• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video of a real, live "manaphy!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pqUlKSGcI8Q&feature=related

Manaphy and Phione are both based on the "sea angel," or clione. For some reason, the pokemon versions skipped the fact that Clione is a savage predator with an arsenal of concealed tentacles. It feeds exclusively on a species of swimming snail. What you see at the end of the video is the prey's empty shell...

Clione are mentioned in "what pokemon are based on"...but the replies to that thread make it obvious that few people bother to read it. I thought this was just barely cool enough to warrant unique attention.

Last edited:

-BJ-

Pretty cool. It's kind of an odd animal to base cute little legendaries off of.

ShinyVaati

100% Rebel Time Lord
O-O. They based Manaphy and Phione of that?

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
Those are so cute :3 Now I think those look cuter then Manaphy and Phione.

shinygroudon232

I plead the 5th!!
Wow... Those barely even resemble manaphy and phione.... But, they are both cute and wierd at the same time.... Weird....

shinygroudon232

I plead the 5th!!
Wow... Those barely even resemble manaphy and phione.... But, they are both cute and wierd at the same time.... Weird....

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
Manaphy is extremely "super deformed" with its huge head, tiny body and elongated antenna, making the similarity easy to overlook, but when you think about it the only direct difference is that manaphy has feet. Fione, on the other hand, has the tapered slug-body of the real thing, and its name is directly taken from them as well :)

It's not the only time they've been heavily stylized. The digimon "Marineangemon" is also based on the clione:

http://www.thedigi-zone.com/images74Leo/CardScans/Bo-231.JPG

Here's a Hello kitty version, too:

http://altjapan.typepad.com/my_weblog/files/helloclione.jpg

And here's a cute little ice-cube keychain of one:

http://www.strapya-world.com/images/medium/46-PUTITCUBE-KO_MED.jpg

As you can see, Japan considers their "heart" (actually a clump of various organs) to be their cutest and most defining feature, inspiring Manaphy's unique abilities. They are one of the most beloved and celebrated sea-creatures there.

I'm surprised the poke isn't water/ice though. Their japanese name basically means "angel of the ice floe" - they only appear in freezing cold water, and swarm the coast of Hokkaido in the winter to lay their eggs. When spring comes and the ice breaks apart, the clione will follow the chunks out to sea.

Last edited:

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
What, thats not a Manaphy. Faked me out.

I'm surprised the poke isn't water/ice though. The japanese name for these animals is basically "ice angel," as they prefer cold water and even follow drifting glaciers.

Hmmyes but the Pokedex says that its "born on a cold seafloor" so that would make it abit more close to these "ice angel"... thats why you had to take the Manaphy egg from Pokemon Ranger to Diamond/Pearl, Sinnoh is a cold place...

I hate using the Wii to type this out.
GAWD!

scythemantis

Creepy crawly
That makes sense at least.

Just wish the pokemon made them carnivores :p

Gorebyss is cute too, but its pokedex is wicked :D

Its strange how they made a hunting/killing fish into two such babyish little pokemon. The Sea Angel is kind of cool, I have to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.