• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC Winter team

Thowra

The Silver Brumby
Okay, I'll admit, this team's pretty bad, mainly because I found out about the VGC 3 days before the tourny started, and prior to that I hadn't done any EV training or competitive battling, so I basically started from scratch, and just scraped together a team. (win ratio is about 30% so yeah....pretty terrible). I only had time to EV train two Pokemon unfortunately, but I just want a general opinion on how to best counter some teams that have been giving me trouble, mainly Latios.

Team:

Tyrannitar
Role: Rain support/special sweeper
Item: Chople Berry
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 200/0/0/252/52/0
Ability: Unnerve
Moves:
Rain dance
Thunder
Dark Pulse
Protect

Believe it or not, this guy is hilarious. And in one battle I had the pleasure of facing an opposing excadrill lead (presumably with sand rush). The exca got OHKOd by TTar's teamate before it could do anything XD
Unnerve TTar teams up with Volcarona well, and when faced with opposing water types, the opposing water types tend to attack the moth first as it's more fragile and is probably more dangerous. Then my TTar thunders the life out of them. Unfortunately he is also incredibly slow, and I haven't yet run across a trick room team to take advantage of that

Volcarona
Role: special sweeper
Item: brightpowder
Nature: timid
EVs: 0/0/4/252/0/0/252
Ability: Flame body
Moves:
Flamethrower
Bug Buzz
Hurricane
Quiver Dance

The only reason this guy is good is because of his beastly speed. So far, unless the opponent uses a priority move, my moth has always moved first. Fake out destroys him though.
And the brightpowder was only there because I didn't get time to grind for a focus sash. Hax, unfortunately, was never on my side. Never once did a rock slide miss >.<

Virizion
Role: mixed sweeper
Item: fighting gem
Nature: mild
EVs: not trained, EVs are everywhere
Ability: Justified
Moves:
False swipe
Swords dance
Giga Drain
Sacred Sword

Decent bulk. Unfortunately I forgot to replace false swipe with a useful move (virizion is my in game catcher pokemon, false swipe makes everything so easy to catch) when I registered, but other than that my virizion has netted a few KOs through giga drain

Excadrill
Role: none, only used as a sand team deceiver
Item: soft sand
Nature: sassy
EVs: everywhere
Ability: sand force
Moves:
Earthquake
Rapid spin
Rock slide
Swords dance

Well, his typing allows him to take some of Latios' hits, and he did manage to KO a dragonite that my virizion weakened, so yeah...not that bad

Cresselia:
Role: none, only to fill space
Item: destiny knot
Nature: quirky
EVs: 0/0/0/0/0/0 (freshly caught from wild)
Ability: Levitate
Moves:
Default moves when caught at level 68

I thought she'd be a good wall...but it wasn't so, and in the end I just stopped using her altogether as SHE was the one getting walled

Chandelure
Role: none, only to fill space
Item: none
Nature: not sure
EVs: not sure, obtained in trade
Ability: Flame body
Moves:
will o- wisp
shadow ball
flamethrower
fire blast

One of the few pokes over level 50 that I have which makes my team kind of look balanced on team preview and not just some idiot with no idea what they're doing.

My big question is: given what I have, what would be the best lead? I've been consistently using Ttar and volcarona as they're the only two pokes that are halfway useful. Unfortunately TTar is so slow, and no one uses trick room, that he often gets KOd before landing any hits (he is bulky enough to set up rain dance first without dying). My volcarona can usually manage to OHKO an enemy, but then the rest of the enemy's teammates will kill it. And once my bulky virizion falls, I'm dead :(

And any suggestions for future teams? If these guys were properly trained, would they make a good team (if I give cresselia trick room, and replace sand force exca with mold breaker exca?)