• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Wally in ORAS chapter

Macromind101

Do you guys see Wally having a role in the ORAS chapter? A lot of Pokemon Special fans were really upset to see Wally being "thrown away" like that, a term now dubbed as the "Wally treatment". There were other characters who received such treatment, such as Cheren, Bianca and (kind of) Hugh, except they weren't nearly as bad as Wally's, who was literally stripped of everything he legitimately earned (such as a Pokedex and a starter) to give to Emerald. And to make things worse, the Hoenn Dexholders don't even seem to be remaining in contact with him despite the role he served in the Ruby & Sapphire chapter. So do you guys think Wally will reappear in the ORAS chapter? In the ORAS games, Wally was given a much larger character development so the writers can do the same thing with him in the manga.

I could see Wally as having continued his training in Hoenn Victory Road all this time after his training in Sky Pillar at the end of Ruby & Sapphire. By the time of ORAS, Wally could have become much more powerful. Heck, he could have been the one to have given Sapphire her Kiruru (Gallade) and potentially get it back by the end of the chapter (as Gallade is kind of what defined Wally's team in ORAS more so than the Gardevoir did in RSE).

shawn_o1

It kind of makes sense tbh that Wally wasn't a dexholder. He isn't a playable character or nameable rival. (That said, why Hugh isn't a dexholder baffles me too)
His role in ORAS (game) really isn't that different to the one in RSE, so I can't see him in any major or supporting role in the ORAS arc.

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream
Outside of a cameo (which we've technically already got in a flashback), I cannot see Kusaka writing Wally into the ORAS chapter. There's just too much ground to cover with very little time, plus they've already got three Dexholders. Although, I haven't had time to read the latest chapter, so I don't know what they've covered and what they haven't covered regarding the Delta Episode.

The ONLY way I could them realistically bringing in Wally would be if one of the three Hoenn Dexholders were to become indisposed, requiring the use of a third person.

DX 2401PT

Monitor
While I did think it was weird that Hugh isn't a Dex Holder (by the official Dex Holder listing in the official site), I think it's because he HAS a default name. Like, all Dex Holders are either playable characters, nameable rivals, or a completely new creation. For the nameable rivals, only Hugh has a default name that you have to erase to give a new name. So for Hugh, he's not really that different from Cheren or Bianca. Or the Kalos non PC trio.

The only notable aspect of Wally in ORAS compared to RSE is the fact that his Gardevoir is now a Gallade. And it can go Mega. But with Sapphire having a Gallade, that role seems quite redundant. Yeah, Sapphire also has Mega Blaziken. But like X, she can have more than one.

So bringing back Wally for ORAS arc... I don't see a point. Especially if the arc is much shorter than RS.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Outside of a cameo (which we've technically already got in a flashback), I cannot see Kusaka writing Wally into the ORAS chapter. There's just too much ground to cover with very little time, plus they've already got three Dexholders. Although, I haven't had time to read the latest chapter, so I don't know what they've covered and what they haven't covered regarding the Delta Episode.

The ONLY way I could them realistically bringing in Wally would be if one of the three Hoenn Dexholders were to become indisposed, requiring the use of a third person.

They aren't dong just the Delta episode. Now Hoopa and the Primals are joining in the fun. Eventually, that is. And we still have 9 to 8 days before the meteor hits.

And side characters are definitely getting involved, too. So far Mr. Stone, Steven, Drake, Mr. Briney, Ultima, Lisia (maybe), Chaz (maybe), Gabby, and Ty have been set up to do thins.

Plus there's our antagonists, Blaise and Amber.

With ORAS being published on Club Sunday, we can't really say we don't have time since it can't be interrupted if a new game comes out. Wasn't the reason it's even on there was because RS was the most popular chapter?

Spo yeah, I expect Wally to show up. We're only six chapters in and the plot has barely got off the ground.

Even if Sapphire has a Gallade, Steven and Lisia don't have Key Stones, either, so it's not like he'd be the only character unable to use Mega Evolution.

Last edited:

Flintoff Cypress

Premium Ice Cream
They aren't dong just the Delta episode. Now Hoopa and the Primals are joining in the fun. Eventually, that is. And we still have 9 to 8 days before the meteor hits.

Figured as much. Which really would be concerning if it wasn't for the next point that you just made:

With ORAS being published on Club Sunday, we can't really say we don't have time since it can't be interrupted if a new game comes out. Wasn't the reason it's even on there was because RS was the most popular chapter?

I keep thinking that they're still stuck to rushing each chapter out to get to the newest thing in the Pokemon franchise. With that said, this does give them the freedom to work at a better pace.

Even if Sapphire has a Gallade, Steven and Lisia don't have Key Stones, either, so it's not like he'd be the only character unable to use Mega Evolution.

And even then, what's stopping Kusaka from giving Wally a Pokemon that would be capable of it?

(Goddamn Game Freak and their lack of a Mega Cacturne.)

e9310103838

Hugh is an exception because there is no a corresponding version with him. He is no different with Barry.

If B2W2 is the first version in gen 5 (just assume), I think he might be named Whi-two or something like Pearl. However, he appeared in subsequent version. They must retain the status of female protagonist, so they had to abandon him.

And I think Wally will appear, just need to wait. ;475;

Ruby implied that he still keeps in touch with Wally; when Ruby reaches Sky Pillar, he mentions Wally and calls him a friend.

Wally has two slots left in his team, he can get another Mega. Looks like Tyranitar is his only choice if we're sticking with the green theme.

Friendly reminder that Wally never got a starter or a Dex even in the remakes. Heck, he didn't even do anything for the main plot. As good as his development was in the games, well, he only showed up before and after all the sh*t went down. At least your neighbor showed up to provide moral support. And I will forever stick to my belief that if Wally conquered the Battle Frontier under the same exact circumstances as Emerald, it'd only could happen through a massive *sspull and making him a Gary Stu.

Last edited:

skyblast

As much as I'd like to see Wally in ORAS, and I'm sure he'll at least show up for a cameo, I can understand why he might not get a huge stake in the plot now that Emerald's around. Then again, this isn't a straight up adaptation of Delta Episode either, so who knows what Kusaka will pull off here. And we've had just about every other Hoenn character show up plus extras, so I'm not worried Wally will be forgotten.

I don't know about Lisia, but isn't Steven wearing his keystone? And he knows what it's meant to feel like for a trainer during mega evolution, so he's probably done it before too. I don't see how the stone guy wouldn't have everything he needed when he's dishing them out to the dexholders.

e9310103838

As much as I'd like to see Wally in ORAS, and I'm sure he'll at least show up for a cameo, I can understand why he might not get a huge stake in the plot now that Emerald's around. Then again, this isn't a straight up adaptation of Delta Episode either, so who knows what Kusaka will pull off here. And we've had just about every other Hoenn character show up plus extras, so I'm not worried Wally will be forgotten.

I don't know about Lisia, but isn't Steven wearing his keystone? And he knows what it's meant to feel like for a trainer during mega evolution, so he's probably done it before too. I don't see how the stone guy wouldn't have everything he needed when he's dishing them out to the dexholders.

Mega Metagross must appear, so I think Steven will Mega evolve it.

I don't know whether if Lisia will Mega evolve Altaria, since Winona also has an Altaria.

And also waiting for Aarune appear. ;330;

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Why does Wally matter in the ORAS chapter?

He has nothing to contribute, and nothing to gain. Wally isn't that great a character:he just has a suit of respirator armor with cannons. Nothing else.

Unless someone can justify his appearance outside of a cameo with an original, non-hivemind response(i.e. NOT shipping(shipping is not canon unless explicitly said to be in-universe, and never in a sexual way), "he's a In-game rival"(May/Brendan is the rival, Wally is a plot twist in Victory Road), "he's sooo cute(subjective and fanboy/girling)", "he got CHEATED out of a Dex"(He isn't named after a version, no way he'd keep the dex), "he is Ruby's best friend"(Citation needed), etc.), I don't even believe this is an issue.

Macromind101

He has nothing to contribute, and nothing to gain. Wally isn't that great a character:he just has a suit of respirator armor with cannons. Nothing else.

Unless someone can justify his appearance outside of a cameo with an original, non-hivemind response(i.e. NOT shipping(shipping is not canon unless explicitly said to be in-universe, and never in a sexual way), "he's a In-game rival"(May/Brendan is the rival, Wally is a plot twist in Victory Road), "he's sooo cute(subjective and fanboy/girling)", "he got CHEATED out of a Dex"(He isn't named after a version, no way he'd keep the dex), "he is Ruby's best friend"(Citation needed), etc.), I don't even believe this is an issue.

What are you talking about? I love Wally! In both the games and the manga, he went from a frail, helpless little boy who seemed like there was no hope for him into a determined and successful trainer who, in the universe where Mega Evolutions exist, was able to bond with his Pokemon enough to Mega Evolve his trump card. Heck, in ORAS he even got his own theme music (and an awesome one at that)! Although he didn't really help save Hoenn in the games, he did so in the manga (and it was no easy task for anyone for that).

Yes, I understand that Wally was not named after a main series game so he was never meant to have a Pokedex and a starter. But based on how much he grew as a character and the contributions he made in the Ruby & Sapphire chapter, I would be utterly pissed if Kusaka didn't give Wally more show-time in the ORAS chapter. It's not like Kusaka to not do so either; every time a character got a redesign through a third version/remake, Kusaka showcased that character with the redesign in the manga (well, aside from the Kanto gym leaders but then again, PWT). And to be honest, the only thing that made me stop feeling sorry for Wally as much as I did at first was seeing other characters get similar treatment (Cheren and Bianca). But those two were still major supporting characters; Wally had better still be one as well.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Yet more hivemind reasons:"he got healthy and more confident" "he got his own theme/redesign". He did this in the game, too. Peanut from Magical Pokémon Journey didn't get healthy, and Hugh has his own theme, but they have more personality than Wally(who seems to be a cross-canon clone of Peanut with a Ralts instead of a Charmander., anyway...)

As for awakening Rayquaza, Wally was chosen because he's a special snowflake. Any 10-year old with Pokémon could and would have done the training quicker and more efficiently. Norman used and abused a sickly child into doing what should have been done by Ruby(who, if FranticShipping wasn't canon by on-page text, fits all the signs of being a closet case...)! I'm surprised Norman wasn't arrested for exploiting a disabled minor. And Wally overcame his issues not by willpower and/or good medical care, but with the Tony Stark solution:Mech Suit with guns!! He got special treatment because of his in-game role of being Gen III's Bianca.

Wally is a special snowflake in the games and in Adventures who needs no more forced and exploitative attention outside of his existing cameo. End of story.

iml908

He has nothing to contribute, and nothing to gain.

You could basically say that about every character not named after a game in this manga.

1. He seems decently popular among fans, especially after his game counterpart's role in the ORAS games. I've even heard that Kusaka is a fan of him (don't quote me on that).
2. He could be used to show off the Battle Resort.
3. Since the Mirage Spots appear all over Hoenn, Wally could stumble across one and fight a legendary.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
You could basically say that about every character not named after a game in this manga.

1. He seems decently popular among fans, especially after his game counterpart's role in the ORAS games. I've even heard that Kusaka is a fan of him (don't quote me on that).
2. He could be used to show off the Battle Resort.
3. Since the Mirage Spots appear all over Hoenn, Wally could stumble across one and fight a legendary.

1. That popularity is not earned by anything outside of "look at the kawaii boy, he's soooo cute, I ship him with Ruby, May?Brendan isn't the IGR, He got cheated out of a dex", and other reasons that are shallow and mindless., and Kusaka never said that out loud.
2.But the Maison must appear in Kalos, because they'd have to tear down the Frontier to show the Resort.
3. And this would accomplish what? He fights a legend/mythical and...what else?

Wally is popular for the same reason that AKB48 and Miku Hatsune are popular:"It's cute and Japanese, therefore give it all our attention." He just needs to be left out of this so Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald aren't sidetracked by 5 chapters of non-Dexholder Deus Ex Machina special snowflake Gary Stu Iron Man/Darth Vader suit hybrid-wearing kids. Why not just give Bianca a disruptor, Youngster Joey a lightsaber and Hugh a Red Lantern Ring if not-a-dexholders with weapons are all the rage?

Seriously, why did Wally's suit have GUNS/CANNONS?

skyblast

1. That popularity is not earned by anything outside of "look at the kawaii boy, he's soooo cute, I ship him with Ruby, May?Brendan isn't the IGR, He got cheated out of a dex", and other reasons that are shallow and mindless., and Kusaka never said that out loud.

Wally is popular for the same reason that AKB48 and Miku Hatsune are popular:"It's cute and Japanese, therefore give it all our attention."

Firstly, you don't seem to understand what hivemind means. People have provided you with reasons why they like him and you dismissed all of them as worthless just because you don't agree. Secondly, your obvious hate for Wally is unreasonable. Wally ships are not very big in pokespe or the games, so that rules out your theory people only like him for shipping reasons. And did you forget Pokemon is Japanese or something? You're acting like Wally is some exception here. Most things are cute in this series.

e9310103838

Well, he said in Q&A that if there was a opportunity, he want to Wally appear again... ;251;

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Firstly, you don't seem to understand what hivemind means. People have provided you with reasons why they like him and you dismissed all of them as worthless just because you don't agree. Secondly, your obvious hate for Wally is unreasonable. Wally ships are not very big in pokespe or the games, so that rules out your theory people only like him for shipping reasons. And did you forget Pokemon is Japanese or something? You're acting like Wally is some exception here. Most things are cute in this series.

I've seen them all before=Wally fan-themed hiveminding.

I don't hate Wally, I dislike people's obsession with him.

You haven't been on DeviantArt, Tumblr or 4Chan I take it?

Most things are SUPERFICIALLY cute. Wally fits in here.

If I had forgot that Pokémon was Japanese, I wouldn't have even cared about kawaii syndrome with Wally..

I just believe that Wally has nothing to contribute or gain to the ORAS chapter. That is all.

LordSerperior

Unless someone can justify his appearance outside of a cameo with an original, non-hivemind response
What makes a great character is subjective and your opinion in no way is better than anyone who thinks Wally is a great character. Nobody here is involved with pokespe thus can not justify his appearance, the people actually involved are not reading this and do not owe you any justifications.

Wally is a special snowflake in the games and in Adventures who needs no more forced and exploitative attention outside of his existing cameo. End of story.
It looks like you have the final say on what's in the chapter, I'd love to hear what else you haven't approved of

Wally is popular for the same reason that AKB48 and Miku Hatsune are popular:"It's cute and Japanese, therefore give it all our attention."
That's generalizing and assuming and even if that is why somebody likes him, what is wrong with it? Get used to people having different opinions maybe?

I don't hate Wally, I dislike people's obsession with him.
Why does it matter to you? People can like/obsess over whatever they like without having to keep your interests in mind. It shouldn't even matter to you. If you dislike it so much, try avoiding threads or fanart with Wally involved instead of getting worked up for no reason and trying to force your opinion on others.

You haven't been on DeviantArt, Tumblr or 4Chan I take it?
Fanart for a ship existing does not mean shipping is the reason for people liking the character. Ships with Wally are nowhere amongst the most popular ships in pokespe.

I just believe that Wally has nothing to contribute or gain to the ORAS chapter. That is all.
The same could be said about a lot of other characters! Gabby and Ty? Ultima? Mr. Briney? Amber and Blaise, they weren't even in the game, Kusaka could've totally avoided reusing them. Mr. Briney? I'd even go on to say Aarune seems like a pretty useless character for the matter? Wally is definitely more important than a lot of these and even if you disagree there is nothing stopping Kusaka from making him more important.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Opinions are opinions. Your opinions are as invalid as mine and the rest of the fandom's.
I never said my opinion has any influence over anyone, and no one has to agree with me.
No one owes me anything.
People can have whatever opinions they want. However, not only can I have my own opinion(s), I can also agree or disagree publicly with and about others' if I want to.
Please stop assuming my emotional state, daily procedures on the internet, and other things about my life. Especially that I am in opposition to you on everything simply because I have a different opinion.

My opinion is that Wally is overrated, poorly written, uses lethal projectile weapons in a series where no guns are used by protagonists, and that his fans have very little objective reasoning why he should be in the ORAS chapter of Pokémon Adventures. It's just that. An opinion. Not a proclamation of fact and/or law or a condemnation of those who like Wally as people seperate from their fandom. I have just much right to disagree publicly with him being in ORAS Adventures just as much as you have to try "exposing" my supposed hatred of Wally, his fans and other peoples' opinions not matching my own.