• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Voltturn OU

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Hi everyone, this is my second team in the RMT section. I made this team recently, while trying out several battle styles. This team has been amended several times, though I'm still trying out the team and I'm open to suggestions for changes.

volt_turn.png

For the teambuilding process, I started out with two of the main voltturners in OU: Scizor and Rotom-W. They have excellent synergy together and are also on their own excellent pokemon. I included chandelure right after that, and I know it can't learn u-turn or volt switch but it is an excellent switch in to fire attacks, specifically those aimed at scizor. Because it is fairly slow, I slapped a choice scarf on it. Next, I swapped in Gliscor just because it is an excellent wall. At first, it had u-turn but later on I realised it suffered from having a 4-moveslot-syndrome so I switched it out for toxic. For the latter two, they both have u-turn and have good synergy together. I tried out several pokes for the last slot, including forretress, cloyster and celebi, but in the end I chose Mienshao.

The Team:
479-wash.png

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom is what I usually lead with, as it can take on the two most common leads, namely politoed and tyranitar. I usually use will-o-wisp on tyranitar, crippling it right from the beginning. Against politoed, I volt switch out to gain momentum, as politoeds mostly don't stay in against rotom. Against opposing rain teams, this rotom is often the star of the team, with his hydro pump powered up to huge levels. The Ev's and nature are to get as most damage as possible and to be as speedy as possible. I am however considering a bulkier spread.
212.png

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The choice band Scizor is my second part of my main core. U-turn is obvious on a voltturn team, switching out when the opponent sends out a threat to scizor. Bullet punch is the next most obvious move on this set, as it provides necessary priority, because scizor is pretty slow by itself. It also has awesome power with technician and STAB. Superpower is there to hit Heatran on the switch, a common switch in to Scizor. The attack and defense drop is not pleasant, but I'll switch out afterwards anyway. Pursuit gets a technician boost and beats latios, latias, gengar and starmie.
609.png

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chandelure is great, because not many opponents expect it. With a choice scarf, it even outspeeds dugtrio, which is often switched in against it. Chandelure is a good switch in on fire or fighting attacks, both common in OU. Previously, the fire immunity was even better, as I used forretress over mienshao, which gave me 2 double weaknesses to fire. It's still helpfull though. All moves are for coverage, I mostly use shadow ball or fire blast. Against Gastrodon, I use energy ball, but it fails to OHKO, which surprised me the first time. That thing has amazing special bulk. Anyway, hp ice is for the dragons and gliscor. I really hate the fact that I'm completely walled by Heatran though.
472.png

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb SWITCHED OUT FOR DONPHAN, SET IS POSTED LATER THIS PAGE
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Gliscor, the defensive behemoth of OU. At least, it was. You don't really see it as much anymore nowadays. This set has the purpose to stall out unprepared opponents completely. Toxic orb+poison heal gives me recovery, while protect stalls for a turn, to fully regain the damage taken by the substitute. Toxic is there to slowly wear down the opposition, while Earthquake is a strong, reliable STAB move if I want direct damage. Gliscor suffers against rain teams, which can soak him with any water or ice move. The fact that nearly every special poke carries hp ice doesn't help either. Ev's are for maximum defense.
635.png

Hydreigon (M) @ Expert Belt
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Hydreigon is amazing, and I still don't understand why it has dropped to BL (I think?) U-turn is for a quick getaway, while Draco meteor is absolute power. It destroys anything except steel types (damnit heatran again). Specially for Heatran (w/o air balloon), there's earth power though. Fire blast is there for the other steel types, genesect (on the switch only), scizor, ferrothorn and forretress. The expert belt is the crux of the set. Hydreigon plays as if it's holding a choice item, which is further enhanced by using u-turn, but can actually change moves, catching opponents off guard. Naive is for as much speed as it can, where hydreigon is lacking, while giving Genesect a sp. attack boost, so no over-powered u-turns coming my way.
620.png

Mienshao (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my newest member, Mienshao. Regenerator is an awesome ability on a voltturn team, constantly healing. Fake out is mostly free damage, U-turn obvious, and Hi jump kick for immense power. I do have to be careful about incoming gengars and jellicents. hp ice is to get rid of dragons and gliscor, which really fears nothing about this set otherwise. I'll have to see if this works, as I haven't done much battles with this guy.

Overal:
479-wash.png
212.png
609.png
472.png
635.png
620.png

Weaknesses:
Heatran ;485;
It walls a lot, and I have seen a lot of them recently. I carry some moves that can take him on, but I seem to have problems with them anyway.

Weather ;186; ;248; ;450; ;038;
I struggle quite a bit with weather, as I can't set any weather of my own, and they've won the weather war when the battle hasn't even started yet. I can take on tyranitar mostly, though, but I have problems with politoed and ninetales. Hippowdon isn't seen that often.

This is my final team, and I hope you enjoyed reading it. Please rate to try to improve my team.
Ps: sorry for the large pics :p

Last edited:

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
Hi everyone, this is my second team in the RMT section. I made this team recently, while trying out several battle styles. This team has been amended several times, though I'm still trying out the team and I'm open to suggestions for changes.

volt_turn.png

For the teambuilding process, I started out with two of the main voltturners in OU: Scizor and Rotom-W. They have excellent synergy together and are also on their own excellent pokemon. I included chandelure right after that, and I know it can't learn u-turn or volt switch but it is an excellent switch in to fire attacks, specifically those aimed at scizor. Because it is fairly slow, I slapped a choice scarf on it. Next, I swapped in Gliscor just because it is an excellent wall. At first, it had u-turn but later on I realised it suffered from having a 4-moveslot-syndrome so I switched it out for toxic. For the latter two, they both have u-turn and have good synergy together. I tried out several pokes for the last slot, including forretress, cloyster and celebi, but in the end I chose Mienshao.

The Team:
479-wash.png

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom is what I usually lead with, as it can take on the two most common leads, namely politoed and tyranitar. I usually use will-o-wisp on tyranitar, crippling it right from the beginning. Against politoed, I volt switch out to gain momentum, as politoeds mostly don't stay in against rotom. Against opposing rain teams, this rotom is often the star of the team, with his hydro pump powered up to huge levels. The Ev's and nature are to get as most damage as possible and to be as speedy as possible. I am however considering a bulkier spread.
212.png

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The choice band Scizor is my second part of my main core. U-turn is obvious on a voltturn team, switching out when the opponent sends out a threat to scizor. Bullet punch is the next most obvious move on this set, as it provides necessary priority, because scizor is pretty slow by itself. It also has awesome power with technician and STAB. Superpower is there to hit Heatran on the switch, a common switch in to Scizor. The attack and defense drop is not pleasant, but I'll switch out afterwards anyway. Pursuit gets a technician boost and beats latios, latias, gengar and starmie.
609.png

Chandelure (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chandelure is great, because not many opponents expect it. With a choice scarf, it even outspeeds dugtrio, which is often switched in against it. Chandelure is a good switch in on fire or fighting attacks, both common in OU. Previously, the fire immunity was even better, as I used forretress over mienshao, which gave me 2 double weaknesses to fire. It's still helpfull though. All moves are for coverage, I mostly use shadow ball or fire blast. Against Gastrodon, I use energy ball, but it fails to OHKO, which surprised me the first time. That thing has amazing special bulk. Anyway, hp ice is for the dragons and gliscor. I really hate the fact that I'm completely walled by Heatran though.
472.png

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect

Gliscor, the defensive behemoth of OU. At least, it was. You don't really see it as much anymore nowadays. This set has the purpose to stall out unprepared opponents completely. Toxic orb+poison heal gives me recovery, while protect stalls for a turn, to fully regain the damage taken by the substitute. Toxic is there to slowly wear down the opposition, while Earthquake is a strong, reliable STAB move if I want direct damage. Gliscor suffers against rain teams, which can soak him with any water or ice move. The fact that nearly every special poke carries hp ice doesn't help either. Ev's are for maximum defense.
635.png

Hydreigon (M) @ Expert Belt
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Hydreigon is amazing, and I still don't understand why it has dropped to BL (I think?) U-turn is for a quick getaway, while Draco meteor is absolute power. It destroys anything except steel types (damnit heatran again). Specially for Heatran (w/o air balloon), there's earth power though. Fire blast is there for the other steel types, genesect (on the switch only), scizor, ferrothorn and forretress. The expert belt is the crux of the set. Hydreigon plays as if it's holding a choice item, which is further enhanced by using u-turn, but can actually change moves, catching opponents off guard. Naive is for as much speed as it can, where hydreigon is lacking, while giving Genesect a sp. attack boost, so no over-powered u-turns coming my way.
620.png

Mienshao (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my newest member, Mienshao. Regenerator is an awesome ability on a voltturn team, constantly healing. Fake out is mostly free damage, U-turn obvious, and Hi jump kick for immense power. I do have to be careful about incoming gengars and jellicents. hp ice is to get rid of dragons and gliscor, which really fears nothing about this set otherwise. I'll have to see if this works, as I haven't done much battles with this guy.

Overal:
479-wash.png
212.png
609.png
472.png
635.png
620.png

Weaknesses:
Heatran ;485;
It walls a lot, and I have seen a lot of them recently. I carry some moves that can take him on, but I seem to have problems with them anyway.

Weather ;186; ;248; ;450; ;038;
I struggle quite a bit with weather, as I can't set any weather of my own, and they've won the weather war when the battle hasn't even started yet. I can take on tyranitar mostly, though, but I have problems with politoed and ninetales. Hippowdon isn't seen that often.

This is my final team, and I hope you enjoyed reading it. Please rate to try to improve my team.
Ps: sorry for the large pics :p

It is still OU. Nice team man. :)

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
This has inspired me to give Volt-Turn a shot and move away from my weather teams. I've only had one successful non-weather based team xD (mono-Steel)

You do say you can handle Tyranitar, which I see in WoW, but with Rotom-W I'm not sure I see your Politoed problem. Hippowdon, as you mentioned, is almost never used, but for Ninetales you've got Hydreigon and Chandelure. Between the two of them Sun teams seem like they'd be at a bit of a disadvantage, even with Chlorophyll (Sawsbuck can't even touch Chandelure outside of a not-very-effective Horn Leech). I can see a problem in Venusaur that carry HP Ice though, as EQ handles Chandelure (I almost typed Shanderaa there xD) and HP deals with Hydreigon.

Besides Venusaur, I'm not really sure I see the Sun problem.

Atrocious

Well, for starters, Stealth Rocks is greatl appreciated on VoltTurn teams as try will be forcing quite a few switches, but it works the other way around aswell. VoltTurn teams appreciate entry hazards being off their side of the field as you'll be switching ALOT. So here you lack a rocks layer and a spinner. Gliscor slows down offensive momentum with a stall set. I'd try something like Forretress or Donphan that can lay down rocks while being able to spin them away as well. I'm not too sure for Chandelure as a revenge killer here as people will almost always expect a Choiced set when they see one and makes prediction very easy. I'm not to familiar with VoltTurn teams and I'm guessing you want something to revenge kill weakened pokes but Scizor does that role fine so perhaps swap Chandelure for say Tornadus so you have dual Regenerator + U-Turn Pokemon in Mienshao and Tornadus, but just a suggestion.

Forry learns Volt Switch also if it helps.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
abomasnow is about ready to cry now. you didn't list him under weather. why go hating on boma?
\
on scizor give him 248hp/252at/8spe instead. and replace pursuit (never sees much use in my experience) for quick attack. ( :D it's great kills volcy in two hits i beleive.)

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
^sorry i forgot abomasnow :) I did have some problems trying to revenge kill volcarona, so I`ll consider the quick attack over pursuit. @loco, I did not necessarily mean problems with the weather inducers themselves, but more the pokemon who take advantage of it, like thundurus-t in rain or landorus in sand. Sorry, I should have phrased it better. @atrocious, as I said, I used forretress before with sr, rapid spin and volt switch. I however found myself easily set up on. Maybe I should`ve used a red card. The donphan is interesting though. I can see him being in the team for gliscor. Purely defensive, it might be worse, but the hazards and rapid spin are a big advantage. I`ll think about it.
Thanks for all your rates!

Last edited:

loco1234

BEEDOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
I agree with using a Spinner too. Forretress can set both Rocks and Spikes, it gets Rapid Spin and it can learn Volt Switch (and I'm pretty sure U-Turn too, I've always used Volt Switch though).

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
I indeed got some problems because of having no sr setter and spinner. I changed gliscor for donphan, so I have a spinner and a stealth rock setter. The other moves are earthquake and ice shard. I will post the complete set later. Thanks for all of your help!
232.gif

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard

This poke does really help while setting up sr and keeping it away from my team. It's defense is more than decent too. It isn't the best of all defensive pokemon in OU but it gets the job done. It has maximum physical bulk, which allows it to take a lot of physical attacks. Sturdy means it survives at least one attack, but is broken by hazards, so it doesn't see too much use. Leftovers and earthquake obvious, yadayadayada. Ice shard is an awesome attack that donphan's got access to, and it kills of weakened dragons easily. Sometimes I lead with donphan, as it can lay down at least sr because of sturdy. I do this especially against pokes like ninetales and tyranitar, which fear my super-effective earthquake.
Overall, hazards are very important on the team, which I did not realize at first, but Donphan has proven to be a very effective team player.

EDIT: edited the donphan set in

Last edited: