• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC 2012 Team

*Kyurem*

I'm preparing a team of Pokemon to compete in the Spring VGC Regionals. This is what I have come up with so far. I think it's a pretty well-rounded VGC team, I've tested it on Pokemon Online, too! But I'm here to have you guys judge me and give me some nice ideas.

Spr_5b_038.png

Pabu (Ninetails) (M) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Pain Split
- Flamethrower
- Solarbeam
- Protect

Pabu is my weather Pokemon. I normally use Pabu when there is other weather out on the field or in collaboration with Red (Read on to see Red). Pabu's Flamethrower is to make use of the Drought and STAB of course. Solarbeam is to KO Water-types and 2HKO Jellicents. Pain Split is a recovery move for Ninetails introduced by the move tutor in B2W2 and what a move it is! It is very useful for making a quick recovery and then to KO certain Pokemon. Protect is there to Protect me from Fake Out, Iris (Read below to see Iris) and other Pokemon's Earthquake. It is also there to protect from Rock Slide so my other Pokemon can KO whatever is using it. I felt Wise Glasses would be an appropriate choice because of the Sp Atk boost and because Life Orb seemed like it should of been given to Alder (Read on to see Alder)

Spr_5b_612.png

Iris (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 Spd / 12 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dual Chop
- X-Scissor

Iris is definitely my offensive boost on this team. I will normally use Iris first along with Steven (Read on to see Steven) because I can use Earthquake while he's on the field. Earthquake is mainly for Excadrill and other Rock-types, Rock Slide is for getting rid of Zapdos and other annoying Flying and Fire-types. I chose Dual Chop over Dragon Claw and Outrage because I can KO Pokemon with a Focus Sash with it because it hits twice. X-Scissor is for Cresselia, Renucleus, Latios and other Psychic, Dark, or Grass-types. The Choice Scarf was chosen over the Choice Band because it allows me to outspeed Latios, other Haxorus, and Dragonite.

Spr_5b_003_m.png

Red (Venusaur) (M) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 244 Spd / 12 HP
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Solarbeam

Red is a HUGE powerhouse on my team because he is both offensive and somewhat defensive. Sleep Powder has a nice 85% accuracy with the Wide Lens, making it even deadlier! Sleep Powder is the main move I go for first because it can put their Pokemon to sleep while my second Pokemon KO the foe's other Pokemon. Sludge Bomb is there to KO Serperiors and it's there for when I'm facing a Flying or Fire-type. Hidden Power will make use of Pabu's Drought and to KO Ferrothorn as well as other Steel-types such as Excadrill. Solarbeam also makes use of Drought and STAB, but unfortunately can only be useful in the sun.

Spr_5b_350_f.png

Cynthia (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 124 Def / 252 Sp Atk / 124 Sp Def
Calm Nature
- Hidden Power (Fire)
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover

Cynthia is more defensive then offensive, but is still powerful nonetheless. Hidden Power is there to use Pabu's Drought so I won't be offense-less when the Sun is out. It also helps KO Volcaronas, Serperiors, and other threatening Grass and Bug-types. Ice Beam is to KO Dragon and Flying-types obviously. Scald is for when the sun isn't out or when a foe has a Politoad with Drizzle. It is also there for the STAB. Recover is so Cynthia can restore some HP while some of my other Pokemon are doing the KOing. "Cute Charm?" You might ask. Well, actually, for a bulky Milotic it is quite useful. When she is attacked physically, it infatuates Pokemon 30% of the time, which is pretty good if she's getting beaten down on by something that's hard to KO. Leftovers are there to refill some health if Cynthia gets hurt.

Spr_5b_227.png

Steven (Skarmory) (M) @ Muscle Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock

Steven is another more defensive than offensive Pokemon on my team. He is there to take some hard hits and give some out also. Stealth Rock is there because it is the best entry hazard out there in my opinion. Iron Head is for STAB and has a 30% chance of flinching. It can also be used on Ice-types and to 2HKO the deadly Tyranitar. Rock Slide is to KO other Flying, Fire, and Ice-types and to hit two Pokemon at once. Last but not least, Brave Bird is one of the best of Steven's moves because of the STAB and power to start with. It is used to KO Fighting-types or when I'm in a tight situation. The Muscle Band is to boost it's physical offense even more.

Spr_5b_637.png

Alder (Volcarona) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Solarbeam

Alder is great in Pabu's Drought and is a magnificent Special Attacker when it comes to offense, but in defense, it isn't too great. The Life Orb is to boost the power of Alder even more, but at the cost of 10% health. Roost is to replenish after I've gone through a lot of Life Orb attacks or if my second Pokemon is doing the KOing. Fiery Dance is a Life Orb boosted, STAB boosted, Drought boosted, 50% Special Attack rising monster that destroys almost anything that it comes in contact with. Bug Buzz is Alder's secondary STAB move that also packs a punch. Solarbeam is there for Pabu's Drought and to annihilate Water-types.

drizzleboy12

For milotic I suggest transfering the defense EVs into HP.

And maybe put 252 in HP on Ninetails to make it more bulky and give it will-o-wisp.

On venisaur I suggest giving it a different Item because Wide lense only works if your pokemon is slower then the opponent your attacking. Also Give it HP (ice) because almost all your pokes have fire type moves already. And over solar beam have enregy ball because Sun never sets up well.

On volcarona I suggest either have a focus sash or take off roost and have protect.

Hope my suggestions help:)

Over haxorus maybe you should try latios because haxorus isn't as strong.

Skarmory sucks in double battle and stealth rock is almost useless in double battle also. So I suggest a metagross with this set.

Metagross @ choice scarf
EVs: 252 spd 252 Att 4 HP
Adamant nature
-rockslide
-zenheadbutt
-trick
-Meteor mash

On Volcarona either have a focus sash or take off roost and have Protect.

*Kyurem*

For milotic I suggest transfering the defense EVs into HP.

And maybe put 252 in HP on Ninetails to make it more bulky and give it will-o-wisp.

On venisaur I suggest giving it a different Item because Wide lense only works if your pokemon is slower then the opponent your attacking. Also Give it HP (ice) because almost all your pokes have fire type moves already. And over solar beam have enregy ball because Sun never sets up well.

On volcarona I suggest either have a focus sash or take off roost and have protect.

Over haxorus maybe you should try latios because haxorus isn't as strong.

Skarmory sucks in double battle and stealth rock is almost useless in double battle also. So I suggest a metagross with this set.

Metagross @ choice scarf
EVs: 252 spd 252 Att 4 HP
Adamant nature
-rockslide
-zenheadbutt
-trick
-Meteor mash

On Volcarona either have a focus sash or take off roost and have Protect.

Sound like very good suggestions... but I must correct you, you described the Zoom Lens, not the Wide Lens.

Xenevix

Some Guy
Ninetales: Fire Blast over Flamethrower any day, unless you don't like the accuracy drop.

Haxorus: Shouldn't have a scarf, instead take it off and replace it with Life Orb or a gem or something and make it a Jolly nature so that he retains his speed.

Venasuar: I reccomend replacing Solarbeam with Giga Drain just because rain is so common and if you lose your weather you can still KO Politoed. Growth is also a nice option over Sleep Powder purely because even 85% accuracy misses more than desired and if you pull off +2 to offense and the sun is up. Who do you need to put to sleep? Yours is a good set either way you decide to go is great.

Milotic: Definitely put the Defense EVs into HP. Also I reccomend Dragon tail over Hidden Power [Fire] just so you can hopefully get rid of anything that has set up on you, ex: Volcarona. Plus you already have a ton of fire moves on your team.

Skarmory: Change it to Metagross.

Volcarona: I reccomend that you change Roost for Hurricane. Sounds weird but Voolcarona is so frail Roost is obsolete especially when Krookodile and Hitmontop Rock Slide away. Again since rain is so prevalent you can take away the bigger threats such as Ludicolo and Toxicroak. Otherwise put Protect on Volcarona, possibly a Focus Sash for the item.

Overall you should look at all the Solarbeams you have on your team. 3 have it and any other weather will ruin it. You should look to fix this team as if you would have to play around other weathers. Sandstorm and Rain teams completely wall you if you don't fix it. And it doesn't take a lot to fix it so you should be okay with just a few tweaks.

*Kyurem*

Ninetales: Fire Blast over Flamethrower any day, unless you don't like the accuracy drop.

Haxorus: Shouldn't have a scarf, instead take it off and replace it with Life Orb or a gem or something and make it a Jolly nature so that he retains his speed.

Venasuar: I reccomend replacing Solarbeam with Giga Drain just because rain is so common and if you lose your weather you can still KO Politoed. Growth is also a nice option over Sleep Powder purely because even 85% accuracy misses more than desired and if you pull off +2 to offense and the sun is up. Who do you need to put to sleep? Yours is a good set either way you decide to go is great.

Milotic: Definitely put the Defense EVs into HP. Also I reccomend Dragon tail over Hidden Power [Fire] just so you can hopefully get rid of anything that has set up on you, ex: Volcarona. Plus you already have a ton of fire moves on your team.

Skarmory: Change it to Metagross.

Volcarona: I reccomend that you change Roost for Hurricane. Sounds weird but Voolcarona is so frail Roost is obsolete especially when Krookodile and Hitmontop Rock Slide away. Again since rain is so prevalent you can take away the bigger threats such as Ludicolo and Toxicroak. Otherwise put Protect on Volcarona, possibly a Focus Sash for the item.

Overall you should look at all the Solarbeams you have on your team. 3 have it and any other weather will ruin it. You should look to fix this team as if you would have to play around other weathers. Sandstorm and Rain teams completely wall you if you don't fix it. And it doesn't take a lot to fix it so you should be okay with just a few tweaks.

This is great, too! I wanted to try and keep Haxorus as Latios (As mentioned in the previous comment) hasn't worked as well. I liked Solarbeam's STAB with Venusaur as I usually just use Solarbeam (even if it is raining) and switch my other Pokemon out to Ninetails to make it sunny again, but I will give it a try. Milotic has been much better with HP ev's, so I will keep that. Hidden Power Fire has saved me in hard situations with grass types and ice types, but I will try this as well. Metagross was a much better change! Roost for Hurricane is an excellent idea! I do run into a LOT of rain teams, but more sand teams than rain... eh, doesn't matter, I will most certainly try this! I am plentiful in Solarbeams... I was thinking instead of Venusaur with Giga Drain, would Volcarona with Giga Drain be almost as good?