• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VGC'17 RMT: Something AV and different

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
With the IC being about 2 weeks away and my team now being complete, I have a rough idea of what my team struggles with but would like a bit more feedback regardless.

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpA / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Morning Sun

Somewhat standard Arcanine, EVs allow it to live hits such as 252+ SpAtk Specs Fini Muddy Water and 252+ Atk Garchomp double-target EQ. Flamethrower is stock standard special STAB, Will-O-Wisp is there for crippling physical attackers as well as possibly racking up residual damage on bulkier Pokemon. Roar and Morning Sun are somewhat standard tech moves, the former being mostly for anti-TR and the latter being purely for massive healing. Although Snarl would possibly work better. Mago Berry is an amazing 50% berry which usually procs and allows more life.

Celesteela @ Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 116 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Everything about this Celesteela is bound to raise eyebrows and for good reasons. The HP/SpDef EVs and the Assault Vest allow to live Jolly Specs Koko Thunderbolt in Electric Terrain whilst dealing a min of 53% back to zero-bulk variants. Flash Cannon is standard STAB, HP Ice is for Chomp and anything else which might take 4x damage from it. Fire Blast is for other Celesteela and other Fire weak Pokemon (such as the ever popular Kartana), lastly Giga Drain is for Gastrodon and possibly getting health off of Pokemon it hits for neutral after getting a +1 boost.

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Wide Guard
- Substitute

One of two Z-Crystal users on this team and for good reason as Araquanid isn't only surprisingly bulky but it also hits hard with Liquidation/Hydro Vortex despite coming off of a base 70 Atk. 36 Spe might look out of place but it is there to allow Araquanid to outrun 4 Spe Marowak-Alolan and get the kill before Marowak can do a thing. Lunge is for lowering the attack of opposing Pokemon and increasing the longevity of my own against the numerous physical attackers. Wide Guard to protect against multi-hit moves and sub is to simply be a nuisance to the opponent.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Standard SD 'Chomp and the other Z-user, EQ is amazing STAB and makes for an even better Tectonic Rage. Poison Jab is to hit the Tapus for big damage especially after a SD or two. SD and Protect do as they always do,

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast

Whimsicott, a Pokemon which has always been fairly good for support but not necessarily the best. Access to Taunt, Encore and Tailwind allows Whimsicott to be super helpful by stopping some TRs, encoring 'mons into useless moves (like encoring into Protect) and Tailwind is amazing speed control.

Togedemaru @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 212 HP / 92 SpD / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Encore
- Zing Zap

Togedemaru is another support 'mon who can hit somewhat decently with an alright attack stat (nothing amazing) combined with the ever annoying Zing Zap. Fake Out can allow Garchomp and Araquanid to potentially set up SD and Sub respectively as well as breaking potential sashes. Nuzzle is my 2nd form of speed control. Encore is something I'm debating replacing with Spiky Shield as Whimsicott also carries it.

EKZ1505

The team looks pretty good, and very nice write-up!

I really like Morning Sun on defensive Arcanine, but I do think Snarl is better if you're holding the Mago Berry. Alternatively, you could replace Roar if you feel comfortable enough with Togedemaru's Fake Out and Whimsicott's Taunt/Encore to deal with TR/setups. Ultimately it just comes down to how you play with the team.

Celesteela looks great; AV is really underrated. I would probably go with Flamethrower over Fire Blast though.

Other than that, Araquanid probably needs Protect over one of the last 2 moves, and I agree Spiky Shield may be better for Togedemaru, but mostly because Whimsicott already has Encore. Does the EV spread outspeed or live something specific?

Anything specific strategy or Pokemon give the team trouble when you play with it?

Edit: Whimsicott could also use Endeavor since it has the Sash if you want to keep Encore on Toge, or you could run Fake Tears. I've actually seen that paired up with an offensive Celesteela before to help it quickly get a Beast Boost.

Last edited:

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
I ended up following your advice and replacing Morning Sun with Snarl, sure the extra recovery was nice but overall Snarl fitted better.

Even though I've been landing most Fire Blasts, I did indeed change to Flamethrower as 20 less bp for much more pp and 100% acc sounds like a rather good trade.

Togedemaru's spread allows it to survive 252+ SpAtk Tapu Lele Shattered Psyche inside of Psychic Terrain while managing to speed tie with max speed unboosted base 90's (Pory-Z and Lilligant, really).

I find the team struggles somewhat against Rockium Z Gigalith if TR gets up and 'Chomp goes down, as well as Snorlax being somewhat annoying if not burned.
I also slightly struggle with extreme evoboost teams but I think that's more down to panicking about the amount of damage potential.

Last edited:

EKZ1505

Do you struggle to prevent TR from going up against those Gigalith and Snorlax teams? On paper it seems like you're ok, with Whimsicott and Arcanine able to shut down some strategies, Togedemaru's Fake Out to buy you a turn, and Araquanid may deter some opponents as well. Evoboost shouldn't be too bad with Roar, Tailwind, and some decent bulk on the team, but maybe you've experienced differently? The only other potential issue I see is the lack of Protect on enough Pokemon. It may make it difficult to stall out turns or get safe switch-ins, but if it fits your play-style then maybe you get by!