• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Video Tropes vs Women in Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Well it sure is nice to see that the point of her videos has flown over the heads of tons of people yet again.

Also I have to keep laughing at how everyone seems to bring up the fact her videos have comments disabled as a bad thing. She's still completely open to critique; she just doesn't want derogatory comments (I would too if I had people tell me they hoped I got raped) on the videos page. She still allows response videos, right? There are still other avenues to discuss.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I've always wanted to be able to write my name in the snow.
They have a machine for this.
Part of me agrees with her greatly and believe that human equality is possible.
It isn't possible, one side is always going to be favored over the other. Whether it's gender, race, sexual orientation and so on.

I don't mind the disable comments on vid too much. I wish they weren't though, it's not really stopping people from saying the same things elsewhere and I'm sure that some interesting comments will pop up. That said, she's a critic and blogger and open to criticism. Not that what people are saying is right.

Last edited:

auteur

Fossil freak
It isn't possible, one side is always going to be favored over the other. Whether it's gender, race, sexual orientation and so on.
Complete equality is impossible to achieve, it's utopic. But utopia is important. Its revitalizing impulse is something that makes us (humanity) go forward. We can't do without it. So, even if we don't reach the desired equality, at least we'll be closer to it. That's why I think feminism is important, and it has my complete support.

Well it sure is nice to see that the point of her videos has flown over the heads of tons of people yet again.

Also I have to keep laughing at how everyone seems to bring up the fact her videos have comments disabled as a bad thing. She's still completely open to critique; she just doesn't want derogatory comments (I would too if I had people tell me they hoped I got raped) on the videos page. She still allows response videos, right? There are still other avenues to discuss.

How generous of her.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Of course it's not any better. Sadly, we are still on the community end of the Internet... where it generally seems that the only the free exchange of bad ideas takes place.

Atcually it is better, if only for the fact that youtube comments are very confusing to respond too and get unorganized easily. Plus they have a limit of 500 characters...so little e.e...

At least here we can see the arguements much more clearly.

Anybody have a link to the video? I don't like reading transcrptions, I'd rather see what she means.

If I have to though, I will read the transcript, I'm just asking if it's back up.

Too the person who said equality is immpossible, I can agree, but don't take that as a reason to not try.

As close to a utopia as we can get is the goal.
I mean, I'm not aiming for a perfect life, but I want it to be as good as possible, same thing here.

Last edited:

Kreis

Still Dirrty
I just deleted a couple of posts that were off-topic, please don't do it again.

And Parachomp, if you make another "I feel so guilty, bawwwwk" post again, I will infract you. Stop it.

Don't reply to this post, PM a mod of this section if you have a question.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Honestly on her videos for every well thought out comment there would be dozens of "lol get back in the kitchen" comments, and that would really clog down any sort of discussion that's to be had, even for a youtube comments section.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I doubt I'd let people do video responses to my videos so I think it really is tbh.

Well, it is a communications channel. And theoretically, it's a lot harder to actually say that you hope a person has horrible things happen to them than it is to type it while, in either case, not fearing repercussions.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Aw sh**sky! Now I'm going to get an infraction if I slip up...

Okay, I've come ot of meditation. Being blant and lacking explanation in the videos aside, am I the only one who didn't like the fact that she used examples fromp different continents? I know gender equality is something the entire world has to work on but no less which cultures are going to watch this? Not to mention there are other culture's opinions of foreigners (no offence to Anita or any of you guys).

Is there really anything to talk about? We were shown what's demeaning to the female gender and how so just like the previous video and most likely the ten more to come. Are they at least truthful? The majority of it is (have to stretch the truth here and there). That said now that we know what's wrong, we along with the developers now have to change what we did "wrong" to appeal to a gender balanced community. There's nothing to argue for (since what has needed to be stated has been stated) or against (which is going against truth).

I doubt I'd let people do video responses to my videos so I think it really is tbh.

That says more about your support of censorship than it does her magnanimity.

Not to mention I don't think she actually has the intellectual or legal right to prevent video responses.

Ze DreamGirl

Future Vaporeon
Correct me if I'm wrong but...aren't Pokemon games actually exempt of the use of negative tropes for female characters ?

ParaChomp

be your own guru
That says more about your support of censorship than it does her magnanimity.

Not to mention I don't think she actually has the intellectual or legal right to prevent video responses.
As stated before, knowing the garbage responses that are going on in general it was a better idea to not allow video responses and comments. Would you want your YouTube inbox to be swamped with hate mail? This isn't stopping response videos but Anita's smart enough to ignore them and continue believing in her passion.

TV Tropes' forums has an excellent discussion about this going on, really calmed me down...

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Correct me if I'm wrong but...aren't Pokemon games actually exempt of the use of negative tropes for female characters ?

For the most part yes as we have some pretty bad *** female characters and there aren't many damsel in distresses. It's more so the guys who always need to be saved xD.

As stated before, knowing the garbage responses that are going on in general it was a better idea to not allow video responses and comments. Would you want your YouTube inbox to be swamped with hate mail? This isn't stopping response videos but Anita's smart enough to ignore them and continue believing in her passion.

That's got **** all to do with what I said.

Peter Quill

star-lord
@Pat

I literally have no idea how you managed to pull out how I support censorship from that. It's not like Sarkeesian is refusing for people to have any sort of commentary on her videos. If she was going around and taking videos down that uses her material for copyright I could understand how you would think there's a support for censorship but... no. Nor do I understand how the legal right to prevent video responses is at all relevant considering that youtube gives you the option to disable them. She has all the right she needs considering that youtube allows it. Intellectual right is something idgaf about and you can make as many arguments as you see fit.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I would have thought so too, but apparently others would not agree

Pokemon series:

-Beauty queens typical blondes who usually have weak pokemon
-The women tend to have sexually suggestive poses, like the Ace Trainers in BW which are presented with the female character bending down so that the gamer gets a good look at their bum. Meanwhile the male Ace Trainers are shown in a dominant standing positions. Additionally the outfits for women Ace Trainers are also highly sexual in nature, kinda reminds me of prostitutes.
-The battle girl teams often remind me of butch and femme lesbians for some reason. I think the more butch ones tend to say things like "I failed to protect so and so" or something like that.
-The earlier games often featured girls who hated bugs, which is very stereotypical.
-Almost all of the girls prefer to use cute, pink pokemon and say things like "I may have lost but my pokemon is still cute" and "my pokemon is cute and strong."
-The fact that the "young couples" in the game are always a plain looking guy with a pretty blonde, altra femme and when they are shown the femme always has one of her legs thrown into the air for all to see.
-In general the pokemon games tend to focus on blonde stereotypical versions of women.

@Pat

I literally have no idea how you managed to pull out how I support censorship from that. It's not like Sarkeesian is refusing for people to have any sort of commentary on her videos. If she was going around and taking videos down that uses her material for copyright I could understand how you would think there's a support for censorship but... no. Nor do I understand how the legal right to prevent video responses is at all relevant considering that youtube gives you the option to disable them. She has all the right she needs considering that youtube allows it. Intellectual right is something idgaf about and you can make as many arguments as you see fit.

1. Because you said you wouldn't allow video responses to your work. You made no mention of copyright (and briefly repeating the words of someone ad verbatim via webcam is not a copyright AFAIK). You openly admit you'd bar one of the primary (in the days of youtube) forms of responding (be it legitimately or "troll-like") to your opinions. That's pretty censorious. If you had the right to do so, which I don't think you do.

2. We're discussing your theoretical choice to not allow people to respond to your work. I haven't mentioned Sarkeesian's thoughts and beliefs on doing so.

3. It's relevant because I don't think she has the legal right to prevent people responding to her work via video. How can anyone have the right (legal or morallY) to prevent you sitting in front of your webcam and discussing content?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.