• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Visions Of Fate (PG-14)

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
If you aimed for me to have seen that however, maybe more... hints could have been used...

I was aiming to hint at it in a veiled sort of way without giving it away flatly. I tend to do that unless it's a proper revelation. Speaking of which, there's one coming very soon...

Ooh, nice little poem there. It's very clear that this will be very important later on, and you confirmed that in one of your posts.

As I said earlier, I don't often say things flatly, but the last two lines are very obvious references to Shadow Pokemon... although, Rarutos can't be expected to know that, having never heard about them in her life.

BTW, when I post a filler you'll know it, because I'll say 'Filler Chapter One' or something at the start of the post. Otherwise, every chapter will advance the plot in some way, disguised or not.

~GG~

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
I've been a bit busy lately, what with emails and getting a new computer and rewriting my latest upcoming one-shot at least six times. Here's the next chapter; I did my best to stop it seeming like a filler.

Chapter Seven

Connection

Rarutos​

“Look!”

I opened my eyes blearily to find that it was morning and a piece of paper was waving back and forth an inch from my face. I recoiled and blinked hard, trying to focus on the paper. The mass of black lines on the paper resolved themselves into a black and white drawing of a swimming human, along with letters and numbers I could not understand.

My eyes locked onto the pale hand gripping the poster and followed it up an arm, finally reaching Marisa’s excited face. I reached out and pushed the paper away.

“Could you please not wake me up like that again?”

Marisa blushed and lowered the poster. “Sorry. But doesn’t it sound good?”

“It would if I could read it.”

“Oh, you can’t read?”

I sighed. “I said that Pokemon are intelligent. I didn’t say that we learn the same things that humans do. I can’t read your letters and numbers unless you teach me. In the wild we have no need for writing or reading.”

“Oh.” Blushing more furiously, Marisa lifted the paper to hide her face. “It’s an announcement for a fair in Pastoria City. Entry is free and there are going to be stalls, battles and swimming competitions. Even the Gym Leader of that town is going to be participating! I think we should go.”

I concealed a yawn with one hand and rubbed my eyes with the other. “Have you considered that by the time we arrive, the fair may be over?”

Marisa glanced back down at the paper. “No, it doesn’t start until tomorrow! And the nurses said you can leave the hospital as soon as you feel strong enough, so we can be there by the time it starts.” She folded the paper and crammed it into her pocket. “So… do you feel strong enough?”

I stretched my arms and legs. My body no longer ached from Lucario’s attacks, my nausea was gone and my cough had subsided somewhat; in fact, I felt nearly back to normal. I shoved the blanket back. “I think I’m ready. Are you sure I’m allowed out?”

“Sure!” Marisa said cheerfully. “As long as you teleport out and wait for me on the other side of the window. I’ll come around and get you.”

My misgivings increased tenfold but I tried to ignore them. After all, there was no reason for me to stay. I nodded, took a deep breath and allowed my body to dissolve into the air, reappearing in a filthy alley on the other side of the window.

A blast of cold air struck me immediately; after the sterile air inside the hospital, it was like a Brick Break attack to my immune system. I resisted the urge to cough, instead rubbing warmth into my arms as I waited for my trainer.

Before long Marisa stepped casually into the alley, pushing her bicycle and trying to look innocent. She leaned the vehicle against the hospital wall and unfolded a soft, mint-green blanket in the basket. “I have to hide you and I don’t want you to get sick again,” she explained as she placed me gently in the basket, folding the material around me so that there was only the tiniest gap to see out of.

I settled down in the basket, making myself comfortable for the ride. The blanket was wonderfully warm and soft. Despite the unsteady rocking motion as Marisa began to pedal, I was soon fast asleep.

*~*~*​

A slight change in the bicycle’s movement brought me back to consciousness. The light streaming into my warm nest was duller, indicating the approach of dusk despite the fact that my internal clock told me it was barely midday. I began to push my way out of the blanket, wanting to know what was happening.

The bicycle slowed to a stop and Marisa’s face appeared above me. “Something wrong?”

“I just want to know what’s going on.” I finally succeeded in sitting up and gazed around myself. We had stopped in the middle of a very muddy area; the bicycle’s wheels sank deep into the sloppy ground, barely supported by the few patches of scrubby grass. There were a few black-barked trees scattered sparsely about, most of them ugly, squat, twisted things like misshapen monsters.

I glanced skyward and the reason for the darkness was revealed. The sky was steadily filling with dark clouds and the breeze was increasing, heralding the imminent arrival of a storm.

Marisa glanced up. “That’s why I stopped. We don’t want to be riding in the rain again. If we stay under the trees I think we can keep reasonably dry.”

I eyed the twisted trees apprehensively. “They won’t give much shelter.”

“That’s why you’re staying in the blanket,” Marisa told me. She slid off her seat, landing in the mud with a squelching sound, and wheeled the bicycle into a shelter formed by the interwoven branches of two contiguous trees. She had barely leaned the vehicle against one of the trees when the storm broke over us, sending torrents of rain spilling down to churn up the already-muddy ground.

Marisa shivered and lifted me into her arms, protecting me from the rain with her own body. I blinked up at her, stunned. How could she be so protective of me when she knows I would willingly leave her to freeze?

As I gazed up at my trainer, watching her begin to tremble with cold as the rain soaked through her clothes and drenched her hair, I felt myself coming to a realization.

I wouldn’t leave her. Marisa is fast becoming my closest friend. She’s almost like a sister to me. If I had to protect her, I would do it willingly. Maybe I wouldn’t give my life for her, but I would certainly do almost anything else to save her.

Marisa’s grip tightened on the blanket as she sank down to sit on a knot in the tree trunk. I knew she was not only holding me to keep me dry; she was also trying to use my own body heat to keep herself warm. I struggled my way out of the blanket’s folds so I could see the ground, chose a dry spot and summoned my strength again.

Marisa gasped as a ball of blue flame began to form between my hands. I aimed and sent it soaring at the spot I had chosen, where it struck and exploded into a roaring fire. Immediately my trainer crouched before the blaze and began feeding dry wood into it. I drew the blanket around myself again and huddled into her chest to wait out the storm.

A jagged bolt of lightning split the sky, briefly illuminating the route with a stark white flash. Almost immediately afterward, a deafening crash of thunder roared its fury at the world, causing Marisa to cringe and whimper quietly. “I hate storms,” she whispered over the driving rain. “Maybe we shouldn’t have stopped under a tree. What if lightning strikes?”

If lightning strikes and one of these trees falls on us, we’ll die. It’s the undeniable force of nature. But I can hardly tell her that, can I?

“If lightning strikes, I’ll reflect it with telekinesis,” I assured her, painfully aware that I was neither strong enough nor fast enough to follow through with this promise.

Marisa smiled feebly and hugged me. The firelight cast flickering shadows on her pale, frightened face. “Thank you.”

A powerful blast of wind sent embers skittering across the drenched ground, at the same time causing Marisa to shriek and fall backward onto her rear. She started to get up and changed her mind. “My clothes are ruined already,” she sighed, glancing down at the extremely muddy orange shorts.

“Wrap the blanket around both of us,” I suggested, but Marisa responded with a shake of her head.

“No. You’ll get cold and the rain will just soak through and make me even colder. It’s better this way.”

I made myself comfortable in the blanket and listened to the forceful storm. Before long Marisa began to tremble, but she just edged closer to the fire and turned her back on it so I didn’t get too hot. The wind howled, thunder roared, lightning flashed and rain hammered down, but I was safe in my warm nest. I slipped into a doze as I listened to nature’s rage and eventually drifted to sleep properly.

*~*~*​

The first thing I became aware of upon waking was the silence. I could hear no sign of the storm. I experienced a moment of terror at the thought that maybe lightning had struck and I was dead, but when I reached out in the darkness my hand met a soft resistance. I felt around me, pushing with arms and legs, until I finally remembered that I was in a blanket in Marisa’s arms.

I carefully extricated myself from the blanket and crawled out into the damp afternoon air. The sky was still filled with clouds, but they looked considerably lighter after spilling their contents down on the world. The sun rode low in the sky, indicating that it was nearly evening. My fire had been extinguished and Marisa was curled up in the mud beside where it had been, her breathing slow and steady as she slept.

“Marisa.”

The girl slept on, oblivious to my call.

“Hey, Marisa!”

Still there was no response. I took a deep breath and bellowed at the top of my lungs, “Get yourself out of the mud this minute unless you want to be eating it!

Marisa bolted upright, staring around frantically to find the source of the yell. I waved one hand to attract her attention. “Down here,” I said cheerfully.

A look of irritation crossed her face, quickly replaced with surprise. “What are we doing here?” she asked, once again taking in the trees and mud that made up the entire route.

“There was a storm,” I reminded her. “We stopped to wait it out. We both fell asleep.”

Marisa scratched her hair, which was stiff with filth. “Oh. I guess I forgot. We’d better get moving again if we want to get to the city by tonight.”

“We aren’t going to get there by tonight,” I pointed out.

My trainer heaved a sigh and dragged herself out of the mud. “Is there a river or a lake around here? I should wash this off.” Without waiting for my answer she reached into her pocket. A few seconds and a burst of light later, her shy Stunky was once again standing before us.

“Can you find me a river?” Marisa asked, crouching down to him.

Sutanu immediately charged away through the trees and Marisa replaced the sodden blanket in her bicycle basket. “Come on, Raru. Let’s follow him.”

I teleported myself into the basket as Marisa began to push the contraption through the sloppy environment. Before long we caught up with Sutanu, who had stopped at the edge of a wide lake. After leaning her vehicle against another tree, Marisa bent down to pet him.

“Good boy,” she said. “Now, can you and Rarutos keep an eye out for anyone approaching? Try to chase them off and spray them if you have to.”

Sutanu positioned himself near the trees to keep watch. I joined him, even though I found it rather pointless to keep watch for Marisa. After all, she was only bathing. It wasn’t as though that was illegal in human society.

I glanced back at Marisa. Her backpack was lying at the edge of the lake and she was in the water, trying to comb the mud out of her hair with her fingers. Her dirty clothes lay in a heap at the water’s edge.

I returned to my watch and abruptly noticed something lying near a tree. Ignoring Sutanu, I teleported closer to examine it. The sunlight reflected off its smooth, shiny surface; it was an aluminum can, the sort that Marisa had bought in Veilstone City and eaten out of. I reached toward it and my hand touched the smooth surface.

Immediately a rushing sound filled my ears and my mind was swamped by a vision. I collapsed in the mud, the can clutched to my chest, my entire body shaking convulsively.

*~*~*​

A dark-skinned boy, about Marisa’s age, walked along with a thoughtful look in his eyes. A small black-and-blue-furred canine clung to his shoulder, bladed paws gripping whatever they could to stay on, pointed ears aimed attentively at his master.

“How did you know I was thinking about Selena?” the boy asked, his muddy green eyes on the Riolu’s ruby ones.

*~*~*​

A low moan escaped my mouth as I shuddered, in the grips of the vision. Marisa scrambled out of the water, crying my name in panic, but I was deaf to her yells.

*~*~*​

A young man stood in a bare, filthy hotel room, ignoring his surroundings as he wound a belt around his hand. “Kneel down,” he ordered coldly.

The small creature before him trembled as she obeyed. Her back to the man, she bent her slender green legs and knelt on the rough wooden floor, her miniskirt-like garb spreading around her. She bowed her head, allowing her lime-green hair to fall around her face and conceal her frightened garnet eyes.

The man raised his hand and brought the belt down hard. Kirlia screamed as the leather ripped into her flesh, but she immediately bit her lip and fell silent. She closed her eyes tightly and endured the pain as though she deserved it, allowing the belt to strike her again and again.

“Master, please…” she whimpered. The man, unable to understand her, ignored her.

“Maybe this will teach you not to be weak!” he bellowed. “This is what happens when you lose! That’s twice you’ve lost to the Elite Four… if it happens again you’ll get a worse punishment!”

One last blow knocked Kirlia onto her face on the ground. Unable to hold herself silent any longer, she sobbed aloud with the pain and despair. The man turned his back on her as he buckled his belt around his waist.

“You don’t deserve to eat tonight,” he said softly as he walked away. The hotel room door opened and closed behind him, leaving Kirlia alone in the room.

The small Pokemon’s breath was panting as she levered herself up painfully on all fours. Her back burned with the pain and she could feel rivulets of warm blood trickling from the wounds. She managed to crawl halfway across the room, leaving a trail of blood behind her, to reach a tall mirror against the wall.

Hesitantly, Kirlia turned her back to the mirror to see the wounds. She bit back a gasp of despair and hid her eyes; she could not even look at the injuries without feeling ill. Trying to ignore the pain, she reached up and tugged at the edge of a dirty grey T-shirt hanging down from the bed. It fell to the floor and she carefully drew it around her, pressing the material against her wounds to stem the flow of blood.

As Kirlia hesitantly settled herself on the floor, her back to the wall, she felt tears well up in her eyes. She cried very rarely but sometimes, especially after a beating, she found that she could not hold her despair inside any longer. Despite her attempts to suppress her tears, they spilled down her pale cheeks and fell onto the bloodstained floor.

“I want to go home,” Kirlia sobbed.

*~*~*​

I dragged in a ragged breath and opened my eyes to find Marisa leaning over me. I blinked in surprise; she was cradling me in her arms, her body covered only by the filthy blanket that she had wrapped around herself. “Are you all right?” she asked, concerned.

“Yes…” I said cautiously. “Why? What happened?”

“You collapsed,” Marisa explained. “How do you feel? Are you dizzy or nauseous?”

I shook my head; I felt perfectly healthy. “I’m fine. It was just…” I hesitated, unsure if I should tell her that I had been having visions. I decided against it and said instead, “I’m a bit dehydrated.”

Marisa looked like she was going to punch herself. “I’m sorry! This is what Maylene said… I need to take better care of you. I’ve been so stupid.” She carried me to the water’s edge, crouched down and collected some of the clear, pure water in her cupped hand.

“I can drink by myself,” I protested, pushing her hands away.

“Sorry.” I could see the anxiety in Marisa’s eyes as she placed me gently on the ground. Aware of her eyes on my back, I knelt at the edge and scooped some of the water into my mouth. Behind me, Marisa began searching through her backpack to find her clean clothes.

“Keep watch, Sutanu,” she said as she ducked behind a tree to get dressed.

Sutanu, obviously taking his guarding duties seriously, planted his paws apart and glared down the path. I glanced between him and Marisa’s tree.

Why is it so important that no one sees her?” I demanded. “Pokemon don’t care. Why should humans?

Don’t ask me,” Sutanu said. “It just makes me feel special when I have something important to do.

I toyed with the idea of telling him how insignificant one tiny Stunky really was, compared to the wide universe, but decided against it. I had promised Marisa that I wouldn’t upset him. Instead, I crossed my arms and waited impatiently until Marisa emerged from behind the tree, fully clothed.

“All right,” she announced, clapping her hands together once. “Before we leave, we should eat.”

I agree with that!” Sutanu said eagerly.

I shrugged. “Fine with me.”

Aurikara​

I raced along a dark alley, my paws flying over the filthy ground, my breath tearing at my throat as I pushed myself to my limits. Tears trickled down my cheeks; I knew my escape attempts were useless, I knew they would catch me again in the end, but it was against my nature to give up hope.

I reached a corner and turned sharply, darting through a side street and onto a busy main road. The endless stream of cars kept coming even through the night, but that was no obstacle to me. I crouched low and sprang directly over a forest-green van to land on the other side of the road. I briefly glimpsed the driver’s startled expression as I fled along the sidewalk, dodging the occasional human and easily outstripping the cars.

I raced down another alley and skidded to an abrupt halt; my path had ended in a cul-de-sac. I spun around, desperate for escape, but two roaring motorcycles were bearing down upon me. My golden-furred back hit the wall as I gazed at them in terror, watching the black-clad riders dismount their vehicles and approach me. I could see my reflection in the helmets of the pair: my red eyes, wild with terror; my long ears, drooping from their erect positions; my panting mouth, from which froth was trailing along my cheeks.

I was helpless. One of the men produced a thick net, woven from near-unbreakable rope, from the sidecar of his motorcycle and prepared to trap me with it. The other levelled a dart gun and fired a tranquillizer dart at my exposed neck.

A high-pitched whimper escaped me as I clutched at the dart protruding from my neck and tore it out, flinging it to the ground. It was too late; my exhaustion had slowed my reflexes and some of the sedative had already entered my bloodstream. I staggered, my mind swimming with tiredness, but snarled fiercely at the men in case they dared to approach. One of my attackers gave a gruff laugh and made a comment to the other in an unfamiliar language.

I stumbled over something on the ground, my body moving more sluggishly as the drug took effect. A deafening clatter filled the alley as I knocked over a garbage can and suddenly I found myself lying in a heap of garbage. The men advanced on me and I quickly discovered what it was like to be completely helpless. I could do nothing but shield my head as the net covered me. As I was dragged away and lifted into the sidecar, all I could do was whimper a plea that the men would never understand or even listen to.

“Don’t make me one of them…”

*~*~*​

I snapped awake with a squeal of terror, which increased dramatically in pitch when I realized that someone was holding me. I flailed and bit ferociously at my captor in a panic.

“Aargh! Aura, stop it!”

Suddenly I found myself colliding hard with the ground. I scrambled to my feet, ignoring the throbbing pain in my ribs, my muscles tense as I prepared to fight. My eyes locked onto a dark, bouncing blot and I lunged at it, but two hands caught me firmly around the waist.

“What’s gotten into you?” Will demanded, lifting me to his face despite my struggles. “I’m sorry I dropped you, but I didn’t expect you to suddenly start attacking me!”

I stopped fighting abruptly as I realized where I was. “Sorry, master,” I said sheepishly. “Bad dream.”

Will immediately glanced up, relaxing visibly when he spotted the gibbous moon riding low in the sky. “It’s not a new moon. It was probably just a normal dream. What was it about?”

He allowed me to climb onto his shoulder as I thought about the dream. The details were slipping away rapidly like water through my fingers. “Darkness,” I said, grasping at the few details I could remember. “It was dark and I was frightened, but I wasn’t me. I was someone else.”

“Who were you?” Will asked. “What did you look like?”

I could remember my dream self a little more clearly than the actual dream. “Big,” I said. “I was bigger, almost as big as you. My ears were longer, my chest was yellow and my mouth was all foamy.”

Will reached up and scratched gently behind my ears. “That doesn’t sound like a nice dream if you were foaming at the mouth. Were you running a lot? Was someone hurting you?”

I couldn’t remember; the details of the dream had evaporated, leaving only the memory of the darkness. “Shadows,” I murmured, concealing a shudder.

“What was that?” Will asked.

“Shadows,” I repeated. “Dark like shadows.”

There was a moment of silence as Will considered my dream. “Well, it wasn’t Darkrai,” he said eventually. “It sounds like the sort of dream Darkrai would send out, but it wouldn’t be active when the moon is out.”

“What’s Darkrai?” I asked, interested.

“It’s a Pokemon that brings nightmares to people on moonless nights. It can’t do anything when the moon is visible in the sky because of its mortal enemy, Cresselia, who keeps it at bay when the moon is out. There are a lot of Legendary Pokemon that not many people have seen and they’re all in charge of something, sort of like demigods under Arceus.”

I considered the dream as Will continued walking. Bane bounded along beside us, occasionally shooting me dirty looks, but I just made myself comfortable on Will’s shoulder and stuck out my tongue at the jealous pig.

“Where are we going?” I asked eventually, noticing the gradual decline in the amount of trees around us.

“I don’t know yet,” Will admitted. “We’re near Lake Valor. There’s a big, fancy hotel around here that’ll probably have a lot of police around it, so we’ll have to circle around it. Once we get onto the beach, we can either go east to Sunyshore City or west to Pastoria City.”

I fell silent again, glancing around at the empty space around us. Will seemed to be getting more and more nervous as we left the trees further behind. He nearly had a heart attack when I finally voiced a question that had been eating away at me for hours.

“Where’s Selena?”

Will started so violently that his feet left the ground; his hand flew to his heart and he drew a choking breath. “Aurikara, don’t do that to me!” he hissed harshly.

I recoiled from his anger. “Sorry…” I whimpered.

Will relaxed and stroked me with one hand. “It wasn’t your fault. I’m just a bit tense. What was your question?”

“Where’s Selena?” I repeated. “Did you leave her with the bad man?”

A faint smile creased the corners of his mouth, but his eyes and his aura emanated sadness. “The ‘bad man’ was my brother, Aura. And no, I didn’t leave her with him.”

“Then where is she?”

Will glanced up at the sky. “It’s a long story, but the ending is pretty simple. Unless someone has adopted her, which is very unlikely, she’ll still be at the orphanage for abandoned Pokemon where my sister left her.”

Abandoned?

“What happened?” I asked hesitantly, unsure if Will would want to tell me.

He kicked at a clump of grass. “I don’t think I’m ready to tell you. Maybe one day I will, but for now…”

“Why didn’t you adopt her?” I pressed. “She knows you. She won’t want someone she doesn’t know to take her away.”

“I know, but I couldn’t adopt her. After the abuse she went through, the police will have a trace on her identification number. There’s a microchip in her arm and the nurses at Pokemon Centers will be scanning it to see if it’s her, then they’ll be checking if she’s been hurt or beaten. If I’d taken her, when they scanned her ID they would have found out that the police were after me.”

He glanced at me and realized that I hadn’t understood a word. “Don’t worry about it,” he sighed. “It just means that I couldn’t have taken her. If she’s lucky she’ll find a new trainer, one who cares for her and treats her well.”

I could see by Will’s expression that he didn’t really believe this, but I didn’t press the subject. As a row of tiny lights became visible in the distance we continued silently through the night, steadily approaching this sign of human civilization.

-- -- --​

Aurikara's aggressive side shows through clearly in his first battle since the Shadow Houndoom.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, I'm finally here.

Good chapter again, and it did seem more important to the plot. I wonder if - and when - Selena will appear in the chapter. The plot's development was easiler to see there, and overall the chapter was quite enjoyable.

Looking back, it really was quite solid - good pacing, events, description, and the favourite scene for mine was the lead up/ the 'flashback' that Rarutos had. Sometimes things... happened a like bit too quickly - such as Rarutos realization that she was 'closer' to Marisa now, and the explanations for why Will couldn't have adopted Selena. Just a little too sudden - could have been written in a slower way. That's somewhat nitpicky however - really was a rather solid chapter, although nothing terribly outstanding. I'd say near outstanding.

Aura's part in this chapter felt a little bit weaker than Rarutos - maybe it's becuase he had less 'airtime', so to speak, and more happened in Raruto's POV. Will seems a bit oblivious to the fact that Aura is 'changing' (coughshadowcough), and the same for Aura - still not even thing to question why the 'police' are after Will. Also, things like motorcycles and such - would Aura know what they are? Maybe it would have been better to describe them in looks, rather than saying what they were. Good atmosphere in those scenes however.

A blast of cold air struck me immediately; after the sterile air inside the hospital, it was like a Brick Break attack to my immune system.
I like that comparison - however... (being super-nitpicky-as-I-am-somewhat-ignoring-the-point-of-the-comparison-in-this-observation) - Brick Break isn't really strong against Psychic types - maybe another move could have been chosen? I do like the choice though. :)
Sutanu positioned himself near the trees to keep watch. I joined him, even though I found it rather pointless to keep watch for Marisa. After all, she was only bathing. It wasn’t as though that was illegal in human society.
Hurrah for Raru missing the point on why Marisa wants privacy when she baths. :)
“Why is it so important that no one sees her?” I demanded. “Pokemon don’t care. Why should humans?”

“Don’t ask me,” Sutanu said. “It just makes me feel special when I have something important to do.”
Simple minds are often easily amused.
On that point, does Sutanu have to speak in Italics? I find it... somewhat odd in this place, given certain factors in this story, and the Pokemon-Trainer relationship aspect that has been a big focus thus far... it is somewhat as if Sutanu is secondary, yet Rarutos is not. Minor, but may be worth considering...

Sorry for the delay (mentioned in in the PM), and looking forward to the next chapter! Note that baring death or the such, I will review (eventually), good or bad.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
I wonder if - and when - Selena will appear in the chapter.

*Cough*Next chapter *cough*

Will seems a bit oblivious to the fact that Aura is 'changing' (coughshadowcough), and the same for Aura - still not even thing to question why the 'police' are after Will.

Will wouldn't really notice; Aura has been like that off and on since he hatched. And he does sometimes ask why he's acting like that. As for Aura, he doesn't really understand what police are and just thinks they're bad people after the incident with Houndoom.

Also, things like motorcycles and such - would Aura know what they are?

Oops... I'll fix that when I've got time. Right now my mother wants me off the computer.

Brick Break isn't really strong against Psychic types - maybe another move could have been chosen?

Forget that little fact for the moment and think that Brick Break shatters barriers. That's what I was focusing on.

On that point, does Sutanu have to speak in Italics? I find it... somewhat odd in this place, given certain factors in this story, and the Pokemon-Trainer relationship aspect that has been a big focus thus far... it is somewhat as if Sutanu is secondary, yet Rarutos is not. Minor, but may be worth considering...

The italics mean that he's speaking his own native tongue. Raru does it too sometmies, but she most often speaks in English telepathy, which is why her words aren't often in italics. I think I mentioned that at the start.

~GG~

Oh, yay, an Aurikara Vision. =D

I enjoyed reading this chapter. I really liked how you made Marisa smart for the first time, and how Will can be easily offended by a simple Pokemon's comment. =P

I wouldn’t leave her. Marisa is fast becoming my closest friend. She’s almost like a sister to me. If I had to protect her, I would do it willingly. Maybe I wouldn’t give my life for her, but I would certainly do almost anything else to save her.
Though I am against Raru's change-of-heart, I really liked this part. It's the first time Raru's sensitive, caring side actually shows. =P

“Why is it so important that no one sees her?” I demanded. “Pokemon don’t care. Why should humans?”
Raru = potential pervert. =))

And, of course, I'm a fan of the visions. They're so vividly detailed, and they're so plot-advancing that it makes you wanna reread them for ten times or so. =D

As usual, great chapter, and I really hope the next chapter comes fast - I couldn't wait for Selena's debut in the story. =D

~> DM

Normalize

Poor Selena, i hope she has found a better home. At least she''s not under his bad ownership any more. I remember something from one of your other fan fics, Looking Back i think, were ther was an abused Gardevoir that was left there. Is she Selena?

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Better late than never.

It's the first time Raru's sensitive, caring side actually shows.

There'll be bits like that scattered throughout the story. Raru doesn't really like to show that she cares, but she does. Although when Aurikara comes into the picture...

Raru = potential pervert. =))

A Pokemon wouldn't understand why humans don't like to be seen without their clothes.

I remember something from one of your other fan fics, Looking Back i think, were ther was an abused Gardevoir that was left there. Is she Selena?

Maybe you should try reading Looking Back again. Claire (not the same one) hasn't been abused or abandoned; in fact, her trainer is taking very good care of her. Or trying to. It's hard to care for someone when they refuse to care for themselves. And Selena will never evolve; she's been hurt too badly to even want to.

~GG~

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
I was absent for over a week due to my email change, then I found this little thing in my junk folder... called a reactivation email. Stupid me... it'd probably been there forever. So now, a week late but finally here, the latest chapter!

Some of you will probably be cheering at the introduction of a much-talked-about new character. Also, I have to point something out to American readers: I refer to fall as autumn, just so you know. And I have not yet decided if winter should be set in June or December, but I’ll let you all know when I decide.

BTW, I apologize very much for the terrible description of Wake. Since he was standing and doing nothing, my description turned out too listy.

Chapter Eight

A Vanishing And A Reappearance

Rarutos​

“Finish it!” Marisa ordered. “Scratch attack!”

I watched from beside my trainer’s feet as Sutanu charged through the choking fog, his wide eyes fixed on his opponent. With a high-pitched squeal, the orange otter skidded away and scrambled quickly to its feet once more. The creature rose up on its stumpy hind legs, its twin tails flicking behind it.

“Aqua Jet!” the other trainer, a boy with scruffy brown hair, commanded.

Buizel bounded at Sutanu on its four light paws, its head tilted back to spit a stream of water at him. The water, despite being too weak to cause injury, sprayed into Sutanu’s eyes; he shook his head to get rid of it, not noticing Buizel’s charge. He skidded back with a furious screech as Buizel slammed its weight into him.

Immediately Buizel leaped back, its dark whiskers twitching as it raised its blue-finned arms dramatically. On its trainer’s command it directed another jet of spray at Sutanu, but the tiny Pokemon darted aside and collided with Buizel.

With a cry of shock and pain, Buizel was tossed helplessly into the broad Pastoria Lake with a small splash. It surfaced almost immediately, the yellow ring around its neck inflating to keep it afloat. Its twin tails began to rotate like a boat’s propeller to push it back to the edge.

As Buizel crawled back onto land, Marisa called Sutanu off and stepped forward to shake the other trainer’s hand. “Good battle,” she said cheerfully.

“You’re tough,” the boy said enviously. “How many badges do you have?”

“None,” Marisa said regretfully. “I’m hoping to beat the Gym Leader of this city, though.”

“Crasher Wake?” The boy looked impressed. “You’re going to challenge him? That guy’s the best trainer I’ve ever seen! You know he swims in that lake every morning, even in winter?”

Marisa apprehensively eyed the lake; the water was cold despite the fact that it was early autumn. “That’s no measure of how strong his Pokemon are, though,” she said firmly. “He could have a single Shellos for all we know.”

The boy shook his head, sending his dark hair flopping about his face. “I’ve seen his Gyarados. It’d be tough to beat.”

Marisa’s face fell. “Oh, okay,” she said dully.

“Bye!” With his seemingly unhurt Buizel bounding by his side, the boy turned and jogged away.

Marisa crouched down to pet Sutanu. “Good boy! You’re getting really strong!”

“What about me?” I demanded, stung. Marisa started; she had apparently forgotten me.

“Of course you’re strong!” she cried, catching me around the waist and swinging me high into the air. I shoved her hands away and she replaced me quickly on the ground before I could electrocute her.

As Marisa began to fuss over Sutanu, I glanced around disdainfully at the town. It was almost as muddy as the route beyond and the distinct smell of a swamp drifted to me from the north and west. It was no wonder that the town was wreathed in a thick early-morning fog. I could dimly make out several houses around us, but no sign of the fair that was supposed to begin in an hour.

“Are you sure this is Pastoria City?” I asked, interrupting Marisa’s monologue of praise.

She glanced around. “Yep, I’m sure. This is the lake people will be swimming in, there’s the fog hanging around and I think I can smell the Pastoria Marsh.” She wrinkled her nose; the smell was quite putrid, almost as bad as Sutanu. “And I saw a sign advertising the fair as we came in last night.”

“Could you have gotten the date wrong?”

Marisa shook her head forcefully. “No! I even asked someone in that Pokemon Center we stayed at last night. It’s definitely today. Maybe they’re just late getting started…”

“Maybe everyone else has forgotten,” I suggested; it seemed like the only plausible explanation.

Her shoulders slumped and she sighed. “Maybe. Let’s go back to our room. If the fair hasn’t stared by this afternoon we’ll keep moving.”

Sutanu and I followed her back to the room she had rented the night before. When the door was closed, Marisa slumped on the single bed and gazed forlornly at the ceiling. Sutanu trailed muddy paw-prints across the floor and settled himself on the rug.

I adopted a post at the window, despite the fact that I could barely see two feet from the glass. It was interesting to watch the outside world from inside a building, especially now that I was not confined to a bed. The window ledge was quite narrow, but I made myself comfortable and allowed my legs to hang over the edge as I gazed outside.

About ten minutes after I had taken my post, something quite startling happened. I immediately noticed the sudden change and stood up so fast that I nearly tumbled off the ledge. “Marisa! Look at this!” I exclaimed, my hands and face pressed against the glass like an overenthusiastic child.

Marisa dragged herself wearily off the bed and approached the window. We both watched in awe as the fog began to dissipate rapidly, revealing the city in its entirety. A few stalls were being set up around the town, their owners unpacking from the backs of vans, but we barely noticed them. Our attention was drawn to the man in the centre of the city.

He was enormous; that was the only word for him. His back was to the lake, his fists raised in the air for emphasis as he watched the fog dissipate. Despite the early-morning chill, his chest was bare. He wore a thin pair of ocean-blue pants, with black padded thighs and orange trim at the waistband and ankles, which would hold in almost no warmth. His feet were encased in boots of the same orange, his wrists with bands of the same colour and a blue similar to that of his pants.

“That guy has no fashion sense,” Marisa whispered.

As the fog cleared away I noticed the dragon thrashing in the lake behind him. It was a gigantic sea serpent, its body ultramarine and saffron, its back edged with spiny white fins at intervals. It raised its vicious-looking head from the water, its wide mouth gaping as it uttered a deafening roar. Its blood-red eyes flashed with never-ending fury and it tossed its head, sending its whisker-like appendages swinging through the air as it projected its energy into the gigantic twister before it.

Oh, Arceus, don’t tell me that’s the famous Crasher Wake and his Gyarados. I have to fight that thing?

The last of the fog vanished into the twister, which immediately settled down and sank into the lake. As the man lowered his arms I noticed his unusual headdress; thin strips of aqua-coloured metal that encircled his head on three sides, with a projection over his eyes that resembled Gyarados’s fins.

The man turned and extended one fist, which I noticed was clutching a plain metallic sphere. Gyarados showed none of its earlier rage as a beam of scarlet light struck it, instantly reducing several hundred pounds of leviathan into glimmering particles of light. Suddenly I was struck by the genius behind the principle of Poke Balls; what else could render such a ferocious beast harmless and weightless in an instant?

I guess humans must be smarter than I give them credit for. Well, some humans, at least.

Marisa and I glanced at each other. Her eyes were glittering and I knew I was wearing an awestruck expression. “Isn’t he incredible?” she whispered. “Controlling such a strong Pokemon… and getting rid of the fog just like that! I can’t wait to battle him!”

My heart sank. So that is Crasher Wake… I’m dead meat.

Marisa leaned over me to see outside properly. “It looks like people are setting up for the fair. I’ll have a shower, then we can go out and see what’s being sold.” Without hesitating she darted out of the room, leaving the door wide open behind her. I knew where she was going; I had already seen the gigantic, steamy room with the tiled walls and floor. I found it quite strange that humans like Marisa, who were scared of thunderstorms, would enjoy shutting themselves into tiny cubicles and having boiling water pour down on them from above. I would much prefer to bathe in a nice, cool stream rather than their ‘showers’.

Sutanu struggled to his feet and waddled to the open door to peer outside. “Where did she go? And why did she leave us behind?

I rolled my eyes. “Do you ever think of anything but Marisa? Do you find her attractive or something?

Sutanu recoiled; he would have blushed if he had been able. “No! I’m just worried. It’s my duty to defend her.

Well, relax, genius, she isn’t going far. She’ll be back in a few minutes.

He shuffled forward, placing one foot outside the door. “I’m going to look for her.

She won’t be happy,” I warned. “That girl has problems with anyone seeing her without her clothes. Anyone would think she’s got something to hide. I wonder if all humans are like that?” I trailed off, considering the question. Marisa was the only human I knew, so I couldn’t compare her to anyone else.

It took a moment for me to realize that Sutanu was gone. “Hey!” I called, sliding off the window ledge and landing on the rug with a thud. “Oof… Sultana, where are you? Come on, I told you she’s fine! Sultana, you imbecile!

There was no response and I heaved a sigh, then set off resolutely after him. Stupid creature… I told him Marisa was fine. I’ll have to chain him to me to stop him from wandering off. I wish I could learn Destiny Bond or Rock Tomb; they’d come in useful.

Once in the hallway, I glanced left and right but could see no sign of Sutanu. He hadn’t even left any paw prints behind to show me his direction. I considered trying to trace his thoughts before I realized that, as a Dark type, his aura would block my telepathy. I reluctantly chose a direction.

I need to put a leash on that skunk,” I grumbled to myself, setting out along the hallway toward the bathroom in the hopes that Sutanu had followed Marisa’s scent.

*~*~*​

Half an hour after beginning my search, I had still not found Sutanu. I stormed angrily up hallway after hallway, bellowing out his name and avoiding the humans who tried to grab me. My fury was mixed with the slightest hint of worry; the Pokemon Center was not big enough to get lost in, so unless Sutanu was actively avoiding me or had gotten into trouble there was no reason why I shouldn’t have found him already.

Sutanu?” I called hesitantly, peering into a room with an open door. I recoiled sharply when the occupant, a large purple-skinned humanoid, glared at me. “Sorry, wrong room,” I apologized quickly.

I stepped into an empty hallway and glanced around. There was only a single door here, a large wooden one right at the end of the hallway. It was painted the same dull cream colour as the hallway and a small plastic sign was attached to it, several letters on it spelling out two words I could not understand. I edged forward; something about this room sent chills up my spine.

The door was closed firmly and I knew that Sutanu could neither open nor close doors, but finding the irritating Stunky was suddenly not the most important thing on my mind. A gentle telekinetic influence caused the door to creak open slightly and I approached it, my heart beating faster in anticipation.

The hallway beyond the door was completely dark and the blackness seemed to reach out, sucking the light out of my hallway as I approached the door. My breathing was quick and shallow and I was beginning to feel light-headed with fear, but I could not back out. I was already committed.

“GOTCHA!”

I jumped a foot in the air and nearly messed myself when two hands closed around my waist. The psychic blast I directed at my attacker slammed them into the wall, but they did not release their hold on me. As I struggled in their grip I caught a glimpse of their face.

“Marisa?”

“Yeah! Why did you attack me?” Marisa pouted, picking herself up and keeping a firm grip on me. “You weren’t in our room, so I came looking for you. Where’s Sutanu?”

“You haven’t seen him?” My heart sank; Sutanu was definitely missing. “He snuck out when I wasn’t looking and went to find you. I was looking for him when I found this room…”

Marisa glanced up at the temptingly open door. “The sign says ‘No Entry’,” she said doubtfully. “Maybe it’s a morgue or something. I don’t want to look at bodies.”

“I don’t think it is. I get a bad feeling from it… like that nightmare I had in hospital.”

Marisa placed me on the ground and stepped forward, resting one hand on the doorknob. She pushed the door open carefully and the hinges creaked slightly, but no alarm sounded. Unable to contain my eagerness, I teleported ahead of her and plunged into the darkened hallway.

Marisa carefully closed the door behind her and flicked a switch. An electric bulb burst into life over us, casting its cold yellow light on a dank stone hallway lined with steel doors.

“What do you want to look at first?” the girl whispered, her excitement evident even through her fear.

I gazed around. Each identical door bore a sign with a single word engraved on it and suddenly I hated myself for not being able to read. “What do these signs say?”

Marisa’s footsteps echoed on the stone floor as she took a few steps forward. “Most of them say ‘Storage’,” she whispered. “That one says ‘Chambers’, though. That sounds interesting…”

She moved past me and reached out, her hand closing around the doorknob. The door creaked as she pushed it open, revealing a set of stairs leading down into the blackness. Immediately a blast of cold air struck us, causing my throat to burn as I struggled not to cough. At the same time a terrible sound rose from beyond the base of the staircase; a high-pitched, inhuman scream of agony.

Marisa recoiled at once, her face a mask of terror. “Wh- what’s going on?” she whispered fearfully.

The scream rose higher, sending chills down my spine and causing my ears to ring. “I think it’s a torture chamber,” I replied, trying to keep the tremble from my telepathic voice.

A loud scream from directly behind me nearly caused me to have a heart attack. I spun around, hoping it was simply another of Marisa’s tricks, but that hope vanished when I saw her struggling in the grip of a very tall, muscular man crammed into a black suit.

“What are you doing down here?” he demanded in guttural tones, his blue eyes burning into Marisa from beneath his slicked-back brown hair.

“I took a wrong turn,” Marisa squeaked fearfully. “Please let me go!”

The guard released his grip on her, reached around and pulled the door closed. “What did you see?”

“Nothing,” Marisa said innocently. She met my gaze and I understood that she was trying to play dumb to make the guard less suspicious. Deciding I should do the same, I crept timidly behind her leg as though scared of the man.

He was looking uncertain; he must have heard the scream and known that Marisa had heard it too, but he seemed to figure that if she hadn’t known what caused it, she could do no harm. He didn’t seem to have noticed me.

“All right,” he said gruffly. “Get out of here.”

I teleported out of the hallway before he could see me and seconds later, Marisa emerged with the guard behind her. She immediately scooped me up in her arms and watched as the door closed with a firm click.

“What was that about?” she whispered to me. “What’s going on in there?”

I shuddered involuntarily. “Whatever it is, it isn’t good.”

Aurikara​

Will’s bare feet squelched in the wet ground as he walked. I dozed lightly in his arms, my snout buried in his tattered shirt to block out the strong stench I had been able to smell for the past hour.

I felt the swaying motion of Will’s walk come to a halt and lifted my head, blinking sleepily up at him. “Master? What’s going on?”

“There’s a fair,” Will said softly. “We can’t go in this city.”

“Fair?” I turned my head as the smell of food reached me. “Will, I smell food! I’m hungry!”

“You’re always hungry,” Will murmured, but he was smiling. “All right, but try not to draw attention to us. Remember, we have to keep hidden.”

I ignored him; I was squirming in his arms, eager to get to the food. He let me down and I trotted eagerly by his side as we entered the small town.

Crowds of people were milling around in the town, exchanging objects at sheltered stalls, eating food I had never seen before and ordering their Pokemon to fight each other. A deafening roar echoed through the town and, too frightened to think sensibly, I leaped into Will’s arms. He stumbled back and dropped his almost-empty cloth bag. “Aura, careful!” he exclaimed. “It’s all right, it won’t hurt you.”

I scrambled up to sit on his shoulder, my heart still pounding so fast that my vision was pulsing. Will bent to pick up the bag at his feet and a shadow fell over us. We both glanced up; a tall, imposing, broad-shouldered boy with khaki hair was standing over us.

“You want to battle?” the boy demanded; the way he spoke, it sounded more like a command.

Will hesitated. “I’m not sure… my Riolu has only ever been in one battle and I’ve never fought with my Spoink.”

“I don’t got all day,” the boy grunted. “You wanna fight or not?”

Will’s eyes met mine and I nodded forcefully. I wanted to fight as hard as I could to make up for my loss against the Houndoom over a week earlier. Will lifted me from his shoulder and placed me gently on the grass. “Be careful,” he warned the boy. “He’s still just a baby and he’s hurt.”

“I don’t go easy on my opponents.” With a sinister smile, the tall boy led the way to an empty part of town. Taking up a position a short distance from Will, he plucked a peculiar red and white sphere from his belt and tossed it into the air.

I stepped in front of Will and braced myself, ready to fight. The orb soared in an arc and burst open, expelling a torrent of pure light that twisted itself into a small, mouse-like creature.

My opponent’s yellow coat shone in the sunlight as it sat hunched over, its tiny black nose twitching. Its equally black eyes travelled over me and its lightning-bolt-shaped tail quivered.

“Quick Attack!” the boy ordered before Will could react. The mouse’s black-tipped ears twitched and it darted at me on its four tiny paws, throwing its entire body against me. For such a small creature it was very powerful. My back slammed into the muddy ground, knocking the breath from my lungs.

I gasped for air and struggled upright, shaking the filth out of my short, dark fur. The opponent hadn’t even paused; at a command from the boy, his Pokemon clenched its tiny fists and unleashed a powerful bolt of lightning. The electricity arced through the air and struck me down.

My chest hit the ground and I groaned quietly, feeling the agony as electricity coursed through my trembling body. Struggling to suppress my childish urge to scream in pain, I levered myself up onto all fours and spat mud out of my mouth.

“I’m calling the battle off,” Will said quickly. He crouched down to pick me up but I shoved him away and staggered upright, my feet slipping in the mud.

“I’m going to do this,” I snarled. “Back off.”

Will recoiled, looking startled. “All right, sorry. Try to hit it as hard as you can. I don’t care which attack you use.”

He retreated and I fixed the opponent with my angry glare. It darted at me again and I channelled my strength into my legs, propelling myself into the air. As it skidded to a halt, startled, I landed lightly behind it.

Focus… channel energy…

The muscles in my long tail seized up; the sensation wasn’t exactly painful, but it was very uncomfortable. A soft glow began to emanate from the rigid limb as I concentrated on heightening the strength of my aura. Within barely a second I knew that my aura had reached the solidity of steel and I charged at the opponent, ignoring the startled look in its eyes as I twisted around suddenly. My stiffened tail struck a forceful blow to the mouse’s side, sending it tumbling away through the mud. It came to rest lying in a limp heap.

The unfamiliar trainer let out his breath in an impressed whistle. “You’re tough!”

I ignored him; I wasn’t done yet. The creature was stirring and I paused for a moment to allow my tail to return to normal, then I dived on top of my opponent. Its yellow fur was already filthy, but I scooped up handfuls of mud and ground them forcefully into its chest. More violent instincts were taking over; I had defeated this creature, so now I had to humiliate it. I had to prove my dominance.

Please stop…” the mouse moaned feebly. I snatched up a handful of mud and, with a vicious snarl, thrust it between the creature’s jaws. It choked and attempted to spit it out, but I forced more into its mouth.

Swallow it,” I ordered, feeling a savage pleasure as I watched the creature suffer. Its red cheeks crackled with electricity but the mud prevented it from launching a bolt of lightning at me. I smeared more filth over its cheeks and into its eyes as it squirmed, attempting half-heartedly to escape.

Suddenly Will swept me up in his arms, gripping both of my wrists to prevent me from hitting him. “Aura, what’s gotten into you?” he demanded. “That was a horrible thing to do!”

I struggled against his grip and snapped ferociously at his hands. My muscles were still tense from the rush of adrenaline that the battle had triggered. “I don’t care! I want to fight!”

Will struggled to hold me still as I kicked violently. He crouched down and pinned me firmly against the ground. “Bane, use Psywave!” he commanded.

Bane bounded closer, the fuchsia orb between his ears beginning to glow with a soft inner light. At once the strength left my body and Will released me. “Feel calmer now?”

The smooth pearl resumed its usual colour and I climbed slowly to my feet, all traces of anger gone. I glanced back to where the battle had taken place and Will tensed, ready to restrain me again, but I had no desire to attack the defeated opponent. The trainer was approaching us, his Pokemon safe inside its sphere.

“You need to teach your Pokemon how to fight fairly,” the boy said, shooting a horrified glance at me. He fumbled in his pocket, drew out a small folder of black material and thrust a few pieces of paper into Will’s fist. With one last glance at me, he departed hurriedly in the direction of the marsh.

Will looked at the paper in his hand. “Prize money… I forgot trainers gave money as a reward for winning battles.”

“What’s money?” I asked curiously.

Will crouched down to show me. The pieces of paper were a powder blue colour, each with a number and a picture of a strange creature in the corner. “Humans use money to pay for things like food,” he explained. “These are all pictures of Legendary Pokemon. It’s different for each amount of money.”

“They all look the same,” I pointed out, examining the money.

“That’s because these ones are the same.” He pointed to the picture, which depicted a distinctly feline creature with wide eyes, big feet and a long tail curled around it. “That’s Mew, the ancestor of all Pokemon. It’s on every hundred-dollar note. A hundred sounds like a lot, but it isn’t really worth much at all. Even a single Poke Ball, like that boy had, costs-”

I glanced up, wondering why he had suddenly stopped talking. Will abruptly stood up and thrust the money into his pocket, then motioned for me to follow. I padded beside him, ignoring Bane as he bounded after me.

An enormous crowd had surrounded the lake. Will stopped at the edge, peering through the mass of humans. “I could’ve sworn I saw someone I know…” He shook the thought away. “Doesn’t matter. Come on, let’s get away from this crowd.”

As he turned away, I paused long enough to catch sight of a pair of deep, garnet eyes in the mass of bodies. I stopped, shuddering slightly; their solemn expression told clearly of past torment. The eyes moved up to Will and widened in sudden recognition.

I turned urgently to Will. “Will! Look!”

Will hesitated and turned back, his expression full of uncertainty. A moment later it changed to shock as a small figure detached itself from the crowd, racing at full speed toward Will. I barely had time to register long, green hair and a white miniskirt-like garb before the creature had leaped into Will’s arms.

He stumbled back, shock written all over his face and his mouth gaping in a wordless exclamation. As the creature buried its head in his chest, he managed to find his voice and spoke one word in a startled croak; a word that explained Will’s surprise and left me as speechless as he had been.

“Selena?”

-- -- --​

So there you have it; Selena is finally here. And in case anyone is wondering, the guard was based on a little-known character from one of my early (and failed) stories. Only two people on this forum know about him; his name was Rocky Grunnan.

Some of Selena’s past - and present - is revealed, and she finds a new friend or two.

Last edited:
I love this chapter way more than the previous ones. It's so...plot-advancing. I enjoyed it very much.

I didn't see anything wrong with your description...I thought it was very good. ;)

“She won’t be happy,” I warned. “That girl has problems with anyone seeing her without her clothes. Anyone would think she’s got something to hide. I wonder if all humans are like that?” I trailed off, considering the question. Marisa was the only human I knew, so I couldn’t compare her to anyone else.
I couldn't resist: RARU = PERV. =D

Oh, and shouldn't a comma follow "I warned" instead of a period? Or am I missing something?

I glanced back to where the battle had taken place and Will tensed, ready to restrain me again, but I had no desire to attack the defeated opponent again.
Very minor, but you used "again" twice in a sentence. The second one could've been omitted, I feel.

An enormous crowd had surrounded the lake and Will stopped at the edge, peering through the mass of humans.
I think this could've been divided into two sentences, omitting the "and".

He stumbled back, shock written all over his face and his mouth gaping in a wordless exclamation. As the creature buried its head in his chest, he managed to find his voice and spoke one word in a startled croak; a word that explained Will’s surprise and left me as speechless as he had been.

“Selena?”

OH YAY. SELENA!!! =D =D =D

Again, really great chapter. I love where this story's going. Couldn't wait for the next one!

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
It's so good to be able to answer reviews again!

Oh, and shouldn't a comma follow "I warned" instead of a period? Or am I missing something?

No, it's a different sentence. It doesn't really make sense with a comma there.

Very minor, but you used "again" twice in a sentence. The second one could've been omitted, I feel.

Oops. *Grabs knife to kill error*

And... aargh... I forgot to fix the two mistakes that someone on CoD pointed out. I'll do those at the same time. Thank you for your review, as always!

~GG~

Normalize

*Gasp* Selena!?!?!?!?!?! You are really kicking some but when it comes to plot movement. I mean this was a BIG chapter for the plot. Selena, chambers, and two battles. Hey Raru i think you could totally take out an overgrow fish, i can't wait to see how she fair in battle.

The battles were good, Buizel is a really cool choice, one of my favoutite water types. Aura battle was great, i totaly showed how Aura has a wild side and can't control it. Poor Pikachu...

Can't wait to see Selena, i mean the next chapter.

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
*Gasp* Selena!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, I thought it was about time to put her in. Next chapter you can meet her new trainer, too.

Hey Raru i think you could totally take out an overgrow fish, i can't wait to see how she fair in battle.

Unfortunately, I had some problems with the Gym battle. I'm writing far ahead of what people are reading, like several chapters ahead, and the Gym battle still isn't over. However, I'm sure you'll love to see one of the characters coming soon. Hint: You may recognize him...

Buizel is a really cool choice, one of my favoutite water types.

Really? Mine too! But I stopped raising them when I figured out that they were too weak unless they evolved. I think Floatzel is ugly. Those huge teeth just ruin its appearance.

Can't wait to see Selena, i mean the next chapter.

How about... both at the same time? Selena narrates the next chapter!

~GG~

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, it's been a while, but that chapter was *awesome*. Really, quite good there - perfect pacing, good descrition and you hit the right length as well. Rice cliffhanger as well - although the build-up to that moment had been a little fast could have been built up for longer... but very enjoybable.

Some nice moments there, some good small-humour bits, and the events were quite intriguing. Rather plot-advancing. Spome of the mistakes have already been picked up upon... darn you Dramatic Melody! ;)

This will need to be quick-ish, as I have to go soon. At least some stuff as already been said - I agree with what others have said.
“That’s no measure of how strong his Pokemon are, though,” she said firmly. “He could have a single Shellos for all we know.”

The boy shook his head, sending his dark hair flopping about his face. “I’ve seen his Gyarados. It’d be tough to beat.”
Serves her right for being over-confident. ;) One has to say a single Shellos might be a bit too much to hope for... but she has a point.
With his seemingly unhurt Buizel bounding by his side, the boy turned and jogged away.
Umm... seemingly unhurt, yet it just got beaten? If it's hiding it's pain, say so or allude to it better - otherwise just seems like a contridiction.
Marisa started; she had apparently forgotten me.
Hmm, personally 'started' doesn't quite sound right here - maybe 'jumped', or something like that - started is techniquely correct, but just doesn't seem to fit here.
He was enormous; that was the only word for him. His back was to the lake, his fists raised in the air for emphasis as he watched the fog dissipate. Despite the early-morning chill, his chest was bare. He wore a thin pair of ocean-blue pants, with black padded thighs and orange trim at the waistband and ankles, which would hold in almost no warmth. His feet were encased in boots of the same orange, his wrists with bands of the same colour and a blue similar to that of his pants.

“That guy has no fashion sense,” Marisa whispered.
Nice one. :) It seemed quite obvious to me that this was Crasher Wake right off the bat for me however... mostly because he had just been mentioned a bit before. Like the description here though.
“I don’t got all day,” the boy grunted.
That boy needs to learn english more get.

“Humans use money to pay for things like food,” he explained. “These are all pictures of Legendary Pokemon. It’s different for each amount of money.”
I quite like that concept, like the 'important' people getting their pictures on money - nice idea.

Good chapter - especially after the 'break'. Keep it up! *prays lag doesn't affect post*

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
OMG! Shut up! Wow you know how to tease us! Or am i just impatient?

Yup, I like to tease people. Oh, by the way, Normalize, did you recognize the guard? Grunnan? You were one of the only two people who have read all of Dialga's Blessing, although hopefully after I rewrite it a lot more people will be able to see it.

although the build-up to that moment had been a little fast could have been built up for longer

I've always had that problem; I get overexcited and just rush it. I thought, though, if Will was looking at the crowds he might've been able to see Selena just briefly, but then thought he imagined her.

Umm... seemingly unhurt, yet it just got beaten? If it's hiding it's pain, say so or allude to it better - otherwise just seems like a contridiction.

It wasn't really hurt in the battle, not knocked out or anything, but the battle ended when Sutanu knocked it out of the boundaries. That's one thing I always stick to; I don't know if it's canon or not, but in my battles if one Pokemon goes beyond the boundaries, it's an automatic loss. I probably should've explained that better.

That boy needs to learn english more get.

He's also based an a character I created years ago, but I never posted that story so I didn't mention it. Basically the original boy was a street kid who spoke like that... and also, I've heard people around me say things like that. I just thought I'd make him seem a little too casual, which would probably be common for trainers (rather than always dressing neartly and speaking perfectly, they would be a bit rough and dirty, right?).

~GG~

Normalize

Grunnan, i have your chpater stored away in my PMs so i'll go look at those. Wait you plan to re-write Dialga's Blessing, YAH!

golden jirachi

Sinnoh Star!
First thing , and on top of all things, BEST FANFIC EVER! I really like the way you write. The vocabulray, the connectors and the capacity to transmit what you thought through this media. Wow girl, you got an absolutely perfect 10! I love the character of Rarutos, that sarcasm she uses. How, at first, she made Marisa's life impossible.

The character of will made me nearly cry, how much he suffered and how much love he gives to Aura/Aurikara. Very well develeped characters.

From the way you wrote, inspired me to try writing Fanfics again.

Shortening all this:
Characters=10!
Vocabulary=12! Ow, wait, there's something wrong... oh yeah the 10 is perfect. As if I cared!

As a conlcusion (cause i can't finish giving out scores), i give you a perfect 20 in the story, please do chapter 9! i can't wait to read it!

Last edited:

Gardevoir Girl

is NOT a girl
Thank you for the review, golden jirachi. Would you like to be added to my PM list? It's still fairly short... *crosses fingers*

Anyway, I’m back, with a chapter that fully introduces a new character that I know at least one person has been eagerly awaiting.

I have to warn you that this chapter contains some mentions of disturbing themes, and by the end you’ll probably be able to figure out what I mean by ‘disturbing themes’.

And by the way, if anyone notices that I’ve written ‘Tyson’ instead of ‘Tyler’, can you please point it out? I had a bit of trouble with that name.

Chapter Nine

Reunited

Selena​

My eyes burned with unshed tears as I buried my face in Will tattered shirt. He was very much different than the last time I had seen him; his clothes were torn and filthy, he was barefoot and his hair had grown long enough to reach almost to his shoulders. I didn’t care how different he looked; he was still my saviour and my best friend.

Will’s hand gently stroked my back. “I don’t believe this,” he whispered.

“Is that Selena?” A new voice interrupted my thoughts; a childish telepathic voice, one that sounded distinctly male despite its high pitch. I glanced briefly down; a dark-furred, bipedal canine stood at Will’s feet, gazing up at me with curious ruby eyes. This was the Pokemon I had seen before I noticed Will.

There was a disturbance in the crowd as a tall, fourteen-year-old boy forced his way out into the open. He was a complete contrast to Will; he was dressed in a midnight blue T-shirt, faded jeans and white running shoes and his skin was fair, although he had a slight tan. He brushed a strand of black hair out of his ice-blue eyes as he surveyed Will.

“Excuse me,” he said, “but you seem to be holding my Kirlia.”

Will flushed and attempted to disentangle me from him. “Come on, Selena, let go.”

“You know her name?” The boy stepped forward, intrigued. “Do you know her?”

Will nodded, tugging at the hand I had fastened securely around his arm. “Her first trainer was my older brother.”

“Kevin Barren?”

My entire body stiffened at the sound of the name. I clung tightly to Will's shirt, shivering in renewed fear. Even after all this time, the sound of the name still struck terror into my heart. My trainer, however, didn’t notice; his eyes had lit up in sudden recognition.

“That must make you… William Barren!”

Will recoiled at the sound of his name and took a step back, glancing around anxiously. Obviously the police were after him after what he had done. Thankfully, even if anyone had seen the wanted posters they didn’t seem to notice his name being spoken.

“Please don’t hand me over,” Will begged in a hoarse whisper, his grip tightening on me.

The boy shook his head and stepped forward, offering one hand to Will. “No fear of that! I think you’re a hero, freeing Selena like that. I’m Tyler, her new trainer.”

Will paused, scrutinizing Tyler as though trying to read his mind. His hands loosened on me as he reached out to shake my trainer’s hand. “You already know who I am.”

As they let go, a cheer drifted up from the nearby crowd. The first swimming race appeared to have begun. The two boys ignored it and Will crouched down, still attempting to loosen my grip on him. “Selena, Tyler, I should introduce my new friends. This is Aurikara the Riolu and this is Bane the Spoink.”

I turned my head, my long hair falling into my eyes, and squinted at the two Pokemon. I hadn’t even noticed the Spoink. The Riolu was pushing close to me, trying to thrust his snout in my face, his paws reaching out to me. I pressed closer to Will in an attempt to avoid the dog.

“Aura, she’s shy,” Will said quietly. “She doesn’t like being crowded.”

Looking disappointed, Aura backed away. I hesitantly let go of Will’s shirt and crawled out of his lap. Tyler reached toward me but I retreated from his arms.

“She doesn’t seem to like you much,” Will observed.

Of course I don’t. Tyler wouldn’t understand… he hasn’t been through what I have.

Tyler scuffed his shoe on the ground. “Yeah, we’ve got a bit of a problem with trust,” he admitted. “I picked her up from the orphanage months ago but she still hasn’t made a sound. I asked if she was mute…”

“She’s not mute,” Will assured him. “Why don’t we come away from the crowd? You can tell me how you found Selena.”

I wound my hand into the leg of Will’s shredded trousers and followed silently as he led the way to a deserted part of town. He settled himself on the grass and Aura immediately crawled onto his knees, casting me a scathing glance.

I stiffened as Tyler lifted me onto his own lap. Will made an involuntary movement as though to punch the boy but managed to restrain himself. “She doesn’t like sitting in a stranger’s lap,” he said firmly.

It’s been so long since someone understood me…

“I’m not a stranger, I’m her trainer,” Tyler pointed out, refusing to relinquish me.

I adopted a foetal position in his arms, wishing I could sit with Will again. Tyler was oblivious to my fear; he leaned back, gazed up at the clouds and began to recount the story of our meeting. I allowed the memories to flood into my mind as I listened.

*~*~*​

Two weeks… that was how long I spent at the orphanage where sweet Emerald Barren brought me. Two weeks, yet each day felt like a month in itself. Right from the moment Emerald carried me through the doors and the elderly matron agreed to take me in, I did not fit in there. The other Pokemon, of whom there were very few, were wary of me at first. They disliked my silence, my solitary manner and especially the way I often hid from visiting trainers. Eventually they began taunting me, even attacking me when none of the nurses were around.

The nurses themselves were cautious around me, careful not to mention the boy who had left me with such terrible emotional, mental and physical scarring. Many tried without success to encourage me to speak and interact with the other Pokemon. Eventually, however, they gave up on me and focused on the other Pokemon.

Of course, it was partly my fault that I was treated badly and ignored at the orphanage. I refused to make a single sound, as I had ever since the incident. I refused to fight, for fear of being beaten if I lost. I would not come when the cook rang his bell; as the other Pokemon rushed to eat, I often crawled into one of the hiding spots I had discovered and enjoyed the silence. Upon noticing that I was not eating, the matron took it upon herself to bring me food several times a day so I could eat alone.

All of this lasted for two weeks. During that time I began to hate the place and considered running away, but I knew the world was cruel to tame Pokemon. I would have been killed or, even worse, captured by a trainer even crueller than my last one. I waited it out, avoiding any humans who might have wanted to take me in, until Tyler arrived.

Tyler had come to make a donation, not to adopt, but he met the other Pokemon anyway. He told me later that he had wanted to see who his money would be looking after. One of the nursing staff mentioned me and Tyler decided that he wanted to see me. The matron, who had taken a liking to me and who knew all of my favourite hiding spots, offered to bring me out.

I was huddled up in a hollow inside one of the walls when I heard two sets of footsteps approaching. I ignored them, thinking that it was two of the nurses looking for me. No one but the matron had ever been able to find me, so I simply settled down and clutched the silken scarf that was my last reminder of a family. I was startled when the loose sheet of wallpaper was drawn back and the kind, crinkled face peered in at me.

The matron took me into her arms and showed me to Tyler, who was standing nearby. I remembered thinking how different he looked than the dark-skinned, fair-haired boy who had treated me so cruelly. A smile creased his gentle mouth as he reached out to stroke my hair, although I recoiled from his touch. The matron explained how I had been beaten on countless occasions and I watched pity and compassion fill those ice-blue eyes. I remembered thinking how little even the matron knew about me.

Then all coherent thoughts were driven from my mind as Tyler announced that he wished to adopt me.

I couldn’t believe it. I barely heard the elderly woman’s warnings that I was very antisocial and refused to battle. I struggled as she finally gave me up to Tyler and as he held me in his arms for the first time, I barely restrained myself from screaming. I kicked, fought and bit with all of my strength, but Tyler simply cradled me close and soothed me. Eventually I drifted into a doze and he carried me out of the orphanage for the last time.

*~*~*​

“I think she found your story boring, Tyler.”

I fought off the darkness of sleep, struggling to return to the waking world. My first conscious thought was the realization that someone was holding me. Blind panic instantly took hold and I thrashed wildly, straining desperately toward freedom. The arms tightened around me, pressing me into a broad chest.

“Can’t you see she’s terrified?” a familiar voice demanded angrily. I hesitated and everything came flooding back into my mind. I’m with Tyler and Will at the Pastoria City Fair. Tyler must be the one holding me. I’m safe… I’m safe…

My struggles ceased and Tyler’s arms loosened. Will was looking murderous; his muddy green eyes burned with fury and his fingers were digging into his Riolu’s chest, making him squirm in discomfort. “No wonder she doesn’t like you,” he snapped at the startled Tyler. “If she gets scared she needs to feel safe. After what she’s been through it’s not surprising that she only feels safe when she’s alone. Your doing that is only adding to her fears.”

Tyler released me and I scrambled out of his arms, fleeing to hide behind a tree a short distance away. My heart was still pounding the rhythm of fear against my ribs as I curled up against the trunk, feeling the bark digging into my skin. Anything was preferable to the feeling of hands holding me.

“You don’t know how to handle Selena, do you?” Will demanded angrily. “You don’t know what she dreams about at night. You don’t know what she’s afraid of. You don’t even know her age or her favourite food, do you? You don’t know anything about her!”

I peered around the tree trunk and saw Tyler’s shoulders slump. “No,” he admitted reluctantly. “No one at the orphanage told me anything except her name and the fact that she doesn’t like to fight. I adopted her because I thought I could help her get over what had happened. All I know about her past is what was in those news reports and they were focused more on Kevin than Selena.”

Aura emitted a distressed squeaking sound, alerting Will to the fact that he was squashing him. Will quickly loosened his grip and Aura crawled up to his shoulder, his chest heaving as he struggled for air.

“Sorry, Aura,” Will said quietly.

I gripped a knot in the tree trunk and used it to help me climb onto one of the lower branches. The bark left scrapes on my hands and legs as I edged onto the higher limbs and I finally came to rest on a broad branch. My scrapes stung as blood oozed out, forming tiny scarlet beads on my pale skin.

I ignored the conversation between Will and Tyler as I examined my grazes, watching the droplets of blood swell and merge together. I ran my hands down my legs, leaving smears of crimson on my skin.

Blood is so interesting… it is needed for life, yet although my blood has been spilled many times I have not died. Sometimes I feel it would be better if I had.

“You don’t deserve to look after her!” Will’s raised voice interrupted my thoughts. He was on his feet, glaring at Tyler as though he wanted to see him writhing in agony. Tyler, Aura and Bane all looked startled at Will’s outburst.

“Sorry…” Tyler said meekly. “I didn’t know she was so scared of physical contact. I thought that holding her close would comfort her.”

“There’s a reason she fought you!” Will replied heatedly. “My brother used to do some terrible things to her. You should have let go of her and helped her understand that no one wanted to hurt her, not constricted her like that.”

My trainer flung up his hands. “I give! If you know so much about her, why don’t you take her?”

“I…” Will hesitated, the uncertainty visible in his eyes even from a distance. “I can’t,” he said eventually. “They’ll trace her ID and the police will find me.”

“Oh. Right.” For a moment both boys were silent, before Tyler lifted his gaze again. “Can you teach me how to look after her?”

“Huh?”

Tyler stumbled to his feet, dusting dirt off his clothes. “I obviously don’t treat her right, but you’ve lived with her for most of her life. Can you teach me what to do?”

Again Will was uncertain, glancing uneasily at Aura and Bane and taking a step back. “Um… I…”

“We’ll travel with you!” Tyler said enthusiastically. “I’ll watch how you treat Selena and I’ll do the same thing!”

For a moment something like panic flared in Will’s eyes, but it was gone just as suddenly. “No,” he said firmly. “Why don’t you find my sister? Before I left home, she told me she was going to leave on her journey as soon as Selena was safe. Her name’s Emerald Barren and she’s fifteen. Just look for her and she’ll show you what to do.”

Tyler’s face fell and my heart dropped like a rock. I can’t stay with Will… doesn’t he love me?

Ignoring Tyler, Will approached the tree I was sheltering in and leaned around the trunk, searching for me on the ground. He looked quite startled when Aura suddenly leaped off his shoulder, scrambling up onto my branch. I shrank away from the Riolu, my eyes growing wider in fear.

“Aura, she’s scared,” Will said softly. “Don’t make it worse.”

I crawled along the bough, away from Aura, my scratched legs leaving streaks of blood on the rough bark. Will stayed carefully beneath me, ready to catch me in case I fell. As I edged onto the thinner part of the limb, my hand slipped and I clung desperately to the branch to avoid falling.

I just want to talk to you!” Aura called, his attentive gaze fixed on me. “I’m Aura. Do you know my master?

He placed one wide paw on the slimmer branch, which trembled ominously. I redoubled my grip and closed my eyes tightly, my legs and arms wrapped tightly around the branch as I prayed silently that it would not break. Please go away…

Aura grasped the branch and crept forward, lowering his chest onto it. It creaked under our combined weight and snapped suddenly, dropping out from beneath me. I released it and grabbed wildly for support, completely missing the surrounding limbs. A pair of hands caught hold of me and I curled up tightly, trembling, my face pressed into Will’s chest. A soft thump nearby indicated that Aura had landed safely on his feet.

“It’s all right,” Will soothed, slowly stroking my back. “You’re safe.”

I am when I’m with you.

The sound of feet squelching in the mud announced Tyler’s approach. “How come she lets you hold her?” he demanded. “She gets scared when I try to touch her, but she trusts you!”

“I’ve known her since she was a few weeks old, back when she was a Ralts,” Will replied, gently smoothing my knotted hair. “I was only three when we met. We used to play together all the time, back before my brother started beating her.”

I lifted my head, gazing pleadingly into Will’s face. I knew he could read the question in my eyes.

Can I please come with you? I don’t want to stay with this boy. I don’t trust him.

“Selena, you can’t come with me,” Will said quietly. “Just go with Tyler. I’m sure he’ll eventually figure out how to treat you.”

He knelt down and deposited me on the grass. Instantly a vice-like grip closed on my hand and I looked up to see Tyler standing beside me, his expression almost murderous. “Come on, we’re leaving.”

I stumbled after him as he dragged me through the crowd. My eyes once again stung with tears, this time born of my despair. “You’ll learn to trust me,” Tyler said firmly. “I’m not letting him take you. I adopted you, so you belong to me.”

I felt a chill at his words. They were exactly the same ones my last trainer had said months ago, right before…

I tore my hand out of Tyler’s grip. I’m not going to let that happen again. I’m going with Will!

Tyler stopped, startled. “Selena… you’ve never refused to come with me before. What’s gotten into you?”

I will not be separated from him again. I’m going to stand up for myself just this once.

I took a few steps back from the boy. He followed me, still looking bemused, and offered his hand again. “Come on, I won’t hurt you.”

That’s what he said too.

I shook my head vehemently and edged away from him. I knew I should speak to him, but I was still unwilling to break my silence. I turned and glanced back to where Will had been.

Where is he? He left without me?

“Selena, I’m not letting you go with Will,” Tyler said angrily. “He had his chance to take you when you were at the orphanage, but he didn’t want you. Now you’re mine.”

Those words… just like the day my last trainer took away my innocence…

I stumbled over a rock and my back slammed into the damp ground, but I quickly staggered to my feet again. My skin was already filthy; a little extra dirt would barely make a difference.

Tyler reached for me but I recoiled and fled, hoping to find footprints that would guide me to Will. My small feet sank into the wet dirt, slowing me and making me stumble, but I refused to let Tyler catch up.

Not after what he just said…

Tyler straightened up behind me, stung. “Fine!” he yelled after me. “Have it your own way! Let’s see how long you survive on your own!”

The door of a white-painted building swung open and a figure raced outside, not noticing me until it was too late. I was moving too fast to stop. We collided in a blur of flying mud and pain, accompanied by a squeal of shock from the figure I had run into.

With my eyes closed tightly, I felt myself collide with the ground and a suffocating weight began crushing me. A badly-concealed snort of laughter caused me to open my eyes. I could barely see anything; whatever had landed on me was much larger than I was and was blotting out the light.

“Nice one,” a sarcastic voice said. Despite the tremendous weight on top of me muffling the sound, I could tell that the voice was female and had spoken with telepathy. I squeezed my eyes closed again and struggled to draw breath.

The creature on top of me stirred. “Ugh… what happened? What was that?”

“You just ran into a wild Pokemon,” the first voice said conversationally. “You might want to get off it now. You’re squashing it.”

“Huh?” The weight shifted as the creature - presumably a human - heaved itself off me. The air rushed into my lungs and I took several deep breaths, savouring the feeling of my breath flowing easily in and out.

I felt a slight telepathic nudge at my consciousness and looked up to see a small figure beside me. Its slim body, green cap and red horns left me in no doubt that it was a Ralts, as I had once been.

Hey, you okay?” the Pokemon asked, bending down to see my face. I studied it carefully. Its blood-red eyes, so like my own, were full of concern. Its delicate but rather solid build told me that it was female and still young, less than six months old. The Ralts was still a child, albeit one rapidly approaching adolescence.

I asked if you’re okay,” she persisted. “Can you hear me? Can you talk?

I shook my head and buried my face in the mud, but suddenly I found myself in someone’s arms again. My chest ached with each breath and I found that I was too tired to resist. A pair of golden-brown eyes blinked down at me from a face framed by blonde hair.

Another human. Why can’t the humans leave me alone?

“Sorry I fell on you,” the girl said, brushing her damp hair back from her face. “I’m just clumsy. Are you wild or do you have a trainer?”

I blinked and gazed past the girl, but Tyler was gone. I felt a sudden chill of fear. He left me just like Will left me… I’m alone with these strangers.

Another nudge of telepathy brushed my mind; the Ralts was reading my thoughts. “Female, over seven years old, hasn’t spoken in months, named Selena, belonging to a trainer named Tyler who seems to have run off,” she announced. “Um… and she just said congratulations; we now know more about her than her trainer does.”

A blush swept into my cheeks. Did she really hear my last thought?

Yes, and I heard that one too,” Ralts told me.

Please get out of my mind… there are some things I don’t want you to know.

The contact withdrew, leaving me alone in my head once again. The girl was stroking my tangled hair thoughtfully. “If your trainer ran off, who’s going to look after you?” she asked. “I can take you in, if you don’t have anywhere else to go. I’ll look after you until your trainer comes back and you can be friends with Raru.”

Who’s Raru? What’s she talking about?

She placed me gently on the grass near her Ralts, who raised one hand cheerfully in welcome. “Raru is her nickname for me. My name’s Rarutos. I already know your name.

I glanced up at the girl, who was watching me attentively. She wanted to see her Ralts befriend me.

That’s Marisa,” Rarutos explained. “She’s my trainer, in case you couldn’t tell. She can be a bit thick-headed sometimes, but her heart is in the right place. She’s not really that bad once you get to know her. So, what’s your trainer like? Come on, you can tell me all about him.

I remained silent, startled by how verbose Rarutos seemed to be. She waited for me to reply, crossing her arms impatiently over her chest. I made no sound, glancing anxiously between her and Marisa.

“Why don’t you like to talk?” Marisa asked. “Does your throat hurt?”

When I still didn’t reply she gathered me into her arms, ignoring my feeble struggles. “You don’t have to talk if you don’t want to, but I think you should come with me. You need a bath.”

Should I take that as an insult?

“What about Sultana?” Rarutos asked.

“He’ll come back when he can’t find me,” Marisa said. “For now we have to think about Selena.”

Rarutos followed reluctantly as Marisa carried me back into the building she had come from. I curled up in her arms, feeling comforted. No human females who had held me had ever harmed me.

I hid my face in Marisa’s clean T-shirt and closed my eyes, soothed by her warmth. I suddenly felt as safe as a child in its mother’s arms. I ignored the sounds of movement around me as I drifted into a doze, my legs tucked up to my chest and my hands wound tightly into Marisa’s clothing.

A sister to protect me, a mother to care for me… as the darkness closed around me, I had a powerful sense of finally being home.

-- -- --​

These chapters seem to take longer and longer to type each time. As you might’ve noticed, there are hints to suggest a very dark past for Selena, but before you quit reading this I will assure you that there will never be any lemon of any sort in this story.

Aurikara’s anger goes out of control, Marisa and Rarutos get the wrong impression of Tyler and Marisa discovers Will’s secret.

Last edited:

Normalize

I'm sorry GG, I meant to post yesterday but I got caught up in the snowball war with golden jirachi. Nola just wouldn't let me be.
You building up great tension, I want to know what Will did and why he can't have Selena? Oh, and where is Sultana too(He has became my favourite character even if he doesn't have a bi9g roll)? O couldn't find Tyson anywhere, sorry bout' that. Anywasy, great chapter, you uo to the point where it hard for you to improve cause your allready so good! Chow!