.

I'm understanding that the NatDex thing was inevitable, whether it were this Gen or within the next few, there are simply too many Pokemon to model in the timeframe they are given to make the games. Sure, some of the animations can be brought from past games, but not all of them, and many moves get new animations. There are also all the Camp animations which would have to be programmed individually for each Pokemon in this set of games.

Screw the GMAX catch rate not being 100%, especially when it's your OWN raid.

As big as the Wild Area is, it's inconvenient. There are only 3 spots you can Fly to. I don't actually mind the random weather all too much, I'm sure there's probably a pattern someone will figure out. And if you take out the Wild Area, the game feels very small. Though I am grateful for the chance to catch wild trade evolutions such as Gigalith and Machamp.

I love the ubiquity of Dynamax compared with the favoritism of Megas, but I dislike how GMAX is essentially (barring Garbodor and Melmetal) exclusive to Gens 1 and 8.

Another plus is that I like many of the new Pokemon: Snom line, Grapploct, Falinks, the starter lines minus the Sobble line, Hatenna line.

@Dragalge Basically everything about unicorns screams Fairy type, such as their rarity and inclination towards healing magic. Being good at getting rid of something doesn't make you immune to that thing.

TheWanderingMist

I felt like most of the trainers were way to easy apart from Leon who was a decent challenge
I wonder if that was intentional. If all the Trainers are easy, you think Leon will be too, then he comes at you with Pokemon likely 5-10 levels higher than you.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Screw the GMAX catch rate not being 100%, especially when it's your OWN raid.
Just to be clear, from what I've heard the catch rate is 100% but only if the GMAX you battle is your own raid and also not part of the increased encounter events that are occurring.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I feel like the catch rate for dynamic pokemon is way to high considering I've never failed a catch and done like 100+ raids

TheWanderingMist

I feel like the catch rate for dynamic pokemon is way to high considering I've never failed a catch and done like 100+ raids
Regular Dynamax is 100% I'm sure considering what I've used on them, it's GMAX that has the lowered rates.

TheWanderingMist

I kinda wanna use like a quick ball or something just to see if its really 100%
Anything that doesn't fit the criteria (Using a Fast Ball on a Machop, using a Moon Ball on a Minccino) of the ball gets a 1x multiplier, unless it's the Beast Ball, in which case it's 0.1x.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Regular Dynamax is 100% I'm sure considering what I've used on them, it's GMAX that has the lowered rates.
Specifically only the G-Max Pokemon part of the increased spawn event have the lowered catch rate. Regular G-Max spawns have a 100% catch rate (if you are playing solo).

MotostokeOnTrent

PokéJungle writer
Agreement with practically everything

This game needed More - More time, More money, More staff, whatever it was. So much is fundamentally great in concept, but the overwhelming impression is of multiple features being tragically cut short.

Imagine how great the story could be with three More interactions with Rose, setting out his motivations? How neat it would have been to actually see Leon take on the rampaging Dynamaxed Pokemon?

Think how colossal the region and Wild Area would feel with an extra 30% More physical geography across the board. How much More beautiful it would be with reeds and other aquatic plants in the blank lakes?

How cool would the cities be with More meaningful buildings? A ride on the Ferris wheel, or some generic animation for the trains and taxis?

I very recently started up another Heartgold run-through - yes, the development requirements are of a different magnitude, but there's a game that feels like it's oozing detail out of every pore.