• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 2011 Discussion Thread (Check the OP for News and Updates as they come)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2011 Video Game Championship Discussion (VGC 11 JPN Rules Info Announced)

NEWS:

While that may not seem like a lot of info to go off of, it's a start, and trust me, I'll edit the OP the MOMENT any more info comes in.

RESOURCES:
VGC Style Pokemon is a unique brand of battling. As such, many players who are used to Standard or Tiered play sometimes have a hard time adjusting. As such, here are a few good resources that really helped me become successful at VGC.

If you can think of any other useful links, or need links to anything else that pertains to the 2011 VGCs, just let me know.

Last edited:

Human Being

Thanks, and remember! ZekOgre is the thing to watch out for next year!

TR_Jessie

Adventure Seeker
Can't wait to see the rules for next year! I'll see if I can find something...

Human Being

I made the team for Milan Patel (previously known as PokemanMaster now known as CRITICO! on Smogon, had the second most entertaining moment of Worlds, a game winning Shadow Sneak Critical hit that showed up on the TV screen as Un golpe critico! because he was against someone from Spain). He got 14th place, lost a chance of getting into the T8 due to Sheer Cold hitting 4/4 times. That had 0.8% chance of happening! There is a big difference between Nationals/Worlds and the Regionals though. Nationals/Worlds are Swiss Rounds while Regionals is single elimination, so you need ONE strong team for Regionals/LCQ while a more complex team for Nationals/Worlds. At Worlds teams that can work in TR and have TR as well as work outside of TR were doing great this year though. You need to realize that we have no idea how it will work next year though, so we can not make decisions yet.

Human Being

hey im already training for triple battles and im psyched for VGC 11!

Honestly it is much more likely to be doubles than triples for next year. Also you can not train for triple battles already and we do not really know anything about BW. So that isn't really the best thing to do already.

Jegretis

<---My fave PKMN
I am actually hoping for triple battles format. Or maybe rotation battles. I am not sure, but for some reason, I keep thinking they are going to use triple battle format for the tournament. Also, another thing that I noticed is that the Japanese players get a longer time to prepare for the tournament,lol.

Nice to meet you Jegretis!

Yeah, unfortunately you do have a point there about the Japanese. It's kind of unfair that they get such a headstart. But at the same time, that can actually be used to our advantage too. Because of the internet, we can pretty much know the rules, and even some of the metagame before even the US rules/dates/locations are released just by watching them and seeing what works for them. Plus, thanks to playasia.com we can order the Japanese Version when it comes out so we can get just as much of a headstart too (as long as you can handle following walkthroughs and translating move names using serebii and stuff).

TerraWolf

Banned
I've already got a team in planning for VGC 2011. I'm also planning to make it farther then I did in VGC 2010. Little steps though. Upgrading to use Ubers this year since I chose not to last year.

PungentFruit

Quest to be a Master
Honestly it is much more likely to be doubles than triples for next year. Also you can not train for triple battles already and we do not really know anything about BW. So that isn't really the best thing to do already.

By training i meant that i have already planned teams for next year but it was my bad for it coming out wrong. Anyway if you are in to VGC battling check out the VGC battling social group.

Last edited:

Human Being

by training i meant that i have already planned teams for next year but it was my bad for it coming out wrong. Anyway if u r in to VGC battling check out the VGC battling social group.
Personally I'm going to stick with SkarmBliss and Smogon for that. More people who are interested in the VGC frequent those sites.

Human Being

Yes, it is worldwide other than Africa, Middle East, Australia and most of Asia, unless you participate in TCG you can go to Worlds like that.

Nice to meet you HeadOverHeels!

And to answer your question, absolutely yes! There have been stops in Britain, Germany, Spain, and France the past two years. This coming season's stops won't be announced for some several months, but it's safe to assume that those stops will most likely re-occur. Click the "VGC 2010 EVENT INFORMATION" and "VGC 2009 EVENT INFORMATION" links in the OP for more information about where and when each stop in Europe was.

Human Being

I'm running a nice team like Rizzo's, but I refrain from using Trick Room. I use Cherrim and pokemon that work well to protect and abuse it at the same time.

You can not make a team already. We do not know what the 5th generation will bring to us. If it will keep the same rules as well. We honestly do not know, also sounds to me more like the team that the Juniors World Champion used.

I'm running a nice team like Rizzo's, but I refrain from using Trick Room. I use Cherrim and pokemon that work well to protect and abuse it at the same time.

You can not make a team already. We do not know what the 5th generation will bring to us. If it will keep the same rules as well. We honestly do not know, also sounds to me more like the team that the Juniors World Champion used.

Actually, that brings up a pretty good question! What do each of you think/hope the rules will be like next year?

Personally I'm hoping *plzjesusplzjesusplzjesusplzjesus* for 4XDoubles, with a "restricted list" similar to this years, just with all the new pokes. After being pretty successful at both 09 and 10's rules, I kind of like '10. :3

Actually, that brings up a pretty good question! What do each of you think/hope the rules will be like next year?

Personally I'm hoping *plzjesusplzjesusplzjesusplzjesus* for 4XDoubles, with a "restricted list" similar to this years, just with all the new pokes. After being pretty successful at both 09 and 10's rules, I kind of like '10. :3
I myself have only gotten interested during '10 VGC, but was unable to enter (line too long). Because of that, I would like a restricted list similar to the '10 one, because I'm somewhat used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.