• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Volcarona Discussion

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Fighting, water, and psychic types take out steel, rock, ground, normal, and fighting types that often run stone edge/rock slide. A baton passer for defense boost could help(focus sash Smeagle comes to mind with spore, iron defense, then baton pass) that could compensate for it's low defense and following up with quiver dance makes it extremely dangerous.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
Fighting, water, and psychic types take out steel, rock, ground, normal, and fighting types that often run stone edge/rock slide. A baton passer for defense boost could help(focus sash Smeagle comes to mind with spore, iron defense, then baton pass) that could compensate for it's low defense and following up with quiver dance makes it extremely dangerous.

Hmmkay anyone in particular?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Rotom-W works well, since Water covers Rock and Electric handles Water. Celebi and Virizion also pairs well against Rock and Water. On a Sun team Sawsbuck and Venusaur take advantage of Chlorophyll. And add someone with Rapid Spin (Tentacruel?) to eliminate SR.

I'd recommend against using Volc as a lead. Use Team Preview to your advantage to scout of obvious threats, such as Heatran, Terrakion, and [insert Water type]. Eliminate them, use Rapid Spin, and find someone to set up off of. Beware of fairly random users of Rock attacks, however.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Hmmkay anyone in particular?

For a sweepers Starmie(Psychic/water covers 2 major annoyances) and Meinshao(has great stats and the combo can cause good damage and healing) life orb/regenerator combo.

For walls or bulky pokemon you could try Swampert(physical attacker with good bulk and Volcarno covers it's only weakness) Bronzong/Metagross for handling fighting types, and Cronkeldurr for eliminating stuff like Tyranitar and other rock types.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
I'd recommend against using Volc as a lead. Use Team Preview to your advantage to scout of obvious threats, such as Heatran, Terrakion, and [insert Water type]. Eliminate them, use Rapid Spin, and find someone to set up off of. Beware of fairly random users of Rock attacks, however.

I would like to just get past the Subway first....
I mean I get what yer saying and all though. :(

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
It isn't volcarona's defence that is the problem, true, it does get OHKO'd by CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet, but they're fairly uncommon. The main problem is that it totally relies on spin support and is countered by many common pokemon in the metagame, such as scarf terrakion, jellicent, heatran/dragonite.

Once it's counters are gone, there's nothing much to stop it from sweeping, so it makes a decent late-game sweeper. However, Volcarona certainly isn't as good as other people make out, in my opinion.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
It isn't volcarona's defence that is the problem, true, it does get OHKO'd by CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet, but they're fairly uncommon. The main problem is that it totally relies on spin support and is countered by many common pokemon in the metagame, such as scarf terrakion, jellicent, heatran/dragonite.

Once it's counters are gone, there's nothing much to stop it from sweeping, so it makes a decent late-game sweeper. However, Volcarona certainly isn't as good as other people make out, in my opinion.
Actually, this time last year when it was first revealed people were thinking it would be the new Yanmega. Then people found out it got Quiver Dance. Then some good people made some good sets and played smartly with them and it got on the suspect list.

Everything's got its weaknesses; if not then it would be uber. It's not like Excadrill where you can just set it out and sweep; it takes sklill and strategy to win with Volc. In the real world, this is what we call risk and reward.

Eranu™

I've had most trouble with the HP grass set.
too bad it's so weak to stealth rock otherwise it'd be one of the if not the best poke of gen 5.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Ok, you clearly didn't look anything up. Flaws:
Quiver dance isn't a signature move. It can be learned by butterfree, venomoth, lilligant, and other bugs.
Fiery dance boosts by 100%, not mention is 100 bp.
Forget Hurricane! it's a move meant for rain teams, not fire types like Volcrona.
Big mention-Defence although it is neutral to ground type moves, usually an earthquake will do more than 50% of Volcrona's health.

Moves I suggest:
Morning sun if you are planning to use it as a special wall. In the sun, it's a good source of healing.
As Dento would say-Solarbeam!!! Even if someone takes your sun, Volcrona has enough special bulk to carry through.
Another thing- Magnet rise is an awesome move that evades ground type moves. It's fast enough to use it, and for 5 turns you really levitate.

I have one, mild, and this is his set-
Heat wave
Bug buzz
Quiver dance
Psychic

This guy has perfect coverage. This is best bug there is.

Eranu™

Quiver dance isn't a signature move. It can be learned by butterfree, venomoth, lilligant, and other bugs.
Forget Hurricane! it's a move meant for rain teams, not fire types like Volcrona.
Big mention-Defence although it is neutral to ground type moves, usually an earthquake will do more than 50% of Volcrona's health.

Moves I suggest:
Morning sun if you are planning to use it as a special wall. In the sun, it's a good source of healing.
As Dento would say-Solarbeam!!! Even if someone takes your sun, Volcrona has enough special bulk to carry through.
Another thing- Magnet rise is an awesome move that evades ground type moves. It's fast enough to use it, and for 5 turns you really levitate.

Heat wave
Bug buzz
Quiver dance
Psychic

You clearly didn't look anything up.
Rain volcarona is a viable set, it's even good.
Fiery dance has a 50% chance of raising Sp Atk.
It's not weak to ground types. And i'm not even sure if it even can learn magnet rise.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
You clearly didn't look anything up.
Rain volcarona is a viable set, it's even good.
Fiery dance has a 50% chance of raising Sp Atk.
It's not weak to ground types. And i'm not even sure if it even can learn magnet rise.

Rain is a viable option(though it is limited to hidden power water and hurricane being the only moves that take advantage of rain while taking more damage from hurricane(sorry it just hits more often) and water moves) and magnet rise is an egg move(pretty sure it is.) and your right it does take neutral damage from ground. As for partner as I mention in a previous post Swampert works but Gastrodon is better(storm drain nulifies all water attacks and gives it a s.atk boost.) Quagsire and Seimitoad are alternative options but both are outclassed by Swampert and Gastrodon. As mention ealier by another person it does need rapid spin support(for a rain team starmie or Blastoise and for other teams Donphan and Claydol.)

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD

Moves I suggest:

Heat wave
Bug buzz
Quiver dance
Psychic

a) Quiver Dance might not be exclusive to its line, but it's obviously the best user of it.
b) False.
c) To Solarbeam: Physical attacks and weather dependency say hi. Plus your opponent can always switch if you need to spend a turn fihrin up ur lazurh
d) Hurricane's in the movepool, so I listed it. Doesn't mean it's viable (I certainly never use it), but it's one of its few non-STAB attacks.
e) A strong investment in defense allows you to get more QDs in. These make you faster, bulkier, and gives you more power to break walls like Chansey/Blissey. Obviously 2 QBs are better than one, so why stop with only one? Plus the Burn chance makes you more bulky.
f) I got a Morning Sun moveset listed.
g) Why should Volc use Magnet Rise? Like I said, Volc's first 3 moves are pretty much the same (QB + Bug Buzz + Fire STAB). You sacrifice any chance of recoverability from Rest/Morning Sun or additional coverage from another attack. An immunity to one type's not worth wasting a move.

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Odd as it sounds, I've lost count of the number of times I've taken out a volcarona with my scizor...

Anyway...

Volcarona, imo, should not run a recovery move. It wastes the fourth slot, in which either HP Ground or HP Rock should go. If it has neither of those, it's walled by too much stuff

Eranu™

Rain is a viable option(though it is limited to hidden power water and hurricane being the only moves that take advantage of rain while taking more damage from hurricane(sorry it just hits more often) and water moves) and magnet rise is an egg move(pretty sure it is.) and your right it does take neutral damage from ground. As for partner as I mention in a previous post Swampert works but Gastrodon is better(storm drain nulifies all water attacks and gives it a s.atk boost.) Quagsire and Seimitoad are alternative options but both are outclassed by Swampert and Gastrodon. As mention ealier by another person it does need rapid spin support(for a rain team starmie or Blastoise and for other teams Donphan and Claydol.)

Rain volcarona is best off paired with tentacruel and dugtrio/lucario in my opinion. It has to have a rapid spinner along with it + tentacruel can take water attacks easily. Dugtrio and Lucario both resist stone edge but Lucario might be better due to relatively more bulk.

Moves I suggest:

Fire Dance boosts by 50%, not to mention it has 80 BP.
Hurricane is perfectly viable. Volcarona can actually sweep in the Rain and be successful, since it checks many things that Rain teams have problems with.
Solarbeam is terrible, since all your opponent has to do is bring in Tyranitar or Politoed and you're a goner.
Magnet Rise...lol.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
Well I have Volc because I do like his design and he is a viable special sweeper capable of taking out quite a few types. I never said he is the best in the biz.
Gastrodon huh? Sounds interesting-never would have thought to use him....ya have to forgive me I haven't battled online yet so I don't know much. If I can't even pass the battle subway....
Hey doesn't sun kinda ruin Gastrodon's water attacks?

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
Hey doesn't sun kinda ruin Gastrodon's water attacks?

Yes but Gastrodon runs more of a bulky water/support role on this team storm drain attracts all water move other then surf to Gastrodon and give it a water immunity and a +1 s.atk boost this is good for both doubles and singles. Other then that it move pool contains.i You could also run it on a rain team to abuse Volcarno's hurricane and add in hidden power water to get a psuedo stab.

It's support moves include Toxic, subsititute, protect, yawn, and rain dance

It's special move pool includes Ice beam, surf, scald, sludge bomb, sludge wave, and earth power(you need to get it from 4th gen for this move)

Physical sets can have Earthquake, stone edge, rock slide, waterfall, body slam, and curse but these work better with sand strength

Gimicky/specialized moves include clear smog, mist, stockpile, swallow, spit up, mirror coat, and counter (pain split, sleep talk, and endure are 4th gen move tutors)

It adds water and ground stab to hit targets Volcarno can't deal good damage on specificlly water and rock types although ice beam also handles dragon types.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
@Red Charizard: Then I assume that if one runs Volc on a Rain team-Hurricane should replace Morning Sun since the recovery potentional is just whacked.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
@Red Charizard: Then I assume that if one runs Volc on a Rain team-Hurricane should replace Morning Sun since the recovery potentional is just whacked.

Good point since in any weather but neutral and sun drops it to 25% recovery.

Volcarno Rain
hidden Power water
hurricane
bug buzz
quiver dance

The only thing that walls this set completly is Empoleon and maybe water
/rock types. you start with quiver dance after rain has been set up by a team member, then run either stab bugg buzz, rain boosted hidden power water, or 100% accurate Hurricane.

Other wise just run fiery dance were hidden power or hurricane is to get a stab fire attack and use it as a lead or late game sweeper.