• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 10 Discussion Thread

BadIntent

MSankey
Ah...hehe...Didn't do as well as I thought I would. Out in the second, unfortunately. My fault, though. I doubted my strategy and deviated from it unnecessarily. Oh well. It sucks that several ducks made it to the end, but at least it was nice watching them eliminate each other (nothing personal, but if you are not an onion head, then you are an enemy).

I am tempted to go to the LCQ, but my wallet says no. Of course, if anyone here who is going to the nats or the LCQ, and want to travel together and split the costs, then I might consider going (yeah right, like that's gonna happen). :)

Also, why in the hell was a fat **** dressed up (in a way to small costume) as Jessie from Team Rocket? And it was a dude, no less. I mean there was more skin than costume....urk....(I just threw up in my mouth)....

Oh well, it was fun. Around 800 registered and participated, but I think almost a grand showed up. Not a bad turn out.

On a side note: Does anyone want a *coughbadluckcough* Serebii shirt?

edit: aspitfire, where were you? I looked all over and didn't see you. How did you do? And did you know that people were there since 5am? That's nuts *looks at BI*.

Damn, tough tournament. It's good that you were even able to get in though and even better that you at least had fun. Well considering I live one the opposite side of the country, I can't really travel with you. But I do know some people over on skarmbliss looking to carpool over to Indy.

Haha, yeah I'd have been one of those guys there at 5AM. Guess this was the one to fill up, meaning some people didn't get to compete. First 768 is so much better than a random 128 no matter how you slice it though.

I had been there since 7:20 AM, I looked everywhere for you but couldn't find you. What time did you get there? Although I wouldn't even say that I really even got to compete. My brother and I were paired up in the first round, and he knew everything I was going to do and when I was going to do it. He snuck a peek at my team registration sheet and knew everything about my team. It's hard to battle someone who knows your pokemon's movesets, natures, stats, and hold items. Especially when you have no clue what they have, or what their strategy is. It just really bothers me that he'd do something like that to me, I mean he knew that this was a big deal to me and that I had been wanting to go since last year, and he wasn't even going to go until he found out that one of his friends was going with me.

The battle seemed a little odd when we first started, because he's never been much for battling and focuses on contests in the games instead. Because of that he doesn't like to battle me because he loses horribly, yet when I battled him today he had a counter for every move I used. Like if I didn't know better, I would've thought that he was psychic. At that time I didn't know that he had seen my team sheet or anything, and cheered him on until he finally lost in the fourth round because I figured he had just been practicing a lot.

Then while I was outside with the people we had gone with, they asked me how I lost against him and that's when I found out that he had pretty much cheated against me because he was afraid that he would lose against me otherwise. After I found that out, we just left. I felt as though I was betrayed by my own brother, and I just wanted to get home ASAP. We ended up leaving about the time that the first person made their way to the Finalist Lounge. Like I was so upset that he did that, that we got into a huge fight, and I wound up having to have one of my friends drive my car for a few hours until I calmed down enough to drive the rest of the way.

Anyway, other than that, I got a lot of pictures and that shiny Eevee. I also met a few cool people, and the rest of the trip; besides what I mentioned above went really well. I actually got a picture with who we called "Team Rocket Tranny." lol I wanted my friends at home to see him 'cause I knew they wouldn't beleive it otherwise. But yeah, if you get up close it's not actually real skin, it's a cloth outfit. So that's a relief.

That's messed up, man. Worst part of it is, if you were able to follow the events of the previous five Regionals, you would have known that you can just ask the judges to get paired up with someone else. They split up the ducks at each regional since they asked. They do the same for all friends.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
aspitfire90 said:
I had been there since 7:20 AM, I looked everywhere for you but couldn't find you. What time did you get there? Although I wouldn't even say that I really even got to compete. My brother and I were paired up in the first round, and he knew everything I was going to do and when I was going to do it. He snuck a peek at my team registration sheet and knew everything about my team. It's hard to battle someone who knows your pokemon's movesets, natures, stats, and hold items. Especially when you have no clue what they have, or what their strategy is. It just really bothers me that he'd do something like that to me, I mean he knew that this was a big deal to me and that I had been wanting to go since last year, and he wasn't even going to go until he found out that one of his friends was going with me.

The battle seemed a little odd when we first started, because he's never been much for battling and focuses on contests in the games instead. Because of that he doesn't like to battle me because he loses horribly, yet when I battled him today he had a counter for every move I used. Like if I didn't know better, I would've thought that he was psychic. At that time I didn't know that he had seen my team sheet or anything, and cheered him on until he finally lost in the fourth round because I figured he had just been practicing a lot.

Then while I was outside with the people we had gone with, they asked me how I lost against him and that's when I found out that he had pretty much cheated against me because he was afraid that he would lose against me otherwise. After I found that out, we just left. I felt as though I was betrayed by my own brother, and I just wanted to get home ASAP. We ended up leaving about the time that the first person made their way to the Finalist Lounge. Like I was so upset that he did that, that we got into a huge fight, and I wound up having to have one of my friends drive my car for a few hours until I calmed down enough to drive the rest of the way.

Anyway, other than that, I got a lot of pictures and that shiny Eevee. I also met a few cool people, and the rest of the trip; besides what I mentioned above went really well. I actually got a picture with who we called "Team Rocket Tranny." lol I wanted my friends at home to see him 'cause I knew they wouldn't beleive it otherwise. But yeah, if you get up close it's not actually real skin, it's a cloth outfit. So that's a relief.

I got there at 10am. That explains why we couldn't find each other. I was outside while you were inside. And by the time I registered, you already left, since by the time I battled, there were already two people in the finalist lounge. Oh well, next year.

I was wearing my green Serebii shirt, too. lol That got me a few dirty looks from that group of Ducks (I was actually behind them on the line).

That was f'ed up what your brother did. You should have dragged him to the bathroom and delivered the mother of all swirlies. :)

lol Fake skin or not, no one that size should ever, EVER dress up like that. What the hell compelled him to dress up like her anyway?

lol I got TWO eevees, hehe :) I brought both HG and SS. Used HG for the tourney, used SS for the extra eevee. I am glad they went wireless with it this year. The way they did it last year was a pain.

Did you play Rumble or TGC? I was going to play Rumble, but the crowd there was too big for my liking.

Oh yeah, I had a rematch against the guy that beat me and, surprise surprise, I won. That made me feel worse. I also managed to battle the guy that he lost too and beat him as well. I really need to trust my strategy. What suck is that the match I lost was the only one I lost the entire day. I had dozens of battles before I registered and a dozen more after I lost. Hence the temptation to attend the Last Chance Qualifier. You should go to that too, seeing how close you are to it.

Damn, tough tournament. It's good that you were even able to get in though and even better that you at least had fun. Well considering I live one the opposite side of the country, I can't really travel with you. But I do know some people over on skarmbliss looking to carpool over to Indy.

Haha, yeah I'd have been one of those guys there at 5AM. Guess this was the one to fill up, meaning some people didn't get to compete. First 768 is so much better than a random 128 no matter how you slice it though.

Any one of those guys happen to have Serebii accounts and live around Jersey?

Yeah being open to the public was great. Although that resulted in a hell of a lot of finalists. :)

TerraWolf

Banned
I saw someone in a Cobra Starship shirt and skinny jeans, so I think it was Aspit. I was there in a Volcom shirt.

The Jessie guy was odd. While I was there I heard something about Serebii Joe being at the Birmingham, GB one.

But I lost first round to someone who lost in the second round. Oh well. There is always next year. I'm gonna come back bigger abd harder next time, make it to the 4th round this time at least.

Last edited:
That's messed up, man. Worst part of it is, if you were able to follow the events of the previous five Regionals, you would have known that you can just ask the judges to get paired up with someone else. They split up the ducks at each regional since they asked. They do the same for all friends.

Yeah, I didn't know that he had done that before hand anyway. So it didn't seem like I would've had to anyway. Like he was fine battling me this time, and when he won I thought he had just done a really good job. It wasn't 'till after I talked with other's in our group about my loss, that I found out that he had done that. Like if I had known that he knew my team and stuff, I would've asked for another opponent in a heart beat. It's just not really a fair match up.

@ DBK

Yeah, I should've probably given you my cell phone number or something so you could've texted or called me and we could've planned when to meet each other and stuff. Oh, and the last chance qualifier is only four hours away from my house, so it might be possible to go if I can get enough money by then.

About the Jesse thing, I know what you mean. lol No one who's that big should ever wear something like that.

@ pkmner

That was probably me. lol Did that guy you saw look like this?

32204_406631134067_536339067_419591.jpg

DBK

Renegade Trainer
;) Yessir. Atlanta. My R5 battle.

man oh man. they need to make the whole "If you get paired with your buds we'll let you pick somebody else" thing more known. They let me do that in literally EVERY round (7 of them)

lol :cool:

The funny thing is, when it was our turn to go up (me and the guys I was in line with), we were asked if we were in a group and if we wanted to be separated. They asked the group ahead of us, too. And when I moved on to the second round, I was asked again. So they were trying. But considering how many participated, can you really blame them if they missed a few? And in all honesty, we should be the one telling them, they shouldn't have to ask us. But that's just me.

OH most definitely. They asked us about our group R1 but I had to say, hey that's my bud, or hey that's a guy I battle online like every day (lol) and they let us separate each time.

pkmaniac Nani

Pokemon researcher
I don't know if anyone already asked about this, if anyone did, i'm sorry.
I have some questions about the hacking detecting system and about how it works... The most important thing that I have to know is: if I used hacks for anything in the game that does not involve the pokemon that I'll use in the party at the VGC, will I be desqualified?

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Yeah. They scan your entire game, not just your party. I heard that someone got dq'ed for having too many master balls. So if you have more of a particular item then you are supposed to or have an item that you shouldn't have yet, then your screwed. Try to keep everything to within legal limits. Of course, trying not to hack in the first place would be better. :)

Also make sure your EVs are not higher then 510.

If you want to see if you pass the hack check or not, at least team wise, have a wifi battle with your team. Afterwords, try to record the battle via the vs recorder. If you can, and it records the battle, then you passed it's hack check. If that's the case, then you will pass the hack check at the VGCs.

Of course, not hacking helps, too.

Last edited:

pkmaniac Nani

Pokemon researcher
thanks alot :D

It's just that... I've started to evolve my pokemon (in competitive ways) not a long time ago... and training EVs and to lvl 100 takes a while :s All I wanted was to speed up things a little bit so I can start having battles... Any advice besides patience? xD

peace!

DBK

Renegade Trainer
Power items and Pokerus are your best friends. The cut the time it takes to train in half if not more.

OMGZGAIZ!!! =0

Like less than 3 days till I leave for the National Championship!! =0

BI it's aaaaaaaaawn!~!!!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!1

BadIntent

MSankey
c:

mattj, BadIntent, BlueCookies all in nationals. All in the same hotel. Indianapolis is not ready for us.

Skarmbliss shall prevail.

100_0155-1.jpg

Last edited:

Yeti

Banned
skarmbliss is noob.

iirc you guys did... nothing?? no top 4 appearances? or maybe you did and nobody cared.

drcossak didn't even show up to any events. people are starting to think he's bedridden but maybe he just didn't want his tourney record tarnished when he lost r1. lolol.

in any case i honestly don't remember when nationals is it's next week i think i had something funner and more important to fly off to so no nationals for me! C:

have fun kids, whoever's all going to it.

good to see there's more activity for VGC on sppf since this site kind of lacks motivation for comp battles.

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
Today is Last Chance Qualifier in Indianapolis for the SPPFers here that really care. This VGC topic is mostly dominated by us smogoners as we have 100 times more VGC activity compared to all other forums combined which is why we dominate at these events like it or not. Tomorrow is US Nationals for those that qualified as I'm sure many of you native SPPFers would rather watch the anime instead of following up on how everybody is doing in Indianapolis.

My warstory is posted in smogon for those that want to know how I did and all as I was in Newark few weeks ago.

randomspot555

I decided not to go to VGC Last Chance because of real-life stuck coming up this week. Also, my team sucked, but...

Apparently registration started at 8 and even though the site had time running up to 1pm, I've heard it ended all within an hour.

Did anyone actually go to it? What was the turnout like?