• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

VS Zapdos! Legendary Raid Battle!! (1129)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Battles with wild Pokemon used to be 1v1, not ganging up on them in handicap battles like some Team Rocket thugs. Goh doesn't deserve to catch Zapdos and these raids are nothing but a cheap way to give him Pokemon above his trainer level.

Thank you for ignoring that Gens IV and VII introduced wild Double Battles and SOS Battles, which are always 1v2 in the opponent's favor. And don't gt me started on Gen VI's Horde Battles.

Really helps your argument.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Gen VI's horde battles were the worst even if you have a fully evolved team. I think I remember keeping a pokémon with a multi-target hitting move just in case I run into those

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
That's true, however I'd say that AG and DP balanced Ash's and May's/Dawn's protagonism reasonably well while Journeys sometimes runs into this issue despite having only 2 actual protagonists.

I'm not so sure on AG, May definitely had more long term rivals than Ash...and they really only showed up for the hoenn league, through out the rest of the region and BF arc he had no major rivals to really push him like May did.

Thank you for ignoring that Gens IV and VII introduced wild Double Battles and SOS Battles, which are always 1v2 in the opponent's favor. And don't get me started on Gen VI's Horde Battles.

It makes overcoming those odds more impressive, and as you say it's your opponent doing it, not you the player who are being honorable about it, or heck Ash blasting TR off with Pikachu alone when their using ground pokemon is an impressive feat, even if we didn't see it.

When you have to use two pokemon, one of which is resistant to the enemies attacks, only seemingly "win" because of a surprise attack, and still fail, that says a lot about your training skill, Gou's got a long way to raise his pokemon which is the first step.

Leonhart

Imagineer
LucarioFTWs said:
I feel like Goh got some serious plot armour in this episode. He shouldn’t of been able to take out Zapdos with blaze kick when raboot lost to aerodactyl and Kiawe’s turtonator. Goh really is being handed everything on a silver platter lol

How was he handed anything when he still didn't manage to capture Thunder? Before this episode aired one of the popular arguments against the idea of Gou catching Thunder was that he wasn't strong enough to weaken it in a battle, but in the end he did manage to deal quite a bit of damage and yet that isn't good enough apparently because now he's being criticized for "plot armour". Seems like he can't catch a break no matter what he does.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm not so sure on AG, May definitely had more long term rivals than Ash...and they really only showed up for the hoenn league, through out the rest of the region and BF arc he had no major rivals to really push him like May did.

You got a point but I'd argue despite that Ash still gets the "main quest" and was still the major star/character. May just provided balance in the sense the show isn't entirely about what Ash's doing/pursing while everyone else tags along for the ride. She has her own goals and rivals which balances everything else Ash had going for him.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
You got a point but I'd argue despite that Ash still gets the "main quest" and was still the major star/character. May just provided balance in the sense the show isn't entirely about what Ash's doing/pursing while everyone else tags along for the ride. She has her own goals and rivals which balances everything else Ash had going for him.

I agree, but i also kind of looked at it as since May was the first second protagonist (due to contests being put on the same level as gyms) that might have been another reason she got a little bit more attention than Ash in the case of having rivals.

Granted when sinnoh came round Paul more than made up for lost time.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
How was he handed anything when he still didn't manage to capture Thunder? Before this episode aired one of the popular arguments against the idea of Gou catching Thunder was that he wasn't strong enough to weaken it in a battle, but in the end he did manage to deal quite a bit of damage and yet that isn't good enough apparently because now he's being criticized for "plot armour". Seems like he can't catch a break no matter what he does.
I agree with you about Go never catching a break, although I didn't want Go catching Zapdos, and I don't think Go should have been strong enough to deal that much damage to Zapdos. Honestly at this point, I think it's the writer's fault for having things happen in off-screen land when we really needed to see Go go through more to be at the level he is now. Or it could just be me who thinks that.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I agree, but i also kind of looked at it as since May was the first second protagonist (due to contests being put on the same level as gyms) that might have been another reason she got a little bit more attention than Ash in the case of having rivals.

Granted when sinnoh came round Paul more than made up for lost time.

I kind feel that during May's tenure, the contests weren't really meant to be on the same level as gyms. Only on DP that was intended. I think AG made it a big deal more for May's character since it gave her something to do so she wouldn't be moving background like the companions before (and some of the ones who came after her) but production still saw it as a side quest they had to promote.

LucasMV

I agree but also it's hard to believe a Blaze Kick from Raboot would do so much damage to a legendary Pokemon like Zapdos.

I'm glad he didn't catch it. But I don't think the episode lived up to the expectations in regards to the battle itself. The animation was pretty bad, ok at best.
And we only really saw Flygon connect one Dragonbreath and Raboot connect one Blaze Kick. That shouldn't have been enough to almost take down a Zapdos.

I think Zapdos was portrayed as a rather weak pokemon in the end, and it just spamming an electric attack all the time made the battle unappealing. Also why was Flygon even dodging Zapdos' electric attack before having Raboot on his back? He should have just gone through it like Rhydon and Stunfisk.

And where did that thunder that broke the pokeball and let Zapdos escape came from? Was it the electric type pokemon or Zapdos himself somehow attacking from inside the pokeball?

All in all, pretty meh episode imo. At least I expected a lot more. But I'm happy Go didn't catch Zapdos.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Chloe's comment about Ash rubbing off on Goh just proves that she does actually pay attention to and care about them.

Team Rocket are fools. They think a Ground-type Pokémon is the best one to use against Zapdos because none of Zapdos's Electric moves will work on a Ground type. Well guess what. None of your Ground moves will work on Zapdos either BECAUSE IT'S FLYING
legends typically are only caught if they allow it
Everything in this show is only if they allow it
Battles with wild Pokemon used to be 1v1, not ganging up on them in handicap battles like some Team Rocket thugs. Goh doesn't deserve to catch Zapdos and these raids are nothing but a cheap way to give him Pokemon above his trainer level.
Guess you don't know how legendary battles work in Go

Because Horn Drill is a move with 30% accuracy. It was just missing horribly.
OMG! Thanks for explaining this.

thor94

The joke with electric moves on Ground types feels overused and Rhydon hitting the walls was also unecessary when it had Rock Blast, it really cut my attention in this episode.
No, the worst part is the fact that writers given Ash a goldfish memory, he forgotten (for like the hundredth time) that electicity doesn't work on ground types when this fact was stated only 2 MINUTES EARLIER in the same episode.

Also don't like the fact that Goh a supposed rookie trainer in battle, almost beaten Zapdos all by himself. When you see this, it is expected that people see Goh as some prodigy gary stu who have everything handed on silver platter and Ash being a pathetic trainer compared to him