• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video game violence?

Seem

Hollen i ven.
You cannot wrap a child in bubble wrap. Children will be exposed to these things as they grow, and it is the parents job to look out for them. That includes looking at ratings, taking games in moderation and teaching their child not to imitate certain things and believe everything they see and hear.

Violence and unpleasant behaviour is everywhere, from television to real life even in the smallest of forms. You cannot simply ban everything and expect to solve problems.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Y'know, if they want to shoot and kill people they can just go ahead and join the Army, because most of these violent games revolve around someone in the Army shooting up whatever steps in their path. They're not murder simulators (like a certain attorney believes), they're Army simulators!

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Y'know, if they want to shoot and kill people they can just go ahead and join the Army, because most of these violent games revolve around someone in the Army shooting up whatever steps in their path. They're not murder simulators (like a certain attorney believes), they're Army simulators!

Certain games (actually a lot of them) are not army simulators. The Call of Duty franchise is not an army simulator in any way, neither is most other popular games, such as Halo.

If you go out into the army with your only prior knowledge being video games, chances are you will end up dead. These games are made to provide a fun experience, not always a realistic one.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
Excessive violent video games like the Super Smash Bros. franchise should be banned. Pokémon also needs to be banned, because it promotes animal fighting and choking others with link cables.

Simon Black

Dark lord of dragons
Ban video games violence

No it's retarted I play grand theft auto yes it's extremely violent but it's just a game u don't see me going out killing women and stealing their money

Kelz

More saving. More doing.™
No it's retarted I play grand theft auto yes it's extremely violent but it's just a game u don't see me going out killing women and stealing their money

Maybe not you, but if children play or are exposed to games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, ect. at a young age, it will effect them as adults.

No, you most likely won't become a criminal because you played M rated games at a young age, but it will warp your idea of right versus wrong.

So no, I don't think violent games should be 'banned', but I think parents should be a lot more strict with what games their children play. I beleive people should actually follow the ratings, whether or not you think it's 'suiting'. Even with T games! I don't think you should be letting a 9 year old play even T games. The ratings are there for a reason.

As far as being banned, I don't think games like CoD or Halo should be banned. Grand Theft Auto on the other had I can't stand. They're horrible games that I don't think anyone should play. Going around randomly killing people, seriously?

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Parents should be able to realize what kids can handle. Thats of course if they're actual parents. The rating system is there so parents can't say they weren't warned. Like say Smash is rated T for teens but it's perfectly fine for even 8 year olds to play for the most part.
As far as being banned, I don't think games like CoD or Halo should be banned. Grand Theft Auto on the other had I can't stand. They're horrible games that I don't think anyone should play. Going around randomly killing people, seriously?
Fun is in the eye of the beholder.

Ðew™

Definition of insanity
Hey, I find grand theft auto as a great way to laugh out some stress...being evil is too funny sometimes. Causing people to fight you because you smacked their car and watching them get arrested never gets old and is funny every time. Will I argue this for everyone? No...to me, that age requirement is nothing; as long as kids are mature enough and aren't really impressionable, let 'em play some gta. Let a kid play some of that stuff too early on in his/her life and maybe you may have to worry a little in the future. Otherwise...ban violent video games because of some bad parenting? That's not cool...I bought gta 4 without my parents' assistance. Plus, that's like ending a shut-in nerd's life. What happened to the freedom of speech?

(For some of you guys, I'd like to see evidence. I've played pokemon since I was 5 and haven't thought of harming an animal; bugs don't count since little boys love to kill those things mercilessly without the influence pokemon. My evidence: I killed bees for fun. The first bee pokemon didn't come out until I was 14 or so [beedrill looks more like a wasp than a bee].)

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
It's more about how kids deal with the violence they see and hear upon exposure, not whether or not they should be totally excluded from ever witnessing anything violent at all. If you were to remove all games that featured any bit of violence, you would probably be left with only puzzle and simulator games, as in nothing with any storyline whatsoever. Sorry, but I think the video game industry would be stone-cold dead if all there was to play was Tetris and Farmville. The boredom would be murder.

If you try to shield a kid from seeing or hearing any violence at all, then you're only making it worse when the inevitable moment arises that they witness violence for the first time at it naturally occurs in real life. Instead, kids should be made aware that violence is in fact something that needs to be kept in such things as video games and movies, not something that should be taken into real life.

The real problem is when a child shows signs that they can't draw the line between fiction and reality. That's when it's on a much deeper psychological level and needs to be addressed by a medical professional.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
This whole ban violent video games is just a scapegoat from the government to explain why our country has turned out this way. Kids arent influenced by animated characters killing another to go out and be violent, they watch domestic violence at home or television shows that involve violence. I agree the age restriction is good, but I mean I wouldn't mind if the Rated M games go from 17 to 18, even though I'm 18. Most states like mine require an ID scanned to purchase Rated M games, TN btw. But by 18, these "kids" are adults then. And adults should probably be able to decide if they want to buy a game or not. The Rated T has only a few swear words and maybe a revealing shirt by a female, both of these admire to the 13-17 age group, it's just good marketing. Plus if they came up with this whole video game ideal, did they do a poll from serial killers if they played video games as children? No.

This. The age restriction is good because it keeps younger kids from purchasing mature games on their own, but their parents can purchase them for them if they choose (and of course, youngsters will find older friends, or friends' parents to do it for them as well, but that's unavoidable).

I played GFA and other random violent games when I was young. I've watched horribly graphic movies with blood and guts, etc. I'm not violent at all. And like the quote above, serial killers didn't play video games (much less violent ones).

If parents teach children not to be violent, then video games aren't going to influence them. Yes, there are times where kids want to rein act what they do on video games (there was a thing on the news of a 6 year old who stole a gun and hijacked his father's car because of GFA), but it's rare that they become violent people because of them.

IMO, people just want something to blame other than bad parenting.

RK-9

Banned
This whole ban violent video games is just a scapegoat from the government to explain why our country has turned out this way. Kids arent influenced by animated characters killing another to go out and be violent, they watch domestic violence at home or television shows that involve violence. I agree the age restriction is good, but I mean I wouldn't mind if the Rated M games go from 17 to 18, even though I'm 18. Most states like mine require an ID scanned to purchase Rated M games, TN btw. But by 18, these "kids" are adults then. And adults should probably be able to decide if they want to buy a game or not. The Rated T has only a few swear words and maybe a revealing shirt by a female, both of these admire to the 13-17 age group, it's just good marketing. Plus if they came up with this whole video game ideal, did they do a poll from serial killers if they played video games as children? No.

video games are becoming too violent i think we can afford to tone it down.
these companies are marketing blood, violence, and sex. doesn't anyone remember the kid that stole a car and went for a joy ride? he was SIX.
and he picked that up from playing GTA. what else might he pick up from video games like that?

11DBHK

Banned
these companies are marketing blood, violence, and sex. doesn't anyone remember the kid that stole a car and went for a joy ride? he was SIX.
and he picked that up from playing GTA. what else might he pick up from video games like that?

what's your point? my 12 year old cousin stole a car, shot a bunch of cops, killed a stripper, robbed a bank AND BEAT HIS HIGHSCORE.

Last edited:

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Video games don't tell you to do bad things, it is your decision to copy the game. If you do copy a game, you are obviously too stupid to realize video games are not real life. Of course small children can't help being dumbas*es, so if the kid does something from the game it is the parents fault for ignoring the ratings.

Like I said before, I have played these games when I was young, but I was smart enough not to copy them. You should only be allowed to play these types of games when you know that you are capable of making good decisions.

J.T.

ಠ_ಠ

Are you advocating censorship?

these companies are marketing blood, violence, and sex. doesn't anyone remember the kid that stole a car and went for a joy ride? he was SIX. and he picked that up from playing GTA.

What the hell kind of parent lets a six-year-old play GTA?

That's basically what it boils down to - parents don't know how to say no to their kids, don't want to bother knowing what sorts of games their kids are playing, and don't want their kids to see them as a "bad guy" for not getting them something like Mortal Kombat for their sixth birthday. The ESRB exists to let parents know what themes are in the game. If a parent doesn't want their kid playing a violent video game, here's a funny thought: Don't buy them. Where I live, video game stores have a policy of not selling M-rated games to people under 17 without parental permission. Not a bad system, but there's still the problem of parents simply not giving a ****.

The problem isn't the gaming industry, it's the parents. Don't censor an entire industry just because the parents can't be arsed to do their job.

I agree the age restriction is good, but I mean I wouldn't mind if the Rated M games go from 17 to 18, even though I'm 18.

See, this kills me. M-rated games are recommended for people 17 and up. AO, which (as far as I know) is the only rating above M, is recommended for... people 18 and up. Yet that one-year difference apparently makes such a huge deal that you'll be hard pressed to find AO games in stores anywhere. Then again, that could be just because there aren't that many of them anyway.

Somewhat on topic: Anyone remember Jack Thompson? I still think we should thank the guy for making the anti-video game movement so hard to take seriously.

ChedWick

Yea I remember that fiasco. Now I ask you, is that really a problem with video games or is that a problem with parenting? I'm going with the latter.

legendarypokemonmaster

You can't really ban it. This is a parenting problem, although I think that media/society is saturated with violence anyway. Whatever you surround yourself with will inevitably influence you, at least in some way.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Yes, I want government to shield my innocent eyes from the filth that is the video game industry. Ban any game with even the slightest amount of violence; Pokemon included. I'm too pathetic to make up my own mind about violent content; I'm too foolish to decide if any children I have can play this game or that game.

The state should then ban any verbal aggression too, my precious ears shouldn't hear naughty words like 'idiot' and 'fool'. Ban any sense of disagreement and tension between characters in any form of entertainment; we wouldn't want kids thinking they have the right to disagree now would we? People should learn to accept what is said and done like obedient sheep for the maintenance of peace and harmony.

Then the state should regulate what I can see and hear; I'll need government approval before I can have a conversation, read a book, watch TV, go on the internet or play games. You'll never know what social heresy one may hear. Hey, I may as well have a bureau decide what subjects and words I can and can't use. We wouldn't want the plebeians to think they have the freedom to just say what the want.

legendarypokemonmaster said:
You can't really ban it. This is a parenting problem, although I think that media/society is saturated with violence anyway. Whatever you surround yourself with will inevitably influence you, at least in some way.
It's blatant hypocrisy to say video games need a muzzle when movies, TV, books and the internet are filled with the same violent and sexual sludge. I'm for ratings (helps parents who actually care about their kids), but not for bans.