• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Viz release of PokeSpe BW, July 2011

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
To be honest with you guys. This doesn't even look legit; fussing over something that hasn't even been directly confirmed seems pretty...well; stupid. Of course Pokemon Adventures isn't being released in a few months in the US. When have we ever gotten any volume before Japan. More importantly; why would we.
The cover isn't legit, since it's fanmade (?) and is just a placeholder for the official cover which will be revealed later. But Viz releasing a Pokemon Black/White manga series is very much legit, since they've confirmed it with a big press release. And while it isn't confirmed to be Pokemon Adventures (yet), what is making everyone worry that it is is this quote from their press release. It's the description for the two Pokemon Black/White volumes they plan on releasing.
Meet Pokémon Trainers Black and White! White has a burgeoning career as a Trainer of performing Pokémon. Black is about to embark on a Training Journey to explore the Unova region and fill a Pokédex for Prof. Juniper. Who will Black choose as his first Pokémon? Who would you choose…? Plus, meet brand-new Pokémon Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott, and many more never-before-seen Pokémon from the unexplored Unova region!
Now the Black part is kind of odd, since his goal is to beat the Gym Leaders and Elite Four/Champion (not to travel or fill his Pokedex), but the White part is very spot on to Special. (which is why people are worrying that it is Special) White's goal in Special/Adventures is to raise the best Pokemon actor/actress, so saying she is a trainer with a career of training performing Pokemon is definitely true of our Adventures White. (and not any other Pokemon BW manga, as far as I know)

So who knows right now. I do hope you are right we are worrying over nothing and that this won't be true or it'll actually just be another manga. Guess we'll soon find out.

And okay, I have PLENTY more to respond to in this thread (almost every comment after my first post in this thread, actually xD) but I'll get around to it later. So everyone be on the look-out later since I'll most likely respond to you, lol.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
im sure this wont happen. their not even done with gsc yet.
oh yeah, quote me here-

Chuang Yi uses Google Translator.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
^ not worth quoting but worth answering anyway

Oh mai. I've been paying 9 bucks for paper printed with Google Translate? /dramatic gasp

=______= not another one

1dbad>> Actually... Considering how many BW mangas out there, how many of them actually show White/Whitlea/Hilda? Special is the only manga I've seen that has White in it

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Of all the manga we know (and it's possible we don't know a few), absolutely none. All the BW manga that are out and we know of (a quick search shows a few), and excluding Pocket Monsters, mostly have Black; one has Belle and Cheren, another has N and Team Plasma, but no White. And a few have original characters. Sadly, she seems largely ignored and only PokeSpe has done anything with her so far.

Last edited:
So it looks like there will be 3-4 chapters per release. Okay. I (think) I can live with that, and once the official volumes get released (in probably 1 and a half years), there'll probably be a second edition.

Maxim

Beyond repair
Ah, so they're going back to the "Shitty short books first, then the full volumes" format again?

I think this is one of the things that KILLED the original edition of Viz's Pokemon Adventures. Not the best way to go.

I also hope that "Pokemon Black & White" is just a working title and it'll be changed to "Pokemon Adventures: Black & White". Not just because I want them to be consistent, I also want to see AT LEAST ONE non-Special BW-based manga in Viz's translation (either Hero of Thunder & Fire or Good Partners, if they get tankobonned).

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
A 3rd and 4th volume release in November? ... Will the actual BW volumes even be out then?
Yeah I know, that kind of surprised me as well. Apparently they plan to just keep releasing the magazine chapters for right now, and it seems the pattern is two volumes every...5 months I believe? (I'm tired so I may be figuring wrong)
And no they won't. The Japanese volumes just got to volume 38, which was the end of the DP arc and the start of the Platinum arc. And granted Platinum, and the arc after it (HeartGold/SoulSilver), will take up about 3-4 volumes at least, it probably won't be until late 2012 if not early 2013 before we start getting Black and White released in actual volumes. (remember, Japan's rate of release is four volumes a year)

You know though, I've calmed down a bit I hate to say. Thinking about it, Viz is probably just doing this to focus on the most recent chapters so we have something up-to-date while their other two Adventures releases are working on catching us up. And with the BW releases planned to be small books, I think that means that this isn't going to be treated as an actual graphic volume, meaning they probably will release the actual Japanese BW volumes (when they come out) as a second edition or something. It's not confirmed but that's just something I'm speculating.

kawaii serebii

PokeSpe Collector
^ and pray how are they going to get the missing Striaton chapters? Spamming Kusaka and Yamamoto? That would just confuse fans wouldn't it? It's just like a US version of Sho4 and PokeFan.

Oh screw this so badly. What's the point of getting a slightly smaller book with probably 3 or 4 chapters when patience will eventually get me the usual 10 chapters per volume

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Oh screw this so badly. What's the point of getting a slightly smaller book with probably 3 or 4 chapters when patience will eventually get me the usual 10 chapters per volume

I totally agree. I am sure they won't be a big hit because all of the missing chapters. Unless people are really stupid to buy an unfinished manga that you can look up on Inet. Viz will loose some money because of their lack of patience.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
You know though, I've calmed down a bit I hate to say. Thinking about it, Viz is probably just doing this to focus on the most recent chapters so we have something up-to-date while their other two Adventures releases are working on catching us up. And with the BW releases planned to be small books, I think that means that this isn't going to be treated as an actual graphic volume, meaning they probably will release the actual Japanese BW volumes (when they come out) as a second edition or something. It's not confirmed but that's just something I'm speculating.

I understand what you're saying, but it feels like an empty acceptance and an attempt to see a good light in it, I'm sorry. I know you're not trying to seem that why, but it's just the feeling I got. If they want to be up-to-date, then catch up; don't go half way and trying to cut corners in attempt to seem like they're on the ball. That's how fans stop supporting you; if I was going to buy a manga, I want it to be complete not something small and incomplete and expect to pay the full amount of money again when it is unless it's a test manga to see if people will buy it. (Like Bobo. As Viz already knows PokeSpe is wanted in English, so it isn't a test.) They should of known when they took up finishing Special that they lost a lot of time and have to suffer the consequences of it. The fans shouldn't have to suffer through their wallets for something Viz want to do for their own sake.

Besides, chances are is that the people that are buying the manga in the first place are the ones that have been waiting a long time. There's next to no demand for the English PokeSpe BW arc (at least I haven't seen it?) to be released asap. It isn't Naruto or Bleach, after all.

^ and pray how are they going to get the missing Striaton chapters? Spamming Kusaka and Yamamoto? That would just confuse fans wouldn't it? It's just like a US version of Sho4 and PokeFan.

This so much. It's pointless to release short books when they can wait to have the bigger ones. All they're doing is wasting paper, ink, and money just to jump on this stupid bandwagon. How many kids are actually going to go look for the BW arc manga? I don't think the kids (the "main" audience) are going to be crying, "We want BW manga of Adventures!!" when they rather play games.

If it is Shōgakukan that's deciding this, then more than ever do I want Kusaka to quit them and head elsewhere or head online. I'll be more than happy to pay a bit of money for PokeSpe online even if I do love having the books.

Last edited:

WheelerTheViper

Procrastinate Today!
This so much. It's pointless to release short books when they can wait to have the bigger ones. All they're doing is wasting paper, ink, and money just to jump on this stupid bandwagon. How many kids are actually going to go look for the BW arc manga? I don't think the kids (the "main" audience) are going to be crying, "We want BW manga of Adventures!!" when they rather play games.

You know, if you guys don't like it, NOBODY is forcing you to buy it.

Honestly, most kids aren't going going to notice missing chapters because they won't know there are any. I'm assuming the Adventures line must be doing pretty well since they will now be releasing 3 simultaneous arcs of it, so why not release more? Honestly, I probably won't buy the BW editions until the potential full re-release, but I hardly think this is worth making such a fuss over, even if it is a bit odd.

Heck, a lot of us bought Black and White even though the inevitable third version will probably be better, just 'cause we couldn't bring ourselves to wait a year or so. People will end up buying those mini BW volumes.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
Gray Version's got 2 years until release. don't bring up its future manga, or there will be a rant about what the story is. meh, i think its not Adventures. if it were, they would have a 6 saga deep abyss which was supposed to be RSE to HGSS

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
You know, if you guys don't like it, NOBODY is forcing you to buy it.

Honestly, most kids aren't going going to notice missing chapters because they won't know there are any. I'm assuming the Adventures line must be doing pretty well since they will now be releasing 3 simultaneous arcs of it, so why not release more? Honestly, I probably won't buy the BW editions until the potential full re-release, but I hardly think this is worth making such a fuss over, even if it is a bit odd.

It's not about being forced to buy, because I don't buy it in the first place. I'm mad because this decision reeks of dumb and greediness. I frankly don't see the point nor do I see why people can't sit down and wait.

It doesn't take a genius to realize something is missing if it's connected to the plot. We're not talking about filler (which PokeSpe has very little of in the first place), but actual important chapters. Even kids would be confused and think something is missing. And as I mentioned, I really hate when companies do this when it isn't needed. It makes them look bad and since Viz releases good manga like Bobo and were willing to do so despite Bobo being disliked a bunch over here, I don't want them to be acting like this.

Heck, a lot of us bought Black and White even though the inevitable third version will probably be better, just 'cause we couldn't bring ourselves to wait a year or so. People will end up buying those mini BW volumes.

The difference is is that B&W can stand alone just like the third version. The third version has always been just more extras as such all three can be seen as complete. These mini BW vols aren't complete (as we know of, unless they get missing chapters that we are thinking missing at the moment) and that makes all the difference. And yeah, people will and they'll be idiots once they get the actual vols and realize they wasted money. I'm starting to calm down once I think of how smart Viz actually is now....

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

I'm totally going to blow you're mind here but...

Maybe Viz is releasing Balck and White early to cash in on the people who don't give a damn about PokeSpec's longwinded plotlines and instead just want an adaption of the game they're currently playing?

It's not stupid. It's logical. Nobody except the hardcore Special fans would want the Ruby/Sapphire (or Emerald or whatever) saga atm and it doesn't even mean they're putting those releases on hiatus.

Whine fanboys! WHINE!

ForeverFlame

Ummm yeah. I`m going to wait for the longer volumes with the extra content from the Japanese volumes. You know .that Viz will end up releasing them... some day

Smaller volumes would just look awkward on my shelf anyway. It`s bad enough that DPPt is a separate series...

timpkmn89

Stop blaming Viz for everything. It's much more likely Nintendo just wanted a manga to go along with their US marketing blitz for Black and White. This is, I believe, the first time that a series is being released physically in the US before the Japanese volumes, and that probably required a lot of pull from Nintendo. I seriously doubt Viz would do this on their own alongside 10 volumes a year.