1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

VGC 10 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Yeti, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Yeti

Yeti Banned

Reno felt this would be a good idea. Since this is probably the biggest irl tournament/competitive battling that's organized and has actual prizes.

POKEMON VGC 2010 RULES:

1. HEART GOLD/SOUL SILVER ARE THE ONLY GAMES BEING USED

2. Double Battle Cup

3. 4 pokemon in a battle

4. Pokemon lv. 1 through lv 100 are allowed (!)

5. Battles are at lv. 1-50. If the pokemon are above lv. 50, the game will auto level them down to lv. 50 for the battle. Moves will stay intact during the auto leveling. If a pokemon is under lv. 50, no change is made.

6. No two of the same pokemon can be used (species clause)

7. Item Clause is on, Soul Dew is banned.

8. BANNED POKEMON ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Mew
    Celebi
    Jirachi
    Deoxys (all forms)
    Phione
    Manaphy
    Darkrai
    Shaymin
    Arceus

9. You may use UP TO TWO UBERS PER TEAM (probably means Team Sheet as well). This means that you cannot have a team like Kyogre/Palkia/Dialga/Mewtwo. Non-banned Ubers are considered to be:

Mewtwo
    Lugia
    Ho-oh
    Kyogre
    Groudon
    Rayquaza
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Giratina

10. Any other pokemon may be used (this includes Tyranitar and all Rotom forms!)

11. A few move changes: Nature Power always results in Tri Attack; Secret Power has a one third chance of paralysis; using Camouflage means your pokemon becomes Normal type

First Stop:
    Seattle Center - May 8

c/p'd off the thread on smogon forums (doubt they'll mind too much!)

Tourney stops haven't been announced yet but I will edit this post once they have (expect the announcement March 14 more than likely).

Discuss potential strategies, teams, and the general VGC metagame now that title legendaries have been permitted.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Blue Harvest

Blue Harvest Banned

I want to go to this but the closest one is likely going to be in New York City. Still I can probably get off from work and convince some friends to go on a horribly dorkish road trip.

Just need to build a team now..

3. Nocturne.Lullaby

Nocturne.Lullaby Pokemon Breeder

Hm.. I'd be somewhat interested in at least going to one of these, as I'd love to see what teams people construct..

But I must say. The banned pokemon list seems a bit odd. I can understand Celebi and Mew not being permitted, as they are rarely legit.. so most entering the competition would either have hacked theirs.. or unknowingly have a hacked version..

But certain pokemon like Manaphy and Shaymin just... don't seem to fit on the list to me..

4. pastel

pastel Viva el Reggaeton!

Well, I made my team, its made of a cherrim + groudon combination. I haven't tried yet since I just finished it, but having groudon's stats boosted looks promising.
    SpDef Boost: Groudon's SpDef is his worst stat, so having a x1.5 boost is a good idea.
    Atk Boost: His atack is already insanely huge, so having another x1.5 boost might be one of my best ideas.

I'm also using a Ho-Oh, since it gets some nice boosts too, as long as Garchomp. I'll also use a zapdos, wich combined with chom-gon was the most used pair in 09 VGC.

I also want to try an anti weather team and a hail team later, but it's alot of work.

5. palingensia

palingensia amends

It's going to be horrible with Ubers allowed. Talk about centralizing.

6. lizardude

lizardude Banned

i never went to one and dont plan on it. cbf even though i live near a place

7. calze6

calze6 Reclaiming da ladder

Firstly, I can't go and this is just stupid disallowing celebi, mew etc ad allowing powerhouses like kyogre and palkia.

8. Yeti

Yeti Banned

They didn't allow Mew/Celebi/other event legendaries because you can't get them in-game without events, and because not everyone has access to events its unfair. I also assume it's because regardless of if people could get them from events they would more than likely be hacked for good stats, etc.

All the title legendaries (+Mewtwo) can now be acquired legitimately ingame on a fourth-gen cart, and can be lowered to lv 50 if they are above it via the online system. So there's no 'question' of legitimacy in theory.

Though because this enables eternal weather it then makes most teams have to revolve around either running a certain kind of weather or being adaptable to any kind of weather and not suffering too badly if there is a weather-based team.

9. Blue Harvest

Blue Harvest Banned

Yeah. Its literally all "Groudon / Kyogre" weather team or "Mewtwo / Giratina" Selfdestruct team or even "Dialga / filler" Trick Room.

I have yet to see any team attempt something more creative then that. Maybe a Scarf Smeargle with Dark Void could open up some uber holes.

Edit:

Hey.. how does Me-First work in double battles? Does it copy not only the move, but the move target as well? Imagine Mewtwo Me-Firsting your own Specs Kyogre or, if the attack is based off your own special attack start copying a Focus Sash Smeargle loaded with whatever moves you'd like. Smeargle Earthquake will actually do just 3% against a 4/0 Mewtwo if Earthquake hits another target (75% power) and Smeargle has 0 attack IVs and runs a negative nature.

EDIT 2:

Crap, Me First can't select your own pokemon team mates. Fail.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  10. pastel

pastel Viva el Reggaeton!

Well, other than the reasons yeti already mencioned, this are allowed for the creation of more creative sets of pokemons. Lets say you want to try an ant-weather team, Rayquaza's here. Let's say you want a permanent rain, Kiogre's here. And if you want eternal sunchine? Groudon is in play.

Also, complementing what yeti said about not being able to get the events, some parts of the word have not received some events others do. Maybe the winner of the USA VGC will go against the winner of "x" country VGC winner. Wait, are you expecting that a guy that had not the option to get even a manahy will be put to face an arceus, a darkrai, or a mew?

11. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

lol I'll be one of those guys ^.^

Considering how bad a competitive player I am and how roughly my *** was handed to me last year, I'll take every advantage I can get. :)

Although I am also considering a team that would flourish against the weather teams. I will see how they do on the wifi and make a decision afterward.

The only reason I sorta like the new rules is that it may discourage the hardcore competitors from attending. That gives us less competitively skilled players a chance to go far. Think of the children!!!!

edit: was responding to Blue's post. In case anyone gets confused. :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  12. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

Most people with the unique stuff don't record it. I've seen some really wild stuff in my VGC battles. Like Clamperl. I mean I've seen it actually dominating battles, not just a humor move.

Well we all know. End of the day. Nobody wants to be at any of the West Coast stops this year for fear of yours truly. I strongly encourage you all to carelessly post your well-thought out strategies so I can proceed to counter them. Continue on.

13. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

Hehe, I smell a challenge. :D

14. zerowing

zerowing I forgot burn heal

Yo ***** you lost to a girl on Smogon, the only thing people should be fearing is your hygiene.

15. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

My hygiene =0 ? Ahahahahaha! You've got two months to keep laughing it up on that one battle. In May, we'll see if you can battle as well as you makes jokes.

16. zerowing

zerowing I forgot burn heal

I have no doubts in my mind she could beat you over and over, you're garbage bro. I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart, I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah!

17. ThePurpleMew

ThePurpleMew Member

How do these events actually work then, do you just turn up or pre-register?

If someone who has been previosuly could explain what happens in a bit more detail that would be good

18. ungulateman

ungulateman Miltank Man!

Hey look, trash talk. How mature.

Anyway, he lost to a girl fromm Smogon. So what? Does being female suddenly make victory much more difficult or something?

As for actual on-topicness, this looks to be absurdly broken with the allowed legendaries. Mewtwo and Kyogre alone make this horribly centralised.

19. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

@ThePurpleMew: If it is anything like last year then it will work like this:

1) Print out (or pick up at the place on the day of the tourny) a team sheet.

2) Fill it out.

3) Wait in line for about an hour and a half, then register.

4) You will get a wrist band with a pokemon name and # on it (I think it's its pokedex number)

5) Pray your pokemon and number are chosen when they produce the randomly generated list of competitors.

6) If chosen, good luck.

7) If not, enjoy the battles or battle the others that weren't chosen.

Hope that helped :)

20. ThePurpleMew

ThePurpleMew Member

Thanks DBK, I'm not really a into the competitive battle side of things i really just wanted to go to get the event poke given away.

If that usually via wifi or is it given over when you get you game checked?