• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VS Cynthia! Iris' Road to Dragon Master (1206)

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
If we're counting past companions as best characters then Lillie is the best character imo, especially since her story officially wrapped up completely onscreen. Serena is second and Iris is third but the loses bring her down a bit imo.

Sham

The Guardian of War
If we're counting past companions as best characters then Lillie is the best character imo, especially since her story officially wrapped up completely onscreen. Serena is second and Iris is third but the loses bring her down a bit imo.
And the animation was amazing. Lillie did get the best episode

You what the most amazing thing about all of this is. Guess who’s games are getting remade next? Can’t wait until we get more updates on Iris’ journey.

DatsRight

Lillie is a good candidate but I feel the handling of her family lore is a bit too slapdash (and has a decent games depiction to compare it with) and they could have done more with her as a trainer. Same for Serena.

Iris has some development issues at times as well, but I will give credit how Iris is one of those companions that just REFUSES to slip into the background. Be it acting as proactive as Ash or just giving a good gag to current scene, she kept having an agency and I think JN continued that by having her join Ash in the Masters 8 with her own development to show. Really makes it feel like an ensemble piece rather than just his arc.

I'd give the same compliment to Dawn and Kiawe though they haven't really been given any new development to continue off of in JN, just more fun displays of what strong characters they have.

DatsRight

Really as a side note, I kinda like how there's always been at least one other main character joining in with Ash in his big tournament the past couple series (maybe three series if you count Alain).

Not even speaking as someone who hates Ash or thinks he's boring or anything like that, but it emphasises the Pokemon universe is HUGE and dynamic, and doesn't revolve around him, and really he's the type of guy who flourishes from having loads of foils and friends in on the fun too.

Gavinport

Technically every character advanced some except Dawn oddly, who is basically now used for legendary pokemon plots rather than her own progress.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
FXvk-OVUcAAtUS-

FXzSkhsVEAEPnbW

FXdCUwtXgAA8VpS

The fact that they never interacted in the games but JN made it a notion of giving them a sisterly bond and a mentorship hits.
What happened to Cynthia’s nose in JN? Viewing the last pic ,
iI can see the differences…
And yes, Iris is wonderful

I still wish Iris faced somebody else since Cynthia is so protected and only Ash will be allowed to beat her, but I’ve also realized that they probably want to keep Iris in the same boat as other companions and not let her achieve her goal. That’s probably why they won’t let her beat other dragon trainers on-screen.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I think most of the whiplash Iris got from this series is just bizarre. It’s like people are bitter that she’s getting… focus?

Champion thing aside the fact so many people were praying and convincing hope of her downfall and that Cynthia would crush her was bizarre and weird. Even hoping Cynthia used Momento just so that win “wouldn’t count” when it was shown Iris beat some of her Pokémon.

Instead of hoping you got a good battle you wanted a sweep like like the first battle… and it didn’t happen. Weirdo behavior

This is something random I noticed but the way Iris reacted to seeing Cynthia’s Garchomp made me think that she doesn’t have a Garchomp herself. So her Gible is probably a Gabite at best. I’m sad we never got to see him. I already know it’s better than her Dragonite and we haven’t even seen it battle.

Pikachu979

Sinnoh Champion
I think most of the whiplash Iris got from this series is just bizarre. It’s like people are bitter that she’s getting… focus?

Champion thing aside the fact so many people were praying and convincing hope of her downfall and that Cynthia would crush her was bizarre and weird. Even hoping Cynthia used Momento just so that win “wouldn’t count” when it was shown Iris beat some of her Pokémon.

Instead of hoping you got a good battle you wanted a sweep like like the first battle… and it didn’t happen. Weirdo behavior
Praying on the downfall of a fictional child will always be weird. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Serena during XY but I never thought that she should just never accomplish anything lol.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Praying on the downfall of a fictional child will always be weird. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Serena during XY but I never thought that she should just never accomplish anything lol.
That part. The girl didn’t even do anything this series and wasn’t a “bully” or “arrogant” so this just tells me the “you’re such a kid” was a red herring and never was the issue.

They hated her because of whatever other reasons + they felt their self insert was “attacked” and kept telling themselves unpopularity was the reason she’d never return and she hard ratio all of that and now they’re upset.

She has these people pulling the Arthur first constantly and doesn’t even exist

Imagine because you hate Serena you hoped she lost in the first round of the Master Class? Kid behavior

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Alright, finally watched the episode.

It was alright? I have mixed feelings about it.

- I thought it was kinda silly that Excadrill was able to tank 2 super-effective rain-powered Muddy Water attacks, which by the way are supposed to lower accuracy, only for him to just Horn Drill his way to victory. On the one hand, I thought the Horn Drill was a pretty cool reveal and I loved Iris declaring it a one-hit knockout before her victory, but on the other hand, it's kinda silly that Excadrill just wins after basically dealing zero damage to Gastrodon. So yeah, mixed feelings.

- Dragonite vs Milotic was bad. Dragonite gets a couple of Thunder Punches in only for Milotic to beat it with one Fairy type move and Iron Head? Very underwhelming performance and lackluster battle.

- Haxorus vs Garchomp was easily the highlight of the battle, but even then the lack of strategy was notable. It was just attack after attack with a lot of flashy moves. My favorite part was probably the segment where Iris connected her heart with Haxorus, and Cynthia, noticing that, realized she couldn't allow Iris to make any further moves and that she had to win right away. It was a good way to show that Cynthia viewed Iris as a threat even if she overall more experienced and mature than her.

- I thought it was really sweet that Ash left right away to talk to Iris after her loss. Good kid

- Iris crying didn't bother me. Everybody cries, and for Iris it was a very intense, high-stress battle against her idol. You gotta let your emotions out, especially during a competition like this. I also liked Team Rocket recognizing her and supporting her. TRio <3

- Cynthia looked consistently badass throughout the battle. I adored how she didn't even flinch once as her Pokemon were being thrown into the wall behind her. She just kept a stoic face which made it kinda funny.

Gavinport

I still wish Iris faced somebody else since Cynthia is so protected and only Ash will be allowed to beat her, but I’ve also realized that they probably want to keep Iris in the same boat as other companions and not let her achieve her goal. That’s probably why they won’t let her beat other dragon trainers on-screen.
Nah, Lance is basically a non-character, even Ash and him only shared two lines together. It's obvious the writers didn't care about making Lance have any connection to Iris, let alone Ash. There's a reason Iris was more impressed with Diantha and wanted to take a photo with the female champions than caring about Lance. I never understood people wanting Iris to battle Lance, yes they're both dragon trainers, but the way Lance is written (rather stoic/cold), would make any interaction between them irrelevant.

- I thought it was kinda silly that Excadrill was able to tank 2 super-effective rain-powered Muddy Water attacks, which by the way are supposed to lower accuracy, only for him to just Horn Drill his way to victory. On the one hand, I thought the Horn Drill was a pretty cool reveal and I loved Iris declaring it a one-hit knockout before her victory, but on the other hand, it's kinda silly that Excadrill just wins after basically dealing zero damage to Gastrodon. So yeah, mixed feelings.
I think the thing is she tried to damage Gastrodon twice to no avail, and after taking so much damage she knew she had to resort to Horn Drill as a last resort. Made sense, people have no problem with Alan's Bisharp using OHKO moves so I see no difference.

Gavinport

When did I say it had to be Lance? I was just not in favor of her facing anyone who’s on unbeatable level like Cynthia and Leon.
Who else would she beat? She's not beating Ash or Steven, all that was possible was Diantha. And then Leon would just destroy her in the semi-finals so...

Sham

The Guardian of War
FXvhNxzVUAA0X_0

FXt9JW4UYAEX-8X

Love the moment between them. You could really tell despite Iris taking her time raising Axew and being patient with him, he really wanted to be strong for her and the fruits of their labor was showed here. Defeating Alder and being able to go toe to toe with Mega Garchomp. He really shined here

Best Pokégirl’s ace and best Champion’s ace

Also speaking of game references.

FX6D0yRXkAEUPkD

FX6D0yQXwAAAaq2

FX6D0yRXEAIIkUG

Last edited: