• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Volume 58 discussion

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
A new month, a new volume is released.

There are seven chapters in total, ending at the mini-volume's chapter 18.

This means that all seven Pokemon Fan chapter's have finally been collected in volume format.

Please discuss any volume-only changes here.

G-SANtos

Ninja'd for the thread. Me and my habit of typing too much.

Here are the titles:
-Manectric, Change
-Gardevoir, Communicate
-Diancie, Shine
-Vivillon, Dance
-Fletchinder, Burn
-Frogadier, Shoot
-Klefki, Gather

If I'm not mistaken, that's what Lolipiece predicted, isn't it? Baidu thread with the chapter covers from the magazines and the next volume preview.

Now every Pokémon Fan chapter has been collected into a volume. Anything not from CoroCoro from now on is new content. I'm going to make a guess that every volume will have at least one new chapter so they can keep advertising "look, new content!" on Twitter for every volume.
As is tradition by now, the ending will have additions, but I'm not sure if we'll have an entire volume of new content. We might not get that until, say, ORAS, as I hear people saying the ending feels rushed.

It's a bit hard to make theories on what might get added because I haven't finished reading XY. I haven't even finished B2W2. My college is trying to compensate their schedule being late by rushing the semesters. I'm probably not going to have normal vacations until next year.

But stuff that I expect being added to either XY or ORAS: Battle Chatelaines and Volcanion. I would like to say Kiloude City could appear, but I think B2W2 opens a precedent for not every city showing up. Hopefully when we get Unova remakes. One of those arcs might have more Megas added too, to keep the habit of showcasing every Pokémon and form.
Also, I've read SM, and I'm sure there'll be at least one volume made entirely of new chapters. The arc's entire pacing is off and there's a gazillion of Z-Moves left to showcase.

I don't know if I brought up before, but Kusaka has put up a prototype volume 59 cover, but said he's already changing, if I understood correctly.

Now, what I really want to know: Volume changes. Particularly, the scene where Pachira (Malva) steps on the third Pokédex and destroys it. Was this scene changed for the volumes, or is the Pokédex still destroyed? Does anyone here already have the digital version to check?

One thing I want to bring up. The Japanese Pokémon Day website has many "History" pages talking about trivia and other stuff from the entire franchise. And among those is a page about Salamè. As noted by Kibou, owner of pkspedia.com, PokéSpe is the only manga covered in those History pages.
This might be nothing, but here is some things I want to bring up.
-According to Joe, a Pokémon Presents can cover anything, unlike a Pokémon Direct, which can only cover games for Nintendo consoles. Some people believe they'll even announce the next movie tomorrow.
-Tomorrow's Presents is the longest yet.
-Eclipse, a reliable insider, believes it's possible the Presents can cover the TCG, because the "First Partner Pack" is released February 26, but the way he worded it in his post implies he doesn't know for sure.

With these points above, specially the last one, I think PokéSpe might be mentioned in the Presents. Volume 58's release date is also February 26, and the Pokémon Day website specifically mentions a character from the XY arc.
And I think it's worth mentioting the Pokémon Day website also has some History pages about the Card Game.
It might sound crazy, but if Eclipse thinks they could advertise the TCG solely because of a release date, I don't see why they can't mention PokéSpe, the most popular Pokémon manga, as well. Like, PokéSpe even has a Twitter account, not even Anakubo's manga has one and it's the only other manga to exist since Gen 1.

One thing that could go against that though, is the fact the manga doesn't have worldwide simultaneous releases.

e9310103838

Now, what I really want to know: Volume changes. Particularly, the scene where Pachira (Malva) steps on the third Pokédex and destroys it. Was this scene changed for the volumes, or is the Pokédex still destroyed? Does anyone here already have the digital version to check?

It seems that this scene has not been changed.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I saw the part where she took back Pyroar went unchanged. But she had it in the Diancie chapter in the magazines, so was it altered or do we have a minor plot hole on our hands?

e9310103838

I saw the part where she took back Pyroar went unchanged. But she had it in the Diancie chapter in the magazines, so was it altered or do we have a minor plot hole on our hands?

Malva still holds a Pyroar in Diancie chapter. I guess she may have many Pyroar? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lucky3

One thing I'm curious about is if they threw in the Pokeball pattern Vivillion alongside all the others. And also if they corrected Salame's gender.

Last edited:

G-SANtos

Hey guys, I just found a Yamamoto tweet I had forgot to post about before.
There's hidden X and Y patterns in the cover. I wonder if this is going to be a thing for future covers, or if this one is just because one of the pages here already had a XY pattern. If it's the later, than maybe only the final cover will do it.

On the other hand, the prototype cover for volume 59, which is just the cover for XY chapter 19, seems to have an X and Y composition. But I'm not sure it fits perfectly, Yako-chan (Fletchy) is very outside both the the X and Y, although I guess you could argue it is its own Y by itself.

More previews for volume 59.
As we can see, he is basing it on the chapter cover. I misunderstood that first tweet: He didn't say he was scrapping that prototype, he said he was recreating that image for the cover. I think I misunderstood it because I didn't realize at the time it was old art. Anyway, I wonder if we'll see the same thing happen in other covers.

By the way, Coronis and e9310103838 predicted the back cover Gym Leaders in 2016.
Or maybe they let that volume 1 have Viola and Korrina, volume 2 have Grant and Clemont, volume 3 have Ramos and Valerie, and volume 4 have Olympia and Wulfric.
This combo works too in a way, but I'd put Valerie with Olympia, and Ramos with Wulfric.
So Fukuji (Ramos) and Urup (Wulfric) will be in volume 59's back cover. And we still have at least two more volumes after that. One of them is probably going to have the entire Elite 4, but I don't know who else could be put.

On another subject, Kibou has posted on PKSPedia an analysis of every Vivillon on the volume. This might be old news if there's no change from the XY volumes, but here is the info.
There's 16 Vivillon patterns here, and these are the numbers:
1- Icy Snow
2- Polar
3- Tundra
4- Continental
5- Garden
6- Elegant
7- Meadow
8- Modern
9- Marine
10- Archipelago
11- High Plains
12- Sandstorm
13- River
14- Monsoon
15- Savanna
16- Sun

Including Misora (Yvette) there's 15 Sky Trainers and they use 15 Vivillon in the battle, which are all of the above except Meadow. All of those are also the Vivillon in the cover. The ones in the cover are aligned clockwise in the same order as the XY official website (which I think is also the order they're programmed in), except for the absence of a Meadow between the Elegant and Modern ones.
On page 111, the last of chapter 570, there's 17 Vivillon, including Meadow and an unidentified one. Kibou believes they might be wild Vivillon that gathered out of interest in the Sky Trainers' Vivillon. I think the reason Meadow was not included in the actual battle was because Viola already has one.

As is mentioned in the story, Misora has 18 Vivillon including the Poké Ball and Fancy ones. Assuming she has a Meadow, the missing ones are Ocean and Jungle. But, as mentioned by Kibou, in XY volume 6 she says Poké Ball and Fancy are the only patterns left. This is most likely a typo, and hopefully Kusaka corrects it in the final volume.
In hindsight, it's weird that Kusaka specifically left these two Vivillon patterns out of chapters specifically designed to show off Vivillon forms. Maybe he had plans for characters owning those patterns?

The page also has a screenshot of the official website's December 2014 creators' column. Turns out the Sky Trainers and Vivillon on page 111 were drawn by Ryū Matsushima, author of the XY card game manga (and SM and SwSh), in what is called the first mangaka collab in PokéSpe.
That might be why Yamamoto and Matsushima retweet each other's "this month's chapter is here" tweets every month, though I only noticed Yamamoto doing it recently and I don't read Matsushima's tweets. Looking at Matsushima's Twitter now, it seems the only other Pokémon manga he retweets is Takahiro Yamashita's Pokémon 4koma Academy, and it's probably because Matsushima himself wrote Pokémon 4koma in the past. I see nothing about Anakubo's manga, but I don't know if Anakubo has a Twitter.

I have been thinking for some time, Kusaka should hire a second artist to help Yamamoto. Currently, the two biggest obstacles for PokéSpe, besides the games' annual schedule, are lack of magazines and Yamamoto's current pace. With how B2W2 had to resort to splitting chapters, it seems Yamamoto is currently unable to do more than one chapter per month, be it because of age, or something in his life that fills his schedule. With monthly work on SwSh and volume edits every 3 months (that are going to occupy at least the rest of Gen 8, and maybe some of 9), who knows how BDSP and L:A will fare.

Matsushima could be a candidate. If his Japanese Wikipedia page is complete, he has never worked on any non-Pokémon manga, just like Kusaka. And since he only works on one manga, his workload might not be so heavy. The only problem is his art style is too different. Would there be problems with art style consistency if this happened?
And yeah, I know mangaka have assistants, but my understanding is that they do minor or specific stuff, like drawing vehicles or backgrounds. Depending on how much Yamamoto is busy, we might need someone to straight up draw remake arcs from now on.

And now that I think about it, there's a theory Manabu (Marvin) is from Kalos. I don't remember if I read it here or on Tumblr, but when Manabu talked about his home region in SwSh chapter 2, there's a house shown in the panel that someone thought resembled a Kalos house. And someone on 5ch mentioned he knows what's a Pangoro.
And the protagonist of Matsushima's XY card game game manga... Is named Manabu Kadoo. Manabu from the SwSh arc might be partially a Matsushima reference. Out of every NPC in SwSh, Kusaka might have chosen Manabu simply because he had the same name as a Matsushima character.

If he's from Kalos, I wonder if he might be added in the final XY chapter. If he's from Kalos AND knows what a Pokédex is, maybe he's from Vaniville and is among Team Flare's hostages.

Damn, what a waste of a Chekhov's gun, just when we could have had PokéSpe doing the Sixth Ranger trope. So Matiere is definitely not becoming a Dex Holder, unless Team Flare achieves the unprecedented feat of repairing a destroyed Pokédex. Well, they do have the Rotom Dex's creator captive. And the small gap between arcs implies it already exists, meaning Citron (Clemont) already knows the inner workings of a Pokédex. Hm...
No, maybe I shouldn't think too much about it. The other 3 kids are much more likely to get Pokédexes.

And this reminds me, did you guys notice the chapter index page? It has a picture of Tierno... And a Pokédex!
Since RS, index pages tend to use Pokémon sillhouettes, starting by the Starters, and then eventually other relevant Pokémon, such as Legendaries or a major character's team. Until B2W2 where it instead it became a notice board.

Then in volume 55, the index page was a picture of the Unova Pokédex and another of the Kalos one. And after that, a character and a Pokédex. X, Y, and now Tierno. I think that could be evidence the rest of the group will eventually get Pokédexes. It's not like they're reusing the XY volume images. In the XY volumes, the chapter index was always a picture of Y, probably because every page 1 was a picture of the Pokédex showing one of X's Pokémon. And SM did a similar thing by having every page 1 being a picture of Sun and the index page being Moon's Rotom Dex.

So the fact the index page now depicts a Pokédex and a character, and so far only characters in the main travel group, seems to be foreshadowing they're all going to be Dex Holders by the end. But the weird part is, we still have two characters, but enough chapters for three and a half volumes! Sure, there's only 3 chapters from volume 3 left, and the lower page count of the other 3 volumes means the remaining 21 chapters can fit into three volumes. But they always add new content in the ending, and even if I'm wrong about every volume having an original chapter from now on, we are guaranteed to have more stuff at the end because of the Battle Chatelaines. Kiloude City is right next to the Pokémon Village, it's not a stretch to think they could arrive there and help with the fight (and the fight the female Flare scientists).

So this arc is guaranteed to go at least until volume 62. Volumes 59 and 60 will have pictures of Sana and Trova in the chapter index, but what about 61? X again? A picture of everyone? Or is it really possible for Matiere to be a 6th Dex Holder? If 62 is part ORAS, the index page will probably be a picture of the Kalos and Hoenn Pokédexes, so no worry about that.
Unless somehow 62 is entirely XY content, in which case I don't know what they could do for the index page. Maybe Esprit (Essentia) in 61 and Matiere in 62? Because even she becomes the sixth, there's no freaking way we're getting a seventh Dex Holder here.

I also wonder what they'll do for volume 62's page 1. Volume 61's will be a picture of Marisso inside the Pokédex, and after that we run out of X's Pokémon. Maybe they could break pattern like in BW's last volume if volume 62 is the last one. They could also put an image of Kerokero (Croaky) instead, so we have X's Mega Pokémon and the Starters, but unless XY is somehow stretched until 63, it would feel like Delphox is being left out.

One thing I'm curious about is if they threw in the Pokeball pattern Vivillion alongside all the others.
Per the Vivillon analysis above, they didn't, or I'm sure Kibou would've mentioned it.

And also if they corrected Salame's gender.
I don't have the volume yet (I still haven't finished reading B2W2 because of my schedule), but I don't think they would do it here. Ever since FRLG started doing character profiles for Dex Holders' Pokémon, each Pokémon has only got a profile once per arc. A correction is only going to happen in a reprint of volume 57. Unless they put team stats in the final volume, but I don't remember if PokéSpe still does this.