• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Veteran Player's Feelings on Sword and Shield

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yea and reminds me of it in Moon and Ultra Sun. Stop holding my hand and let me play the game.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
10 routes aren't much. It's kinda stupid that Hop has to hold you hand. I never touched it again after I did the story and post-game.
Yea and reminds me of it in Moon and Ultra Sun. Stop holding my hand and let me play the game.
BUT HOW CAN WE MAKE SURE PEOPLE KNOW HOW TYPE MATCHUPS WORK IF WE DON'T KEEP REMINDING THEM OF IT?! WHAT IF THEY FORGET?!

Crushing Hop beneath my heel without using advantages is quite satisfying - playing with Piers' mindset is also a fun little challenge

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
10 routes aren't much. It's kinda stupid that Hop has to hold you hand. I never touched it again after I did the story and post-game.
I wouldn't call him pointing out when you use a super effective move "holding your hand," as it's just extra fluff dialog. Annoying yes, but they also present it as some kind of family trait (since Leon does the same thing, but no other trainers do). The actual handholdy stuff was actually pretty reduced compared to seventh gen, especially considering how you could outright skip a number of tutorials.

Anyway, just to show how experiences differ, I've clocked over a 100 hours in Shield thus far collecting, breeding and doing max raid battles and only just today got a Rain team ready to EV train and level up. Am trying out a nuzlocke on my Sword version.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
To be honest I wanted them to do another BW-like reset and only include Galar Pokemon until postgame. I also wanted the games to go back to the basics especially during battles and not introduce any new gimmicks like Dynamax or bring back older ones (mega evolutions and z moves.)

D

Deleted member 384931

To be honest I wanted them to do another BW-like reset and only include Galar Pokemon until postgame. I also wanted the games to go back to the basics especially during battles and not introduce any new gimmicks like Dynamax or bring back older ones (mega evolutions and z moves.)
I honestly too. I am sick of gimmicks at this point, ME was nice, Z-moves began to annoy me and by the time we got Dynamax I tried to not use it as a challenge

DaddyOak

that's a very minor problem or actually not a problem at all. how about just doing both having galar only pokemon optional. those things are never gamebreaking

Also while gen 5 pokemon only where fun having the combination of gen 5 pokemon and from other regions was better. it's having all options.

Having both zoroark and lucario in my main team early on during the story and black & white 2 was fun I'd rather have that than gen 5 pokemon only. that was an excellent decision

Also why not make it optional pretty much all past pokemon games did this. this was never a problem. if you didnt like it you could always trade some eggs for your perfect team or only catch region pokemon only. name me one pokemon game in wich making a team of gen exclusive pokemon wasnt possible during the routes.

gen 1 to 7 are all possible with region only pokemon. heck most people wanted to catch pokemon from other regions before postgame. why not leave the option in. i dont see why forcing people in gen only pokemon is a great thing. they are usually the more common species in the games anyway.

That's not the reason why sword & shield is bad. Heck i would love for sword & shield to have that as a main problem wich in reality is a very personal nitpick. there are far worse things than that wich have already be mentioned so many times.

Last edited:

DaddyOak

yea your right the games aren't bad but them just being ok especially compared to former titles wich where excellent make me a bit dissapointed in the series.

games being just ok is fun and all but that kinda makes me want to leave the series if it only goes downhill. in the past it was always damm new gen is going to be even better wich it was from gen 1 to 5 overall not to mention that former entires where already excellent. nowadays hope its not going to get worse next gen. and 3ds era was alright while one my least favourite era's it improved on X & Y and didnt get that much worse after oras remakes the quality was stable even if it was less than ds and gba era and than switch era came around with sword & shield and pokemon lets go. and here I was expecting stuff like the 3ds games. well at least gamefreak knows how they can suprise their audience.

hashtag ty gamefreak.

Last edited:

Dark_perro

As a 20+ pokemon player I fell this game is far better than the sun & moon ones. They'll never top Black's Hard Mode again. But I feel that the game has the potential to become as close as Pearl & Diamond if we get all pkmns.
The way I like to evaluate how good the game is by defeating the Elite Four (championship) only by leveling the pokemons with fighting the trainers without using traded pokemons or candies, by doing this the more challenging and best is pokemon black, followed by Diamond. In this game the level of challenge is just ok, the only battle when I really was pissed off was on the final battle with the annoying Hop, but I never lost one battle, being that the last time I lost on the game main story is with N battle. Now the battle tower is a different thing, and I am still waiting for my dream game being with that level of difficulty.
Being said that I feel that leveliing up the pokemons with candies is a cheap trick, the absence of really powerful trainers is also a flaw, And I still don't get the motive of gigamaxing, I feel that there was more stategy involving the Mega-evolutions just because the fact that you could change the ability of the pkmn really made you think and develop t in different ways.
The game is fun to play and I can dress the female avatar to please my otaku fixations, but Hop is a pain in the ass and I love to kick his ass with just 1 pokemon, until the last battle when the game decided that overpowering it.
So finally I give this one a 75/100 and if all the pokemos become available then it would react the 84/100 grade.

Dark_perro

Having read more past post I have to add that since I began working I only play the game for the battle tower type of battles and when the online feat that boosts me to keep playing, I have many excel files with possible teams and I love to think how to breed pokemons to get 1 egg move, and that's why I miss that there a very few post'game stong trainers, The exp candy system is dull and boring. I remembered how many strong fighters were on Black & White and it was a joy to level up the pokemons that way. I guess that is my main complain with the game.

I don't have any complains for the tech stuff such as graphics or VA, (as an born spanish guy I hate any US english VA, and I always turn to japanese when possible), maybe because since I've been playing since atari those stuff is irrelevant to me. As long as my avatar looks cute/sexy is fine.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I've been playing the games since Gen 1 so I guess I can be considered a veteran.

I had fun with Sword/Shield; the new Pokemon were great and some of the QoL improvements are pretty nice. However, these games also have a lot of flaws which I'm not gonna defend, such as things like pacing, the out of nowhere "plot" and the bare bones post game (trying to make competitive Pokemon the primary post game activity isn't good enough).

I am of the opinion that these games would actually really benefit from a 3rd version/sequel. These games definitely feel like they aren't as good as they should have been, which is a shame as I feel these games still have tons of hidden potential if they expand on it, which I'm hoping for.

DaddyOak

I reeeeally don't think that second word next to cute is what you should be describing a ten year old avatar. .__.

To be fair there isnt an confirmed age this time around unlike sun & moon not to mention that even in past games when it was confirmed in the interviews gamefreak responded that you judge the age by yourselves. there where a ton of people questioning why it had to be 10 years old and that was their response.

in black & white series there where actually confirmed ages of 14 to 16 in BW2. I'm pretty sure gen 5 had the oldest confirmed playable main characters with those ages.

Simular to their response to what dynamax actually is or what the confirmed strongest pokemon is they want you to have an own interpretation. if you think that magicarp is the strongest pokemon in pokemon universe than gamefreak will let you think that.

It's save to say that it's well below 18 Considering character heights ingame I'd estimate them to be at least 13 to maybe 16 definitely older than 10.

sun & moon though that age was correctly drawn at 11 years old.

They probably wanted to please both sides with the character not being to young or to old in terms of looks with once again no confirmed age since in japan the strategy is to match the age with their audience. 10 years old is their target audience afterall.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Sadly that decision is why BW was very controversial when it was first released since not all players play the game in that fashion. Particularly as the Galar-mons is somewhat limited in type variety notably with Fire (Centiskorch and Coalossal if you did not pick Scorbunny) and Ground (just the Sandaconda and G-Yamask lines).

DaddyOak

Sadly that decision is why BW was very controversial when it was first released since not all players play the game in that fashion. Particularly as the Galar-mons is somewhat limited in type variety notably with Fire (Centiskorch and Coalossal if you did not pick Scorbunny) and Ground (just the Sandaconda and G-Yamask lines).

the only reason why gen 5 could do gen 5 only pokemon before postgame is because the dex is the largest in the entire series

Gen 5 introduced 156 new pokemon even more than gen 1.

besides gen 1 with 151 pokemon only gen 3 came close at 135

i mean like gen 6 and 7 had only 70 and 82 pokemon and with gen 7 being a ton non pokemon ultra beast it's a very small dex

Galar dex is only 81 new pokemon that's not enough to justify what black & white did. we would need to have at least the amount of gen 3 pokemon to do a region thing only.

And seeing how gamefreak has a tough time designing a ton of pokemon in the last few generations that's not happening again.

also looking at gen 1 to 5 it was consistently 100 or far more. yet in 3ds era till switch it's an average of the high 70's with the quality drop when 3ds era came around

Gamefreak losing is or just a random coincidence. It's kinda fishy considering that gen 1 to 5 where great and gen 6 and up are so meh. i'm kinda thinking it's not random.

I'm all for quality over quantity but the designs overall in gen 6 and up while good where not as great as past gens imo. that's pretty strange having less and yet the designs arent as good. there are some exceptions as greninja but same can be said for past 5 gens and with better ones.

Gen 1: 151
Gen 2: 100
Gen 3: 135
Gen 4: 107
Gen 5: 156
Gen 6: 72
Gen 7: 82
Gen 8 at 81

Last edited:

Miar

Wigglytuff Guild recruit
I personally count regionals as separate Mons since they're not transformations like Mega or G-MAX.

G7: 100
G8: 94

The game is NOT lacking in Pokemon. You can have an endgame team, with Ice-types even, before the first gym.

The XP system only make the game super easy if you use a few mons. I rotated boxes' worth of Pokemon (getting evos and such) to keep levels down, and in the end I actually needed Candy to get one member up to snuff (Only my longest-running member was 66 by Leon)

No, my own complaints stem from the story. It's lacking in the midgame, seemingly pushing you AWAY from important stuff, and then shoves all of it in one go at the end, and it's so basic.

Maybe I was expecting too much wanting some character twist. This is Pokemon, where everyone is super honest with themselves. So of course Leon had no façade or conspiracy. Of course Rose was the well-intentioned villain. The only twist was that I didn't get to catch Zamazenta before it was over.

Dark_perro

I reeeeally don't think that second word next to cute is what you should be describing a ten year old avatar. .__.

"Nul homme n'est hypocrite dans ses plaisirs" , "Le besoin d'avoir raison, signe d'un esprit vulgaire" just two Albert Camus quotes to reply the nonsense that you wrote.