• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Vic Mignogna to voice an upcoming Pokemon role

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
America obviously gets unaired eps to dub. Anyone with half a brain knows that. Its called being prepared and actually if you followed Vic's Twitter you would know he is not just doing one ep. He tweeted in June he was doing Pokemon then in July tweeted he was going back to do another ep.

Well that's certainly interesting. If he's coming back, maybe it's not Ingo or Emmet, but possibly Luke?

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
A recurring character, like N will probably end up being, is unlikely. Pokémon is dubbed in New York, and Vic lives in Texas if I'm not mistaken. He just happened to be in NYC for a convention when he recorded his role.

I keep thinking that they can record voices over long distances. Liza Minelli did it for MCR, but that's MCR.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
I keep thinking that they can record voices over long distances. Liza Minelli did it for MCR, but that's MCR.
I was thinking about Sean Schemmel, who is the voice of Goku. He lives in New York, or at least has a second home there, because of all the 4Kids work he does, but when DBZ Kai started Schemmel had to go back to Texas to work with Funimation on it (kind of the opposite of Mignogna working on Pokémon, come to think of it).

So I don't think it's an option to send audio. I can't imagine why, but that's how it seems to be.

Last edited:

Mijumaru4

PASTAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Source, please?

Anyway, I'm glad that Vic Mignogna is going to be voicing a character on Pokemon. There was a thread a while back where people were tossing around names of possible voice actors who could voice Cilan in the dub, and Vic Mignogna's name was tossed around a bit. I recall a certain troll telling everyone that Vic Mignogna would never voice a character in Pokemon, but it looks like the tables have turned. It's funny to watch someone argue about something so passionately, just to have it blow up in their face. :rolleyes:

wait so your saying Vic could have voiced Cilan?! That would have been EPIC, an even better reason to like Cilan! aw...;025;

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
wait so your saying Vic could have voiced Cilan?! That would have been EPIC, an even better reason to like Cilan! aw...;025;
No, those were just suggestions that people wanted. There was never any real chance of Vic voicing Cilan.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
So I don't think it's an option to send audio. I can't imagine why, but that's how it seems to be.

Of course they can record voices over long distances. When recording voices for an animated TV show/movie, voice actors do not usually record together, or even at the same time. Each VA will enter the recording booth, read his/her lines, exit, next VA goes in, etc. As for the actual implementation, you could either do it via VoIP (unlikely and impractical), or simply record it wherever using a studio microphone and an ideal environment (non-echoing, so a small room away from background noise). Then you'd just send over the resulting audio files to the dub studio. Communication between the artist and the studio could be done via a VoIP program like Skype, and the recording done using a professional mic and Audacity. It certainly is less convenient than having the voice actor at the studio, but it is easily doable.

Satoshi's girl

Cafemocha <3
xD Im looking forward to hearing him in pokemon <3 i'll be meeting him in october :D so it be great to know soon

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Luke is a recurring character, isn't he? Or at least I'm guessing he will be...and either way, the guy is around for 5 episodes, not one.

Then maybe it's Arata, the kid with the Solosis in the Audino Detective episode. That was the one I had originally guessed all along in the first place.

Of course, there is the still-not-dead rumor that he's the dub voice of Dread Grangil in the next movies...

To those saying that Vic could somehow record from a distance without going to New York, there is definitely a precedent for it. Hugo Weaving recorded all his lines as Megatron in the live-action Transformers movies all the way from Australia, without ever even meeting Michael Bay or the rest of the crew in person. I'm also pretty sure that Tara Strong records her lines for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in LA, while the rest occurs in Vancouver.

In Weaving's case, they used iChat, and I'd imagine Skype is an option too. My only concern with that approach, though, is that it might make it even harder than normal to properly emote when recording; it's bad enough with the antiseptic ADR environment, and to record from home without even the voice director to help, it might be even tougher to turn in a strong performance.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
OK, Vic Mignogna recently voiced Professor Icarus in the Elgyem episode, but he had another twitter entry saying he's recording for Pokemon, so he's obviously voicing another character somewhere down the road.

Reign G

Roggen and Rolan
Of course they can record voices over long distances. When recording voices for an animated TV show/movie, voice actors do not usually record together, or even at the same time. Each VA will enter the recording booth, read his/her lines, exit, next VA goes in, etc. As for the actual implementation, you could either do it via VoIP (unlikely and impractical), or simply record it wherever using a studio microphone and an ideal environment (non-echoing, so a small room away from background noise). Then you'd just send over the resulting audio files to the dub studio. Communication between the artist and the studio could be done via a VoIP program like Skype, and the recording done using a professional mic and Audacity. It certainly is less convenient than having the voice actor at the studio, but it is easily doable.
Oh, it is definitely possible, but considering Vic had shown interest in Pokémon before (iirc) but didn't do it until now, well, there must be something about recording lines over long distances that we don't know about that causes issues.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
Oh, it is definitely possible, but considering Vic had shown interest in Pokémon before (iirc) but didn't do it until now, well, there must be something about recording lines over long distances that we don't know about that causes issues.

Why does it have to be something to do with recording difficulties? Maybe Vic was interested in VAing for the show, but had other projects he was working on at the time, or perhaps some more lucrative offers. Pokemon isn't exactly a quality anime, to be honest, it's at rock bottom of anime in terms of writing and visual quality.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Why does it have to be something to do with recording difficulties? Maybe Vic was interested in VAing for the show, but had other projects he was working on at the time, or perhaps some more lucrative offers. Pokemon isn't exactly a quality anime, to be honest, it's at rock bottom of anime in terms of writing and visual quality.

Still better then Bakugan,Beyblade and Bleach lol

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
^I have to contest that last bit about Bleach. Sure, the villain is a troll, and the filler arcs rarely make sense, but the fact is, people like it, and there's a demand for it. Simple as that.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl

I don't see how the visual quality's bad, I love how vibrant and colourful Best Wishes has become and I'm certain that many people enjoy to point out goofs the animators make in each episode. For example, in one episode Cilan appears to have a horn portruding out of the back of his neck in a scene, but that's just a miscolouring of his hair.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
I don't see how the visual quality's bad, I love how vibrant and colourful Best Wishes has become and I'm certain that many people enjoy to point out goofs the animators make in each episode. For example, in one episode Cilan appears to have a horn portruding out of the back of his neck in a scene, but that's just a miscolouring of his hair.

Best Wishes is wayyyy better than what Kanto looked like, I agree (Trees actually look like trees, rather than smears in the background :O), but it still recycles a lot of animation, and the artists are lazy with frames in movement, resulting in attacks often looking kind of weird and robotic.

CupidKirby

I kind of agree with the recycled animation bit XD

But it's a balance sort of thing. If pokemon didn't recycle their animation and instead drew new scenes all the time, then those scenes would come out blotchy, unshaded and completely mediocre due to the budget being maxed out. I suffered through the monstrosity that was Powerpuff Girls Z long enough to realize that.

Since Pokemon is a long-time running show, the animators can't put a budget that could easily stretch into three episodes and dedicate that money into animating one...unless that episode was gravely important. I'd rather have recycled animation than a crack-induced looking Ash with a yellow blob on (what is presumed to be) his shoulder.

Ugh, anyways on topic. Even so, it's obvious that Pokemon's still a popular anime for the kids. It's also been around a long time. I think getting a permanent role in it would be great for Vic's career...so I don't think the problem is that the show isn't good enough for him or anything.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Best Wishes is wayyyy better than what Kanto looked like, I agree (Trees actually look like trees, rather than smears in the background :O), but it still recycles a lot of animation, and the artists are lazy with frames in movement, resulting in attacks often looking kind of weird and robotic.

Weird and robotic? I never really noticed, have they done this since Kanto?

Status
Not open for further replies.