• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Volume 59 Discussion

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
E2M3h7XVoAAcZbi.jpg

It's new volume time! At least soon-ish.

You know the drill: post any relevant volume-only content here.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Still mad with how Chespin looks like here. I dunno, there's something "fanart collage" feeling on it for some reason.

lolipiece

Staff member
It's shielding the tree just like the others.

Still mad with how Chespin looks like here. I dunno, there's something "fanart collage" feeling on it for some reason.
It's probably because the lack of shading on the characters and standing trees, in opposite to the remaining terrain, makes it look like they just photoshopped the characters into a picture. Chespin especially looks like he's floating mid-air.

e9310103838

So volume 59 contains seven rounds. It looks like we will end XY in volume 62 (if we will get any new content, otherwise it will end in volume 61) and move on to ORAS.

And Green will appear in the next volume, if they don’t change plot (let him appear in advance) in this volume. We seem to get volume 61 this year at most, then next year will be the entire ORAS.

And I expect we can get something like limited edition, color poster, or voting activity in volume 60. :cool:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It's shielding the tree just like the others.
I get what the pose means. My issue was with how it was drawn. Something I can't properly pinpoint looks super off here.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
So volume 59 contains seven rounds. It looks like we will end XY in volume 62 (if we will get any new content, otherwise it will end in volume 61) and move on to ORAS.

And Green will appear in the next volume, if they don’t change plot (let him appear in advance) in this volume. We seem to get volume 61 this year at most, then next year will be the entire ORAS.

And I expect we can get something like limited edition, color poster, or voting activity in volume 60. :cool:

Right, if they follow last year's schedule then Volume 61 should release in November.
Hopefully they expand the story a little bit towards the end. After all they have to explain some stuff that was left inconclusive in the original magazine run.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Right, if they follow last year's schedule then Volume 61 should release in November.
Hopefully they expand the story a little bit towards the end. After all they have to explain some stuff that was left inconclusive in the original magazine run.
Honestly XY had a pretty nice ending all things considered. ORAS and SM however desperately need volume additions to smooth the story and all. Esp SM

G-SANtos

The chapters, from Amazon's preview:
-Trevenant, Bind
-Gengar, Change
-Braixen, Surround
-Quilladin, Stand
-Gyarados, Change
-Pyroar, Breathe
-Flabébé, Bloom
Wait, what? There's not a single new chapter here!
I guess that makes sense with the official Twitter account picking a panel from an already existing chapter to advertise the volume. But, are they just not making new chapters for the arc? Because commercially speaking that's a dumb decision. If there's no new chapters, people get the impression it's just the same thing as the mini-volumes they already bought. Yes, there's the Fan chapters, but we're done with those, and if this volume is any indication, everything from now on is the same as the XY volumes except maybe for the usual finale expansion.

And that makes me ask, if Kusaka and Yamamoto are not making new chapters, then why are the volumes releasing on a 3-month schedule? Back in the day after completing Emerald they released the DP volumes monthly until catching up. Why not do the same here? Are they making new ORAS chapters instead? An USUM arc? Or was that just an economic decision based on the pandemic?

Or maybe I'm overreacting, and this is an one-time thing. I didn't finish reading XY yet, because of my busy study schedule, so most of what I know is from summaries, but reading about these chapters, it's likely a new chapter didn't fit this volume with all the events here being in quick succession, and we might get something new in the next ones. I'm at least betting on the time Tierno and Sana had X and Y's Mega Rings to become its own chapter. It would be a wasted opportunity to not have them catch Mega-capable Pokémon and use them once. There's still many Megas left to showcase, and a narrow window of opportunity to show them.

Anyway, we still have 14 chapters left, which means exactly two volumes. However, we know they'll add stuff to the ending because they always do. Also, Kiloude is close to the Pokémon Village in the map, so it would be weird for Kusaka to not add the Battle Chateilanes to the final battle.
Going by that, XY is going to end at most on volume 62. This means ORAS will start on February, unless they make 61 and 62 another double release, putting it in November.

As I mentioned in volume 58's thread, I think the chapter index pages are showing which characters are or will become Pokédex holders, because they are essentially one character and one Pokédex. I was expecting volumes 59 and 60 to show Sana (Shauna) and Trova (Trevor), but guess what, volume 59 has both of them. I was expecting one character per index, so this was a surprise.
But then, what are they going to do for 60 and 61? Are they going to show X and Y again? Or could we have more Pokédex holders than just the 5 friends?

If the latter, I'm going to guess Matiere (Emma) could still become a Pokédex holder if Xerosicy decides to fix the one that made it to Team Flare's HQ, even though fixing a destroyed Pokédex is an unprecedented feat in PokéSpe. Not only is she a prominent character, she's about the same age as X's group, is basically the protagonist's 5th friend in the games, and we have a chapter cover with the 6 kids. In fact, that should be the first chapter in volume 60.

Who gets the last spot? The only other character that has a major role, is the same or similar age to X's group, and also happens to have chapters focusing on her, is Corni (Korrina). While that sounds like a solid argument for her, I'm not sure about it. She has a major role, but Gym Leaders always have active roles in PokéSpe, with there always being one or two that more important. Due to her connection to Mega Evolution, it's a no-brainer Corni is the most prominent one.

So who else could it be? I'm going to guess the last spot goes for not one, but two characters: Dexio and Sina. I know that sounds weird, they barely appear in the XY arc. But, back in the day, Kusaka was going to make Mitsuru (Wally) a main character, and he also barely appeared before the Rayquaza plot.
In the games, Dexio mentions he once traveled with a Pokédex. While that is something so minor that could easily be ignored, Shirona (Cynthia) does the same thing and PokéSpe implies (twice!) she once had a Pokédex, despite it being the same arc where they had to literally have a main character be nameless for a long time just to preserve game name absolutism. And if Kusaka, in this same arc, followed game lore to the point of implying Achroma (Colress) once went to Geosenge like in the games, I don't think keeping Dexio's Pokédex mention is impossible. And if they do that, I think Sina would be included too just for the fact they are a duo.
Not only that, but by the end of XY, everyone except X and Y in living in Lumiose: Sana, Tierno, and Trova move there to follow their dreams, and Matiere, Dexio, and Sina, for all we know, might have always lived there. Corni, however, doesn't.

What do you think?
By the way, that line about Achroma in Geosenge could get a new meaning if Lack-two disguise theory is correct, but I don't know how they could tie that into the Alola mission.

Yamamoto's new Twitter banner is the cover's background.

A few days ago, The Violent Tomboy mentioned on Tumblr that we never saw Trova picking a new flower for Flabébé after the original got destroyed, and speculated we could see it in the volumes. To anyone who already has the book, did they add such a scene?

About Flabébé's flower color, Kibou has kept track of every source for a color. XY volume 6 says "yellow" at the end while showing red in the back cover. PokéSPedia says "red flower" on page 81 but "yellow" on page 160.
Volume 57 shows a red flower, and this is the first we see blue. I guess the original intention was that the first flower is red and the second one is yellow, but Kusaka probably decided to change it to blue so the two flowers would have Xerneas and Yveltal's colors.
Which reminds me, Mitsuru had a full green team to represent Emerald, and one of his Pokémon was a Roselia, which has red and blue flowers, the theme colors of Ruby and Sapphire. I think Kusaka mentioned Roselia's flowers somewhere, but I don't remember for sure.
Could Trova's Flabébé's colors have a similar meaning? Were the colors chosen simply because it's the XY arc, or are they simbolizing Trova will be one of the Dex Holders of the XY arc?

Yamamoto showed one of the volume edits on Twitter.

And by the way, here is stuff from the volume's end. The usual next volume preview, and the return of the Adventure Map!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the XY volumes didn't the Adventure Map, did they? I don't remember if I checked that in my volumes, I only remember that when they posted the Adventure Map from SwSh volume 2 on Baidu, I immediately thought "Oh, this thing is back".
When was the last time we had an Adventure Map? I don't remember if BW had them.

And the "next volume preview" is using that chapter 26 cover I mentioned that has the 6 kids and Xerneas. Is the volume 60 cover going to be based on it? If so, I have no idea how that would work in the new style.

I get what the pose means. My issue was with how it was drawn. Something I can't properly pinpoint looks super off here.
When he was drawing the cover, he mentioned on Twitter that he was having difficulty drawing X fully facing the viewer, and using the same art style he used when the XY arc was running.

The only one I know for sure is that we never saw who became Delphox's Trainer. What else is there?

Only thing that comes to my mind is that Neco-P (Kitty) doesn't evolve while Tierno's Corphish and Trova's Flabébé do, but not every character's Pokémon reaches its final form in their debut arc. RURU only did in ORAS, Togetarō only evolved in HGSS, Crystal's Naipyon wasn't a Xatu until Emerald, Mupyon never evolved and I hope she only does when Jynx gets an evolution (or a regional form that evolves from normal Smoochum) because I'm pretty sure any evolution for Jynx will have a better design.
I'm pretty sure Diamond's Bē will never evolve so it can keep being used for gags (Snorlax is too big for how they write Bē), and I don't think Dollar will evolve in SM, despite they making a big deal of its evolution method, because Kuchinashi (Nanu) already has an Alolan Persian, and Kusaka usually doesn't let any character have the same Pokémon as any of the local Dex Holders, even if it means stripping a game character of their ace.

By the way, I think Delphox's Trainer will be Sana. Not just because of the games, but it seems Tri-P (Furry) bonded with Delphox, from what is said in the Epilogue. Based on that, it makes the most sense that Sana will take it, and name it either Xy-P or Maho-P. Or maybe Ho-P? Ho-P (フォP) uses two kana like Tri-P (トリP) and Neco-P (ネコP), while Maho-P (マフォP) uses three.
And since Delphox and Furfrou are in the same egg group, I think Delphox might lay an egg, and Sana will give the new Fennekin to Matiere, just like she trades a hatched Starter to the player in the games.

Honestly XY had a pretty nice ending all things considered. ORAS and SM however desperately need volume additions to smooth the story and all. Esp SM
And to show more Megas and Z-Moves. They barely showed Z-Moves at all (seriously, this is the least used gimmick), and Mitsuru needs to Mega Evolve something (probably Altaria, since Lutia (Lisia) doesn't have a Key Stone, but I wonder if they could reveal he has a Tyranitar, since it's green).

lolipiece

Staff member
Yes, but XY has exactly 14 chapters left. That's two volumes exactly.

They're gonna have to do something otherwise the first two volumes ORAS will be exactly the same as the mini-volume versions.

Wait, what? There's not a single new chapter here!
I guess that makes sense with the official Twitter account picking a panel from an already existing chapter to advertise the volume. But, are they just not making new chapters for the arc? Because commercially speaking that's a dumb decision. If there's no new chapters, people get the impression it's just the same thing as the mini-volumes they already bought. Yes, there's the Fan chapters, but we're done with those, and if this volume is any indication, everything from now on is the same as the XY volumes except maybe for the usual finale expansion.

We're also dealing with books that should've been released over five years ago. Gen VI ended in 2016. We should've been done with this Gen by 2018.

As much as I'd like new chapters, we don't have time to waste when we're so behind.

In the games, Dexio mentions he once traveled with a Pokédex. While that is something so minor that could easily be ignored, Shirona (Cynthia) does the same thing and PokéSpe implies (twice!) she once had a Pokédex, despite it being the same arc where they had to literally have a main character be nameless for a long time just to preserve game name absolutism.

I've always found Cynthia's mention of having a Pokedex in the past weird, but with Legends, I think it's safe to assume that "Pokedex" doesn't necessarily imply an electronic device. Probably. I don't think we know what the Legends Dex actually looks like yet.

And if Kusaka, in this same arc, followed game lore to the point of implying Achroma (Colress) once went to Geosenge like in the games, I don't think keeping Dexio's Pokédex mention is impossible.

They never specified when Colress went there in the games. And the B2W2 finale implies it takes place simul with XY, so it's likely Colress went there pre-B2W2.

Not only that, but by the end of XY, everyone except X and Y in living in Lumiose: Sana, Tierno, and Trova move there to follow their dreams, and Matiere, Dexio, and Sina, for all we know, might have always lived there. Corni, however, doesn't.

Only Trevor was stated to have moved. Tierno and Shauna were only stated to dance/work there.[/quote][/quote]

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
The only one I know for sure is that we never saw who became Delphox's Trainer. What else is there?

How Mewtwo arrived to the Pokémon Village (Perhaps a small reference to Sird... although i'm pretty sure Kusaka forgot about her already).
And maybe expand on Greninja having Battle Bond as it's ability.
Maybe show X's Mega Successor ceremony, too.

Thinking about the remaining 14 chapters, the only place where they could add extra material is the final battle and/or epilogue.
But yeah ORAS and SM-USUM need it far more (specially the latter).

lolipiece

Staff member
E2e3vh0UcAUwcEx.jpg

Back cover. Look, Gengar wasn't forgotten.

diakyu

Whew I think this cover looks freaking flames