• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
@PLANES CURE TOWERS: And you're an immature, vile little snot who can't back up his arguments with actual arguments so instead just resorts to trolling.

@eBay Huckster: Yes, men being unable to report to the authorities when a woman rapes them because they're afraid they'll be accused of 'enjoying it' is child's play. Women being taken at their word over men in domestic violence and sexual assault issues is child's play. Men often being sentenced to more time in jail for the same crimes women commit is child's play. Men not being able to get a fair trial in terms of child custody is child's play. It being socially acceptable to laugh about a man's penis being cut off but not about a woman being raped is child's play. ...Oh, wait. No, those are huge issues. You're just a biased idiot who's determined to be a victim.

@kochoupink: Funny. I didn't see anyone debunk my complaints. All I saw was people getting butthurt and choosing to insult me instead of having rational debates. Stop painting yourself as such a victim. It's not going to get anyone anywhere. Women and men both get issues, and I admit women get more issues than men. Ignore sexist pieces of filth who only care about you for your looks or think you're incapable because you're a woman. Or go to the press about it. But don't think everyone is out to get you, because they're not. Like I've said (about three times now, I think), I've never seen a feminist get angry on behalf of a man's rights being violated. If you can point me to one that does, I'll admit that the word 'feminist' CAN entail equality with some people.

Fist of all I didn't insult you or get butt hurt so...

Also you just started insulting them back so your no better sir.

BoxedLunch

@eBay Huckster: I didn't know there was a 'context' for someone saying discrimination against men was child's play. I'm sure if I'd said discrimination against women was child's play, you'd be flailing and crying all over the place. Ah, sexism. Also, nice to know news of my infraction is spreading like that. Professional modding at its finest, I see. "lol i ttotly showd taht boxdlunch seixst lol."

@PLANES CURE TOWERS: I think you might do better on 4chan. All you can do is quote memes and videos to get your point across.

@1rkhachatryan: Maybe because I'm getting tired of constantly being insulted and called a MRA for daring to have an opinion against someone they idolize.

John Madden

resident policy guy
@eBay Huckster: I didn't know there was a 'context' for someone saying discrimination against men was child's play.

I LITERALLY POSTED "I'm acting like men's issues are child's play in comparison", as in "to what women face"

what the hell are you reading because it's clearly not what I'm actually posting

BoxedLunch

No, I'm acting like men's issues are child's play in comparison, and they are.
Call me crazy, but it sure sounds like you're saying men's issues are child's play there...

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean. I apologize. However, calling them child's play in comparison is in extremely poor taste, I think. Again, I really don't see how victimizing women is going to help anything. It's just going to bring more of a bridge between the two genders.

@1rkhachatryan: Maybe because I'm getting tired of constantly being insulted and called a MRA for daring to have an opinion against someone they idolize.
Just wanna point out that I have literally no idea who on earth you're talking about but your viewpoints and comments that I've read amongst your other effortposts in this thread would literally be right at home on reddit.

Getting my point across is useless anyway, given that eBay_Huckster is posting valid points towards you are you are apparently incapable of replying to him without sounding even worse. Why on earth would anyone bother putting effort into someone that clearly isn't going to even understand a different viewpoint to their own?

As a complete aside, do you own a fedora or swords?

John Madden

resident policy guy
call me crazy, but it sure sounds like i'm implying they're less serious than women's issues????? which you would only deny if you have no sense of scale?????

(also i'm enjoying how you're saying i "idolize" sarkeesian when i haven't watched any of the videos, didn't donate to her kickstarter, and generally am not showing any signs of idolizing her that would not also imply that i'm idolizing literally everyone who doesn't share your views. sorry no one's buying into your "but i'm totally not an MRA even though everything i post is fresh off the presses of reddit" spiel i guess)

Last edited:

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
@PLANES CURE TOWERS: And you're an immature, vile little snot who can't back up his arguments with actual arguments so instead just resorts to trolling.

@eBay Huckster: Yes, men being unable to report to the authorities when a woman rapes them because they're afraid they'll be accused of 'enjoying it' is child's play. Women being taken at their word over men in domestic violence and sexual assault issues is child's play. Men often being sentenced to more time in jail for the same crimes women commit is child's play. Men not being able to get a fair trial in terms of child custody is child's play. It being socially acceptable to laugh about a man's penis being cut off but not about a woman being raped is child's play. ...Oh, wait. No, those are huge issues. You're just a biased idiot who's determined to be a victim.

@kochoupink: Funny. I didn't see anyone debunk my complaints. All I saw was people getting butthurt and choosing to insult me instead of having rational debates. Stop painting yourself as such a victim. It's not going to get anyone anywhere. Women and men both get issues, and I admit women get more issues than men. Ignore sexist pieces of filth who only care about you for your looks or think you're incapable because you're a woman. Or go to the press about it. But don't think everyone is out to get you, because they're not. Like I've said (about three times now, I think), I've never seen a feminist get angry on behalf of a man's rights being violated. If you can point me to one that does, I'll admit that the word 'feminist' CAN entail equality with some people.

Thank you for proving the fact that you really do just parrot the talking points from /r/MensRights. Survey says you're a mysogynist dickweasel. Thanks for playing.

BoxedLunch

@PLANES CURE TOWERS: No, I just think that unless I'm agreeing with what everyone says to me, I'm not listening to anything they say. Sorry, buddy, but that's not how debating works.

@eBay Huckster: So what? Why not have a group of people solely dedicated to fixing discrimination instead of separating and alienating different genders? The staff dedicated towards women's rights would of course by bigger than the part dedicated towards male's rights, but at least it would prevent anyone who tries to get some male's rights issues fixed from being called a sexist.

@Pesky Persian: Survey says you're whiny and annoyed because I don't agree with your views. Not that I'm surprised. Oh, and this just proves the point I was making to eBay Huckster. Anyone who dares point out that women aren't the only ones who get discriminated against is automatically sexist.

THRILLHO

nothin' at all
"misandry" is nonsense because to be legitimately surpressed you have to be getting shat on by a group in a position of power (a position of power which women don't have in our patriarchal society). misogyny is a very real issue in comparison to misandry.

living without equal pay, constantly fearing for safety, etc, are much real-er problems than spermjacking, or whatever the hell else anti-feminists think is a problem

and before you say you're not anti feminism, let me quote this thing

http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-adm...op-turning-it-into-a-self+fulfilling-prophecy
Part One: Why Feminism Has "Fem" in the Name, or, Why Can't We All Just Be Humanists?

I wish, more than anything, that I could just be a "humanist." Oh, man, that would be amazing! Because that would mean that we lived in a magical world where all humans were born on equal footing, and maybe I could live in a house shaped like a big mushroom and birds would help me get dressed or something. Humanism is a gorgeous dream, and something to strive for. In fact, it is the exact thing that feminism is striving for right now (and has been working on for decades)! Yay, feminism!

Unfortunately, the reason that "fem" is a part of the word "feminism" is that the world is not, currently, an equal, safe, and just place for women (and other groups as well—in its idealized form, intersectional feminism seeks to correct all those imbalances). To remove the gendered implications of the term is to deny that those imbalances exist, and you can't make problems disappear just by changing "feminism" to "humanism" and declaring the world healed. That won't work.

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
@eBay Huckster: I didn't know there was a 'context' for someone saying discrimination against men was child's play. I'm sure if I'd said discrimination against women was child's play, you'd be flailing and crying all over the place. Ah, sexism. Also, nice to know news of my infraction is spreading like that. Professional modding at its finest, I see. "lol i ttotly showd taht boxdlunch seixst lol."

@PLANES CURE TOWERS: I think you might do better on 4chan. All you can do is quote memes and videos to get your point across.

That's not the point lol. You can't talk about people who insult you and then go and do the same thing back. It makes you no better. Also we aren't idolizing anybody by defending them.

John Madden

resident policy guy
@eBay Huckster: So what? Why not have a group of people solely dedicated to fixing discrimination instead of separating and alienating different genders?

We already have one. They're called feminists.

(And last I checked, I was male and wasn't alienated by anyone I know professing to be a feminist.)

Last edited:

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
@PLANES CURE TOWERS: No, I just think that unless I'm agreeing with what everyone says to me, I'm not listening to anything they say. Sorry, buddy, but that's not how debating works.

@eBay Huckster: So what? Why not have a group of people solely dedicated to fixing discrimination instead of separating and alienating different genders? The staff dedicated towards women's rights would of course by bigger than the part dedicated towards male's rights, but at least it would prevent anyone who tries to get some male's rights issues fixed from being called a sexist.

@Pesky Persian: Survey says you're whiny and annoyed because I don't agree with your views. Not that I'm surprised. Oh, and this just proves the point I was making to eBay Huckster. Anyone who dares point out that women aren't the only ones who get discriminated against is automatically sexist.

Anyone who pulls the fake sexual assault card and tells women to "just ignore" sexual harassment is in fact a misogynist douchecanoe. This is fact.

BoxedLunch

You know what? I'm done with all of you. Call me a sore loser who won't admit he's wrong or a sexist if you want, but I doubt anyone could argue points with so many people at once when they're so determined to misconstrue someone's comments. I came here to give an opinion about a person I consider to be ripping others off. Here's an example of a male I thought was doing the exact same thing: James Rolfe. So, yeah. Has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman. I should've listened to people's warnings about not pissing off feminists or supporters of this woman seriously, especially when mods like Ellie get involved. It really is amazing how biased and blind you all are. Blah-blah-blah, I'm wrong but won't admit it, whatever other generic crap you can all think of. Have a fun day.

John Madden

resident policy guy
actually it just sounds like you couldn't actually back anything up throughout the thread and now the Dogpiling has Reached Critical Mass

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmm, this was mostly a pile of happiness the last few pages.

Please get back to the topic of the video itself, and let's hope that this thread lasts maybe a couple pages before we go back to insulting each other. It's little wonder she disabled comments if this is the sort of stuff that results, and this isn't even youtube. (Then again, is it much better? You tell me).

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Hmm, this was mostly a pile of happiness the last few pages.
I don't get it, is that sarcasm?

Please get back to the topic of the video itself, and let's hope that this thread lasts maybe a couple pages before we go back to insulting each other. It's little wonder she disabled comments if this is the sort of stuff that results, and this isn't even youtube. (Then again, is it much better? You tell me).
No, no it's not. Actually, it's genius that she disabled the comments, this topic is so down the middle. Part of me agrees with her greatly and believe that human equality is possible. There is the other part of me feels so guilty to the point that I can't lift a finger and I'm certain many other people feel similar and are expressing it in different ways (the flagging of the video the first time it was uploaded for example). I know feminism is a serious problem and has to be stopped but I wish there was a way it was put less bluntly. Then again, is there another way? Quietly and slowly slipping gender neutral things into the media?

Mother, I am not guilty...

Last edited:

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Bad word choice due to lack of sleep strikes again!

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
what? i hope you just got your words confused here

If he meant that the face of feminism, especially on the Internet, is often seen as "sexist loons who hate all men (optional: and probably are this way because of a broken heart)," then yes, that is definitely a problem.

And this thread actually kinda helps show off why that's a problem. I loathe seeing it, but it's a kind of mutant educational tool.

It's little wonder she disabled comments if this is the sort of stuff that results, and this isn't even youtube. (Then again, is it much better? You tell me).

Of course it's not any better. Sadly, we are still on the community end of the Internet... where it generally seems that the only the free exchange of bad ideas takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.