• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Volcanic Panic! (059)

I always remember that battle being pretty darn good, and it still is. It's amazing to think how much hype Magmar was getting back then, and how it's sidelined completely now...

DarthVader

This was my favourite gym battle in the Kanto region, and possibly all the other regions. Charizard is awesome!

TheMewster

Pokémon Connoisseur
Best gym battle Ash had in the Indigo League!
Charizard versus Magmar on top of a volcano?
NOW THAT'S A FIGHT!

NPT

Just a member
This episode picked up where "Riddle me This!" left off. Pikachu was hurt by Magmar's fire blast, so Ash gives up the battle to challenge Blaine later. After Team Rocket's Ice blaster freezes Blaine's place....Ice on the hot rock causes a chain reaction and the volcano starts to erupt. Lave starts to flow from the Volcano, so Blaine sends out Magmar to stop the flow by throwing rocks. Ash sends out Charizard to help, but instead of helping....Charizard lazily lies down. Charizard watches Magmar and throwing the stones into flow and realizes that it's a strong Pokémon, so Charizard decides to help. After stopping the flow Ash and Blaine has an One-on-One match on the top of the volcano. Charizard manages to defeat magmar(even though it didn't listen to Ash) in the battle and Ash gets the Volcano badge. Then we see Misty raging about her stupid bike as the episode ends.

With the exception of "Electric Shock Showdown!" and "The Ninja Poke-Showdown", the gym battles in the Kanto saga were'nt good at all. Compared to the great gym battles in the episodes- "From Ghost to Ghost!", "Who's Flying Now!", "Nice Pryce, bady!(what a sucky dub title!)","Nerves of Steelix!","Balance of Power!"..... most of the first season's gym battles just was lackluster in my opinion.
As for this gym match, it's cool! I liked the battle between Charizard and Magmar. It's cool how Charizard stopped Magmar's Fire Blast with his arms and threw it in the air. Charizard spinning Magmar in the air and Seismic Tossing it was cool as well.
It's kinda disappointing that Ash got the Volcano badge by using a disobident Pokémon in the match. Charizard mostly battled on his own, he obeyed Ash for only a few times in this episode. Oh well, at least Ash got the Gym badge by defeating the Gym Leader instead of getting a pity badge. To me, this Gym battle a hundred times better than the gym battle against Sabrina, which was lame.
I didn't like how Misty was nagging about her bike at the end, she was really annoying.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This has always been my favorite Kanto Gym battle episode. I just simply loved the one-on-one battle between Charizard and Magmar. Team Rocket's antics were funny as well; I particularly liked how Meowth was training Jessie and James at the hot springs to withstand the volcano's heat. Anyway, the volcano meltdown scenes were great.

Gillachu

Banned
This was one of the best Gym battles, seriously. Charizard defeating Blaine's Magmar with Seismic Toss defined the Kanto era of the show.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Aww I liked how Ash was washing Pikachu at the start and seeing Team Rocket blast ice inside the volcano was funny. Magmar vs Charizard was amazing, especially the Seismic Toss scene. :3

I enjoyed seeing all the Pokemon helping to throw rocks to block the magma flow + I liked how Charizard survived falling into the lava pool.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Leave it to the Rocket-dan to almost cause a volcano to go through an eruption. I thought that seeing Katsura's Boober and Satoshi's Lizardon do most of the boulder throwing was awesome, and I'm glad that they gained mutual respect for each other. The climactic showdown was enjoyable, too.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I loved how Charizard got his act together and battled Blaine's Magmar, even if it was just to try and show off his strength lol. Regardless, this was one of Ash's best Gym matches.

p96822

Evolve me please
This was interesting that Charizard listen to Ash this time around. Which I'm thinking why is that he was facing a strong opponent like Magmar.

Shayuin

Banned
TR's ice blasters causing the volcano's eruption made no sense to me and the fight between Magmar and Charizard would've been much better if Charizard had become loyal to Ash by the end.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This was interesting that Charizard listen to Ash this time around. Which I'm thinking why is that he was facing a strong opponent like Magmar.

I'm positive that Lizardon only took commands from Satoshi at the volcano's summit in this episode due to him finally having a worthy opponent. I was frustrated when Lizardon won against Boober and then went back to ignoring Satoshi, however. I thought that he should've gotten over his disobedient phase here.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. Team Rocket really are evil, trying to cause an eruption with the ice blaster guns. Magmar and Charizard are cool helping each other out by blocking the lava flow. The gym battle on top of the volcano was good and intense, but not much to it. Charizard wanted to test its own strength against Magmar. It had no intention of obeying Ash at all. It's a shame, but oh well. Ash basically won the Volcano Badge without doing anything. Ash may have gotten his badges without much work, but that's because he's a very inexperienced Pokémon Trainer starting out for the first time. He's changed a lot in the future, however.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Good episode. Team Rocket really are evil, trying to cause an eruption with the ice blaster guns.

I haven't seen the dubbed version in ages, but I thought that their main agenda at the volcano was to capture Boober, not necessarily to cause an eruption, which would've just killed them.

Vipsoccermaster

I haven't seen the dubbed version in ages, but I thought that their main agenda at the volcano was to capture Boober, not necessarily to cause an eruption, which would've just killed them.
Actually, this is true, but they failed because Magmar's heat basically thawed out its ice from Team Rocket on its own. Then they basically repeatedly fired the ice around the walls of the volcano, which wasn't the ideal solution. Did they think that doing so would made it easier to catch Magmar?