• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 2012 Regionals Team

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
This is the team I used for the unofficial state championships. It did well enough to earn fourth, but I know it can be better, and it needs to be better for the regional championships.

635.png

Hydeigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Oh, how I love this three headed dragon. I never liked the idea of using a Choice Scarf (or any choice item for that matter) in doubles, but I see now how wonderful it is. Outspeeding nearly everything, he take out at least one Pokémon on his own; often times more. All of his attacks provide good coverage (the two Pulses providing STAB), but the key move is Surf: Surf allows Jellicent to last a little longer, possibly enough to win.

Spr_5b_593_m.png

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Protect
- Scald
- Hex
- Energy Ball

The main strategy for Jellicent is staying alive and burning things. Then, after burning, using Hex for more damage than Shadow Ball. Energy Ball is for extra coverage, and Protect for scouting and Leftovers recovery. Assuming he can stay alive as long as I need him to, Leftovers should provide good recovery. Water Absorb is for extra recovery for when I use Surf with Hydreigon.
With a base Speed of 60, I'm not sure if the 44 points is worth anything. Perhaps I should switch these to one of the defenses?

Spr_5b_640_s.png

Virizion @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Justified
Nature: Timid
- Protect
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Not my best Pokémon, but far from my worst. Giga Drain provides good coverage with STAB, while also healing her a bit. Focus Blast is the only special Fighting move she can learn, as has worked surprisingly well for me. Hidden Power hits common Pokémon like Garchomp hard. Assuming they don't have a Yache Berry. Protect is practically required for every Pokémon in doubles, allowing them to survive key attacks that would otherwise cost you the game. This is why she, and every other Pokémon I have with it, has it. With her high Special Defense, a Sitrus Berry should allow her to survive a bit longer, but only if the attacks she's taking are special.

620.png

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- U-turn

Perhaps not the best ability in doubles. I've been seeing a lot of flinching lately, and Regenerator hasn't been doing its job. Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain another Mienshao just for Inner Focus, so either I make do with her or use a different Pokémon.
Wide Guard is risking, but the benefits are wonderful. Both Pokémon surviving common attacks such as Earthquake and Rock Slide without the other using Protect could be all that's needed to win. Fake Out will flinch one of my opponents, but lately it hasn't seemed very useful. Drain Punch is more accurate than Hi Jump Kick, and also heals me. Possibly giving me another chance to use my Focus Sash in the event I survive and attack without activating it. U-turn allows me to attack and switch at the same time, and also healing her a bit. Switching is normally not a good thing in doubles, but U-turn and Volt Switch are the exceptions.

Spr_5b_596.png

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Modest
- Thunder
- Electroweb
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball

This is my weakest Pokémon, and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I have nothing to replace her with. She's too slow to KO anything before she's KOed, too fast to counter Trick Room, and too frail to make use of Electroweb. Compound Eyes Thunder is nice, though.
If it wasn't for her frailty, Electroweb would slow down both opponents, allowing the rest of my team to sweep. The rest is for coverage. Life Orb provides a bit more damage.

Spr_5b_149.png

Dragonite @ Expert Belt/Muscle Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP, 44 Atk, 212 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Protect
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Perhaps not the best set, but it worked well. Dragon Claw is a good STAB move, and Fire Punch and Earthquake provide coverage. Multiscale is really great ability, allowing her to survive any attack at full HP. Unfortunately, I have no means of healing her... I could go with Roost, which I did have on her, but it's too risky. Protect is a much better option. At least in doubles it is.
I'm having a hard time deciding what item to give her. Since VGC uses Item Clause, my options are limited. I decided to go with an Expert Belt, but never had a chance to use any super effective attacks. When I switch to a Muscle Band, I did. Muscle Band may not provide much of a boost, but it does provide one without locking her into an attack or hurting her.

The only thing I really fear is Trick Room. I have nothing to counter it. Also, my team is weaker to Ice than I'd like. Replacing Galvantula with something that can take an Ice attack may be the best option, but I have no ideas on what to switch her with.

Last edited:

365pokemon

The only situation that hex is more powerful than shadow in is when you have burned something with scald. This means that 70% of the time, your ghost STAB move is weaker than it could be. I would replace hex with shadow ball.
Also, can you provide a reason for why you placed fourth instead of first? Any threats?

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
That is a good point, but Hex had been doing surprisingly well for me.

The only person I lost against wasn't using the team she normally uses. I remember she lead with an Intimidate Hitmontop, which my Dragonite didn't like, and a Choice Scarf Chandelure.

Pokemonpal7

Jungle Ninja
WOw! By fourth, do you mean fourth round or fourth place (for Hawaii?)
Back on topic, I think your Hydreigon's item good go to better use as Choice Specs over Choice Scarf. I used a similar set to this, and the exact same EV spread, and my Hydreigon always outsped other pokemon without any Speed boosting. Maybe I was just lucky.
I agree that your Speed EVs are wasted, so I think that they would go to more use in Sp.Defense on Jellicent.
My next (and probably final) comment is on your Galvantula. If you really want an Electric type that can counter Trick Room teams, a Lanturn would be useful. It has a defensive typing, and brilliant HP base stats. It may not look like a great attacker, but it can deal good damage if you went for this sort of set:

Lanturn @ Choice Specs / Iron Ball
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Signal Beam
- Thunder / Scald / *Ice Beam*
This pokemon can hold its own against a Trick Room team, and it can use STAB ELectric and Water moves. Iron Ball is a great item to use to counter Trick Room teams, but for maximum offense, go for Choice Specs. Ice Beam gives you coverage against the two types Lanturn is weak to, Grass and Ground, and Signal Beam can be used against Psychic types on a TR Team and again on Grass types. Volt Switch is a decent move to get out of there quickly while dealing damage. There's probably a lot more it can do, but I've probably forgotten it.

I hope you like this rate, as it is my first :)

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
I won fourth place at the Utah State Championships.

Laturn could be what I need, being both Electric and resistant to Ice. I'm not sure about the item or Hydro Pump. Still, I'll test Lanturn out and see what it can do! Thanks!