• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video game violence?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Don't forget Pokemon!

Pokemon has violence in it. In fact it has animal cruelty & Child neglect as the main theme!

Game synopsis:
A 10 year old child, takes a bunch of "pets" and battles his/her way across the region against criminal organizations. For real, Pokemon could be presented that way and whip up public outrage!

Dragontamer1011

tOnce people hit a certain age they are able to differentiate between video games and real life. This starts (In my own opinion) around age 12-13, and sometimes kids never really learn. Also, some people tend to revel in the violence, as in they enjoy the blood and gore. Playing violent video games at a young age without a doubt has an effect psychologically. Does this mean we should ban violent video games? I know people who have more violent homes then who play violent video games... As long as children understand and don't enjoy the violence, I don't see any problem with it.. My brother is 13 and he plays Call of Duty, Halo, and Red Dead Redemption, and hes not violent at all. Simply because I sat down and explained to him, my brother understands. Anyway, I'm not violent at all and I play Fallout which has gore, it doesn't noticeably affect me at all. This is what I've discovered by observation, anyway.

Last edited:

SurfingHaxorus

While I don't play violent video games we can not ban them from people who are over 21 as for kids tho it is the job of the parents to not let their kids play those games. Which means parents must go online read game mags etc to find out about the games kids want to play and they don't like the game ,don't buy for their kid, If the kid gets a violent game as gift take away and exchage it for something else.

One more thing I got to say I think the rating system for Video games should be changed to be the same as the movie rating system. Cause people know that one better than the rating system for games.

pokemonmaster3.0

Stop laughing...
If you actually make a law against it, it'll just become a black market sort of thing. True, there's some video games that are just plain bad w/ violence, but really, try stopping everybody from purchasing CoD. Impossible.

Also, I do think they should try to actually enforce the ratings. If a 10 year old comes in to buy Mortal Kombat, you should stop him.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
People should stop trying to ruin it for others and just monitor what their own children play.
And Pokémon is hardly violence. That's just reading into it way too much.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Technically, it is violence. Pokemon fight to submission. That's violence right there.

Missingno
I've heard of a study that shows that kids who play video games that require you to focus in a certain place in real-time (like games where you try not to get killed because you have to focus on where the next attack is coming from) helps you later on, like being able to focus on the road in fog.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

Butterfly

just want to point out here that literally almost every single game ever has some form of violence in it unless it is a puzzle game. i can think of only a few non-puzzle games that have no violence at all in them. i think the issue here shouldn't be "banning" it, it should really be "awareness" i don't think that extremely violent video games existing is a problem. in fact, i don't even think the advertisement of said violence is a problem. i am not aware of other rating systems, but the esrb does a fantastic job of accurately rating titles and clearly marking them. the basic stuff on the back of the box, the easy-to-find letter on the front, and a more detailed sheet of information should someone want to know more about it are all useful things. when it comes to minors, i think it really needs to be the parent's responsibility to be informed about stuff. i realize many parents don't realize this, but i imagine only an awful parent would knowingly take their child to a gory horror film etc. if i was a parent (i'm not), i would always try to be as informed as possible about what my kid was doing - books, movies, etc. video games are no exception. i think there should be a greater effort to reach out to ignorant parents, inform them that yes, some games really are just not for kids, and show them how to tell the difference, and hopefully even make them care.

Pokemon has violence in it. In fact it has animal cruelty & Child neglect as the main theme!
i just want to point out that only one of the pokemon games has "animal cruelty" as a main theme, and none of them have a main theme of neglect. i believe you are confusing "main theme" with "present in the backstory." yes, there are undertones of parental neglect, and of animal cruelty, but only if you look deep into it. a main theme isn't something like that, it's something the story focuses on, and to my knowledge only one of the pokemon games focuses on pokemon cruelty.

Last edited:

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I would have to say no that they shouldn't ban violence in games. That's cause of the major reason the politicians think it should be is because of something like a little kid say around the age of 6 stole something after seeing it while playing GTA. The only way that they could stop it without it banning violence is to be more strict on the ESRB ratings. Then it would have the politicians not harping on it and the age appropriate gamers which the game was meant for could still play them.

Ok so basically if anyone becomes violent "because of video games" they had a violent disposition in the first place and were likely to do the same thing whether or not there were video games involved.

The kids who committed the Columbine incident reportedly played Doom a lot, but there were plenty of other kids playing Doom as well. If Doom were the problem, wouldn't there have been more Columbine incidents within a logical timespan?

The guy who did the Virginia Tech shootings also was a gamer. But his roommate said that before the massacre, the shooter would spend more time deep in thought rather than gaming.

Will games reinforce already violent dispositions? Yes. Yes they will.
Do they affect anyone in any really lasting way? No.

There's a saying that goes with this: Blame the reader. Not the book.

bug pro

Pearl on Phone
Well, Violence is the leading game slaer (amongst professionals) and will always be. Removing this will cause hardly any games to be created. Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Littke big Planet, h*ll, even Pikmin.

My friends play 16-18 games and are 13. They are among the calmest in the whole class.

Reavri

The study has a point, though the solution is most definitely not to remove all violence from videogames -- that's an incredibly silly idea. Violence in videogames is often integral to the story of the game, as the plot itself might be revolving around war -- just as multiple novels, TV series and movies do.

It just means that parents will need to assess whether or not their child exhibits violence and is mature, or not mature, enough to handle a violent videogame. You know, parents would have to attend to another facet of the job they took on in having a child during the 21st century.

legendarypokemonmaster

My friends play 16-18 games and are 13. They are among the calmest in the whole class.
It's always the quiet ones

The best thing is to try to get parents to be more responsible and monitor their kids.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
The best thing is to try to get parents to be more responsible and monitor their kids.

Parents dont want to be responsible; they want the whole world to be this big bubble where nothing harmful exists so they dont have to watch their kids.

Its a slippery slope banning things. First you start with GTA and Halo, then you go down to Final Fantasy and other nonreality violence, then pokemon and mario, cutesy violence, and eventually no video games AT ALL, not even nonviolent games either. The same would apply to movies and TV as well.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
Banning video game violence is a stupid idea. More or less, it will educate them about an unavoidable aspect of life. Might as well ban anything that deals with violence, not just video games. It is just impossible.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
Video Games, they make me have uncontrollable urges to eat mushrooms, wear frog suits, and jump.

Deffinately violent influences there :~

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
There are age restrictions in video games for a reason.

This topic has been done to death and the arguments that support it are way too fallacious. While I agree that a violent video game can cause violent in children, writing it off as the main cause is a total double standard. What makes video games different from other forms of media when it comes to influencing violence? Might as well ban films and literature that deal with "excessive" violence as well, which are equally as accessible to young children. It all boils down to the same thing, only on different mediums. I say stop blaming the media and focus on being a parent by not buying these games for your kids in the first place.

Last edited:

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
The difference between a violent game and a violent movie is pretty big though.

A violent game has YOU doing the Nutshots, violent movies have someone else doing the nutsots. Some kids get a power rush from actually pusing the button as opposed to telling someone to push the button.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
The difference between a violent game and a violent movie is pretty big though.

A violent game has YOU doing the Nutshots, violent movies have someone else doing the nutsots. Some kids get a power rush from actually pusing the button as opposed to telling someone to push the button.

My point is that these "violent" games and movies weren't intended for children in the first place. Kids can easily imitate what they see in immersive movies and television shows as well. Pointing the finger at video games isn't going to help anyone. At least with video games, parents are more directly involved in preventing the purchase of restricted games (or at least, they should be) as opposed to what can catch a child's eye on television.

People that support the banning of violent video games forget that a lot of kids play video games. A few school shooters that happen to play FPS games, pardon my language, says jack shit. The ratio of sociopaths that are found to play video games vs. perfectly sane people that play video games? I rest my case. As I said, I believe that any form of media could potentially be influential to the psyche in different ways, but most of the time it's highly exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness.

Last edited: