1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

VGC 10 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Yeti, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mattj

mattj .

It's not necissarily the teams that are so good. It's the people that are using them. They're good. Pokemon are just pokemon.

And on that note, congrats to Xerograde for winning tops at Phoenix!! MAH BOI!!!!

2. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

That's what I meant. The people using them are just riding the weather train. I did not see that much strategy outside of the standard weather team strategies. Like I said, I have faced similar teams/trainers on wifi and have held my own. If that is what is to be expected in NJ, then I think I'll do pretty well.

Anyone know if the video for the Phoenix finals is up?

3. mattj

mattj .

hee heee.... you wanna face the actual team and see for yourself? lolololol

OH AND HOW COULD I FORGET!!!!!

CONGRATS BAD INTENT!!!
    I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!!
    WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

see you at nats bro!​

4. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

Exactly. Although it somewhat looked like they just threw a bunch of Pokemon together to me. I think running a weather team is fine, but you gotta make sure that the Pokemon you've chosen work together really well. Like when I saw Kyogore and Abamasnow on the same team I was kind of suprised. It kind of made me think that they had a bunch of Pokemon who could change the weather so that they could get off powerful attacks. Kind of like a team I fought on PBR that used Groudon, Kyogre, Tyranitar, and Abamasnow. It just doesn't make sense to use four different Pokemon that cause four different weather effects. Maybe have something like a Tyranitar and a Hippodon, where they cause the same kind of weather. It also didn't make sense because it was a double battle, it's not like it was a single battle where they could send them in and have weather that works for them even.

I think that luck will play a huge roll in the victories for a lot of people, but hopefully there will be a lot of skilled people there. If I do lose, I want to lose because the person was a lot more skilled than I am. Not because an attack missed or something. Although, is it double or single elimination? This is my first time going to something like this. The biggest tournaments I've been to are the ones that they hold at the Game Stops in my area, although the people who show up to those never know anything about natures, IVs, EVs, or anything else for that matter. =/

5. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

I would, actually. :)

I agree. I if you are going to use a weather team, stick to one type of weather and build a team around that. Don't jam you team with weather-makers and maybe a sweeper and spam them.

I also agree that if I am going to lose, that I would prefer to lose to someone that is better than me rather than by chance. Beat me with skill, not lucky misses or hits.

6. mattj

mattj .

Sweet! Which FC? Use my Plat FC. Oh, and you might possibly be able to get a hold of me better on smogon, but meh.

eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhh.... I'd have to disagree firmly. If your team is based on say Sun, and you're running a Brave 0spd Groudon paired with say an Adamant Chlorophyll Shiftrty as leads to take advantage of the auto Sun, when your Groudon gets the rain over say, your opponent's Kyogre's Rain, all they have to do is switch in a sashed Abomasnow and Protect with Kyogre. Aboma can take pretty much anything you can dish and your weather advantage is completely screwed. And sure, go ahead and switch out Groudon to get the Sun back. You'll be eating four Blizzards, one pair STAB from Aboma and the other pair from one of the highest SAtks in the game. And this is only ONE example of how dual+ weather teams are useful.

7. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

Lol I don't use smogon much outside of a few team building pointers. I can't battle right away. I am not done with my VGC team yet. lol when we battle it will be with our vgc teams. :)

In that instance I agree. I meant that having three or more weather makers and trying to take advantage of that many weather effects is foolish. Having two different weather makers and using them wisely is fine.

8. TR_Jessie

TR_Jessie Adventure Seeker

I've seen this before! It is so ridiculous.
    I'm sad to say that I can't pull off weather teams. :(

9. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

I can't disagree with that. But it can be a double-edged sword (At least for some people). For example a team I fought on PBR tonight used Kabutops, Kyogre, Abomasnow, and Walrein. I wasn't able to figure out exactly what they were doing, but from what I saw it looked like they were trying to run a weather/stall team. From what I could tell, they used Kyogre for Toxic. Kabutops was for Stealth Rock and maybe some sweeping, Abamasnow was to change the weather to hail and use Leech Seed, and Walrein was used to stall people out. But I was able to take out Kyogre faster than they planned, so Kabutops lost the rain support and the forced switch kind of screwed up their plans.

I think that a lot of people seem to plan strategies that sound good in theory, but they haven't covered some big weaknesses/flaws in their team. So when you have someone like that trying to use a team that has more than one weather type, they've screwed their self. I feel that it's possible to have an amazing team based around any kind of strategy, but I just seem to see a lot of knock-offs of good strategies out there. Like people will see a really good strategy and try to mimic it, but completely ruin it because they don't know all the finer details of the team. Although the exact opposite can be true too; some people see a really good strategy and are able to improve it to make it better.

I just think that when everyone is running a team that uses two or more weather effects, the vast majority are going to suck because they're just using it because they saw someone use it really well. Know what I'm sayin'?

10. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

Thanks so much for supporting me, TR Jessie and MattJ!!! So much.

I just got back from a 12 hour drive from the Phoenix, Arizona VGC. I'll post a warstory of the 3 Regionals I went to when I get time tomorrow. But yeah, I just placed top 8 on Saturday, so all of the doubters *cough*Yeti*cough* have been disproved.

11. mattj

mattj .

Yeah, the thing about weather this year is that you really can't rely to much at all on it. If you build your team with Kyogre, another uuber and 2 more Swift Swimmers... you're prolly gonna fail. Either someone else will lead with an Abomasnow, or they'll switch a TTar in or something and you'll lose your advantage.

And Jessie, if you can't build a team around weather, good for you! xD You don't have to (LOL). Just use what works for you, BUT plan a way to screw over weather because a lot of people will be using it.

and again BI

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

12. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

Oh, and about the weather discussion. Pretty much you need 1 minimum if you want to place top 16. Two is extremely helpful. Three is fine too. I mean take a look:

Seattle Champ: zerowing- Hitmontop Kyogre Abomasnow Palkia
    San Mateo Champ: Duy- Cresselia Groudon Kyogre Abomasnow
    Phoenix Champ: Xerograde- Rayquaza (you can argue that it's not "weather") Metagross Tyranitar Mewtwo

And if you think you can just blow those teams out because "they are just typical weather teams", then you'd better make sure you book a flight to the Last Chance Qualifier.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  13. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

While I agree that one weather maker is a must, and two is fine for a more solidified team, three or more is just overkill.

I myself am using a weather maker, but the way my team is built, I will only need it as a late sweeper.

And congrats BI. I still can't believe you went to all three regionals. You sir are nuts....in a good way. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

Same, my weather maker is only in my team for part of another strategy. The weather is just a bonus, but over all the weather won't affect my team. After seeing all the weather teams lately, I've built a team that can counter weather or even in some cases use their weather to my own advantage while using my original strategy.

Also, does anyone know if it'll be double or single elimination? I've got mixed responses. =/

15. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

I don't know you, but congratulations! xD

16. DBK

DBK Renegade Trainer

lol great minds think alike. I think we made the same teams, cause mine is built to do the same thing your does. :) If we ever face each other, it could be a long battle. :)

17. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

lol It would be interesting if our teams are that similar. The match will probably be determined by who can out last the other, which is my kind of match. I absolutely love long battles. =)

18. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

Thanks guys. 3 Regionals was definitely a journey. I would post a warstory here but I'm not sure if I should just put it in this thread or not. It's not anything the people in that dead shoddy singles warstory forum would care about anyway.

Well the Cress/Groudon/Kyogre/Abomasnow team was really good. I think if you know what you're doing, 3 weathers is fine. I believe this year's Seattle winner made the SF winner's team too so if someone that good is running 3 weathers, I'm not gonna knock it. And aspitfire90, it's single elimination at Regionals. Swiss in Nationals. Swiss best of 3 in Nationals top 16.

19. aspitfire90

aspitfire90 Member

You should post it. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd be very interested to hear what it was like. Not only would it be interesting, but it would help a lot to know what to expect.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  20. BadIntent

BadIntent MSankey

Ok I will post it. The link to it on Serebii is right here (to be updated momentarily)