• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC Nationals team. Any and all advice welcomed.

Livingtime

Alrighty, Nationals is coming up and i'm getting a team ready. It's my first ever tournament of any kind in Pokemon, so i'm just hoping to have a lot of fun! Speaking of fun, this team i've created is actually pretty fun to use albeit a few problems here and there I guess. So here we go.

Mega Banette -- Banettite
Ability: Frisk/Prankster
EVs: 236 HP / 148 Def / 124
Careful Nature
-Protect
-Screech
-Disable
-Thunder Wave

The Mega of the team, I remember someone told me that Mega Banette was basically a bulkier Sableye, also I realised that Banette may have great attack but if it only gets to do a sucker punch and dies what's the point? So a disruptive mega was chosen!

It does it's job quite well actually, Thunder Wave slows everything down to a crawl which is very good in VGC. Disable basically gets me a free turn and messes up the opponent, for example disabling Smeargle's Dark Void. It is Taunt bait, however Disable can take care of that. It was pretty annoying that VGC didn't allow it Pain Split or Cotton Guard but it just makes the challenge of using it more fun!

Banette probably has the worst 4 Move Slot Syndrome i've ever seen, because I get use out of all these moves but in a 1v1 situation what can he do? Clearly there's a weakness here. To conclude, I really like Banette and I want to make it work. It is working well, it could be better I think. My personal opinion is it relies on it's team and with that said...

Machamp -- Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Dynamic Punch
-Rock Slide
-Fling
-Knock Off

Machamp! The beloved fighting type, there are very few fighting types in VGC so it's great to have a good pokemon like Machamp at my disposal. Unfortunately, there's the choice item. But it is pretty much necessary when paired up with Banette. Because banette is so frail, being slower than every one else Machamp wouldn't help Banette much. The feeling of pulling off a Screech followed by a Dynamic Punch is really good though. I find Aegislash to be a very frightful opponent so Knock Off is there for that. I'm not sure why Fling actually, I never get use out of it. I tried in one of my matches and it failed :p

Rhyperior -- Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 236 HP / 44 Atk / 228 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Megahorn
-Rock Wrecker

Beautiful Rhyperior. I remember when I first made the team the first opponent I fought was a Rhyperior and it was incredibly tough to beat! So Rhyperior works wonders with Assault Vest and Solid Rock. Rock Wrecker has also saved me a lot more than I thought it would, and the only reason I put it there was because I didn't know what else to put.

Garchomp -- Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-Iron Head
-Earthquake

So Garchomp is for coverage I suppose. In fact much of the team was built based on coverage using Eggy Emporium's team builder and Garchomp beats those dragons. I had a bulky spread because living then defeating an opposing Garchomp is better than the chance with a speed tie. But I found the speed to important for outspeeding base 100s, not sure between Earthquake or Rock Slide though.

Pyroar -- Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature
-Hidden Power Ice
-Protect
-Overheat
-Hyper Voice

I had Mienshao here before, Mienshao wasn't doing much and Aegislash was proving more problematic so I needed to find a new pokemon to cover Aegislash. My friend suggested a special because of the fact I had about 5 physicals with Mienshao there. I knew Pyroar was also the most direct counter to Aegislash so, Pyroar.

Florges -- Babiri Berry
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spa
Modest Nature
-Calm Mind
-Moonblast
-Psychic
-Protect

Florges is great! Majority of the time i've used it it has helped out a lot! It's coverage is very bad though... Calm Mind feels kind of pointless on Florges. I don't think Gardevoir could do better than Florges though. Symbiosis is also there because flower veil does nothing and on the really off chance it gets paired with Rhyperior and Rhyperior gets the assault vest knocked off... it's never going to happen but it's good to know Florges covers it!

So in conclusion, this is the team I am content with, I tried a Sky Drop Aerodactyl team prior to this but it wasn't really any good. I find this team is working, albeit tricky with prediction but that's the price for Banette I suppose. This team is also very fun to play with especially when everything goes in your favour!

Any help, even changing strategies or members would be welcomed, EV spreads should be up to par but they could have flaws. I am not sure, i've never been good at EV spreads.

Last edited: