1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games --> Anime

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by Autis-misc, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Autis-misc

Autis-misc Abridger

There are several Anime shows that have been Video games beforehand. Unlike many Video Game turned Live Action (or Anime Turned Live Action), Some people believe they don't suck. Some people say they do suck. i don't care about those people. What are your opinions on Anime such as this? (Such As: tales of the Abyss, Persona 4 the animation, The Towers of Druaga, Exc....)

2. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

I enjoyed Persona 4 The Animation but I haven't played the original game. From what I've heard the game itself is much better so I'm eager to play it when it comes out on PS Vita.

lol

3. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Can't say for sure, since the only anime I can tell were video games before are Pokémon, Kirby of the Stars, Sonic X, and some of the Japanese Mario cartoons (unless you count Visual/Sound Novels as video games, in which case, I know of a few more and a lot of them adapted to anime well). While I haven't seen the Japanese Mario cartoons, I hear they varied, Pokémon is mediocre, Kirby of the Stars had its moments (both good and bad) and we all know how Sonic X turned out.

I'm sure the Japanese do it much better than we do when it comes to movies, but honestly, any adaptation of a video game walks a fine line at best, especially when it comes to pleasing the fans. I'm not against this, don't get me wrong, there's only so much story a certain video game can have, that to come up with an original storyline while staying true to the original source material takes a lot of writing skill. And sadly, many, many shows based off of video games have been mediocre at best, and most of them are So Bad, It's Good. I don't doubt there are really good ones out there, they're just hard to find, and every fan is different.

4. blaze boy

blaze boy Aka SamuraiDon

Where does the Digimon series fall, toy or Video Game adaptation?

5. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

This thread needs The iDOLM@STER, because it's amazing, and it's adapted from a game.

6. TotalPotato

TotalPotato Vegetable of Doom!

I haven't seen an anime adapted from a video game (barring visual novels), mainly because I'd rather play the game. Maybe it's unfair of me to discount these adaptations without watching them, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that the anime adaptation of a video game was better than or even on the same level as the video game itself. I mean, I could watch the Disgaea anime, but I can't imagine the dialogue being better or the fights being more fun than what I experienced in the game.

The only exception to this is Pokémon, and that's because the anime uses the same setting, but can easily expand the characters, the setting and the action because of the nature of the games. I think that's the way to go with video game adaptations - explore the setting in a way that you can't do in the video game.

7. Charizard Champion#06

8. Jolteon91

Jolteon91 iDOLM@STER Fanboy

If visual novels count then: Little Busters! (Even though it hasn't been fully adapted yet).
    Also Clannad.

9. Charizard Champion#06

10. TotalPotato

TotalPotato Vegetable of Doom!

And ef - a tale of 10charlimit.

11. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Oh, the overload of visual novels that aren't going to see much light in North America is starting...

It's usually the RPGs that get adapted into cartoons and comics which are usual good if they follow their source material to an extent. Other titles are hit and miss, mostly taking an episodic format diverging from the games' plot (or little of) and are simple and basic "friends and/or possibly super-powered cute things doing stuff" show. Then again, the CGI Donkey Kong Country cartoon (see what happens when you forgo slang and use a standard term) was decent from what I can remember...oh well.

12. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Before ParaChomp so rudely interrupted [SUB]we still love you, ParaChomp[/SUB], I was going to say Higurashi*SHOT*

*glares* I honestly think the Higurashi anime is a good way to get introduced to the series. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of things the original sound novels have, but that's what makes it fun, to me anyway, discovering something "new" by looking to the original source. Just because the animation is cruddy, and it was limited by time doesn't mean it's horrible. As long as it still scares you and makes you care for the characters, it does its job fine.

Still iffy about Umineko, though...

The Street Fighter cartoon was technically anime, right? (I know it's not good, I can't quite remember if it is.)

13. ParaChomp

"Well, excuse me, princess." What? Nationalities aside, that was on-topic. :)

In all honesty, if someone wanted to try to get into Japanese media, When they Cry is probably what I'd hand them over to give a shot and see if they like it.

More reason why we should just use the term "cartoon" along with the corresponding nationality.

14. Charizard Champion#06

Wasn't that animated by Canadians/France?

I would eat that **** up.

15. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

Oh God. When I think of Video Games --> Anime, I think of utter failures like Umineko and ToTA. I'm sure there are a lot of adaptions done right, but the amount of adaptions done wrong greatly outweigh them.

16. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

And Kano n

17. The Admiral

The Admiral sans visage

Am I the only person who dislike P4A? I'm not big on Persona 4 anyway, especially not after seeing some things related to the side materials, but the anime just, if nothing else... looks terrible. It's a partially visual medium -- bad visuals can wreck it. The gradient abuse just needs to go.

18. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

The problem with P4A is that Persona 4 is supposed to be fun. Watching P4A is like watching somebody else play Persona 4. It's not as enjoyable as playing the game yourself.

19. xerxes

xerxes ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ

i haven't played the games but sengoku basara is easily one of my favourites. the first season at least.

20. ParaChomp

You mean Quebec? I don't know either and am too bored to do my research but Donkey Kong originated in Japan, got a cartoon not from there but then again, it was based off of games and lore created by Rare (an American company).

Same here plus Trite and the gang have already had comic adaptions so why not?