• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 10 Discussion Thread

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
I'm really nervous! My turn to fight is coming this Saturday. I bet you I'm gonna choke up or something and lose in the first round against someone who doesn't know what they are doing. XD

@mattj:
Yeah, I've got the weirdest team ever. I beat some really talented guy named "fish" online with it and won 3-0. I'm ready for the weather (I think).

@BadIntent:
It's so awesome that you made it that far! I knew you could do it. :D
You should post that warstory. Do you know who you lost against, by any chance?
Hopefully I'll see you at nationals, by the way.

I'm really nervous! My turn to fight is coming this Saturday. I bet you I'm gonna choke up or something and lose in the first round against someone who doesn't know what they are doing. XD

@mattj:
Yeah, I've got the weirdest team ever. I beat some really talented guy named "fish" online with it and won 3-0. I'm ready for the weather (I think).

You're gonna be at Houston? Dang I was hoping to see ya at Atlanta. Oh well. Nats it is. I know you'll do just fine.

And LOL at beating Jason Fischer.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Does the 2 ubers allowed include stuff like azelf or do they fall in normal?

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Can anyone let us (who have yet to participate) now how the tourney is handled? As in the structure of the brackets, the type of elimination (single or double), etc. Every time someone asks, they get ignored. Thanks in advance.

BadIntent

MSankey
Can anyone let us (who have yet to participate) now how the tourney is handled? As in the structure of the brackets, the type of elimination (single or double), etc. Every time someone asks, they get ignored. Thanks in advance.

Ok, read this everyone. Then you'll see how the tourney is handled. Single elimination. 9 rounds. You line up and hand in your team information sheets. Then you get a wristband. You are paired up with the person you are next to in line in the first zone (or if you're one of the first 64, you just go to any open station). In the preceeding rounds you just fight whoever is available in the next zone. There are 4 zones and you will need either 3 or 4 matches to make it to the "finalists" lounge. Most likely four; I think Seattle messed up in doing 3. Even in the lounge you're not even guaranteed a spot to nationals. You need to get to at least round 6 to get that far.

I took out almost all the pictures and videos (there were a ton) and shortened the story a lot, because Serebii players probably won't know most of the people I referred to in the full version. But if you want to read the full story, you can find my warstory on Smogon or Skarmbliss.

MAY 9, 2010- Seattle, WA

So I it's finally May 9, 2010. They day I will finally see if all the VGC seeds I planted will bear fruit. I chill in the building and just kinda mess around for a bit. I end up seeing zerowing (who was a lot shorter and had a much higher voice than I imagined) and his ducks. I knew him and the ducks were good, but I wouldn't know just how good until later that day.

My Team:

392.png
487.png
248.png
484.png

Round 1: Vs Feathers

Well I get off the Scarf Force + Close Combat combo perfectly. It gets a crit on one of her Pokemon. It was pretty downhill from there. She had a good team that probably could have very likely placed top 16, but my team was able to counter it pretty well. I win.

Round 2: Vs 21 Year old guy.

He leads with Zapdos Groudon. This team is made to murder that lead. I use the same Shadow Force + Flare Blitz combo to kill Groudon without it even getting to attack. Infernape gets down to a sliver from Discharge and a Blaze and Drought boosted Flare Blitz kill Zapdos. Giratina Shadow force rapes the reserved Mewtwo. I forgot the last Pokemon, but I win this battle handily as well.

Round 3 Vs Fish.

Dude. Fish is hella good. That's all I can say. I lost this battle 4-0. He was a duck and now I finally saw how strong they were. I'm not sure how much input zerowing had on this team but I'm guessing a lot. It's about as flawless a team I've seen in VGC 2010. And that's saying a lot when almost every lead has an obvious and immediate counter. I think it's better than Kyogre/Top, but that's just me.

So I fly home very disappointed. But I have to pick myself back up, because one week later, it's time for the San Mateo VGC! I didn't get any video from this one because I was really focused but I did get some pictures.

MAY 15, 2010- San Mateo, CA

Ok so you guys already know how I do my prebattle by now so let's just get into them. Oh, but you need my team first.
Here, you guess the movesets. 90% of your guesses on EVs and attacks will be correct since this team is just a more aggressive variation of Misa Room.

235.png
483.png
68.png
382.png

Round 1: vs a girl

She was nice but she lead with Metagross and Roserade. Yeah... I cleaned up.

Round 2: vs an owner of some Pokemon site

Ok this guy was not bad. He leads with Dialga and Kyogre. I'm already thinking he's like zerowing and has Abomasnow and Hitmontop in the back. (a few days before the Seattle VGC, I battled zerowing on irc as mrbananagrabber and he lead with Palkia Kyogre, followed by Hitmotop Abomasnow. I battled Littlesnail in one of the Skarmlive finals with those same four before I battled zerowing, and needless to say I got crushed. It's a shame he wasn't at Seattle because that team turned out to be the best. Okay, anyway I end up Faking Out Dialga anyway. I say, since Smeargle is level 1 I can't really go wrong in Trick Room. Water Spout does over half to Dialga and I get Trick Room up. I endeavor and Dragon Pulse Kyogre for the kill and his Dialga Dracos mine for the kill. They send in Swampert and I send in Machamp. I Dynamic Punch Dialga for the kill and Swampert Waterfall crits Machamp for the kill. I endeavor the Swampert down to 1 HP. They send in Blissey and I send in Kyogre. Now i'm glad that I'm running the level 1 set. I Endeavor the Blissey all the way down to 1 HP and as the HP is dropping the other guy let's out a huge "Ugghhh!" Water Spout kills both of his guys before they can attack.

Round 3: Vs. Eric Wu

Ugh. ****ing Hitmontop. After this battle I have complete disdain for zerowing and his team. Hitmontop just raped my team by itself. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS8DbTAfAIM

MAY 22, 2010- Phoenix, AZ. The not so "war" story

Okay, since this team did so well and mainly only lost due to misprediction, I'm going to go ahead and keep it a secret. But long story short, I won rounds 1-4. Then I made it to the finalist lounge. I got a bye in round 5 and that got me an invite to nationals. I literally hugged Xerograde when we both drew a bye lol. I won round 6 against Masha's brother. I lost in round 7 to a semifinalist (who lost to Persian/Weavile lead >_>). However the person I lost to was running the same four Pokemon as the runner up so I'm not tripping too bad. This is the second tourney I've lost to the second place player.

I HAVE A LIVE VIDEO OF THE FINAL MATCH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kq_9-5fSC4. Thanks to Supe for letting me get a clear shot.

BITop24.jpg

Thanks to Fish for taking this. One of my favorite pics of all time.​

To everyone who can make it: see you at Nationals. I'll be there the day of the LCQ just to socialize. The pressure will be off that day so it should be a great day to hang out.

I know I didn't win the whole thing but I'd like to thank MattJ, GreySong, Jivetime, DANUKES, sixonesix, TR Jessie, VashTSx98 for their constant support in helping me get this far. Even when I was down, and most people doubted me, they stuck with me.

Last edited:

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
You're gonna be at Houston? Dang I was hoping to see ya at Atlanta. Oh well. Nats it is. I know you'll do just fine.

And LOL at beating Jason Fischer.

:D

Well, I'm pretty must just doin' this 'cause it's my dream to go to Hawaii for free!
Oh, and that DSi.

DBK

Renegade Trainer

Thanks for that. I have a question though. Where there not that many participants there? I have a hard time seeing how 9 rounds (basically 9 battles) is enough for around 700 battlers. And I thought they weren't doing the wristbands anymore?

BadIntent

MSankey
Thanks for that. I have a question though. Where there not that many participants there? I have a hard time seeing how 9 rounds (basically 9 battles) is enough for around 700 battlers. And I thought they weren't doing the wristbands anymore?

9 rounds is enough. 2^9 is 512. I'm guessing if it gets over that, they'd just do 10 rounds which would be enough for 1024 people.

Wristbands are just to show your number in case they get over 768 people. It hasn't happened in Seattle, SF or Phoenix, but it's likely to in Newark.

9 rounds is enough. 2^9 is 512. I'm guessing if it gets over that, they'd just do 10 rounds which would be enough for 1024 people.

Wristbands are just to show your number in case they get over 768 people. It hasn't happened in Seattle, SF or Phoenix, but it's likely to in Newark.

What happens if there are that many people? They're not going to do a lottery are they?

Oh, and how long before registration would you suggest being there by?

DBK

Renegade Trainer

Considering how many showed up last year in Philly, I can almost guarantee that happening. :) I guess it just seems weird that out of all those people, all you have to do is beat 9 to place first. :)

Thanks again for the info. I hope to see you in nats.

BadIntent

MSankey
Considering how many showed up last year in Philly, I can almost guarantee that happening. :) I guess it just seems weird that out of all those people, all you have to do is beat 9 to place first. :)

Thanks again for the info. I hope to see you in nats.

Sure thing! Well trust me, 9 wins in a row is pretty tough; I couldn't do it =X (lost at 6)

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Sure thing! Well trust me, 9 wins in a row is pretty tough; I couldn't do it =X (lost at 6)

lol I don't doubt that. I never made it past the first last year. :) All I am saying is that out of 700+ players, it seems unfair that you only have to play 9. Of course, considering the matches get progressively harder and the last 4 are the best of the bunch, I guess it does make sense. :)

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Anyone know how the Dallas tourney went? I am so nervous. I'm up in two weeks and I am still not done with my team. Arceus help me....

Anyone know how the Dallas tourney went? I am so nervous. I'm up in two weeks and I am still not done with my team. Arceus help me....

Same here, I've changed 3/4 of the Pokemon on my team. =X I'm really wanting to battle someone who placed really well in Regionals, even top 16. Anyone wanna let me see how I fair against them?

BadIntent

MSankey
What happens if there are that many people? They're not going to do a lottery are they?

Oh, and how long before registration would you suggest being there by?

Well I hear both Dallas and Birmingham (UK) filled up today. It's supposedly a first come, first serve event so I'm guessing the 769th and 257th (UK) people and forward were simply not allowed to compete. At each event I got there around 8AM. There were like 30 people there max at all three. Line's didn't get really long till like 11 AM. I'm guessing that's when it will start getting close to full in Newark.

Well apparently some guys without Smogon, Serebii, or Skarmbliss accounts filled up most of the top 8 in UK and Dallas. But there was this guy who had Hippowdon/Solrock/Regirock/Tyranitar and got top 8 and someone else that got top 16 with a Delibird in their lead. So, yeah don't know what to say about that... Newark will be infinitely tougher. A crapload of strong players will be there.

I hope TR Jessie did good =| The last year's winner only got to round 4 and lost to someone using Kyogre/Hitmontop/Giratina/Abomasnow. Apparently the winner of the entire tournament used that team (though Giratina might have been swapped for Palkia, not sure yet). Zerowing strikes yet again!

Last edited:

DBK

Renegade Trainer
1) Well I hear both Dallas and Birmingham (UK) filled up today. It's supposedly a first come, first serve event so I'm guessing the 769th and 257th (UK) people and forward were simply not allowed to compete. At each event I got there around 8AM. There were like 30 people there max at all three. Line's didn't get really long till like 11 AM. I'm guessing that's when it will start getting close to full in Newark.

2) Well apparently some guys without Smogon, Serebii, or Skarmbliss accounts filled up most of the top 8 in UK and Dallas. But there was this guy who had Hippowdon/Solrock/Regirock/Tyranitar and got top 8 and someone else that got top 16 with a Delibird in their lead. So, yeah don't know what to say about that... Newark will be infinitely tougher. A crapload of strong players will be there.

1) lol if it's like last year, it's gonna start getting full earlier than that. :)

2) (in bold) Your not helping. :(