• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Virtual Reality Open-world Pokemon Game?

Gujarish

Hello everyone,,
So recently I've seen this anime called Sword Art Online. I'm sure some of you have heard of it. If you haven't, this is the synopsis: "In the near future, a Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online has been released where players can control their avatars through brain waves using technology called 'NerveGear.'"

There has been a lot of talk recently about an actual game being created in 10-20 years that can perform exactly like the game in the anime. There has been some progress with the Oculus Rift, and etc. But after seeing the show, I've been obsessed with a concept: What if there was a VRMMORPG (such a long acronym) for Pokemon? If the technology was available, it could be a reality.
Not only that, but it would be an open-world game.

Here are some pictures of a graphically enhanced Pokemon game to give you an idea: imgur.(com)/gallery/Z9jNn
However, the pictures above only suggest a regular game, not a virtual reality one.

Would any of you play it? Do you think it would be successful? (I sort of feel like this is an stupid question)

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
Virtual reality as an invention is great, but when the line between illusion/fantasy and reality is blurred by someone/something else (instead of our conscious choice to use imagination) it's at risk of being abused also. Imagine government spying on your brainwaves through nervegear and developing a way to control them... erm, back to the topic: A virtual realistic paradise is great, but there's a risk people would neglect their responsibility to their friends, family and take care of pets in real world if games became that realistic. Be it Pokemon or anything else. Thus, I would be tempted but I'd refuse to play it. Having a device you can ditch anytime is more humane and safe choice: there's clear boundary between game and reality, the blurring of it is up to choice of using your imagination.

But I think it would still attract masses and succeed to become popular. If it remained successful would depend on how well the game would be developed.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If it'll take 10-20 years for a game like SAO to be a reality, it'll take 30-40 years for a Pokemon game. Game Freak and TPC are lightyears behind the curve on just about any type of change within the industry and are especially averse to cutting edge technology, so it'll take them MUCH longer to get to this. Yes, I'd love to see this happen, I can't imagine a Pokemon game better than that, but the way Game Freak and TPC are now, you'd have to wonder if they'll ever be capable of making such a game.