• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VS Cynthia! Iris' Road to Dragon Master (1206)

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Ash: this is personal now, this is my vendetta
mMrnZoi.jpeg

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
better than any M8 Battle except diantha vs lance

Still salty Infernape won't ever do a relevant thing on his own in this series, like let him live up to his own desire to be stronger by beating Cynthia but alas writers have no creativity these days

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Permanent thread bans handed out. Carry on with your discussions if you're still able to post in this thread.

DayQuil95

this episode left a good impression on me.

+ The animation looked decent this time around, seemed more fluid, and like it had more effort put into it than the ones in previous episodes, which made for a more enjoyable battle overall in a vacuum. Moments like Mega Garchomp vs Haxorus had pretty good animation, and even smaller moments like Milotic vs Dragonite also looked great. The battle definitely looked much more battle than Lance vs Diantha and Alain vs Leon, but visuals aren't everything in a battle, mainly when the writers don't employ everything that could be beneficial in combination with them.

- The battle once again felt lifeless and static, the field was the same generic plain field without anything that would allow for a remotely exciting strategy. In the earlier series, the fields were way more interesting and would grant the trainers more diversity when battling, such as Ash vs Katie, where Grovyle managed to beat Walrein by outsmarting it into freezing the water, or Ash vs Alain, which allowed Pikachu to take out Sandstorm by splashing water on the field with an Iron Tail to the water body nearby. And once again, each side kept waiting for each other in static positions rather than doing anything that would allow for a more fluid battle overall.

+ Iris's characterization and moments were great, she definitely developed over what she was in BW, but also still showed just how heavy losing in a tournament of that size can be for someone that is holding the weight of an entire region, I don't blame her for crying there, it was entirely natural for someone that age. It was also cool seeing Ash with that look after seeing Iris's defeat, he knew that she was sad, and evidently cared for her, but I still feel like it would have been better if he hugged her or showed any more signs of care, even if smiling and speaking to her was already good enough.

- Strategy who? It was pretty lame seeing neither Cynthia nor Iris employs any deeper strategy after seeing how much strategy and skill Diantha used against Lance, felt like a straight-up downgrade from the previous episode, as both sides were brute-forcing through their opponents rather than doing the back and forth that even the Alola league and earlier series managed to do properly when it comes to 3v3s. This is the Masters 8 Tournament, the tournament that is hyped as being the greatest tournament in history by the anime itself, and that has had a buildup for an entire series, with the strongest characters in the entire world throwing down in there, so what's up with the mediocre animation, battling strategies, and middling moments like Ash only being allowed to speak with Goh and Hop, rather than properly talk with the fellow participants.

+ Cynthia was stronger than Iris, but Iris could still hold her own against Cynthia, and I really liked seeing that. The way Excadrill managed to beat Gastrodon, and then lose to Milotic because it had been weakened so badly, or the way Haxorus manages to take down Milotic and then fight base Garchomp equally until Cynthia mega evolved her, all these moments were great, with the exception of one Pokemon that has been consistently been having a horrible treatment, all the way from BW to JN.

- Iris's Dragonite was horrible, did the writers seriously think that would have been a good way to finish it off? Those are 3v3 battles, a single episode is more than enough to have a good one with proper strategies, pacing, and outsiders' comments that still make the fluidity of everything work in the grander schemes of things. I seriously think that they just wanted to narrow down the battle into Haxorus vs Mega Garchomp as soon as possible, and thanks to that the likes of Haxorus, Gastrodon, and Dragonite ended up suffering horribly from that when the 3v3s in leagues like Sinnoh or Johto had legitimate pacing with the execution of the Pokemon shown battling, rather than doing something like that for the sake of cutting down to the aces every time, and even Lance vs Diantha did this properly.

Overall, I'd give this a 7/10, not as good as previous episode, but this is mostly due to how this was the most hyped battle in the first round of Masters 8, and ended up not being as good as a battle that had practically no hype in comparison, that being Lance vs Diantha.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I've been re-watching the episode a few times and it seems to me that Cynthia is extremely careful of Haxorus' Dragon Pulse. Specially how Haxorus endured Garchomp's Draco Meteor which is most likely her strongest move.
Cynthia probably thought that Garchomp wouldn't have been able to withstand Haxorus' Dragon Pulse had it successfully landed on her hence why she ME'd it.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I've completely written off any future Dragonite losses concerning this show. The storywriters just don't know how to make a good loss for it. Milotic hit it with 2 attacks and it went down like it was a freshly caught dratini. It kinda took away from the entire rest of the episode. It was clearly the jobber of this fight and the entire sequence is a mark against the episode. Which is a shame because the episode itself was actually pretty good.

I do like how Excadrill fought inspite of the huge Disadvantage it had. Rain dance muddy watter spam. Acid armor to completely stuff out most of Excadrill's Moves. If it didn't pull off a surprise horn drill, it would've been easily stuffed. It was a good fight of Excadrill being on the back foot pretty much the entire fight and Iris holding out on the big move until it was needed most. Honestly, though, she should've just straight out swapped excadrill as soon as milotic came out. There really was no need for it to stay in. If Dragonite weren't the jobber, it probably would've done more than Excadrill and Iris would've had 2 pokemon for Mega Garchomp.

Speaking of, the undeniable best moment in the episode. Mega Garchomp vs Haxorus. Haxorus definitely held its own well to the point where I do genuinely believe it's a champion's Haxorous. The Outrage into Draco Meteor moment brought up some distinct memories of this now working well last time this scenario played but I guess they learn from their mistakes. The clash between Dragon Claw and Psycho Cut was actually pretty cool to see. However, I gotta mark a point against Iris for calling out a Dragon pulse vs Draco Meteor. Why not just call out outrage again? It worked well enough last time they tried it against the Draco Meteor. It might've mega evolved this time but based on game logic, it shouldn't be as much of a problem to try to make it through that. Heck what was the plan if Dragon Pulse had beaten the Draco Meteor? The game state wouldn't have changed sense they both called out long range attacks and Garchomp wasn't even hit by the Dragon pulse. It was literally just a defensive measure. Then they do that Staring pose after the attacks thing the anime likes doing as if this weren't clearly a haxorus loss. All that said, this was still the best part of the episode. I thorougly enjoyed that they made Haxorus an actual threat vs even Mega Garchomp. For those of you that don't like the insinuation that regular Garchomp would've gotten stuffed, remember that Mega garchomp is more powerful but also slower, so there's no saying how the battle would've gone if it were just regular Garchomp. I like to think Cynthia only Mega Evolved to meet Haxorus' raw power as a strategic move and maybe a hype one. The Physical Clashes was definitely the most hype part of the episode.

7 / 10 I've been handing these 7s out like candy but this one would've been higher if some parts of the episode didn't actively bring it down. It was a good episode brought down by some frustrating moments.

Last edited:

TheNewGuy

Kudos to Iris - the brat managed to defeat 2 Pokémon of a far superior champion.

Though obviously she wasn’t more than a fun toy for Cynthia - she put on her lipstick and proceeded to destroy Iris, who could only cry helplessly <3

I'm gonna preface this: I am in no way a "stan" for any given character and don't like that weird sports team mentality people have for various characters or sagas.

Now that's out of the way, let's be clear: that is a deeply pathetic post.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Loved how they reference Iris and Cynthia’s battle in be
Wonderful episode
TR!!!!! Amazing as always