• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VS Cynthia! Iris' Road to Dragon Master (1206)

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
So finally watched the ep after getting covid and ended up just sleeping for most of the day.

I think the episode was pretty meh. The animation was still pretty bad for the most part, and i’m in the boat if people who thinks the previous ep was better. Honestly i felt like the ep lack both exciting battles and character exploration. From the tittle i had assumed the episode would actually go into on the why iris even became champion and how it relates into her dragon master goal. But no, iris is still champion just because games said so. That was honestly all i would’ve needed to call this a good episode and also bump on my opinion on iris’s first return.

So without that it’s up to the actual battle and it was obviously just a glorified haxorus v garchomp. Visually excadrill v gastrodon was actually my favorite, the rain and torrents of nuddy water actually made it feel intense. Like facing down a great storm. But damn was the way they end it amongst the biggest pile **** i’ve seen lately. Excadrill was on the backfoot the entire time, never did noticeable damage, took two rain boosted muddy water, and then just pulled out the cheapest win with an OHKO move. Iris literally went ‘F it, i’m gonna bet on RNG!’. I’ve been ragging on how the writers have been relying on givinv ash miracle plot armor comebacks, so of course i would also call out this one. It honestly felt like iris has nothing if she didn’t have luck.

Jobbernite was a hilarious joke, and milotic was easily taken out because they needed to get to the ace v ace already since it’s all that mattered. The ‘animation’ of milotic getting hit with wide break was hilarious as well though.

For what’s it worth i think they did a decent job of making haxorus v garchomp feel like a battle of savage beasts, well until their clash turned into slideshows at least. The animation was meh, and i think some of the better ones were just taken from iris’s first return? Cynthia felt like she was in control and dominating the entire time, and i really don’t understand iris’s last move. She literally called it her last move and it was just to defend againts garchomps attack, it wouldn’t affect garchomp at all. Like there is no winning from that position. Did she expect cynthia to just give up if the draco meteor didn’t work? If she did only had enough for one attack in the tank then just use the outrage that already went through the draco meteor as a final kamikaze attack. Honestly felt like a real weak ending for iris.

I don’t have much problem with wheter or not ash tried to do more to comfort iris, but goh appearing outta nowhere is just a big wtf moment. Like geez, at least don’t ruin the moment like that/

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash

Gavinport

So without that it’s up to the actual battle and it was obviously just a glorified haxorus v garchomp. Visually excadrill v gastrodon was actually my favorite, the rain and torrents of nuddy water actually made it feel intense. Like facing down a great storm. But damn was the way they end it amongst the biggest pile **** i’ve seen lately. Excadrill was on the backfoot the entire time, never did noticeable damage, took two rain boosted muddy water, and then just pulled out the cheapest win with an OHKO move. Iris literally went ‘F it, i’m gonna bet on RNG!’. I’ve been ragging on how the writers have been relying on givinv ash miracle plot armor comebacks, so of course i would also call out this one. It honestly felt like iris has nothing if she didn’t have luck.
I think you missed the point that Iris using Horn Drill was a last resort. Excadrill bumped off Gastrodon with barely doing anything, and it would have lost right there otherwise. Using Horn Drill as a last resort move to KO it worked very well. I don't see how you have a negative view over that as luck, it's perfectly fine to use a move like that.

I think you missed the point that Iris using Horn Drill was a last resort. Excadrill bumped off Gastrodon with barely doing anything, and it would have lost right there otherwise. Using Horn Drill as a last resort move to KO it worked very well. I don't see how you have a negative view over that as luck, it's perfectly fine to use a move like that.
Hmmm I'm starting to suspect you're Scott

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
No, that’s exactly my point. Excadrill didn’t have a prayer againts gastrodon. With no way to win they relied on pure luck to do it. Except luck doesn’t exist in fiction, so it’s just pure plot armor and convenience. It’s a cheap win that is unearned but just randomly given.

Gavinport

No, that’s exactly my point. Excadrill didn’t have a prayer againts gastrodon. With no way to win they relied on pure luck to do it. Except luck doesn’t exist in fiction, so it’s just pure plot armor and convenience. It’s a cheap win that is unearned but just randomly given.
I'd agree if she used it at the start, but given she was backed into a corner and did two attacks on Gastrodon prior, you can tell she was using it as a last resort move because she knew Excadrill was on the verge of fainting (and it did since Milotic took it out in one shot after). Even if Horn Drill is a one-hit KO move, it basically is used strategically to take out a Pokemon. It's not a cheap tactic in-universe (ignoring the real life writers having control over the whims of the battle).

A cheap win would have been Excadrill just doing what it did before and this time Gastrodon fainting for no reason.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I'd agree if she used it at the start, but given she was backed into a corner and did two attacks on Gastrodon prior, you can tell she was using it as a last resort move because she knew Excadrill was on the verge of fainting (and it did since Milotic took it out in one shot after). Even if Horn Drill is a one-hit KO move, it basically is used strategically to take out a Pokemon. It's not a cheap tactic in-universe (ignoring the real life writers having control over the whims of the battle).

A cheap win would have been Excadrill just doing what it did before and this time Gastrodon fainting for no reason.
It’s not even strategic. If it was actually used strategically, like by repeatedly using drill run and then using horn drill when gastrodon was already preparing to tank another drill run, then it wouldn’t be a cheap win. It would be a clever strategy of setting up expectations to ensure the one that counts hit.

If excadrill was doing damage to gastrodon with both exchanging equal amounts of damage, and then both use their final trump card with excadrill’s being horn drill, then it wouldn’t be cheap. Since it shows that excadrill actually was a pokemon that can fight evenly with gastrodon.

But here excadrill was completely outclassed, forced to use an OHKO move from an awkward position of being pushed down by the torrents of water, and just did a hail mary hoping this one attack would completely overturn everything. It’s hella cheap. And look i don’t give a crap about what you define ‘cheap’ as, but this i what i consider cheap and where i will leave it at.

Risrhayne

Y’know, after watching certain scenes again, it’s kinda cute and clever that after all of the times Iris called Ash a kid, she bawls in front of him after losing to Cynthia. Pokémon, like a ton of anime, doesn’t really present these majority 10-year olds as actual 10-year olds, so this was a sweet moment to be reminded that Cynthia just beat the beejezuz out of a 5th grader and she’s reacting appropriately.

Decidueye23

FX2QcnCXoAAO2KS
FX2QcnCWAAAPVXG

FX2QcnDX0AEfrLp

It’s so nice that the anime kept reaffirming that Haxorus was showing great potential and keeping up with Mega Haxorus because people wanted this being a sweep so bad and pretend like Cynthia did nothing but just did her nails and opened a magazine during this battle
Not saying iris didnt put up a good fight, she did, but we'll really know if cynthia has been pushed to her limit or not in her fight against ash, as that is when i see her going all out, because she is going to lose. And in the end, it did look like Mega garchomp could still go a round or 2.