• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Volcanic Panic! (059)

JohnLee

I love the song that plays when they throw rocks in the Volcano, and the one during the first part of the fight.

Yeah, I love this episode. :)

This episode was very exciting! It kept me on the edge of my couch the entire time! Gotta love the good ole Kanto days.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
This was and still is my all-time favorite gym battle. Charizard rapes magmar with an epic seismic toss.

G50

No longer posting
My 2nd favorite gym battle. It was really cool seeing Charizard battle Magmar and winning! I liked how it dodged Magmar's Fire Blast attack, and survived being thrown into the lava.

60/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
I think this was my favourite Gym battle in Kanto. I liked how the battle was fought on the volcano because it made things seem much more intense and dramatic. I also really liked seeing Charizard`s Seismic Toss for the first time. I was also glad that Charizard listened to Ash during the battle, since I would have been really mad if it just fell asleep or something like it did in the Pokemon League. My favourite part of this episode was after the battle when Charizard burned Ash. xD

TheEpicGoomba

I loved this episode. It was epic to see Charizard listen to Ash for once and to see Magmar. It was extreamly cool to see the battle at the top of the Volcano. Blaine looks compleatly different in the games. 10/10

Vernikova

Champion
My second or third favorite gym battle in Kanto. It was really good since it was an actual finished battle unlike most of the other gym battles in Kanto. Having the battle on top of the volcano was pretty cool too.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Again with taking things to the extreme. It should be against the 'Gym rules' to have to battle in areas that can cause potential death to a Pokémon, yet Blaine tells Ash that he would be disqualified as a trainer to continue battling as his Pikachu may end up in the lava... makes no sense to me. It was nice to see Charizard actually help the other Pokémon in stopping the lava flow. It was funny to see Team Rocket being so stupid in the first place to cause all that while they were in the Gym theselves. The last battle where Charizard wins was a good one, although with it being a fire type and having a burning tail, I didn't really think for a second that it actually died when it was taken under the lava. I think this whole episode teaches that Blaine needs to sort out his deadly Gym...

Cool battle between Charizard and Magmar, and great that Charizard still didn't listen, even though battling Magmar.

However, fighting on a dangerous terrain which might kill Pokemon should be forbidden by law. It is dangerous, and a gym battle isn't worth the life of an innocent Pokemon who just did what his/her trainer told him/her to do.

Also good of Ash to quit in the first battle. As I said, Pikachu's life is more important than a battle and a badge.

GREAT episode.Magmar and Charizard's battle was great!! I loved Onix, Geodude, Pikachu, Togepi, Magmar, and Charizard working together to put out the magma with the boulders. I liked seeing Misty's Pokemon here. Misty should have been able to star here with her Water Pokemon. Epsecially Horsea!!! It would have been better if this were the episode where Charizard started to obey Ash instead of a sad emotional episode. Even Misty said that she thought Charizard was gonna start obeying him here. I loved the gag at the end about Pikachu burning Misty's bike. XD

GREAT episode.Magmar and Charizard's battle was great!! I loved Onix, Geodude, Pikachu, Togepi, Magmar, and Charizard working together to put out the magma with the boulders. I liked seeing Misty's Pokemon here. Misty should have been able to star here with her Water Pokemon. Epsecially Horsea!!! It would have been better if this were the episode where Charizard started to obey Ash instead of a sad emotional episode. Even Misty said that she thought Charizard was gonna start obeying him here. I loved the gag at the end about Pikachu burning Misty's bike. XD

I know, amazed some found it boring when in both episodes there was real peril and pikachu could have been severly hurt, even more amazing is that others are saying it was a little OTT yet some people didn't enjoy it or find it exciting?

I can actually see the point about it being OTT but for those who said they were bored with it, or the guy who moaned about sismic toss (which is a powerful attack anyway) or the numerous people who couldnt understand how a fully evolved poke's fire attack managed to overcome type disadvantages, or how pikachu used rhyorns metal to conduct electricity I think it was great, it was exciting and made perfect sense. I like the element of danger in battles. He would not of died though ash would have used the pokeball to stop it falling into the lava.

Blessed

A good episode, Charizard VS Magmar battling on top of the volcano was rather intense.

Last edited:
Ash gets another undeserved badge. Kanto has terrible gym battles. I've seen much better than this. Ash wins using a pokemon he can't even control, and the way he beat Rhydon was dumb and made no sense. Good job on your seventh badge, Ash. 6/10

32er

TM87? I got TM32 :]
Horrible episode imo, as with most other Kanto gym battles.
The Rhydon thing was retarded and would never have worked in the games. :[
4.5/10

G50

No longer posting
This episode really displayed how much heat fire type Pokemon can take, with Charizard able to go straight into the lava and be able to come out and be almost unharmed.

7threst

Well, the battle itself was probably one of the most epic moments out of the entire Kanto saga. Just the epic feeling you get from watching Charizard fighting against Blaine's most powerful Pokémon, Magmar. But, even with this in mind, Ash's didn't really do much in winning this match. Last time I checked, Charizard was still disobedient and during the match, Charizard totally disregarded Ash's commands. Therefore, Ash didn't do anything other than representing a disobedient Charizard as its trainer.

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Awesome episode. Charizard vs Magmar is my favourite battle in Kanto, and one of my favourite battles overall. This battle shows that even if most of Kanto's battles are pretty bad, even Kanto has some pearls in terms of battles.