• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Victini In 5th Gen

Lunanight

494.png
494.png

Typing: Psychic / Fire
Base Stats: 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100
Ability: Victory Star: raises accuracy of Victini by 10% (I think it is 10%)

moves in BOLD are good moves for victini

victini is what I call isshu's base 600 "mascot"(mew, celebi, jirachi, shaymin)
and like mew, has a good movepool but unlike mew - it has a better ability to make use of powerful moves

overall, I can see victini being an OU pokemon since it is too good for BL/UU
and is too weak for Ubers. by itself, victni is not much of a threat but with a team that can cover it's weaknesses then you can sweep with victini well

Start Flame Bomb
Start Focus Energy
Start Confusion
Start Devastate
Start Quick Attack
9 Endure
17 Headbutt
25 Nitro Charge
33 Reversal
41 Flame Burst
49 Zen Headbutt
57 Purgatory
65 Double-Edge
73 Flare Blitz
81 Death Gambit
89 Assist Power
97 Overheat
Psycho Shock
Toxic
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Taunt
Hyper Beam
Light Screen
Protect
Telekinesis
Safeguard
Frustration
Solar Beam
Thunderbolt
Thunder

Return
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Brick Break

Double Team
Flamethower
Fire Blast
Facade
Nitro Charge
Rest
Troll
Overheat
Focus Blast
Energy Ball
Fling
Charge Beam
Complete Burn
Will-O-Wisp
Embargo
Giga Impact
Flash
Thunder Wave
Psych Up
Cheer Up
Grass Knot
Swagger
U-Turn
Substitute
Trick Room
Wild Bolt
Rock Smash
  • 100 in all stats make it balanced and effective at anything
  • good ability
  • powerful attacks like fire blast and thunder to abuse with it's ability
  • good offensive typing
  • Death gambit with base 100 HP makes it deadly

• Poor defensive typing making it tyranitar bait
  • It's ability only boost's it by 10% which is not THAT good
  • has no recovery move outside of rest and still, there is no sleep talk TM in 5th gen
  • easily walled by blissey unless you use a choice band or use Cheer Up and then brick break

Cheer Up Sweeper
Victini @ Life orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Hasty
- Cheer Up
- Brick Break
- Fire Blast
- Thunder

the strategy is to use cheer up and then sweep using +1 Atk and +1 SpAtk

brick break is used instead of focus blast to hit blissey for higher damage:

+1 brick Break vs Standard WishBliss: 53.8% - 63.3%
+1 Focus Blast vs Standard WishBliss: 45.9% - 54.1%

even with 252 SpAtk EV's, focus blast is a lot weaker then brick break.
brick break is a guarrented 2HKO so blissey can not switch in on it

Choiced Physical Sweeper
Victini @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Nature: Jolly or Adamant
- Wild Volt
- Brick Break (it does not get superpower)
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn

this set easily takes pokemon like blissey by suprise

Choice Band Victini VS Standard WishBliss: 52.1% - 61.3%

U-turn let's it switch to another pokemon to take the hit or if the opponent has low HP and U-turn Can KO

Choiced Special Sweeper
Victini @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid or Modest
- Thunder
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

victini's ability allows it to spam moves like fire blast and thunder and not worrying about it missing as much

Combine that with the choice Scarf/Choice Specs and it will do some good damage

the moveset gives it good coverage while super effecting walls like burugeru, nattorei, skarmory and vaporeon

Death Gambit Revenge Killer
Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Death Gambit
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

with this EV spread, victini has 404 HP and 328 Speed
so with a choice scarf and death gambit, it can switch in after one of your pokemon are KO'ed and then OHKO them with death gambit.

also, not many pokemon put a lot of EV's into HP and unless you have more then 404 HP then you will be KO'ed.

when using victini, it is important to have a spinner since it is weak to stealth rock AND spikes

forrtress is good for this as it resist dark moves and ghost moves and also takes neutral damage to ground, rock and water

if you are using the special sweeper set then a pokemon that can easily KO blissey is good to have.

lucario can pull this off since it is immune to toxic and that way, lucario can set up when it switchs and then KO threats to victini

in ubers, groudon can help it out to use solarbeam since it is a lot better then energy ball. it also helps for a sun team

Kyogre does the same except it helps thunder's shaky accuracy and helps victini do some damage with it

Victini can use trick room but pokemon like dusknoir, uxie and cresselia can do this better

it can use a wall set with toxic, will-O-wisp or T-Wave but celebi is better at this due to having instant recovery with "recover"

Flame Bomb, victini's signiture move is good with 100 power and 100 accuracy but is weaker then fire blast and has the same PP, it's ability makes fire blast the better choice anyway

Blissey easily walls all of victini's sets unless victini is at +1 or is choiced
also, victini can not recover it's health back but blissey can with leftovers and wish

swampert resist fire blast and is immune to thunder so the only way victini can beat it is to use energy ball or grass knot which it rarely uses

Gastrodon can also do this except it has recover which makes it even easier to KO if victini does not have a grass move

latias and latios can resist thunder, focus blast, energy ball and fire blast so it needs shadow ball to do any real damage while they can strike back with +2 stab draco meteor's (+1 for the soul dew, +1 for calm mind)

in ubers, girantina (both forms) can wall it if it does not have shadow ball and and resist fire blast and thunder and are immune to focus blast

Victini is a pokemon I expect to see alot in 5th gen. It can serve quite a few roles and with strong STAB moves like Psycho Shock and V-Generate, he is a threat to be considered in all teams.

I disagree about Victini being OU in this gen. The standards for being OU have increased greatly, and considering it is weak to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock it will have trouble both switching in and out. Unless Drizzle gets banned, Rain teams will continue to dominate and Victini has no buisness standing up to a Rain team as any sweeper can KO it with STAB Rain boosted Surf/Waterfall. Sand also messes with it pretty badly as Tar can Pursuit it easily since it can take both its STABs, though Focus Blast/Brick Break can KO it. Most Victini I see are choiced so it would have to rely on prediction to beat Tar. I don't need to say anything else about Doryuuzu/Landlos/Chomp past STAB EQ. There are several things which look like great pokes which have fallen into the UU zone (Terrakion and Blissey for example) so I doubt Victini will get enough usage this gen unless several things end up being banned allowing it to be more useful. I'm not sure how he would fare in UU, though if he breaks it he would be BL. There is no such thing as too powerful for BL since it's just a ban list.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Agreeing with d0nut; BL at best, probably UU. It's weak against every common playstyle because frankly, it has terrible typing, and overall, 100/100/100/100/100/100 isn't as good a stat spread in gen 5 as it used to be when there are monsters like Landlos and Terakion around.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
Yeah, I agree with d0nut. Rain and Sand are duking it out for dominant weather (with Rain winning IMO) and a fire type loses to both of those, not to mention it's difficult to keep rocks off the field so the SR will hurt it. Especially on sand as its very likely that Hippowdon or Ttar will be a lead and have SR.

It looks like a fun Pokemon to use though, I'll have to build a team around it.

Fun gimmick strategy- when V-Generate is released, use Spinda to Skill Swap Perversity and spam V-Generate. Base 180 attack with +1 to both defences and speed every time you use it :p

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
I think Victini has some potential in OU, maybe in Uber depending

Here's my idea for Victini:

Victini @ Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Victory Star
Modest
252 SAttk/252 Speed/4 HP
-Ball of Flame/ V-Generate
-Psycho Shock/ Psychic
-Thunderbolt/ Thunder
-Solarbeam/ Energy Ball/ Grass Knot

As a special sweeper Victini is awesome. Ball of Flame is insanely powerful, STAB, and has 30% burn. V-Generate is an alternative, doing insanely more damage, but the stat drops suck. Psycho Shock or Psychic both get STAB and are pretty powerful in their own right. Psycho Shock would be perfect in taking out Special Walls, as it targets Defense instead of Special Defense. Thunderbolt/ Thunder will take care of any Bulky Waters, and can destroy against a Rain Team. Solarbeam is good if your running Sunny Day, and will destroy Ground, Rock, and Water types. If you're not running Sunny Day, Energy Ball and Grass Knot are both viable alternatives. EV's are obvious, and Nature just makes it an even better Sweeper. Wise Glasses is better if you plan on switching moves often, but Choice Specs make you more powerful, albeit with a lot of switching.

Victini has enough power to devastate in the OU, if you do well in backing it up. It functions well if paired up with the likes of Mew, and receives a chain Baton Pass, and boost it's Special Attack to insane numbers. Victini also can function well with a Rain Team or a Sun Team, and can devastate a Rain Team pretty quickly. Oh, but it's ability sucks. It only gives the boost during Double and Triple battles.

Victini could also work well as a Physical Sweeper, a mix, or a Support Pokemon. If I get time I'll post those builds as well.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I think Victini has some potential in OU, maybe in Uber depending

Here's my idea for Victini:

Victini @ Wise Glasses/Choice Specs
Victory Star
Modest
252 SAttk/252 Speed/4 HP
-Ball of Flame/ V-Generate
-Psycho Shock/ Psychic
-Thunderbolt/ Thunder
-Solarbeam/ Energy Ball/ Grass Knot

As a special sweeper Victini is awesome. Ball of Flame is insanely powerful, STAB, and has 30% burn. V-Generate is an alternative, doing insanely more damage, but the stat drops suck. Psycho Shock or Psychic both get STAB and are pretty powerful in their own right. Psycho Shock would be perfect in taking out Special Walls, as it targets Defense instead of Special Defense. Thunderbolt/ Thunder will take care of any Bulky Waters, and can destroy against a Rain Team. Solarbeam is good if your running Sunny Day, and will destroy Ground, Rock, and Water types. If you're not running Sunny Day, Energy Ball and Grass Knot are both viable alternatives. EV's are obvious, and Nature just makes it an even better Sweeper. Wise Glasses is better if you plan on switching moves often, but Choice Specs make you more powerful, albeit with a lot of switching.

Victini has enough power to devastate in the OU, if you do well in backing it up. It functions well if paired up with the likes of Mew, and receives a chain Baton Pass, and boost it's Special Attack to insane numbers. Victini also can function well with a Rain Team or a Sun Team, and can devastate a Rain Team pretty quickly. Oh, but it's ability sucks. It only gives the boost during Double and Triple battles.

Victini could also work well as a Physical Sweeper, a mix, or a Support Pokemon. If I get time I'll post those builds as well.
Its weakness to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock limits its usefulness. For Choice sets, Pursuit is more of the problem, seeing that common Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor can easily come in on a resisted attack that is locked on and trap Victini, since it virtually can't switch out, with a resisted attack that is locked on and the threat of Pursuit, so ending in an apparent kill. Its weakness to stall also compounds this problem. Stealth Rock and Sandstorm already force it to limit the amount of times it can actually switch in. Plus, it makes killing it so much more easier.

Also, Ball of Flame and V-Generate are event moves, and as of now, Victini cannot learn it, so you can't really consider it as viable moves.

Blackbomber72

Eccentric
It is actually a pretty pokemon, and I would like it to be in Ubers, but it may have a rough time there without boosts, just having Cheer Up.

Victini was born to be a risk pokemon, and as such, I will make a set involving V-generate (sadly, for OU).

Victini@Life Orb
Ability: Victory Star
Rash Nature
64 Atk/192 Sp. Atk/252 Spd
-V-generate
-Fire Blast
-Thunder/Solarbeam
-Focus Blast

V-generate is there to almost destroy Blissey, and according to my weird calculations, the final base power with STAB and Life Orb is 351!! This means, that factoring Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes it can OHKO Blissey, but for Chansey you may need a little more EVs or a boost. Fire Blast there for special STAB. Thunder or Solarbeam depending on your approach to Water types, here I am pointing that a Victini in Sun is nice, also the Solarbeam affects Ground types, but beware of Hippowdon and Sand Streamers in General. Focus Blast for the Dark, Rock... yes, those are the types of any Psychic counter, Tyranitar. This Set is mainly designed to kill counters.

If you see some error in my thinking, please point it so I can think about something to correct it.

Gentleman Skeleton

I'm surprised no one is appreciating Nitro Charge. Given enough prediction, Victini can swoop in and strike before your opponent can lay down a punch.

Victini@Life Orb
Victory Star
Jolly Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-V Generate
-Wild Charge
-Brick Break
-Nitro Charge

Nitro Charge helps build up Victini's Speed and helps a little with the painful stat drops V Generate creates. Wild Charge creates excellent type synergy with Nitro Charge and V Generate. Brick Break deals with Tyranitar and Blissey who would otherwise wall Victini with a passion.

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
Its weakness to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock limits its usefulness. For Choice sets, Pursuit is more of the problem, seeing that common Pursuit users such as Tyranitar and Scizor can easily come in on a resisted attack that is locked on and trap Victini, since it virtually can't switch out, with a resisted attack that is locked on and the threat of Pursuit, so ending in an apparent kill. Its weakness to stall also compounds this problem. Stealth Rock and Sandstorm already force it to limit the amount of times it can actually switch in. Plus, it makes killing it so much more easier.

Also, Ball of Flame and V-Generate are event moves, and as of now, Victini cannot learn it, so you can't really consider it as viable moves.

In theory, we shouldn't even consider Victini as it's an event Pokemon if you put it that way. And Ball of Flame isn't an event move, Victini can learn it as a starting move.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with Specs. But if Scizor switches into a Ball of Flame, he's toast. If SR is going to be standard, Rapid Spinners will be plenty to support Victini. Sandstreamers could be countered by Grass Knot or Energy Ball, and to a lesser extent Solarbeam. Pursuit will probably be Victini's most feared counter, but that even requires some guesswork. Victini isn't made to be a wall, it's better as a "switch in, devastate quickly, switch out" type of Pokemon, it won't last long enough for more than maybe four attacks max.

In theory, we shouldn't even consider Victini as it's an event Pokemon if you put it that way. And Ball of Flame isn't an event move, Victini can learn it as a starting move.

The event for Victini was already released when the game came out in Japan so it is useable. V-Generate will be released as a giveaway for the next movie soon, also.

noahk

I like victini,but unfortunately, I dont think it is going to do well. It doesnt have the move capabilities of mew and shamin, and quite frankly, jirachi and celebii.

Dr.Lex

I think Victini can be good on a sun team. Ninetails has drought now, so Victini has at least one thing going for it.

V-Generate under the sun will rape. I think that is clear. Under the sun, solarbeam helps with rock-ground pokemon who give Victini a hard time.

Too powerful for UU, too weak for Ubers, I think Victini has a home in OU. Nothing with 100 in each stat belongs in in UU

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
I think Victini can be good on a sun team. Ninetails has drought now, so Victini has at least one thing going for it.

V-Generate under the sun will rape. I think that is clear. Under the sun, solarbeam helps with rock-ground pokemon who give Victini a hard time.

Too powerful for UU, too weak for Ubers, I think Victini has a home in OU. Nothing with 100 in each stat belongs in in UU

Send it to BL then? This thing is not OU.

Also:

Opponent sent out Water-type!
You sent out Victini!
The sun is shining
Opponent switched out from obvious Solarbeam!
Opponent sent out Tyranitar!
Tyranitars Sandstream whipped up a Sandstorm
Victini is charging a 60BP move against Tyranitars Sand Boosted SpDef!
Tyranitar used lolpursuit
Victini fainted!

Solarbeam sucks big time.

What makes you think Victini is 'too strong for UU'? The only UU list we have so far is PO's; he's definitely not too strong for that tier, and it's unlikely that we'll end up with such a large BL list that this gen's UU will even vaguely resemble last gen's.

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
Send it to BL then? This thing is not OU.

Also:

You sent out Victini!
The sun is shining
Victini is charging a 60BP move against Tyranitars Sand Boosted SpDef!
Tyranitar used lolpursuit
Victini fainted!

Solarbeam sucks big time.

It's viable in OU

And:

You sent out Victini!
The sun is shining
Victini uses Grass Knot
Tyranitar takes 124-176 damage
Tyranitar used Pursuit
Victini takes 64-75 damage
At this point, if Tyranitar is running Choice, then it's screwed
Otherwise, it's logical that the opponent won't try Pursuit again, and Victini can safely switch out

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
What makes you think Victini is 'too strong for UU'? The only UU list we have so far is PO's; he's definitely not too strong for that tier, and it's unlikely that we'll end up with such a large BL list that this gen's UU will even vaguely resemble last gen's.

What makes you think it's too weak for OU? Straight 100 stats, plus great movepool, allows Victini to be a viable sweeper/"other things that names currently escape me". It's also quite unpredictable, it gets a lot of useful and powerful moves (ex: Ball of Flame, Flare Blitz, Thunder Wave, Psycho Shock, Death Gambit, Solarbeam, Grass Knot, Thunderbolt, Cheer Up, etc.) It can effectivily take on many of it's counters (Tyranitar, Scizor, Hippopowdon). It's typing isn't the best, but it's not devastating enough to take Victini out of OU. It has less weaknesses than resistances, and it even has less weaknesses than a Pokemon like Tyranitar. It doesn't have any 4x weaknesses that can be easily exploited, and can counter many Pokemon of it's type weakness (Tyranitar, Swampert, etc.) Lastly, the biggest downside of Victini, imo, is that it's ability is crap outside of double/triple battling.

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
It's viable in OU

And:

You sent out Victini!
The sun is shining
Victini uses Grass Knot
Tyranitar takes 124-176 damage
Tyranitar used Pursuit
Victini takes 64-75 damage
At this point, if Tyranitar is running Choice, then it's screwed
Otherwise, it's logical that the opponent won't try Pursuit again, and Victini can safely switch out

It's viable in OU. A lot of Pokemon have a niche in OU that means they're viable. Sturdy Lv 1 Aron is ruined by hazards (common) and Ghosts (Chandelure and Jellicent say hi) but can be used to effect. Does not mean it's good enough to be consistently used by a large number of players in order to officially make OU.

And thanks for helping to show Solarbeam is outclassed by Grass Knot or Energy Ball.

EDIT:
. It doesn't have any 4x weaknesses that can be easily exploited, and can counter many Pokemon of it's type weakness (Tyranitar, Swampert, etc.) Lastly, the biggest downside of Victini, imo, is that it's ability is crap outside of double/triple battling.

Try and switch Victini in on a Crunch or Stone Edge from Ttar, or an Earthquake from Swampert (who uses it any more?). I'm sure it won't end well. It checks them, not counters; there's a difference.

And Victory Star is alright if you're using Thunder, Focus Blast or Fire Blast.

Masteryoshimon

PokeAnalyzer
It's viable in OU. A lot of Pokemon have a niche in OU that means they're viable. Sturdy Lv 1 Aron is ruined by hazards (common) and Ghosts (Chandelure and Jellicent say hi) but can be used to effect. Does not mean it's good enough to be consistently used by a large number of players in order to officially make OU.

When I mean "viable," I mean that it's powerful enough to produce consistent
results when use. It can be used effectively in a wide variety of situations rather than a few select ones, or gimmicky ones.

Try and switch Victini in on a Crunch or Stone Edge from Ttar, or an Earthquake from Swampert (who uses it any more?). I'm sure it won't end well. It checks them, not counters; there's a difference.

And Victory Star is alright if you're using Thunder, Focus Blast or Fire Blast.

Point, Victini is a risky Pokemon to switch in, you'd have to switch in when there's a low risk for a OHKO. And Swampert is still a popular choice, not as popular, but it has it's uses.

And I thought Victory Star only works in double and triple battle? And even at 80% accuracy, their are better alternatives to Thunder and Fire Blast. Focus Blast is not bad though.

Just look at PO's usage list- people aren't using Victini. He's 138th in usage- that's behind Magmortar. 100 base HP and defences are wasted on something that's got so many common weaknesses (including the SR weakness) and no recovery other than Rest. 100 speed is pretty fast, but not fast enough. 100 base Attack and SpAtk isn't bad, by any means, but it's not good enough to really do damage without its STABs. Most importantly... it's weak to the metagame. It does badly against rain (of course), especially since the better rain sweepers are neutral to Thunder. It does poorly against sand, as well, since it's *just* slower than Landorus and Garchomp, slower than Terakion and naturally far slower than Excadrill. It also hates sand wearing its HP away. Victini might be an OK stallbreaker, but why use him over something like Infernape, who already has the whole 'anti-bulky water' thing covered with Grass Knot and actual Fighting STAB (not to mention SR neutrality).

It's not a bad Pokémon, but it requires a lot of hand-holding to work well (you need to stop SR coming down for a start) and it faces stiff competition from Blaziken and Infernape, who both have a better typing, higher offences, and better speed (even in PO's UU he's not seeing much use- he's the fourth most popular Fire type, behind Darmanitan, Arcanine and Chandelure). UU will be a lot more powerful this gen than last!