• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

(VGC) Tricky Sands

PokeMaster366

Okay, so I might've done something to make the mods(Wolfey) hate me, so now I'm banned from there for who knows how long. In boredom, I thought I might as well talk about the team I'm using for the Wi-fi tourney in March. Before we begin with this RMT, I would like to thank Ben7000, a regular player on the Skarmbliss PO ladder, for helping this team come into existence. Please note that all pokemon in this team with a Speed-lowering nature have the minimum IVs in speed.

hippowdon.png

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Slack Off

Being a physical tank, a generally slow pokemon, and the only weather starter with a reliable form of recovery that doesn't involve Sleep status, Hippowdon was a must have for this team. The EV spread allows him to be as bulky as possible w/o giving up any offensive grit. EQ gives him a solid STAB to use while Crunch lets him hit Cresselia for SE damage. Ice Fang is there for coverage against everybody's favorite Sand Veil abuser: Cacturne...Just kidding! :p Garchomp! With how much punishment that Hippowdon takes and the fact that he's going to be working under TR often, it was a better idea to give him Slack Off over Protect. I wanted to use TTar, but with Fighting types that work well under TR and Metagross Steel types being so popular, adding TTar was a generally bad idea.

184121.jpg

Cresselia (F) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 86 SAtk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Rest
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

The Trick Room setter and literal damage sponge of the team. Thanks to Rest, Cresselia can wall attacks much longer than usual, and with the Chesto Berry, he can set up TR w/o a hitch or take her time killing off Amoonguss. Psychic and Ice Beam along with the Sp. Atk EVs let her give offensive support by damaging Fighting types and Dragons.

530.png

Excadrill (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- X-Scissor

A sweeper in the sands in case things I just need to be sneaky with Sandstorm and Trick Room. Excadrill sweeps the rest of the opponent's team on the off chance that they stall out Trick Room. Earthquake and Rock Slide are its moves of choice. X-Scissor allows it to hit pokemon like Ludicolo and Cresselia for SE damage.

hitmontop.jpg

Hitmontop (M) @ Fight Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out

The all-too-common Intimidate support of the group. Thanks to the Fight Gem, Hitmontop can 0HKO Max HP Chople Tyranitar so long as no other Intimidators butt in. Fake Out is there if I need to set up TR again with Cress. Wide Guard covers against the team's sensitivity to Heat Wave and Surf while giving Hitmontop some sort of protection against the team's own Earthquakes. Sucker Punch lets me pick off weakened pokemon.

escavalier_by_yilx-d3bg193.jpg

Escavalier (M) @ Bug Gem
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Substitute

My chief Trick Room sweeper and the only pokemon that can claim to be able to 0HKO Cresselia w/o Crit hax or outside support. Bug Gem + Megahorn let him do just that and maim anyone that tries to switch into it. Iron Head gives him a more reliable STAB to use if he can't waste the Gem for some reason. With Escavalier's movepool being more shallow than your typical person's tolerance for ignorance and trolling, I had to give him Substitute so he isn't crippled by burn all the time.

Heatran_Pok%C3%A9mon_Ranger_3.png

Heatran (M) @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Eruption
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well, well, well. If it isn't the Heatran from Oblivia w/ Eruption. The Quiet nature would normally be considered a terrible thing, but thanks to it, he's actually pretty good under TR. Eruption is the STAB of choice that imminently rapes the opposing side thanks to the Fire Gem. Earth Power and HP Ice give him much-needed coverage.​

I hope this team does well in the upcoming tournament. Please rate and give your opinions.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
I can see some bulky waters and Aqua Jet threats stepping on your toes. Although not as common, Azumarill can cause a bit of damage by avoiding your Trick Room mechanics with Aqua Jet and scoring some terrifying damage against 50% of your team. Of course, you do have Escavalier, Hitmontop and Cresselia who can take a hit and dish out on Azumarill as well.

Offensive Jellicent are also going to give you some headaches. I don't really see strong stable counters to it tbh, barring Hippowdon who won't want to eat Hydro Pump. I guess Hitmontop can outpredict it with Sucker Punch, but a misprediction means you're eating WoW.

I'm actually personally running a strange Azumarill as a counter for a team similar to yours. Because of it's own naturally low speed with a negative nature, I find great success in using Waterfall instead. That said, you can find your own trick room playing against your own common weakness. Add that azumarill has mild bulk to play with, countering it isn't a 100% sure thing. Granted, I'm struggling to make this Azumarill work anywhere else (it's pretty much on the sidelines unless a team looks like it's trick room).

But don't allow this to detour you. You can counter it with what you have. Just mark it for death the second you see anything ressembling a water type threat and you are good :p

It is a nice team all in all.

Last edited: