• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video games you regretted playing?

Kage-Pikachu

The Last of Us for PS3! It's terrible and won't load after a certain point (apparently this is a problem for many users) the PS4 version is good though.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Damn. That's tough. When I play a bad game, it's generally intentional as it's a well known bad game, and for a joke.

I guess the worse game I played unironically was Zatch Bell Mamodo Fury for the PS2/Gamecube.

It's a shame a decent manga never got a truly decent game, or even a complete anime.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
When it comes to purchasing games I tend to be very picky. I want to make sure I'll get my moneys worth but occasionally theres a game I regret playing.

The most recent game I regret playing, Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U. It became frustrating because of its repetitive gameplay, boring story, characters, and certain requirements to begin missions. The trailers made it look like an interesting game but in my opinion it was a bad experience.

Last edited:

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
Paper Mario Sticker Star was a disappointment for me. I just wasn't having very much fun with it. I don't like the battle system or the personality of Kersti. The story also didn't sound unique enough to me (I feel like it starts out similar to Super Mario Galaxy). I ended up not finishing the game as a result.

Another disappointment is Disney Universe, which was a gift I never asked for. My brother and I played it together to the end of the story and we did not enjoy the forced competition since it wants us to finish the levels together. The ending was also pretty bad.
The villain sings It's a Small World instead of giving you a final boss fight. We would have preferred to fight him after what we had to go through instead of hearing that annoying song.

M.P.

Retired
I have to say Paper Mario: Sticker Star as well. I watched the reveal trailer and it looked so much fun (it was still a proper RPG then) and even had a Chain Chomp partner... then I didn't watch any later trailers and bought the game, only to discover the battle system had changed into something much worse and the only partner was the annoying Kersti. I stopped playing after a couple of levels and sold the game few years later. Still can't believe Nintendo ruined Paper Mario just because they didn't want to have two Mario RPG series...

Another one is Pokemon Shuffle. At first I really enjoyed the game and got quite addicted to it. However, later the levels of the game as well as catching Pokemon became frustratingly difficult, in order persuade players to spent money on micro-transactions. I didn't want to use my money on them, so eventually I gave up and deleted the game.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Damn, I actually like MMBN4. I will agree that the localization is rushed, especially how it tells me that I won when I lost a minigame.

Otherwise, I like the game, but I can see why people didn't like it.
I know a couple other people who like it, so I guess it's just one of the more divisive titles of the series. /shrug

Kage-Pikachu

This is kind of a cheat but I regretted playing Pokemon Black originally since I tried as hard as possible to beat it as quickly as possible. This meant I had to wait 3 years for the next game, since then I've grown to take my time by switching between both paired versions to drag it out longer.

This isn’t a whole game (and it’s actually in one of my all-time favourites) but I wish I didn’t have to get the good ending in Toma’s Route in Amnesia to unlock my favourite route. For a game with such interesting and heartwarming other routes, such a poorly handled route left a really bitter taste in my mouth (also for gods sake he literally is the only character with a doubt metre - not only is that big considering some of the other characters, you need to fill up that bar). I’m just glad the Normal ending gave a much more satisfying and logical end.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Pokemon X/Y and Omega Ruby for me. Pokemon Y felt way too easy to beat where I completed it in just a couple of days. Also I didn't care much for the storyline and the post game was almost nonexistent.
Pokemon Omega Ruby needed more emerald stuff like the Team Aqua and Team Magma plots in one game as well as the Battle Frontier being omitted from the games.

Nioh. It was hard, but not in a challenging kind of way that made you want to push on but in a hair ripping, exasperating kind of way that made me want to become an alcoholic.

Kage-Pikachu

Maybe this thread should have been called video games you regret "buying" instead of playing. I loved Danganronpa 3 but since it's a mystery game, after beating it there's no real reason to replay. Sure, you can rewatch it for the story like you would rewatch anime but having to play through the story and do all the detective work is boring after the first playthrough. I wish I had just watched a lets play like I did with the second game...

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I very seldom come across a game I actually regret playing or buying, but there are a few:

1. ARMS
Despite all my hopes and expectations, ARMS was a disaster. There was no real diversity to how characters fought, which is a travesty for fighting games. Even worse, all weapons were available to all fighters, so there was no real uniqueness to them. I ended up taking the game back in less than two days.

2. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Much like ARMS, my hopes and expectations were shattered with USUM. The game just ended up being a run-of-the-mill third version Pokémon, of which I am sick and tired. While I enjoyed many parts of the game, such as Mantine Surfing, travelling through Ultra Space, and the awesomeness that is Blacephalon, I ultimately feel like I wasted $40.

3. RPG Maker Fes
As a huge nerd for character creation and the like, I jumped on RPG Maker Fes as soon as I heard of it. I knew it wasn't going to be like the actual PC software, but I didn't think it would be that bad. The game was terribly made, offered no tutorial, few options, and not much room for creativity at all. I ended up taking it back in only a couple of weeks.

4. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
I actually enjoyed this game a lot. I put a lot of hours into making stages, but the regret came with knowing I would never be able to actually share my stages, due to the lack of online sharing. That made me ultimately decide to take back the game. If it weren't for that, I'd probably still have it.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Fable 3. As a long time fan of the series, Lionhead really disappointed me as well as many others with that installment. Fable 2 is superior in just about every way.

Kage-Pikachu

2. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Much like ARMS, my hopes and expectations were shattered with USUM. The game just ended up being a run-of-the-mill third version Pokémon, of which I am sick and tired. While I enjoyed many parts of the game, such as Mantine Surfing, travelling through Ultra Space, and the awesomeness that is Blacephalon, I ultimately feel like I wasted $40.
Gotta agree there...I enjoyed the additional story elements but man...it should have been released as 1 game and marketed as such. Team Rainbow Rocket should not have been advertised the way it was.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
The most recent game I regret playing is LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 on Nintendo Switch.

I've been playing LEGO video games since LEGO City Undercover came out in 2013 on the Wii U. I enjoyed that game and played several other titles throughout the years but finally came to a realization after playing Marvel Superheroes 2. Over the years the levels are becoming longer and more tedious to play, one level usually taking 30+ minutes to complete. Figure my time could be used elsewhere on a game I'd actually enjoy playing.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
Bought Ghost Recon: Wildlands during the summer sales. Game still buggy and still haven't fix some issue since beta. Never gonna buy Ubisoft games anymore.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Regret Playing? Excitetruck.

Regret Buying? Putting in money for the Mighty #9 Kickstarter.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Lately theres one game I've been playing obsessively and to the point it's distracting me from real life. That game being Stellaris (PC) and several DLC's which I purchased back in July on the Steam Summer Sale for roughly $75.

The reason I regret playing it now is because I've wasted roughly 60 hours into this game. Usually starting a new game, build up my empire over, completely abandon that game because it became boring, and then create another new game to do it all over again. So in those 60 hours of play I never actually completed a game.

I had to uninstall it and Steam to preserve my sanity and reclaim my life. I regret playing this game because I could have invested that time elsewhere.