• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 2012 Team (2)

*Kyurem*

I'm preparing a team of Pokemon to compete in the Spring VGC Regionals. This is what I have come up with so far. I think it's an okay VGC team, I've tested it on Pokemon Online, too! But I'm here to have you guys judge me and give me some nice ideas.

Spr_5b2_445_m_s.png

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Garchomp is a good attacker all around, especially in a Sandstorm. But what is special about Garchomp is that it doesn't need a Sandstorm to thrive like other Pokemon.

Spr_5b_376.png

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Metagross is an odd, yet great addition to the team because of his defenses and offensives. It can 2HKO most Pokes with Meteor Mash which is not bad. Trick is always there to switch out the Scarf for something better as well as stop the opponent in their tracks if done the right way.

Spr_5b_642.png

Thundurus @ Electric Gem
Ability: Prankster
EV's: 128 HP/252 Sp Atk/128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Grass Knot
- Thunder Wave

Thundurus is great for slowing down other team members of the opponent. Thunderbolt + the Electric Gem pwns almost every Pokemon that isn't too high in special defense. Grass Knot is for Ground types and Rock Types that are difficult for a Thundurus to take down. Of course, Hidden Power Ice is for Dragon types, Thundurus, and Landorus.

Spr_5b_248.png

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 Atk/124 Spd/124 Def/4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Protect
- Crunch
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar is mainly for bringing up Sandstorm. Its moveset is just another Tyrantiar example and is really nothing out of the ordinary.

Spr_5b_423.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EV's: 252 Sp Atk/124 Spd/124 HP/8 Sp Def
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power (Electric)

Gastrodon is to protect against rain teams. It is a dangerous Pokemon if used correctly. Hidden Power Electric is definitely good against Politoad and other Water Types. Icy Wind lowers the speed of other Pokemon and is very effective on Dragon Types.

Spr_5b_103.png

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EV's: 124 HP/252 Sp Atk/124 Sp Def
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Power Swap

Exeggutor + Harvest is one of the best combos out there when it comes to lower tier Pokemon. Leaf Storm and Power Swap also lowers the other Pokemon's Sp. Atk. so I can have a bit of defense on my side. Psyshock OHKO's Hitmontops and most Fighting types in general. Protect is for if I am still below Sitrus Berry's recovery section of the HP bar so I can restore more HP easily.

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Well, it is only 50% with no sun for the berry to come back.
Also, I think that HP flying would be nice on thundurus. And I think that you don't need icy wind for gastro because you already have spead control. Use a ice beam instead! Have you tried making some custom EVs for the Pokemon so they can live specific things? That can make the synergy a lot stronger sometimes!

*Kyurem*

Well, it is only 50% with no sun for the berry to come back.
Also, I think that HP flying would be nice on thundurus. And I think that you don't need icy wind for gastro because you already have spead control. Use a ice beam instead! Have you tried making some custom EVs for the Pokemon so they can live specific things? That can make the synergy a lot stronger sometimes!

I didn't know Harvest only had 50% without sun. Maybe I could change this into a sun team somehow...

joej m

Club Double Trouble
Well then you would need to change a ton of the team because almost everything else works great on a sand team.

Atrocious

The EVs for half this team is well...awful. Thundurus lays in the 101 Speed Tier which is important allowing it to outspeed 100 Base Speed Pokemon like Salamence, etc so 4/252/252 Jolly. Exe is no good since like what, RBY/GSC days outside of sun? HP Electric will do a pretty measly amount to other waters coming from Gastro especially Politoed as it runs a SpD bulky variant or Scarf variant almost all the time. I'd put Toxic in that spot.

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
The EVs for half this team is well...awful.

Sadly true.... I'm at school right now but you can check Smogon for some good spreads. They can be used, or they can be used as a basis for your own sets.

I find myself recommending Reuniclus a lot for Sand teams and it can serve as a nice Exe replacement.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Magic Guard is what makes Reuniclus such a beast (although I am looking into a Regenerator set). Calm Mind boosts both Special stats, hence the lack of EVs there. The EVs are for bulk so you can get set up because come on, Reuniclus is MOLASSES. Recover keeps you in the game and Psyshock and Focus Blast enjoy free Life Orb boosts and let Reuniclus punch through most walls. You set up perfectly on Chansey, for example, who is easily OHKOed by a +6 Psyshock if the Chansey is stupid enough to let you get that far (which has happened to me, strangely). Focus Blast hits the physically-defensive and Psyshock wrecks the specially-defensive while also getting STAB and having reliable accuracy. It also takes no Sandstorm damage, Hazard damage, Status damage, Life Orb damage....

philzone

Ready for trumpets
Exe swap could be for cresselia
Cresselia @ sitrus berry
Sassy/calm
252 hp 252 spdef 4 def
-Psychic/psyshock
-Ice beam/icy wind
-Helping hand
-Trick room/screens/swagger

This is quite useful. Psychic Is staple here, but psyshock That pain which is hitmontop. ice beam is for landorus and chomp, but icy wind is devistating on non trick room teams, especially chomp. Helping hand lets allys destroy like there is no tomorrow, especially with earthquake. Since most of your team is slow, TR is useful, for outspeeding foes under TR (Then don't use Icy wind) Screens are useful for defence. Swagger can be useful, if a ally has a lum berry (garchomp or metagross).

HP electric isn't necessery on gastrodon. suggest running a Special tank set like this:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EV's: 252 hp, 252 sp def, 4 sp att
Calm/sassy Nature
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind/ice beam
- Recover

This set allows you to tank foes. i have used a similar set against a few politoed, and it always wins. recover for a longer lasting pokemon. ice beam could be better, as a TR team may do better.

Give thundurus taunt for stopping support pokemon.

drizzleboy12

I suggest running 244 HP 28 Def and 236 SpD on exagutter lets him tank a draco meteor dragon gem from a timid latios and a crunch from a max attack tyranitar

Also for gastridon I suggest this set
Gastrodon @ Leftovers/Rindo berry/Sitrus berry
EVs: 252 HP 20 Def 100 SpA 136 SpD
Quiet nature
-Muddy Water
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Protect

He can tank a close combat fighting gem from a hitmontop, a draco meteor dragon gem from timid latios, and HP (grass) From any non-stab pokemon.

Also for thundurus I suggest running 252 Spd and 252 SpA and a timid nature btw I might suggest using zapdos over thundurus if you wanna hit harder because zapdos has a better movepool.

Also run 252 HP 252 Atk for tyranitar

Last edited: