• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Voice-acting in the Pokemon main series?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
When it comes to the idea of voice-acting in most Nintendo franchises, the idea is usually shot down simply because it's just hard to imagine so many silent protagonists spouting one word having voices. Pokemon however is kind of a different story since it's not as isolated to a video game series as it's other Nintendo counterparts. The franchise has spun anime, music, manga and even further from that, other spinoffs from those adaptations. There has even been some voice acting in the games through the Pokemon Announcer. That being said, I honestly don't think it will ever feel out-of-place if they bring in voice acting however for many fans, I feel that it may also feel unnecessary at first since the game series has largely been without it. However if it does happen, it might feel like a neccessity later on, that you have to have it. I'm not saying it is but it could feel like it.

As Pokemon is advancing further and further in more technologically capable consoles and this is not only Nintendo's biggest RPG series but arguably the biggest RPG series in the world, I feel like one generation GameFreak is going to consider voice acting. However on the downside, depending on how you see it, that would mean a bigger budget and more development time into the acting section. One of the reasons I feel like GameFreak is able to push out quality-made titles in short time then other RPG series is that they don't rely on voice acting but if it does happen, it could possibly be a permanent norm that fans are expecting. So what do you think of the idea of voice acting in your games?

Aetius

Why not? I mean, even Zelda put voice acting in one of his games (BOTW) after many years of "silent characters".
Personally, I wouldn't mind, not at all.

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
I think small voice acting scenes are enough. Like, the Pikachu sounds for it's new voice is really annoying to me simply because it's just fanservice. However, I don't mind small voices for the people of the Pokemon world. Maybe hikers can have a low pitch for their speaking roles and hex manics can have sparatic sounds for their text sounds.

There are many ways they can go about this. There isn't a singular way to go about it.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I don't think voice acting would be an important thing to add to the games. Even if they had voice acting I'd only want to see it in cinematics or important story scenes.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Honestly I don't know what it add ..... I mean I wouldn't mind it to some degree, but the stories in Pokemon games aren't quite to the level they should be to really warrant voice action....

....that said it be fun to hear characters use Pokemon names so we can learn thr pronunciations of alot of em.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think it would be nice for cutscenes, but that's about it.

I do think we're slowly getting to the point, graphic-wise, where voice acting would be okay.

Ashton Ketchum

For me now - 50/50. It can be like in latest Zelda. But also - I think, there is chance for voice acting for Pokemon. And all Pokemon be sounded like in anime (not only Pikachu and Eevee). Plus - there is good chance for special event Meowth with voice of Team Rocket Meowth, who can speak for each country on local language "Meowth! That's right!" (and "Something like that!" in Japan).

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I wouldn't be really interested in it, I'd rather have them spend their resources elsewhere. Keep voice acting in the anime where characters actually have more of a personality. I think it'd also be weird to have different voices for the same characters between the anime and the games. Of course they could keep the same actors for certain languages, but if you have to play a different language game from the language you watch the anime in because GF doesn't translate the games in your language it's unavoidable.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
English Pokemon voice acting is typically hit or miss. Mostly miss(coughPokkencough). So from a personal opinion, I'd rather we not do this until I can assure we'll get quality voice acting. Haven't played Detective Pikachu so I don't know if it's improved much since then.

But Pokemon games are getting more and more cinematic lately, so I guess it'll be silly to still just have everyone be mute fifteen years or so down the line.

I think it'd also be weird to have different voices for the same characters between the anime and the games.

The B2W2 and ORAS animated trailers had completely different voice actors for characters in the anime in both English and Japanese, so it's not like it'd be unprecedented.

Also lots of video games with voice acting typically retain their voice actors when they receive an animated adaptation. In Japanese at least.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I've never thought there should be voice acting in the games. I prefer they actually took their time to create explorable regions and larger rosters for Trainers. Hopefully the Pokemon keep their cries instead of saying their names like in the show.

MiloticTwins

Ash's Totodile, Brock's Marshtomp, Misty's Corsola and Azurill, James's Mime Jr. and Giovanni's Frillish have been missing their current voice actresses because Kayzie Rogers have retired from their former job position as their voice actress, so do you think that the voice director find the other available voice actresses as them?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I'm going to voice why it is a bad idea.

You know how Rotom Dex is annoying... especially in US/UM.

"Here is when I give you advise you didn't ask for!" Imagine having to actually hear that? Do you want to hear something like that over and over again?

Looking at a blue butterfly and having a flash back of one telling me to listen to her.