• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 2012 Phillie tailwind doubles team

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
VGC 2012 Phillie tailwind doubles team

Hi. I'm desprite for input I'm going to the last VGC of 2012. Any suggestions are welcome, and item replacements are welcome aswell. Please help me! x3 Changes will be bolded once advice is given. Thank you again. -Emii

Latias @ leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 hp 252 sp.def 4 def
Nature: calm
- dragon pulse
- calm mind
- tailwind
- recover

One of my leads to set up tailwind, calm mind to endure more, recover hp when needed, and dragon pulse stab everything. My metagross tailwind sweeper tangos well with Latias i've found so those are my main leads, or as optional leads I use my Ferrothorn and Meinshao

Ferrothorn @ rocky helmet
Ability: iron barbs
EVs: 252 def 252 hp 4 sp.def
Nature: relaxed
- curse
- protect
- power whip
- gyro ball

My other optional lead to take out rain teams, trick room teams(if mienshaos taunt wears off), sandstorm teams, etc. He hits hard with stab gyro ball or power whip after one or two curses or none at all. Protect buys a turn with fire types on the field.

Zapdos @ ice gem
Ability: pressure
EVs: 252 speed 252 sp.atk 4 hp
Nature: timid
- Thunderbolt
- heat wave
- hidden power(ice 70)
- tailwind

Another tailwind sweeper/tailwinder, he can use stab thunderbolt, heatwave, or hp ice with an extra boost from the ice gem.

Metagross @ Life orb
Ability: clear body
EVs: 252 speed 252 atk 4 hp
Nature: adament
- ice punch
- protect
- earthquake
- metor mash

My tailwind lead sweeper metagross comes out to play when their is my levitating latias lead so he can earthquake everything, ice punch when needed, or metor mash at will. Protect helps him if there is a fire type on the field and their isn't a tailwind up yet.

Entei @ fire gem
Ability: pressure
EVs: 252 hp 252 atk 4 def
Nature: adament
- flare blitz
- protect
- stone edge
- extreme speed

Another tailwind sweeper/sun team counter, he can use stab flare blitz with a fire gem one turn to devistate the opponent, stone edge to rip a hole in foe fire types, or extreme speed to pick off weaker foes.

Mienshao @ wide lens
Ability: regenerator
EVs: 252 speed 252 atk 4 hp
Nature: naive
- fake out
- hi jump kick
- stone edge
- U-turn

My fake out optional lead that usually tangos with my ferrothorn, he can use stab hi jump kick or stone edge power without worrying about bad accuaracy because of wide lens. Fake out helps ferrothorn set up a curse while the opponent flinches. U-turn restores his HP on the swap and helps him against psychic types.

Last edited:

drizzleboy12

OK over Entei I suggest an Arcanine. here is a good set

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Trait: intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd 252 Att 4 HP
Adamant nature
-Wild charge
-Flare blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Protect

Its better than entei because you also get intimidate support. And I think over taunt on mienshao you should have U-turn. It would be good againced psychic types. And on zapdos over detect I suggest tailwind.

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
OK over Entei I suggest an Arcanine. here is a good set

Arcanine @ Life Orb
Trait: intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd 252 Att 4 HP
Adamant nature
-Wild charge
-Flare blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Protect

Its better than entei because you also get intimidate support. And I think over taunt on mienshao you should have U-turn. It would be good againced psychic types. And on zapdos over detect I suggest tailwind.

Thank you for your input, but if I replce Entei for Arcanine I would need to use it as a tank, because then I would have too much sweep not enough bulk. Do you know any bulky Arcanine sets?

I just got rid of tailwind for detect though x3 Oh well i'll reteach Zapdos tailwind on W2

Mienshao originally had U-turn, but taunt isn't working out well anyway so i'll reteach him U-turn

Thx again ;3

drizzleboy12

Thank you for your input, but if I replce Entei for Arcanine I would need to use it as a tank, because then I would have too much sweep not enough bulk. Do you know any bulky Arcanine sets?

I just got rid of tailwind for detect though x3 Oh well i'll reteach Zapdos tailwind on W2

Mienshao originally had U-turn, but taunt isn't working out well anyway so i'll reteach him U-turn

Thx again ;3

OK here is the set I thought of

Arcanine @ Fire Gem/ Passho Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP 148 SpD 32 SpA 176 Spd
Calm nature
-Heat wave
-Moonlight
-Hidden Power Fighting/Grass/Ice
-Sunny Day

This set lets you survive a draceo meteor dragon gem from a timid latios. This set is also a counter to drizzle teams by having sunny day. You can survive a modest life orb kindras muddy water in the rain only with a passho berry which might be helpful. Or have a fire gem to KO Metagross without occa berry and to KO scizor with an occa berry.

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
OK here is the set I thought of

Arcanine @ Fire Gem/ Passho Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP 148 SpD 32 SpA 176 Spd
Calm nature
-Heat wave
-Moonlight
-Hidden Power Fighting/Grass/Ice
-Sunny Day

This set lets you survive a draceo meteor dragon gem from a timid latios. This set is also a counter to drizzle teams by having sunny day. You can survive a modest life orb kindras muddy water in the rain only with a passho berry which might be helpful. Or have a fire gem to KO Metagross without occa berry and to KO scizor with an occa berry.

Thank you. I'll definatly try it out, but Arcanine don't learn Moonlight, they learn Morning sun. Does that effect the set at all?

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
Oops. But no it doesn't effect the set because it does the same thing.

Ok thank you so much again. I'm about to RNG the growlithe atm. Btw Would a more physical oriented set work well aswell like 32 in atk instead and crunch inplace of hp and flare blitz in place of heat wave? Plus I have 4 physical attackers if I make aracanine physical although aracanine has a higher physical atk stat. Maybe making his set mixed like having crunch(to counter cress) and heatwave. What do you think would be best; mixed, physical, or special?

drizzleboy12

Ok thank you so much again. I'm about to RNG the growlithe atm. Btw Would a more physical oriented set work well aswell like 32 in atk instead and crunch inplace of hp and flare blitz in place of heat wave? Plus I have 4 physical attackers if I make aracanine physical although aracanine has a higher physical atk stat. Maybe making his set mixed like having crunch(to counter cress) and heatwave. What do you think would be best; mixed, physical, or special?

The only reason why I did a spiecal attacker is because I didn't want to have flare blitz. Flare blitz takes out your health so it won't be good on a defensive set. Also close combat wouldn't be good on a defensive set. But mixed attacker is a good idea just not sure what nature to give it:/ Also later I can test this set out on PO to see which one is the best