• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Viz re-released Pokemon Adventures in the U.S.!

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Going back on topic, I imagine Mewtwo will just make a remark on how Red and Green are such good friends now they are willing to trade their most trusted pokemon just like that.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
A lot of people say they needed to "keep the Japanese names", when they really mean they just want the girl to be called Blue and the boy to be called Green. If they kept the Japanese names, Bill would be Masaki, Wally would be Mitsuru, Charizard would be Lizardon, Squirtle would be Zenigame, Silver would be Shiruba, Crystal would be Kuristal, the girl would be Buru and the boy would be Gurin. You see what I'm saying?

thank you, Captain Obvious, for letting as know all the neat names.
but i meant that i wished they never went ahead and switched the names around.
i can see the reason (with the U.S=Red and Blue and Jp= Red and Green), but still, some of us don't like it. especially when i thought that the names were supposed to be that way, Blue (boy) Green (girl), but whatever.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Hmn...I wish they never switched the names around either...it doesn't make sense to why (unless because they wanted "Blue" to be like water and beat fire or somethin, they changed it in the games too...Also maybe the translators figured that it wouldn't make much difference (...Little did they know!!) It doesn't bother that much, and I even got used to it but sometimes I still make a slip up here and there! ^^ ;

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
agreed. and then there's always the Fire red and Leaf blue thingy, heehee. :D
i'm curious about that, maybe then the translators will release that they made a mistake in this. can't wait.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The reason the names were changed was because America never got the original Red and Green version.

We got Blue version, only with Red and Green's wild Pokémon and version-exclusive lists, and Blue's graphics, game engine, and script for translation.

Due to this, a name change was decided. So apparently we would have either gotten Red and Blue, or Green and Blue.

Yeah.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
thank you, Captain Obvious, for letting as know all the neat names.
but i meant that i wished they never went ahead and switched the names around.
i can see the reason (with the U.S=Red and Blue and Jp= Red and Green), but still, some of us don't like it. especially when i thought that the names were supposed to be that way, Blue (boy) Green (girl), but whatever.

Well if it's so obvious try being a bit more specific. It just annoys me that's all because everyone goes on about "it's the original names from jp" when they aren't.

Last edited:

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
agreed. and then there's always the Fire red and Leaf blue thingy, heehee. :D
i'm curious about that, maybe then the translators will release that they made a mistake in this. can't wait.
Considering there was no mistake made, I don't see why they would do that. Green's American name IS Blue, and Blue's American name IS Green. It was completely intentional, and just because one line that only exists to connect the series to the games [which don't exist in the manga anyway] has to be changed does not mean it was a mistake.

Seriously, I can't believe people are so upset over something like this. Is there *nothing* else about Pokemon Adventures to talk about?

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Considering there was no mistake made, I don't see why they would do that. Green's American name IS Blue, and Blue's American name IS Green. It was completely intentional, and just because one line that only exists to connect the series to the games [which don't exist in the manga anyway] has to be changed does not mean it was a mistake.

Seriously, I can't believe people are so upset over something like this. Is there *nothing* else about Pokemon Adventures to talk about?

This isn't the only thing people have been talking about but I don't think it's anything to get upset over myself, so I agree intirely.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Well, the main problem people have with it is that it can seriously screw up discussion about the two characters, because no matter what, at least one person is going to walk into the discussion assuming you mean the other person.

Also, it really screws with fanfics, but that's something else.

Though I'm saddened that Blue X Green got called OldRivalShipping instead of some joke on the fact that you could technically make an accurate fic that's Blue x Blue or Green x Green.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
Well, the main problem people have with it is that it can seriously screw up discussion about the two characters, because no matter what, at least one person is going to walk into the discussion assuming you mean the other person.

Also, it really screws with fanfics, but that's something else.

Though I'm saddened that Blue X Green got called OldRivalShipping instead of some joke on the fact that you could technically make an accurate fic that's Blue x Blue or Green x Green.
But fan fics aren't all that important anyways....neither is shipping. Just state who's speaking of what and move on.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
But fan fics aren't all that important anyways....neither is shipping. Just state who's speaking of what and move on.

I already stated that they weren't important.

Also, the problem is that having to constantly re-explain which is which can be very frustrating.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
I already stated that they weren't important.

Also, the problem is that having to constantly re-explain which is which can be very frustrating.
Well it's pretty easy to make it clear who you're talking about. It shouldn't be too much of an effort. Theres a small niche group who even considers calling Blue Green and vice versa though.

Rex Kamex

... I forgot that Volume 5 comes out a week from today...

A lot of people say they needed to "keep the Japanese names", when they really mean they just want the girl to be called Blue and the boy to be called Green. If they kept the Japanese names, Bill would be Masaki, Wally would be Mitsuru, Charizard would be Lizardon, Squirtle would be Zenigame, Silver would be Shiruba, Crystal would be Kuristal, the girl would be Buru and the boy would be Gurin. You see what I'm saying?

Except that Silver, Crystal, Blue, and Green's Japanese names still would be "Silver", "Crystal", "Blue", and "Green." (If not, then Lizardon's name would have to be "Rizaadon"...)

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Except that Silver, Crystal, Blue, and Green's Japanese names still would be "Silver", "Crystal", "Blue", and "Green." (If not, then Lizardon's name would have to be "Rizaadon"...)

No, because while they're pronounced similarly, it's still spelled differently hence their Japanese names are actuall Gurin, Buru, etcetera. I'll give you a point for the part about Lizardon-Rizaadon, but Lizardon is still the way it's spelled.

All I'm saying is it's not keeping the Japanese names just because you'd make the boy Green and the girl Blue. Especially not if you still use Bulbasaur instead of Fusshigidane, or Bill instead of Masaki. I mean I much prefer Bulbasaur, Bill and so forth but if people are going to make a big deal out of Japanese names like every other fandom they could at least get it right.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Umm... I think you're confusing two seperate groups here.

There is one group that is obsessive about using the "original" names (such as Fusshigidane instead of Bulbasaur). You can see them every time a new generation comes out.

The other group, the one some Special fans are in, is the one that just wants the boy to be Green and the girl to be Blue. Kind of stupid, I agree (dubbing happens to help things make sense after all), but some people (like me) just like those names better.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Umm... I think you're confusing two seperate groups here.

There is one group that is obsessive about using the "original" names (such as Fusshigidane instead of Bulbasaur). You can see them every time a new generation comes out.

The other group, the one some Special fans are in, is the one that just wants the boy to be Green and the girl to be Blue. Kind of stupid, I agree (dubbing happens to help things make sense after all), but some people (like me) just like those names better.

I'm not getting the groups mixed up, it just bothers me that people say, "they should use the Japanese names" when what they mean to say is "I want the boy to be named Green and the girl to be named Blue". The groups are getting themselves mixed up. I'm just saying.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Well, this is the manga subforum, so logic would say that people asking for japanese names here are in the group that are talking about the two trainers.

You mainly see the other group... pretty much everywhere else: General, 1-4th gen, Anime, etc.

Batman Beyond

The Tommorow Knight
Well, this is the manga subforum, so logic would say that people asking for japanese names here are in the group that are talking about the two trainers.

You mainly see the other group... pretty much everywhere else: General, 1-4th gen, Anime, etc.

No, let me put it like this;

Group one- You want the boy to be named Green and the girl to be named Blue.

Group two- You want the Japanese names.

We're dealing with Group one, but they say the want the Japanese names, when they don't, they just want to switch the names back. I'm not actually confused by it, I'm just bugged is all.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
They switch around the names,because We got Blue version than Green Version.