• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Walkthroughs

Peter Quill

star-lord
Simply put, I decided I was going to make a walkthrough for one of my favourite games. Fire Emblem Thracia 776, this got me to thinking... many people frown upon the use of walkthroughs in the gaming community. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's almost like calling a friend on the phone for help.

Simple: How do you feel about the use of walkthroughs? Do you completely dissaprove, after awhile do you go and look for one? Also, if you wanted to make one, which game would it be for?

Walkthroughs certainly are helpful aren't they?

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I really don't think it should matter how someone beats their own game.

Especially since some games are nigh-impossible without them.

Slick

Banned
I would say going through a whole game with a walkthrough is bad, but I don't care if someone uses it for puzzles here and there.

Cobalt_Latios

I tend to use walkthroughs, mainly in games that have 100% completion for things, or for those certain puzzles that really get on your nerves. And maybe for some boss fights too.

However, I've recently leaned towards video walkthroughs. More specifically: Next Gen Walkthroughs. Did I mention that I used this to get me through the water temple in OoT? (*awaits sniper hits...*).

I don't see anything wrong with them. I use them all the time. I've recently opted not to use them too much lately, but I'll side with them for getting through areas in some games that really just piss me off.

*C_L*

I mainly use walkthroughs if I'm stuck in one spot, or if I'm looking for a certain item/monster/etc (and I'm too lazy to figure it out myself). I think it's perfectly fine if someone uses a walkthrough, but it does take much of the fun away from the game. Not to mention it's tempting to read ahead to see what happens (I've done this to many games, like Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)

If I had too, I'd write a walkthrough for either Zelda: Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos Origins, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, simply because these games are fun to me and I'd enjoy dissecting them for other people :p

Last edited:
I don't use walkthroughs for the game myself, nor do I have a problem with anyone else them.

I use only the In-Depth Guides on GFAQs since I'm a perfectionist and I'll never be able to live with the fact I left something uncompleted.

Cobalt_Latios

I use only the In-Depth Guides on GFAQs since I'm a perfectionist and I'll never be able to live with the fact I left something uncompleted.
I don't usually use GameFaqs, but when I do, it's just so I can see where I'm supposed to be heading. I prefer video walkthroughs. Also, I ain't a complete perfectionist, but I do know when there is something that I just can't accomplish with my current skills. Also, I tend to use walkthroughs for strategies. I'll kind of mix and match till I find one that I can effectively use.

There were a few that I found for Bioshock that I deployed rather effectively. In fact, that was a decent video walkthrough that I saw. Gave me hints, tips (one of the main things I like about walkthroughs), and general strategies.

*C_L*

I don't usually use GameFaqs, but when I do, it's just so I can see where I'm supposed to be heading. I prefer video walkthroughs. Also, I ain't a complete perfectionist, but I do know when there is something that I just can't accomplish with my current skills. Also, I tend to use walkthroughs for strategies. I'll kind of mix and match till I find one that I can effectively use.

There were a few that I found for Bioshock that I deployed rather effectively. In fact, that was a decent video walkthrough that I saw. Gave me hints, tips (one of the main things I like about walkthroughs), and general strategies.

*C_L*

Video walkthroughs are pretty useful. I had to use one to defeat Digital Devil Saga's Demifiend and Satan optional superbosses.

Surfing_Pikachu

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I use them as a last resort thing. Especially when trying to get 100%, like how are you supposed to know that this power up was here and stuff. Its like impossible.

Zazie

So 1991
I really don't think it should matter how someone beats their own game.

Especially since some games are nigh-impossible without them.

This. There are some games like, Persona 4, that will even go so far as to try and trick into get the worse endings and preventing you from playing the last 2 dungeons.

I personally prefer not to reqd through the whole walkthrough to avoid spoilers and I don't like to sit in front of a computer when I want to play the games so I rarely end up using them.

I prefer spoiler free advice that can gives me general tips for beating the game than a walkthrough anyway and it bugs me when the wlakthrough writer doesn't even know what they are talking about (like a majority of Pokemon R/B walkthrough writers).

partyboi927

I mainly use Walkthroughs well... for lack of a better term "being a perfectionist".

I don't really do it to help me get through parts... it's more or less so I NEVER miss an item, summon (Djinn in Golden Sun lol), stuff like that...

Not really for getting stuck I don't think... I mean maybe OCCASSIONALLY..

And I guess same for Boss fights... lol

Mr. Lex

Engineer
I read gameplay tips, but I generally don't use walkthroughs unless it's a game that's evil to you and a tiny mistake gives you a **** ending.

Nothing's more uncomfortable than playing for 40 hours and getting some crap ending. I usually don't use a walkthrough on a first playthrough, though, that's the time you're supposed to FIGURE OUT the game and have some fun.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I use them when I'm compleatly stuck. Or when I suck balls at a certian game that I need to use it to beat the first boss.

How should the way I play a game effect you?

Last edited:

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
my point of view is that walktroughs are good, but any person should first try to do it without them. i for myself make use of guides and walktroughs from time to time to collect things like hidden packages, enemy intel, collectable symbols or whatever you call them on the second playthrough of the game and besides that i also use them to see if i missed anything that prevents me from a 100% completion, that is all, i rarely use it for the storymode itself.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
I don't use guides or walkthroughs unless I run into a REAL Guide Dang It.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I dislike using them. Not because I don't want to ruin my reputation as a gamer or something silly like that, it's just annoying to constantly look at my laptop when I'm playing through a game.

TydinRyn9

Get in da choppa!
Walkthroughs are made for people who have no other options, if they're stuck, if they're trying to get 100%, or if you're like me, you know you might have a hard time getting through it. The last walkthrough book I ever got was a walkthrough for Final Fantasy XII.

And frankly, even it only helped so much.