• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video game ideas.

I thought it would be kind of neat to have a thread to discuss game ideas that we would like to see in the future, or perhaps discuss games that we already love but how they could be improved - changes that you would like to see made to them. I understand that monster catching games like pokemon and yokai watch are very popular, and this might be ignorance on my part, but as far as I understand it there seems to be an unexplored niche for a monster catching game that takes a more serious, dark fantasy themed tone. I would really like to see something where the monsters that you catch are more inspired from the beasts in magic the card games than anything else, where all the monsters have their own unique back stories. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Resolute

ribombee is my dawg
I'm not sure how popular something like that would be with the masses, but I think it'd be really cool.

All I want is a game where I get to be a giant robot and blow stuff up. :D

ebevan91

I'd like an open world sci-fi game that takes place in the future. Basically something like Fallout or Elder Scrolls but futuristic. Yes I know Fallout technically takes place in the future but civilization got BTFO so it's really not futuristic, per se.

SkinnySweatyMan

I'd like an open world sci-fi game that takes place in the future. Basically something like Fallout or Elder Scrolls but futuristic. Yes I know Fallout technically takes place in the future but civilization got BTFO so it's really not futuristic, per se.

Would Starflight qualify?

Tangeh

as far as I understand it there seems to be an unexplored niche for a monster catching game that takes a more serious, dark fantasy themed tone. I would really like to see something where the monsters that you catch are more inspired from the beasts in magic the card games than anything else, where all the monsters have their own unique back stories. Thoughts?

I've never played this series myself, but isn't this more or less what the Shin Megami Tensei series is? Replace pokemon with demons and evolution with fusion, add enough religious controversy to make it an M-rated series, and you have Shin Megami Tensei in a nutshell. Dunno how in-depth the monster backstories get but you have to talk/bargain with them to use them on your team.

Anyways, I've been on the lookout for a tycoon-style game that focuses around breeding and selling pets, with an emphasis on realistic genetics, but they really only exist in the form of sim websites where everything happens in real-time and you need to play for years to really get up there in rank. Which I had fun with as a kid but I'm apparently too impatient for now, lol.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'd like to see some kind of racing game that isn't a car sim or mascot kart racer, there's MUCH more the racing genre could be doing besides those two types of games and they feel pretty similar TBH.

You know what would really be good? A foot racer like Sonic R but with parkour elements. In fact, why can't Sonic just do that?

SkinnySweatyMan

I've never played this series myself, but isn't this more or less what the Shin Megami Tensei series is? Replace pokemon with demons and evolution with fusion, add enough religious controversy to make it an M-rated series, and you have Shin Megami Tensei in a nutshell. Dunno how in-depth the monster backstories get but you have to talk/bargain with them to use them on your team.

From my experience with the series (mostly Nocturne/Lucifer's Call), I wouldn't really say there's a fantasy tone present. It's definitely dark, but it's very much a post-apocalyptic setting in present day Tokyo. Also, a lot of the interaction with the demons varies depending on the current situation, the gender, the types of demons they are and their intelligence as opposed to anything related to them individually. Also, the demons are based on actual mythological figures, and you can relate to them based on the figures the demons are based on as opposed to how they develop or any kind of back stories provided. I can see how the Shin Megami Tensei series could be related to what was suggested, but I wouldn't say that the series would provide the kind of experience that was described.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
All I want is a game where I get to be a giant robot and blow stuff up. :D

There's a fair handful of mecha games. Armored Core is a good choice to check out for this, actually. They're hard as hell (no surprise because they come from dev From Software, who had a hand in Dark Souls later on) and there's not always THAT much "just blow **** up" but it's a lot of fun. Some of the games include some fairly extensive mech vs. mech arena modes (Armored Core 2 is really cheap and has a GREAT one) that make for some fun, frantic fighting. Noticeably styled more after the "Real Robot" genre than the "Super Robot" one, though -- don't know how you feel about that or if you even know enough about those aspects.