• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Viz release of PokeSpe BW, July 2011

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
okay, but no emails. typed, printed, and sent the traditional way- using that plastic box outside your house your mom tells you to go pull papers from every afternoon at 2pm. What Spartans stand with us!?

Rex Kamex

Okay, i believe Viz needs a letter about this. 1dbad's posts can already make a decent arguement. who agrees we should complain and tell them to finish the rest of adventures first?

Isn't it too late for that? If they've already made the decision...

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
ok this tread has turned into a fight >.< We should be able to discuss this peacefully.
Kuriboh it's kinda rude how you talk to the others you wouldn't like it if people talked to you like that.

Back to the topic. Well it's true BW is very popular I spoke to a friend of mine who barely played any pokemon games anymore. A bit pokemon Diamond but that was rarely and now she was soo interested in the Black White games my sis and I own she and her brother wanted to play all over again and in her class they were all about pokemon black white. Still Viz should be thinking clearly you don't want a story thats not even close to finishing and has a lot of plot holes. Most people who read manga in my country are teens if I ask kids in my neighborhood about the manga they say what is manga. I assume this is in other countries the same. no teen or adult would want to read an story with a lot of plot whole and that's frustrating too. It will look like viz sees us as fools who only buy the BW arc because of the games and don't care about the the rest of the story so that they can get money of course thats not true why else are we buying all the other volumes even thought most of us have already read the older arcs a thousand times and we still would love to buy them because the story is very good and we want to read it every time and moment we are able to read it even thought we can dream the whole story and we have the patient to wait for the BW arc. Too bad viz doesn't understand that and that's the reason I am mad at them they don't understand the fans, even thought they shouldn't translate manga only for money but for the thought that thousands of people who buy them will read them with lots of pleasure. We have the patient for vol 39 to come out so I think viz should have the patient to release the BW arc because the fans would want that.

Well, I guess the best way to put it is that think of this release as getting the magazines ourselves. It's not like the Japanese have to wait for the volume releases to have an idea of what's going on. And while I'm very grateful to be able to read the scanlations of that one person who gets the Shogaku magazine, I still wish to be able to read the chapters from the other magazines, and I'm pretty impatient and don't want to wait two probable years. I'm actually starting to look forward to the Viz release.

Also, BW is a fresh start, and any references to the past probably won't show up for quite awhile. Any major changes aren't likely to happen right away. And I just remembered that the every other month magazine may have a chance to cover Striation. That was the magazine that featured Fennel after all.

Don't forget, the Best of Red and the Best of Yellow were horribly squished versions of the actual volumes, but they sold so well that Viz decided to rerelease the whole series. I'm sure once the BW arc gets its real volumes, they'll sell really well too and that the mini-releases will help out with that.

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

Diamond and Pearl was last year. Please check your calender again.

That's coming from someone who said Special was overrated and sucked and is still buying Special books.

And yet, they were still released early.

And you searched through my previous posts? OK... If you must know I got the D/P Special half-price and I thought it was worth a shot.

Go back to your children's card games and your censored 4Kids crap.

deokishisu>> Well... Not just a letter. A petition would be more convincing =/

LOL. You're on a Pokemon forum, honey.

ok this tread has turned into a fight >.< We should be able to discuss this peacefully.
Kuriboh it's kinda rude how you talk to the others you wouldn't like it if people talked to you like that.

How am I being any more rude than kawaii serebii? Is it just becuase I'm not a whining fan-thing?

Last edited:

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
How am I being any more rude than kawaii serebii? Is it just becuase I'm not a whining fan-thing?

Probably because you are being rude to everyone on here. Just please stop. D= Let people have their opinions and not call them a "whiny fan" that's not very nice...:< I mean I love PokeSpe (and am currently waiting for it to catch up) and I like it to be in order. I got really upset when Viz made a "spin-off" of "Platinum" it felt like they were taking the bonds of the Dex Holders and throwing them away...(even though Dia, Pearl and Platinum haven't met any of the other Dex Holders, it's only a matter of time)

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
OK... If you must know I got the D/P Special half-price and I thought it was worth a shot.
Why did you get it half-priced? The thing is though that's a different case entirely so you can't really compare it. With DP they are selling the volumes full price for everyone, so just because you got it half-priced for some reason doesn't make a difference since most people won't get it half-priced. (unless Viz or some store is running some kind of special with it that I don't know about...) And the other thing is the DP volumes are full volumes and already came out in Japan first, unlike BW, so of course they'd be worth a shot. xD

LOL. You're on a Pokemon forum, honey.
LOL, so are you. Not that I have a problem with your username (because I don't), but it is kind of funny you have something related to another series for your username on a forum dedicated to everything Pokemon.

No, it's because you were the one who started being rude in the first place, and to the everyone. And technically you are being more rude than kawaii serebii, since you are being mean to everyone and some of the things you've said are far worse than anything she's said.

Oh, and I'll reply to every other one of your comments later, I'm still working on that post at the moment which is why I haven't posted it yet. (I'm almost done though)

I do want to say though, to everyone else out there, thanks for the support guys. I really appreciate it.

In all honesty, Kawai was being rude too. You make yourself look like an idiot by name calling, and make the rest of us look like brainless fan people. Name calling is bad on any side of the debate. In such cases, it's best to call someone out on bad behavior, even if that person is on your side.
It's not like it's all Kuriboh's fault. :/ (also, his choice of username doesn't really matter either. I mean. it's not like you don't see other non-pokemon related user names here...)

This debate is going downhill fast.
Doubt that we can reach a consensus, but here is my last opinion on the matter:
Even though releasing the BW manga while it's not even finished (by finished I mean in Tankobon form, or at least the first volume) seems really weird to us (the ones who know about the rest of Pokemon Special), VIZ is still cashing in on this, whether we like it or not. It's not like most of the people who buy Pokemon Adventures know about the rest of the series (unless for some odd reason, they all go on the internet, but I doubt smaller children would know how to navigate through the internet). Also, for you guys who say the hype will be over in the summer, that isn't true. if it was, then why would people buy manga from the RBY, GSC era? Viz probably isn't backing out on this, and we can't really do anything about it. The least we can do is continue buying Pokemon Adventures (whether that includes the BW ones coming out in July is up to you), so that they know that fans really want this manga stateside. I certainly will buy the BW ones because I want to support Viz translations of Pokemon Adventures since I can't import them from Singapore, and I'm not gonna be picky like some people were over some stupid censors. It's all we have. Besides, if they do decide the release complete volumes of BW arc once they come out, I will buy them too.

Ok
gonna leave this debate now while I still can...

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Huh. So it looks like the volumes will be shorter than usual. I was just sort of guessing when I said that the price might be a sign of a shorter volume, but it looks like that's actually the case. Amazing how I get my best ideas when I've barely woken up haha. I'm wondering why they've decided to release two small volumes rather than wait for the first BW volume to be released in Japan. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they just want to build on all the BW hype at the moment. Well, at least it's something.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
What arguing? I see none. Mind pointing some examples out, bro? or miss?

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
no, i tend to avoid tedious and repetatively monotinous conversations. lol.

...soz, i felt like showing off with big words.

ON TOPIC- Okay, letters to Viz... i think it can work, but we need to flood them silly with complaints.

^
I hope you were not mocking me. Because that isn't nice either. (and it makes you look like a jerk)

Also, take caution that you don't complain too much. They may decide not to translate Adventures anymore if you do.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
@Dreamingflower: Please, commas. They're your best friend and make it real easy to read what you wrote. Not trying to be mean, but after a while, the words blurred together and I had a hard time reading it.

This debate is going downhill fast.
Doubt that we can reach a consensus, but here is my last opinion on the matter:
Even though releasing the BW manga while it's not even finished (by finished I mean in Tankobon form, or at least the first volume) seems really weird to us (the ones who know about the rest of Pokemon Special), VIZ is still cashing in on this, whether we like it or not. It's not like most of the people who buy Pokemon Adventures know about the rest of the series (unless for some odd reason, they all go on the internet, but I doubt smaller children would know how to navigate through the internet). Also, for you guys who say the hype will be over in the summer, that isn't true. if it was, then why would people buy manga from the RBY, GSC era? Viz probably isn't backing out on this, and we can't really do anything about it. The least we can do is continue buying Pokemon Adventures (whether that includes the BW ones coming out in July is up to you), so that they know that fans really want this manga stateside. I certainly will buy the BW ones because I want to support Viz translations of Pokemon Adventures since I can't import them from Singapore, and I'm not gonna be picky like some people were over some stupid censors. It's all we have. Besides, if they do decide the release complete volumes of BW arc once they come out, I will buy them too.

Might want to go learn what hype means. The hype will be over in the summer because hype starts declining when the whatever it is comes out. Hype is the stuff that get fans foaming at the mouth, impatient, and overly excited to buy whatever it being hyped. And your example was awful; hype != fan. There are many people that can be hyped and yet not fans of whatever it is. The people buying the RGBY and GSC arcs are [hardcore] fans (long time ones usually). The hype for that was over years ago. The buying of those books has nothing to do with hype.

Viz already knows we want the series/arcs stateside. That's why they think they can pull this crap and make moolah off it. Just because we don't buy these mini-volumes doesn't mean we don't want the BW arc. In fact, buying these mini-volumes shows that Viz has us eating out of their hands and all we doing is supporting this idea of releasing incomplete stuff. The more sales they get, the more they think, "They really love this! Let's do it again!" And guess what? You just contributed to a problem that could of been avoided and Viz will start doing this crap with every arc.
You can support Viz, but you're supporting bad business practice, which is exactly what this is. It's bad business and very short-term. It works for window of time and after that window, it fails. Meaning, they get a lot of money at one time and very little money from it after the window closes. If these mini-volumes were released on March 1st, for example, then the sales would be high and a lot of money is coming in. But, by April, the sales would be low and they would be making little money.

Rather than buying these mini-volumes, why not show Viz we just want the full volumes for full price? Viz pays attention to sales figures not some words on a forum; your words here mean nothing to them compared to the money you give. You can be saying, "I dislike this, but I want to support them to have the arc out here." but all Viz is seeing, "I want more of these mini-volumes!" via the sales figures. You're supporting the concept of mini-volumes not Viz themselves, which can do just as well when they release full volumes. That would more likely tell them, "I want Adventures here, but I want full volumes." more than anything.

Well, I guess the best way to put it is that think of this release as getting the magazines ourselves. It's not like the Japanese have to wait for the volume releases to have an idea of what's going on. And while I'm very grateful to be able to read the scanlations of that one person who gets the Shogaku magazine, I still wish to be able to read the chapters from the other magazines, and I'm pretty impatient and don't want to wait two probable years. I'm actually starting to look forward to the Viz release.

I'm sorry, but the Japanese have every right to get manga they create before the volumes come out. Why? Because they created a system that works to make volumes come out. They just don't create volumes out of every manga. We, on the other hand, do not have that right nor do we have the system. Every volume that comes out here has to come out in Japan first, which isn't guaranteed. So, there could be plenty manga series in magazines that never got a volume released and ones that we'll never see. The first part of that sounded arrogant as if we have the right to manga like the Japanese do when we did/do nothing. That's why we should make do what we do have rather than being impatient and greedy. I want to read the other chapters too, but I know the wait brings better satisfaction to reading the arc. After all, I see the magazine chapters of PokeSpe as inferior anyways and that makes waiting even better as I know I'll be getting a superior version. Something that's more to Kusaka's liking. But, that's just me.

Don't forget, the Best of Red and the Best of Yellow were horribly squished versions of the actual volumes, but they sold so well that Viz decided to rerelease the whole series. I'm sure once the BW arc gets its real volumes, they'll sell really well too and that the mini-releases will help out with that.

Actually, those Best of books can't be compared to these mini-volumes. At the time the Best of books were the only way to tell Viz we wanted the series out in America. They were like the test manga I mentioned; these mini-volumes are not. 1dbad had a point when he said that these mini-volumes could very well backfire. Since the kids (not the older teens and adults) won't know they're reading incomplete chapters, they're not going to buy the same manga again. Because they won't know they're different. The same thing would of happened with KH. When KH II was released, it sold really well, but when the FM+ version was released in Japan, the fans mentioned parents won't buy it again if it was released here as they would think it's the same game (even though it wasn't; FM+ was superior). And that's true; there's no way to tell the difference between those games and these mini-volumes and the full ones. The only thing that would give a hint is the thickness, but the parents or kids aren't going to pick it up again once they see the cover. The mini-volumes aren't going to help the full volumes get better sales, but are more likely hinder them.

^
I hope you were not mocking me. Because that isn't nice either. (and it makes you look like a jerk)

Also, take caution that you don't complain too much. They may decide not to translate Adventures anymore if you do.

Not likely. They'll more likely just ignore him, especially if he's the only one. But, if all of us to start sending mails, then they will notice and will say something on it. As long as we're not rude.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
^

I don't think he was, if anything I think he was more of referring to me and some other posters, lol.

And that's true, but I think as long as we just mention that we're only unhappy about their BW release it'll be fine. But I guess we could all put like special disclaimers in our messages saying that we're only unhappy about their BW release (and happy with their older arc and DP release) or something. Although I don't really think they'd stop their release over Adventures over the whole over complains since it seems to be doing too well.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I got really upset when Viz made a "spin-off" of "Platinum" it felt like they were taking the bonds of the Dex Holders and throwing them away...(even though Dia, Pearl and Platinum haven't met any of the other Dex Holders, it's only a matter of time)

It's not a spinoff and they're not marketing it as such. Think of how the anime uses different names for each season despite being a continuous series.

More to the overall point, I don't see what you guys are getting up in arms about. It used to be that we'd get single issues and then a collected volume of those issues. This could very well be exactly what Japan gets--ie, a single chapter now, a bound volume with relevant changes later. You guys are honestly jumping the gun in assuming that it'll suck just because it's quick.

ForeverFlame

Writing letters to Viz? Are you serious? Viz is the master of ignoring angry fans. There's a legion of fans boycotting Viz over them canceling Monster, and Viz hasn't even spoken a word about it.

They're just going out of their way to capitalize on the Black and White hype train. They missed the train for Diamond and Pearl because of Special being so goddamn slow, so getting the chapters directly from the magazine is their only option to maximize hype.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Writing letters to Viz? Are you serious? Viz is the master of ignoring angry fans. There's a legion of fans boycotting Viz over them canceling Monster, and Viz hasn't even spoken a word about it.

They're just going out of their way to capitalize on the Black and White hype train. They missed the train for Diamond and Pearl because of Special being so goddamn slow, so getting the chapters directly from the magazine is their only option to maximize hype.
Yes, we are. And well, Viz most likely never would speak a word about it. The most they might do is reply to a letter or email about it sometime, but I doubt they would go out of their way to make a public comment about it. And while true, that isn't always the case. I know someone who wrote in to Viz about Special and they responded almost immediately. So as long as we do it, and enough people do, we very well could get a response. Even if they don't do it we might still get reply about it at the very least.

And we know that. Everyone knows that, and I haven't seen one person deny that. And that's not true that them missing the train for Diamond and Pearl is Special's fault. It's Viz's fault. Special started releasing their volumes for DP in 2008, and had Viz started their release of them by then they wouldn't have missed getting to ride on the hype train. DP was still fairly recent around that time, and with Platinum coming out soon there would still be a hype to ride on. So while a bit of it is Special's fault for being slow, the majority of it is Viz's fault. Actually they could have cashed in on a lot of game release hype had they continued their original release or started their rerelease sooner. That is true that getting the magazine chapters is the only way to maximize the hype right now though.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
In all honesty, Kawai was being rude too. You make yourself look like an idiot by name calling, and make the rest of us look like brainless fan people. Name calling is bad on any side of the debate. In such cases, it's best to call someone out on bad behavior, even if that person is on your side.
It's not like it's all Kuriboh's fault. :/ (also, his choice of username doesn't really matter either. I mean. it's not like you don't see other non-pokemon related user names here...)
I didn't start being rude. I don't see you coming up with something better or similar to respond. 'Brainless fan people'? Guy/Girl, please recheck your spelling, vocabulary and grammar. I called names? Examples please. I'm all ok for putting this behind and focusing on the BW chapters or writing to Viz about it.

Evilchibi_pichu>> I like your definition of Viz's business here XD Mind if I copy for a blog post?

1dbad>> I'm behind you for the writing to Viz thing. Most likely Viz is riding the BW hype and got the license to publish the chapters early /nods. That would probably be one of the many responses they will give you

@Evil Chibi: Ok. I see your point. Though. That still won't deter me from not buying. I want to get them to see what they do in those smaller issues. That is just my personal opinion. I'm not telling everyone to go buy them/not buy them.

@ Kawaii: The point is that BOTH of you were being rude. I don't care who started it. Also, I said fan people because I was referring to both guys and girls. Finally..
Wow. I didn't know people had to go through The Almight Card Duelist in order to be a debator /sarcasm
Go back to your children's card games and your censored 4Kids crap.
This is probably one of the lower points one can go in a debate.
You try to downplay him based on what he likes.
So who is the child here? Someone who likes Yu-Gi-oh? or the bully who makes fun of them for it?
I don't care if you don't like these shows, other people do. It's also bad for Kuriboh to start assuming everyone is whining too.

Also. You guys can go ahead and write letters, I won't stop you or judge.
oo;; I was just stating what I felt. I don't like making people mad.