• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 10 Discussion Thread

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Once again congratulations to those that qualified for Worlds in Hawaii and especially to those that earned the all-expenses paid trip there. For a limited time, I will be offering for free any pokemon from my trade thread to those that qualified in an effort to do the best at possible and hopefully win it all at worlds this time.

Alerion

Straight outta Johto
Jessie and BadIntent, I hope you guys run Worlds. Im cheering for you guys!

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
i never could get to the regionals tournament. my ride got cancelled literally at the last second. :( funny thing is, my friends still think i could have made it to nationals.(i still doubt them)

yeah, i'm with the rest here, though. Jessie and BadIntent, you two better rock the world tournament in Hawaii. you've got many people behind you, cheering you on. you can do this. :)

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
I don't mean to be lazy, but what do you guys think the biggest threat will be at Worlds?
And, I don't just mean the pokemon, but what the pokemon does, too. I'm predicting a large number of Haban Palkia. Those are almost impossible to take down! XD

BadIntent

MSankey
Thanks, EE Alerion and gustavo 14

Well, TR Jessie, I know the biggest two threats at Worlds will by far be me and BlueCookies. c:

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
Thanks, EE Alerion and gustavo 14

Well, TR Jessie, I know the biggest two threats at Worlds will by far be me and BlueCookies. c:

Totally agree with that. Wait, I thought BlueCookies didn't get the trip to worlds.

BadIntent

MSankey
Totally agree with that. Wait, I thought BlueCookies didn't get the trip to worlds.

c:

He didn't get a free trip, but all the top 16 qualified for Worlds. He's just paying for the flight himself. Personally, I think everyone that got top 16 should have gotten paid flights but oh well.

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
c:

He didn't get a free trip, but all the top 16 qualified for Worlds. He's just paying for the flight himself. Personally, I think everyone that got top 16 should have gotten paid flights but oh well.

How on earth is that kid paying for a flight, hotel, food and everything else? That must cost thousands! XD

I'll probably get banned for saying this but...

Yeah thousands. The cheapest roundtrip flight my wife could find for just the two of us was $900+ per person. Then there are expensive hotels in Hawaii (because of the high demand) expensive food (because most of it is shipped into the state) and finally the expensive taxis (because they CAN charge that much).

Even though I got an invite this year, I got to play last year, so I'll just hold off and hope to win a paid trip again next year. :)

I know that you (Jesse), BI, and OMGSHWOW Greysong too have a great chance at winning 1st! Serebii for the win this year!

Last edited:

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
I'll probably get banned for saying this but...

Yeah thousands. The cheapest roundtrip flight my wife could find for just the two of us was $900+ per person. Then there are expensive hotels in Hawaii (because of the high demand) expensive food (because most of it is shipped into the state) and finally the expensive taxis (because they CAN charge that much).

Even though I got an invite this year, I got to play last year, so I'll just hold off and hope to win a paid trip again next year. :)

I know that you (Jesse), BI, and OMGSHWOW Greysong too have a great chance at winning 1st! Serebii for the win this year!

I thought you were banned. Glad to see you're not. :)
I certainly hope one of us can win this. I soooo wanna go to Japan, like really badly.
I'm having trouble thinking of a good team. I can think of stuff, but then it has these flaws, which another team doesn't have, but it has those flaws. You know what I mean? Like, what kind of team is really the best? Does trick room prosper in this metagame?

I'm sure somebody'll get me banned for giving you this advice, but...

Jesse...
take a deeeeeeep breath...
breathe in...
breathe out...
forget
what
everyone
says
about
the metagame

I used a Sun Fueled Explosion team at Nats and it pwn'd. Does Sun/Explosion have weaknesses? TONS Did it work? Absolutely.

Look at your own team. I doubt you could have heard or noticed it because you were so focused playing but there were tons of top notch players in the crowd going, "ABSOL?! WHO THE &^%$(&^ USES ABSOL?! THERE'S NO WAAAAAY THAT'S GONNA WORK!!
but
then
you
did
it
;)

Here's my advice *coughcoughtwiceinvitedtothepokemonworldchampionshipcoughcough*

Pick a team. Any team. It really doesn't matter (I'm NOT joking about that).
1) Make sure it's something you LIKE
2) Make sure it has "good" IVs/EVs
3) Make sure each poke "fits" with the other (no Choice Spec'd Discharging Zapdos on the same team as a Kyogre etc duh...)
4) Get as many practice battles in with as many different types of teams as you possibly can

Do that. And you'll do very VERY well.

You're an excellent player Jesse(Brianna). Don't worry, don't fret, relax, enjoy the trip as a TRIP and

GO WITH YOUR GUT!!!

Oh, and I'm serious if you, Bad Intent or Greysong need anything at all, let me know ASAP, and I'll have it for you. Since I won't be there, I don't have any problem helping you guys out with whatever you need. I'm rooting for you three to take first this year. First US Senior win!!

USA USA
USA USA

usa.gif
_41798970_usa416.jpg

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
lol thanks, Mattj.

See, I don't exactly care about what the most standard pokemon are, it's just that... well, I don't know. XD

Anyway, I think I've got some ideas and I hope that I'll see some cool teams when I go like a person who uses all Kanto pokemon (and maybe another region's legendaries or whatever)

I hate how like every team has a haban Palkia. They are so annoying! DX

BadIntent

MSankey
lol thanks, Mattj.

See, I don't exactly care about what the most standard pokemon are, it's just that... well, I don't know. XD

Anyway, I think I've got some ideas and I hope that I'll see some cool teams when I go like a person who uses all Kanto pokemon (and maybe another region's legendaries or whatever)

I hate how like every team has a haban Palkia. They are so annoying! DX

I used Haban Palkia c:

JRank

VGC expert
Just wanted to say great job to Jessie, mattj, and BI. And to anyone who says, "Who is this guy, I'll let ya'll know that I happened to get 22nd at Nationals this year. I also had to play BI round one. >__<

I'm sure someone will find a reason to ban me for posting this...

JRank it was really nice to get to meet you at Nats, and thank you. :)

Last edited:
I saw you, but I don't think I actually talked to you, hahaha.

Bro, if you read my warstory it was total sensory overload that whole time. I had planned on shaking everybody's hand, and getting to know everyone better, but there were just so many people there and even at the breakneck speed I was meeting everyone there just wasn't enough time in even the 3 days I was there to really get to talk to everyone AAAAAND participate in the tourney (maybe one or the other). :/

I still did see ya though. :)

JRank

VGC expert
Bro, if you read my warstory it was total sensory overload that whole time. I had planned on shaking everybody's hand, and getting to know everyone better, but there were just so many people there and even at the breakneck speed I was meeting everyone there just wasn't enough time in even the 3 days I was there to really get to talk to everyone AAAAAND participate in the tourney (maybe one or the other). :/

I still did see ya though. :)

Right before it started I saw you arrive with BI and was standing really close to you guys trying branch out and say hi but your strongth was intimidating, and your mohawk. :p

Right before it started I saw you arrive with BI and was standing really close to you guys trying branch out and say hi but your strongth was intimidating, and your mohawk. :p

Lol, Huy just showed me a pic of him today. He's rawking a hawk now too!